Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,125 members, 7,821,859 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 08:15 PM

Radiator Fan Not Working - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Radiator Fan Not Working (12125 Views)

Radiator Fan Constantly Running (even When Engine Is Off) / Radiator Fan Not Rolling At The Start Of The Engine. / Help Radiator Fan Not Working ( Problem Solved ) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Radiator Fan Not Working by tsiriman(m): 3:57pm On Oct 14, 2014
Hello guys please i need help, I have a 2008 Honda Accord EX-L, for some time I've noticed that my radiator fan does not come on while my car is on even after running for a long while, but immediately i switch on the AC both the radiator and condenser grabs come on and remain on, if i switch off the AC both fans go off.
Little research I've don't on the Internet suggest that is the Engine Coolant Temperature ECT sensor thats probably bad.

Anyone here who has experienced similar problems.
Re: Radiator Fan Not Working by tsiriman(m): 4:04pm On Oct 14, 2014
Also i carried out some tests, checked the fuse and relay of the fan, all Ok. Jumped the relay and the fan came on.

You think it will be the ECT sensor thats the problem.
Re: Radiator Fan Not Working by ZIMDRILL(m): 4:16pm On Oct 14, 2014
tsiriman:
Hello guys please i need help, I have a 2008 Honda Accord EX-L, for some time I've noticed that my radiator fan does not come on while my car is on even after running for a long while, but immediately i switch on the AC both the radiator and condenser grabs come on and remain on, if i switch off the AC both fans go off.
Little research I've don't on the Internet suggest that is the Engine Coolant Temperature ECT sensor thats probably bad.

Anyone here who has experienced similar problems.

the radiator fan only comes on when the temperature has reached between 86 -90 degrees

a simple test let the car idle untill the temperature reaches towards half mark, then you must hear the radiator fan kick in

if it doesnt then we take from there
Re: Radiator Fan Not Working by tsiriman(m): 4:28pm On Oct 14, 2014
ZIMDRILL:

the radiator fan only comes on when the temperature has reached between 86 -90 degrees

a simple test let the car idle untill the temperature reaches towards half mark, then you must hear the radiator fan kick in

if it doesnt then we take from there

I've done that, I've left the car to idle on several occasions and the Temperature gauge get to the middle but the fan does not kick in. But the fan kicks in if i start the AC and stops if i stop the AC. It doesnt come on with the ac of no matter how many minutes i allow the car to idle.
Re: Radiator Fan Not Working by chillex8(m): 4:38pm On Oct 14, 2014
Confirm that your thermostat is still in place and functioning properly..
Re: Radiator Fan Not Working by tsiriman(m): 5:03pm On Oct 14, 2014
chillex8:
Confirm that your thermostat is still in place and functioning properly..

Thermostat is in place and has never been tampered with, but i don't know if it's functioning properly.
Re: Radiator Fan Not Working by 9icetoo(m): 5:12pm On Oct 14, 2014
Allow ur car warm up till it goes a bit over the half way mark, don't put on the Ac, just leave the car on. If the fan does not come on after the temperature has significantly crosses the half way mark (do not allow it get to the red zone), then you we can take it from there. Meanwhile, do not allow the electricians butcher it just yet.
Re: Radiator Fan Not Working by chillex8(m): 5:18pm On Oct 14, 2014
tsiriman:

Thermostat is in place and has never been tampered with, but i don't know if it's functioning properly.

Did u loose the thermostat housing and saw it there

Pls confirm

Hope no one has tampered with your cooling system wiring also..

Have you checked all the radiator fan fuses/relays

Your car's thermostat allows coolant to circulate
when the engine is warmed up and should be
closed when the engine is cold so that the car can
warm up faster.

It's a fairly inexpensive part that's
replaced easily, but when it fails, your car can
overheat, causing costly engine damage.

Instructions
1. Warm up the car but don't let it overheat--don't
let the temperature gauge go into the red.

2. Turn off the engine.

3. Open the hood.

4. Find the upper radiator hose. It's black, is made
of rubber and is about 2 inches in diameter,
with metal clamps on either end. The upper
hose goes into the top of the radiator.

5. Locate the lower radiator hose. It looks similar
to the upper hose except that it attaches to the
bottom part of the radiator.

6. Touch each hose very carefully (they can be
extremely hot). If the temperature gauge is
indicating that the engine is warmed up but one
hose is hot and the other is cold, the thermostat
is probably stuck closed, and the coolant isn't
circulating through the radiator.

