Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,976 members, 7,810,708 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:43 PM

A friends story ( fiction ) - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / A friends story ( fiction ) (7207 Views)

Why You Don't Need To Go School.(fiction) / In Need Of Fiction Writers And Scriptwriter / Helios Tower's Recruitment: Fact Or Fiction? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A friends story ( fiction ) by adonbilivit: 12:09am On Oct 16, 2014
hmm
Re: A friends story ( fiction ) by menix(m): 12:44am On Oct 16, 2014
Rawdeal:
What would it have cost you to ask instead of being so selfish. of everyone agrees with you, fine, if they don't, get a sweater. that place is overcongested, an AC is necessary there but not to inconvenience anyone, just to make it all easier to bear.
I think you're selfish cos you didn't ask, everyone might have agreed with you and it would be sorted out amicably

I swear, u re dat secretary he talked abt..

OP.. I swear any day u sight them 4 ur area holla mii, especially dat secretary mk I see if there face wuld remain same..
Buh on a serious note som1 deserves death..

2 Likes

Re: A friends story ( fiction ) by aljharem2: 12:54am On Oct 16, 2014
Very interesting
Re: A friends story ( fiction ) by luvola(m): 1:20am On Oct 16, 2014
Op inbox me the name of the audit firm make I apply sharp sharp. . I am serious being a BSC holder accounting....

Order quality footwears from.olak
store #delivery service#.Biz
line.07089328564 :* pin 746f8f4c kindly rbc

1 Like

Re: A friends story ( fiction ) by Nobody: 1:57am On Oct 16, 2014
My personal opinion are the following:

1) It is only right as a decent boss to understand your stance on why the AC is a problem for you. In fact in my office, the person below the AC controls the remote. That's standard. You wan kill am? He was supposed to understand where you are coming from.

2) The secretary (personal assistant) as the case maybe, and (as a good manager, i.e your boss) should have called her to order (returning the remote to the Janitor seem petty). It was like she was all out to cause friction in a working environment where synchronization and mutual understanding was supposed to exist.

3) It is inherently wrong for you to be rude to your boss especially with other staff present (No boss will take it lightly). A good manager however, would have handled the situation better at that point. There was no need for him to be calling out your name and calling you to order. Do they want dumb people as employees? People who can't air their opinion? (especially as auditors).

4) It is unprofessional and immature, in fact, it is a wrong culture to fire someone because of such a petty issue. It sends the wrong signal in a small office as yours to the staff, clients and applicants. People hear stories. It is totally wrong for a business to operate that way.

5) The boss man himself should have been more experienced at handling such issues without signing such a letter as if he was held at gun point.

6) We cannot say because there are no jobs then one should be a fool to rude barks by ones boss. I suppose you are chartered with the so much value you place on your self? If so, you will get a better job in no time. Life goes on.

My conclusion is that there is more to that office than you are telling and I can tell that the culture there is not friendly, professional and forward looking. Staff welfare is not key to the owner.

In fact, if I were any of the bosses, I will definitely suspend you on like 2 weeks without pay and promise to change the ACs location before you come back. I will also restate the job description of that secretary and explain how to handle such situations in the event it happens again.

I am so sorry because you seem the victim here but you went about doing it the wrong way. You were rude to your boss and you got served unprofessionally too.

I believe you should be recalled and punished if they are reading this or rather send an email to apologize to the ogas and entire office. No pride lost bro, it may just seem so. Most times, pride, happiness, joy, love are all illusions and delusions bro. Do what you have to do.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: A friends story ( fiction ) by Saraha1(f): 2:01am On Oct 16, 2014
This most be a joke .
How will someone be sack over such minor issue? There are better ways the firm should have settle the differences btw you guys.

In all, Op, pls exercise little patient in all your dealings in life. Everything no be gra-gra.

