Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,770 members, 7,817,132 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:49 AM

Vitiligo: How Do You Cope With It? - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Vitiligo: How Do You Cope With It? (1764 Views)

Dangers Of Harmattan And How To Cope With It / See What Vitiligo Did To This Girl (same Sickness Micheal Jackson Had) / Young Guys With Grey Hair: How Do You Cope? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Vitiligo: How Do You Cope With It? by major466(m): 3:30pm On Oct 15, 2014
Was watching a movie last night when all of a sudden NEPA reduced the current by 90 percent The electricity left was so low not even enough to power my small radio. So I switched off everything.
Completely bored, I decided to browse the net and see what's going on around the world. I came across a publication about a very rare skin condition called Vitiligo.
For those of who may not know:
Vitiligo according to the National Institute of Athrities and Musculoskeletal and Skin Disease is a pigmentation disorder in which Melanocytes (the cell that make pigment) in the skin are destroyed. As a result, White patches appear on the skin in different parts of the body.
http://www.niams.nih.gov/Health_Info/Vitiligo/

As soon as I saw the word Vitiligo my mind flashed back to a program I watched last year I think, on NTA about People having this rare skin disorder. The program featured people who shared experiences about how they live with it.
A lady revealed how people stigmatized and discriminate against her because of her condition, how her boyfriend dumped her because of fear that he might catch it among other concerns. The testimony got me thinking, How do these guys cope with this rare condition? I know Michael Jackson among other people struggled with it through out his life. Remember the surgical mask? That was the early stage of his condition. Its not their fault they have it. As a matter of fact, Vitiligo can affect anyone at any time at anyplace. The cause of it is still a mystery.

Do you have this condition? How do you cope with it in this our society? Why don't you share your experience here and educate those of us who have no idea what it feels like to change color all of a sudden.
I think its time we show some love and care for people living with Vitiligo.
Guys if you have a girlfriend with it don't leave her, just marry her. Likewise ladies. People living with Vitiligo can still look beautiful.
Re: Vitiligo: How Do You Cope With It? by 2cato: 3:45pm On Oct 15, 2014
To me it is mostly an inherited problem with no known cause and cure. Micheal jackson once had the problem and was advice to bleach all his body to white so as not to frighteen people.

1 Like

Re: Vitiligo: How Do You Cope With It? by Ploy(m): 3:55pm On Oct 15, 2014
Just say campala skin colour. I don't have n pray never to have it
Re: Vitiligo: How Do You Cope With It? by Adventurist(m): 4:21pm On Oct 15, 2014
Re: Vitiligo: How Do You Cope With It? by Infomizer(m): 4:29pm On Oct 15, 2014
Ploy:
Chief, those that have it didn't pray for it too nao...The purpose of this thread is not to blow your trumpet, but for those that have it to share their experiences (in case you missed it).
Re: Vitiligo: How Do You Cope With It? by Ploy(m): 4:36pm On Oct 15, 2014
Infomizer:

Chief, those that have it didn't pray for it too nao...The purpose of this thread is not to blow your trumpet, but for those that have it to share their experiences (in case you missed it).

Thank you, Oga I don hear
Re: Vitiligo: How Do You Cope With It? by major466(m): 4:48pm On Oct 15, 2014
2cato:
To me it is mostly an inherited problem with no known cause and cure. Micheal jackson once had the problem and was advice to bleach all his body to white so as not to frighteen people.
Exactly.
Re: Vitiligo: How Do You Cope With It? by major466(m): 4:49pm On Oct 15, 2014
Ploy:
No one ever wished to have it.
Re: Vitiligo: How Do You Cope With It? by major466(m): 4:54pm On Oct 15, 2014
Infomizer:

Well said. smiley
Re: Vitiligo: How Do You Cope With It? by idu1(m): 9:08am On Oct 16, 2014
Op u where saying, if i ve a girlfrd with vitiligo i should marry her? I was like ok the gods of our land ll not accept that.
Re: Vitiligo: How Do You Cope With It? by cirmuell(m): 10:51am On Oct 16, 2014
Funny, some people didn't know that was why MJ did what he did. Op abeg e dey come with pain?
Re: Vitiligo: How Do You Cope With It? by major466(m): 11:16am On Oct 16, 2014
idu1:
Op u where saying, if i ve a girlfrd with vitiligo i should marry her? I was like ok the gods of our land ll not accept that.
They are normal people just like you and me.
Re: Vitiligo: How Do You Cope With It? by major466(m): 11:33am On Oct 16, 2014
cirmuell:
Funny, some people didn't know that was why MJ did what he did. Op abeg e dey come with pain?

You're right. I remember the dominant story about Michael back in the day was that he got tired of being black so he bleached his skin to become a white super star. grin Funny enough, many African Americans held that view for years before they got to learn about Vitiligo.

Vitiligo is painless. smiley

(1) (Reply)

Omotola Looks Great With Make Up, But How About Without MakeUp / Hospitals In Nigeria That Does Prenatal Diagnosis For Genotype Testing. / Some Myths About Your Favourite Foods Busted! (pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.