7. Have the thermostat replaced if this is the case.

Google.com

2 Likes

Re: Radiator Fan Not Working by Ikenna351(m): 6:22pm On Oct 14, 2014
tsiriman,

Start the car, leave it to idle. Let the temperature gauge needle gets to 100 C. If it exceeds 100 C and fan refuses to spin without A/C, then you can start with relay or fuse that triggers on the fan with A/C off.

I dont know about Honda, but for some of Peugeot cooling systems, the fans start spinning when temperature gets to 100 C. But on most instrument cluster, the temperature gauges would remain at 90 C when fan starts spinning, even though the true temperature has exceeded 90 to 100 C. But on few instrument cluster, it would exceed the 90 C to 100 C before the fan kicks in. This design may be similar to yours.

Ikenna
Re: Radiator Fan Not Working by abatically(m): 6:53pm On Oct 14, 2014
If ur ect sensor is bad then there should be a check engine light on. If ur check engine light is on then scan the car and post the codes. The ect is located below the radiator. The first thing to do though is let the car idle until ur temperature gets above the half Mark and see if the can comes on.
Re: Radiator Fan Not Working by tsiriman(m): 10:25pm On Oct 14, 2014
abatically:
If ur ect sensor is bad then there should be a check engine light on. If ur check engine light is on then scan the car and post the codes. The ect is located below the radiator. The first thing to do though is let the car idle until ur temperature gets above the half Mark and see if the can comes on.

There's no check engine light, still used my scanner to scan the car and there were no codes.

Ikenna351:
tsiriman,
Start the car, leave it to idle. Let the temperature gauge needle gets to 100 C. If it exceeds 100 C and fan refuses to spin without A/C, then you can start with relay or fuse that triggers on the fan with A/C off.
I dont know about Honda, but for some of Peugeot cooling systems, the fans start spinning when temperature gets to 100 C. But on most instrument cluster, the temperature gauges would remain at 90 C when fan starts spinning, even though the true temperature has exceeded 90 to 100 C. But on few instrument cluster, it would exceed the 90 C to 100 C before the fan kicks in. This design may be similar to yours.
Ikenna
9icetoo:
Allow ur car warm up till it goes a bit over the half way mark, don't put on the Ac, just leave the car on. If the fan does not come on after the temperature has significantly crosses the half way mark (do not allow it get to the red zone), then you we can take it from there. Meanwhile, do not allow the electricians butcher it just yet.

I'll try that tomorrow, I'll leave the car to idle till it crosses the half way Mark to see if the fan will come on.

chillex8:

Did u loose the thermostat housing and saw it there
Pls confirm
Hope no one has tampered with your cooling system wiring also..
Have you checked all the radiator fan fuses/relays
Your car's thermostat allows coolant to circulate
when the engine is warmed up and should be
closed when the engine is cold so that the car can
warm up faster.
It's a fairly inexpensive part that's
replaced easily, but when it fails, your car can
overheat, causing costly engine damage.
Instructions
1. Warm up the car but don't let it overheat--don't
let the temperature gauge go into the red.
2. Turn off the engine.
3. Open the hood.
4. Find the upper radiator hose. It's black, is made
of rubber and is about 2 inches in diameter,
with metal clamps on either end. The upper
hose goes into the top of the radiator.
5. Locate the lower radiator hose. It looks similar
to the upper hose except that it attaches to the
bottom part of the radiator.
6. Touch each hose very carefully (they can be
extremely hot). If the temperature gauge is
indicating that the engine is warmed up but one
hose is hot and the other is cold, the thermostat
is probably stuck closed, and the coolant isn't
circulating through the radiator.
7. Have the thermostat replaced if this is the case.
Google.com

I actually didn't open the thermostat housing to confirm if it was there, i just assumed it was there since the car has never been tampered with since i acquired it about 5months ago.
I'll inspect the thermostat and test it, if it fails i'll buy and fix a new one.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, i'll try them and get back.
Re: Radiator Fan Not Working by chukel(m): 8:56pm On Oct 15, 2014
Believe me, ur cooling system is ok. What u need is patience. Start ur car, open the hood, carry a seat and sit in front of the car patiently. Be ready to seat for up to 10mins. Believe me, ur fan will spin but its kinda silent. So if u expect to hear it while in d car, no way. Just sit tight in front of the car. It will spin.