1 Like

Re: A friends story ( fiction ) by manjojo(m): 3:14am On Oct 16, 2014
What u just narrated now is a typical example of what happens in most offices in nigeria, be it 1 man or not as long as u get to share a general offic. pride comes b4 a fall, som1 luks n mode of dressin shouldn't b used to judge his importance, u didn't respect d small boss based on dat whc was wrong of u after all he was only tryin to b a peacemaker, because u are an Auditor doesn't mean u shouldn't respect oda pple positions , most secretaries are PA's but dat doesn't mata. D sec doesn't like u because she feels u are proud n don't respect her just because u feel she is just a sec, she is most likly older than u n most hv been in d company 4 somtime nw, of couse she is @ fault just dat u were carried away wit pride. Sorry abot d lose but a bigger 1 is on it way but don't make d same mistake twice, respect, tolerate n don't look down on pple they might b more important than u on d MD lists, sec are always very close to their bosses n not easily dispose of but accountants come n go, am sure som1else is on your seat nw, even among spouse it happens u just hv to tolerate urslves. U are a good writer, n I like ur attitute only it doesn't wrk like dat in a wrk place, n a warning or query would hv been a good lesson but 1 man buz kia.I am short temper n I hv wrkd in worst places wit a lot of bullshit but my focus was always d pay or no pay if i overreact n got out of job. Sori 4 d long tori o. Wish u d best in life.

5 Likes

Re: A friends story ( fiction ) by ohpeyemi(m): 3:31am On Oct 16, 2014
A case of a a flawed character.

@op, your human relation is nil .

Learn to work with others without showing off your pride.

The same thing will prop up even if you get another job.

Work on yourself bro.

2 Likes

Re: A friends story ( fiction ) by Nobody: 5:43am On Oct 16, 2014
menix:

I swear, u re dat secretary he talked abt..

OP.. I swear any day u sight them 4 ur area holla mii, especially dat secretary mk I see if there face wuld remain same..
Buh on a serious note som1 deserves death..

I hate immature people like you. once in a while, think things through before you say it. it won't hurt
Re: A friends story ( fiction ) by seagullbabz(m): 5:58am On Oct 16, 2014
iyisco2001:
we don see you already, tomorrow morning, you and CEO, you need to talk grin

God no go gree yu

1 Like

Re: A friends story ( fiction ) by chemicstein: 7:00am On Oct 16, 2014
Never take life seriously....because you will never make it out of here alive
Re: A friends story ( fiction ) by XtraSmooth404: 7:54am On Oct 16, 2014
hmmm... This is one hell of a story...

Re: A friends story ( fiction ) by Braggante(m): 9:14am On Oct 16, 2014
NairaMode:
My personal opinion are the following:

1) It is only right as a decent boss to understand your stance on why the AC is a problem for you. In fact in my office, the person below the AC controls the remote. That's standard. You wan kill am? He was supposed to understand where you are coming from.

2) The secretary (personal assistant) as the case maybe (as a good manager, i.e your boss) should have been called to order (returning the remote to the Janitor seem petty). It was like she was all out to cause friction in a working environment where synchronization and mutual understanding was supposed to exist.

3) it is inherently wrong for you to be rude to your boss especially with other staff present (No boss will take it lightly). A good manager however, would have handled the situation better at that point. There was no need for him to be calling out your name and calling you to order. Do they want dumb people as employees? People who can't air their opinion? (especially as auditors).

4) It is unprofessional and immature, in fact, it is a wrong culture to fire someone because of such a petty issue. It sends the wrong signal in a small office as yours to the staff, clients and applicants. People hear stories. It is totally wrong for a business to operate that way.

5) The boss man himself should have been more experienced at handling such issues without signing such a letter as if he was held at gun point.

6) We cannot say because there are no jobs then one should be a fool to rude barks by ones boss. I suppose you are chartered with the so much value you place on your self? If so, you will get a better job in no time. Life goes on.

My conclusion is that there is more to that office than you are telling and I can tell that the culture there is not friendly, professional and forward looking. Staff welfare is not key to the owner.

In fact, if I were any of the bosses, I will definitely suspend you on like 2 weeks without pay and promise to change the ACs location before you come back. I will also restate the job description of that secretary and explain how to handle such situations in the event it happens again.

I am so sorry because you seem the victim here but you went about doing it the wrong way. You were rude to your boss and you got served unprofessionally too.

I believe you should be recalled and punished if they are reading this or rather send an email to apologize to the ogas and entire office. No pride lost bro, it may just seem so. Most times, pride, happiness, joy, love are all illusions and delusions bro. Do what you have to do.

You have spoken as a wise man, and i appreciate your candor. Thank you.
I have learnt from that experience, even though i still believe I was right to take a stand for myself.
Its better to keep the devil at the door, than having to send him out of the house.
Thanks
Re: A friends story ( fiction ) by Enoquin(f): 10:00am On Oct 16, 2014
Sometimes when I am late and have to get somewhere fast, I hate any stops...either to pick a passenger, drop one off, a little traffic, anything.
But when I am early, I appreciate any stop even if it is to let a chicken cross the road tongue
That's how much of a cycle life and events are.
What is the essence of what I just wrote? If you were sitting where the secretary was, you would want the air conditioner on, because then you would be feeling so hot and flustered that the protests of the person sitting directly under the air con won't matter.
Now, you are a just a few months old at work; not everyone would warm up to you instantly. Some would have to get to know you. Some would still not like you after getting to know you.
You cannot be rude to your boss in front of anyone. You can gauge the situation and decide what behaviour to exhibit when you meet him privately.

That being said, I love your descriptive ability joor. I like your wit, cynicism and humour. Of course, you'd make a good writer but not just now especially with a 'beautiful' hall to view over the weekend. smiley

1 Like

Re: A friends story ( fiction ) by Debeloved87(m): 10:39am On Oct 16, 2014
Arrogant... that's what I can perceive from your story...it doesnt lead to anything good, hope you find a better job soon.

2 Likes

Re: A friends story ( fiction ) by donigspain(m): 10:51am On Oct 16, 2014
Braggante:

You have spoken as a wise man, and i appreciate your candor. Thank you.
I have learnt from that experience, even though i still believe I was right to take a stand for myself.
Its better to keep the devil at the door, than having to send him out of the house.
Thanks
You have learnt nothing from the experience.

I'll advise you read these three life-changing books:
- Attitude is Everything
- Emotional Intelligence and
- Social Intelligence

While at it, please work on your sexist/misogynist orientation. Attitude is far more important than skill.

1 Like

Re: A friends story ( fiction ) by egopersonified(f): 10:57am On Oct 16, 2014
Did you ever think why that particular table was left empty for the new employee? I am sure this AC issue has caused a lot of problems in the past even before you got there. As much as there are some unbearable colleagues, you still have to do your job and respect people placed in authority there, even of they are kids. All you had to do was walk to the lady and nicely explain to her and even suggest you switch seats just for a day so she feels what you are going through. I believe she would have retrived the remote and agreed to a particular temperature that would work for you both.

By the way, where are those colleagues who gave you hand shakes and praises. Why didnt they protest your dismissal? You could even have left a suit or jacket in the office solely for keeping you warm for those days you dont wear one to the office.

Please, like others have said, pride wouldnt take you anywhere, you could still have come out of this situation with your job and pride intact if you werent seeking cheap popularity from people who cant stand up for themselves. All the best with your next job.

4 Likes

Re: A friends story ( fiction ) by Braggante(m): 10:57am On Oct 16, 2014
Debeloved87:
Arrogant... that's what I can perceive from your story...it doesnt lead to anything good, hope you find a better job soon.

Arrogance? If by Arrogance you mean having a high opinion of onesself, well thank you. What you cant accept as a rich man, you reject it when poor. A man needs a modicum of 'arrogance' to live, else when you lay yourself as a mat, shoes will be wiped on you.

After a number of years in the University, downing coffee and spending late nights reading and molesting my calculator, I'd be dammed to have a secretary treat me with such disrespect. Mutual respect is all that is required. If you know how Ive hitherto respected this lady, you'd know that my response was belated.
But thanks for your estimation. smiley
Re: A friends story ( fiction ) by Braggante(m): 10:59am On Oct 16, 2014
egopersonified:
Did you ever think why that particular table was left empty for the new employee? I am sure this AC issue has caused a lot of problems in the past even before you got there. As much as there are some unbearable colleagues, you still have to do your job and respect people placed in authority there, even of they are kids. All you had to do was walk to the lady and nicely explain to her and even suggest you switch seats just for a day so she feels what you are going through. I believe she would have retrived the remote and agreed to a particular temperature that would work for you both.