2 Likes

Re: Radiator Fan Not Working by adanny01(m): 9:50pm On Oct 15, 2014
chukel:
Believe me, ur cooling system is ok. What u need is patience. Start ur car, open the hood, carry a seat and sit in front of the car patiently. Be ready to seat for up to 10mins. Believe me, ur fan will spin but its kinda silent. So if u expect to hear it while in d car, no way. Just sit tight in front of the car. It will spin.

Alternatively, he should sit in the drivers seat with door open and legs outside while the car is idling. Even if he doesnot hear it the rush of heat will be blown to his feet and he will certainly feel it.

If the temperature guage never went beyond half mark, then am 99% sure the fan is working well only when required which most times doesnt last up to 30secs.
Re: Radiator Fan Not Working by tsiriman(m): 11:20am On Oct 16, 2014
Guys thanks for all the help. u

Yesterday I started the car in the morning allowed it to idle for a while till the guage reached the middle mark but the fan did not come on. After a while i just drove the car like that (was a hot afternoon). When I Came back like 2 hours later I parked the car, switched off the ac and allowed it to idle. I touched the 2 hoses of the radiator and they were both hot so i guess that ruled out that my thermostat had failed close. As i was standing by the bonnet for a while the fan just came on, worked for some seconds then when off, after a while the fan came on again. It turns out that my fan was actual working, I just needed more patience.
I guess I've learnt some things too. I'll buy a thermostat and keep for when the need arises.

Thanks for all the help guys, I appreciate.

1 Like

Re: Radiator Fan Not Working by sultaan(m): 5:30pm On Oct 16, 2014
tsiriman:
Yesterday I started the car in the morning allowed it to idle for a while till the guage reached the middle mark but the fan did not come on. After a while i just drove the car like that (was a hot afternoon). When I Came back like 2 hours later I parked the car, switched off the ac and allowed it to idle. I touched the 2 hoses of the radiator and they were both hot so i guess that ruled out that my thermostat had failed close. As i was standing by the bonnet for a while the fan just came on, worked for some seconds then when off, after a while the fan came on again. It turns out that my fan was actual working, I just needed more patience.
I guess I've learnt some things too. I'll buy a thermostat and keep for when the need arises.

You don't have to buy a thermostat they don't go bad that easily just enjoy your car.

Some owners would have taken it to a mechanic first and then problem begins; by asking question first not you know how the system work to keep the temp stable compare how long a fan will last if it is only running for 30 secs every 3 minutes to keep system cool to our mechanics system of wiring it to ignition and the fan stays on permanently.
Re: Radiator Fan Not Working by inze(m): 8:16pm On Oct 16, 2014
sultaan:

You don't have to buy a thermostat they don't go bad that easily just enjoy your car.

Some owners would have taken it to a mechanic first and then problem begins; by asking question first not you know how the system work to keep the temp stable compare how long a fan will last if it is only running for 30 secs every 3 minutes to keep system cool to our mechanics system of wiring it to ignition and the fan stays on permanently.

#word
Re: Radiator Fan Not Working by JUO(m): 8:50pm On Oct 16, 2014
this guy no funny o, are u a comedian? so you were thinking the fan was bad and you still drive the car around? if that fan was not working you wouldn't drive the for 20 minutes. the kin smoke wen you go see from the bonnet/engine you go fear, the result will be head gasket is gone

1 Like

Re: Radiator Fan Not Working by 9icetoo(m): 12:14am On Oct 17, 2014
grin grin
Op was so impatient. Can't blame him though. He was probably used to seeing cars with their fans howling like the engine was on fire. Good thing u came here first before going to a rewire who would have passed the death sentence on that car. Enjoy ur car.
Re: Radiator Fan Not Working by adanny01(m): 8:31am On Oct 17, 2014
tsiriman:

It will certainly not come on in the morning unless you drive. Thats because there is no load on the engine to cause it to heat beyond the set thermostat temp. The only reason the temperature even got that far to the middle is because of the thermostat.
Re: Radiator Fan Not Working by ndidibabe(f): 12:38pm On Aug 27, 2020
adanny01:

It will certainly not come on in the morning unless you drive. Thats because there is no load on the engine to cause it to heat beyond the set thermostat temp. The only reason the temperature even got that far to the middle is because of the thermostat.
What if you put the AC on without driving in the morning?

(1) (Reply)

NAICOM Increases Third-party Vehicle Insurance From N5000 To N15,000 / Rain Driving: These Are The Dos And The Don'ts / Turbochargers Vs. Superchargers: What’s The Difference?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.