By the way, where are those colleagues who gave you hand shakes and praises. Why didnt they protest your dismissal? You could even have left a suit or jacket in the office solely for keeping you warm for those days you dont wear one to the office.

Please, like others have said, pride wouldnt take you anywhere, you could still have come out of this situation with your job and pride intact if you werent seeking cheap popularity from people who cant stand up for themselves. All the best with your next job.

Yes, apparently the last auditor had fights on same issue.
But thanks though. I appreciate your comment. You're right, a Jacket would have solved the situation. (Never thought of that). Ah well, we learn everyday.
Re: A friends story ( fiction ) by Braggante(m): 11:02am On Oct 16, 2014
donigspain:

- Attitude is Everything
- Social Intelligence

While at it, please work on your sexist/misogynist orientation. Attitude is far more important than skill.

Wow, look at that! All this analyses from just this story? Do you even know who I am? And you speak like you have first hand knowledge of me. Lol. Anyways, thanks and you too read this book:
- Fallacies (Pdf)

wink
Re: A friends story ( fiction ) by donigspain(m): 11:09am On Oct 16, 2014
Braggante:

Wow, look at that! All this analyses from just this story? Do you even know who I am? And you speak like you have first hand knowledge of me. Lol. Anyways, thanks and you too read this book:
- Fallacies (Pdf)

wink
Here is an excerpt of your writeup "...Nobody will talk to me that way, especially not before women."

Can you explain further why that statement is not a product of misogynist orientation?

2 Likes

Re: A friends story ( fiction ) by egopersonified(f): 11:11am On Oct 16, 2014
Braggante:

Yes, apparently the last auditor had fights on same issue.
But thanks though.

Not saying that was why the last person left. Assuming you still work there and the secretary resigns, wouldnt you move to her seat and leave yours vacant for the new secretary? Sorry if I sounded harsh but all I kept thinking is, how do you explain why you left your last place of work in subsequent interviews, mind you some interviewers are more focused on digging up dirt rather than finding the best candidate. That might not be a problem though with your writing skills. All the best.

1 Like

Re: A friends story ( fiction ) by egopersonified(f): 11:12am On Oct 16, 2014
*double post*
Re: A friends story ( fiction ) by RFella(m): 11:13am On Oct 16, 2014
kaboninc:
This is what you get when you work in a company owned by one man, controlled by one man. Every decision or instruction must either come from him or be vetted by him.

Worse is when you're having a problem, or beaf, real or imagined with a female colleague who is in the 'lovers' book of the boss. The boss never sees anything wrong in what his puppets do but the day you stand against his policies, question his actions or even make a comment/suggestion that is not in line with his, then your judgement has just begun.

Am a living witness. Though them never fire me. For the op, believe it or not, worse things happen than your case.

Modified this post so I can mention standd ....

Yessssss.....Law 1 of power: Never Outshine the master.

1 Like

Re: A friends story ( fiction ) by Isiterere(m): 11:14am On Oct 16, 2014
seriously ? You lost your job because of AC ? And to think of it because a female was involved?
How then do you want to manage your wife at home after your wedding ? Smh for you .
When you can simply reduce/increase the temperature as the need be,swap your table with one of those supporting you .
Where is your work ethics?

Btw, I'm having similar issue with one of my female colleague, she can't stand cold but I like a cold environment but this has not bring up any issue between us (MATURITY in dialogue).
Op grow up pls; you need to enrol for anger management because of your would-be-wife.

ALL IZZ WELL

3 Likes

Re: A friends story ( fiction ) by Braggante(m): 11:15am On Oct 16, 2014
donigspain:
Here is an excerpt of your writeup "...Nobody will talk to me that way, especially not before women."

Can you explain further why that statement is not a product of misogynist orientation?

Thank you for bringing that up. Now to clarify, if you noticed it happened, but you will also notice a few modifications as Fiction writers are permitted. For instance in the latter paragraphs where you find words like "That was me, I was proud", and such themes. That is to portray the anticlimax and resolution of the plot. From bad proud guy, taught his lessons, to a humbled guy. That is the message/lesson learnt.
"Nobody will talk to me that way" is more or less a retrospective comment, depicting the pride in the character at that point in time. Not necessarily of the writer.

So it does not follow that the author is completely ALWAYS what he portrayed himself as in a fictional work. If i never thought I was wrongly proud at that time, I wouldnt have stated it in the narrative.

1 Like

Re: A friends story ( fiction ) by donigspain(m): 11:26am On Oct 16, 2014
Braggante:

Thank you for bringing that up. Now to clarify, if you noticed it happened, but you will also notice a few modifications as Fiction writers are permitted. For instance in the latter paragraphs where you find words like "That was me, I was proud", and such themes. That is to portray the anticlimax and resolution of the plot. From bad proud guy, taught his lessons, to a humbled guy. That is the message/lesson learnt.
"Nobody will talk to me that way" is more or less a retrospective comment, depicting the pride in the character at that point in time. Not necessarily of the writer.

So it does not follow that the author is completely ALWAYS what he portrayed himself as in a fictional work. If i never thought I was wrongly proud at that time, I wouldnt have stated it in the narrative.
You only attended to the first part of the sentence "Nobody will talk to me that way" what happened to the second part "especially not before a woman"?
All the same, if the story is a product of fiction then GOOD JOB. I enjoyed it. But if it is a true life story of you then my earlier opinion stands:

- Attitude is Everything
- Social Intelligence

Thank you and have a blessed day.

PS:
I draw my inference from your replies to people's comments and not totally from your writeup.

2 Likes

Re: A friends story ( fiction ) by Isiterere(m): 11:29am On Oct 16, 2014
egopersonified:

Not saying that was why the last person left. Assuming you still work there and the secretary resigns, wouldnt you move to her seat and leave yours vacant for the new secretary? Sorry if I sounded harsh but all I kept thinking is, how do you explain why you left your last place of work in subsequent interviews, mind you some interviewers are more focused on digging up dirt rather than finding the best candidate. That might not be a problem though with your writing skills. All the best.

This is the point....
op should answer this...

ALL IZZ WELL
Re: A friends story ( fiction ) by Braggante(m): 11:37am On Oct 16, 2014
Isiterere:

This is the point....
op should answer this...

ALL IZZ WELL

Dem fire me yesterday, I no face panel. Na for Nairaland I come dey face the panel.

Anyway, I wont include it in my CV, shikena. Il just say i was in-between jobs. Cos if future employers call these guys, Im sure the secretary will be the one to pick the call or answer mails. I can imagine what she will tell them about me.
Re: A friends story ( fiction ) by yorke1: 11:50am On Oct 16, 2014
I am only concern about the lady in the drama. You have to hurry up and get another job ASAP. Pls don't keep that sister waiting for long. You know age is not going to be on her side.
Re: A friends story ( fiction ) by Isiterere(m): 11:50am On Oct 16, 2014
Braggante:

Dem fire me yesterday, I no face panel. Na for Nairaland I come dey face the panel.

Anyway, I wont include it in my CV, shikena. Il just say i was in-between jobs. Cos if future employers call these guys, Im sure the secretary will be the one to pick the call or answer mails. I can imagine what she will tell them about me.
funny op.
I called this mindset of yours "ground zero"
Start afresh; better days ahead of you....
Cos I belief your mindset will change before the end of the month.

ALL IZZ WELL

1 Like

Re: A friends story ( fiction ) by Isiterere(m): 11:54am On Oct 16, 2014
yorke1:
I am only concern about the lady in the drama. You have to hurry up and get another job ASAP. Pls don't keep that sister waiting for long. You know age is not going to be on her side.
grin
yorke1:
grin grin grin

ALL IZZ WELL

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Stanbic IBTC Fresh Graduate Trainee Program 2018 / NBC Calling To Choose Preferred Test Location / Work For Jumia.com From Your Home Or Office !!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.