Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,217 members, 7,818,748 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:59 PM

Very Stiff EOD Steering Problems - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Very Stiff EOD Steering Problems (3744 Views)

4x4 Vehicles And Steering Problems / Toyota Recalls 550,000 Vehicles For Possible Steering Problems / My Steering Wheel Vibrates At High Speed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Very Stiff EOD Steering Problems by ismokeweed1(f): 9:39am On Oct 18, 2014
Hi all, I need healthy advice from someone here.

My car runs fine without any issues at all except that anytime my car slows down or stops and I try to move again while turning my steering it suddenly feels very stiff. I mean it works freely only when I'm in motion.

My mech said it's my steering BOX, I asked him if it was the pump buy he said no. He told me that if he works in it and it's still faulty then I should keep 23k to change the whole power steering apparatus (I've forgotten what he called it). Also my radio comes on or off whenever it feels like, I mean it may be on when I switch the car on but after moving a little distance it goes off automatically never to come on again till I restart my engine (and it's not every time I restart the car that it comes back on again). My mech said he will wire it directly to the car's battery and remove it from the ignition, is this wise?

I don't use coolant, I feel I should but I don't know the right type to buy or the way I should put it in my radiator or the amount I should use.

I drive an accord 2004 i4

Thanks
Re: Very Stiff EOD Steering Problems by Nobody: 9:45am On Oct 18, 2014
Cc @seina, car doc etc
Re: Very Stiff EOD Steering Problems by ZIMDRILL(m): 10:03am On Oct 18, 2014
ismokeweed1:

My car runs fine without any issues at all except that anytime my car slows down or stops and I try to move again while turning my steering it suddenly feels very stiff. I mean it works freely only when I'm in motion.

My mech said it's my steering BOX, I asked him if it was the pump buy he said no. He told me that if he works in it and it's still faulty then I should keep 23k to change the whole power steering apparatus (I've forgotten what he called it). Also my radio comes on or off whenever it feels like, I mean it may be on when I switch the car on but after moving a little distance it goes off automatically never to come on again till I restart my engine (and it's not every time I restart the car that it comes back on again). My mech said he will wire it directly to the car's battery and remove it from the ignition, is this wise?

I don't use coolant, I feel I should but I don't know the right type to buy or the way I should put it in my radiator or the amount I should use.

Thanks

lets start with basic

is the power steering fluid full to the write level ?

and for radio check the wiring at the back of the radio, no need to wire it direct to the battery and you will forced to make sure that it is switched off manually because it will drain your battery if you forget to switch off
Re: Very Stiff EOD Steering Problems by Youngsage: 10:11am On Oct 18, 2014
probably low oil, power steering... Once experienced same stiff steering ish
Re: Very Stiff EOD Steering Problems by chucky234(m): 10:54am On Oct 18, 2014
Gauge your power steering fluid and check for leakage.
Re: Very Stiff EOD Steering Problems by BE811APP: 11:27am On Oct 18, 2014
Its ur power steering pump...
U don't need to change d whole steering..

For the radio check d fuse to the radio if its well connected.. He shouldn't try doing thaat rubbish he suggested..

Meanwyl, thaat ur mechanic seems to be confusing u..
Re: Very Stiff EOD Steering Problems by dapperman(m): 11:34am On Oct 18, 2014
Hi. The whole steering set is called RACK. Yes, it may be a faulty rack or the pump. It gotta be one of the above cus they control the steering mechanism. But do u have shortages in the power steering oil? Check to make sure there is no leakage anywhere cus a lack of it makes ur steering stiff. Hope this helps. However, I would suggest you eliminate any fault from the power steering pump before you touch your rack. Mostly it's the pump. If you are in abuja I could recommend you to a power steering expert. He fixed my wife's power steering palava and since then it's perfect.
Re: Very Stiff EOD Steering Problems by pipolad(m): 11:38am On Oct 18, 2014
Hello,

1.Check your power steering fluid and the container itself if its free from dirts,
2.Check your serpentine belt(drive belt) if its still in good condition,
3.Tell your mech to examine your pump,
4.Check for leakages in the steering rack;
5.DO NOT REPAIR THE STEERING RACK,JUST GET A GOOD REPLACEMENT IF DIAGNOSED FAULTY.
Re: Very Stiff EOD Steering Problems by ismokeweed1(f): 12:02pm On Oct 18, 2014
ZIMDRILL:

lets start with basic

and for radio check the wiring at the back of the radio, no need to wire it direct to the battery and you will forced to make sure that it is switched off manually because it will drain your battery if you forget to switch off

Yes it's usually to the right level as recently I top it up only once a week with a little quantity of the transmission fluid. But I don't notice any leaks.

My radio also stopped keeping the right time since it's issue started, it always resets its clock after I restart the ignition. Also I forgot to mention that both the radio and the socket in front of the gear where I plug in the car phone charger go off and an at the same time.
Re: Very Stiff EOD Steering Problems by ismokeweed1(f): 12:07pm On Oct 18, 2014
I will take it to someone to check properly for any leakages, thanks for the help and I will tell if anything goes wrong from there.
Re: Very Stiff EOD Steering Problems by adanny01(m): 2:36pm On Oct 18, 2014
ismokeweed1:

Thanks

I am 90% or even greater sure that your steering pump has failed problaby by dirt in the system. A very good expert steering mechanic will de-assemble the pump and possibly rekit, wash the reservour, drain the entire power steering fluid, replace the oil and bleed the system. This will solve if as long as the is no leakage on the steering rack, even that will not cause the system to loose pressure totally else all the fuild will go out from the leak point. The usual cause of failure is when bad seals from the pump allow the pump to suck air which will cause a loss in pressure and if used in that condition for some time, the pump will go bad.

I drive a 2003 accord and my radio does that too but mine comes right back and may do that 1-5times most times just after starting the car. It goes off and on after some secs or sometimes goes on standby which i have to press power button to start it. In, my case, the clock goes off but comes back with the same time and the CD that was playing restarts from tract 1 while the power port never goes off as long as ignition is on. I will searce for a solution to that.
Re: Very Stiff EOD Steering Problems by Kashif(m): 7:21pm On Oct 19, 2014
On your radio and time going off on cranking your engine, it could be a pointer that your battery is dying. I have experienced that.....

1 Like

Re: Very Stiff EOD Steering Problems by iameleto: 11:16am On Nov 07, 2014
Hi peeps,i have similar experience. can somebody in the house enlighten me more about power steering. Recently i discovered that my steering stiffens and hard to turn whenever i want to turn around. I filled the transmission oil and it works properly but discovered that within 2days it go back to the usual stiffens. I also observe that a hose is dripping the transmission oil. what can is the implication and what can i do? Pls advise.
Re: Very Stiff EOD Steering Problems by motic2(f): 7:41am On Jun 09, 2022
dapperman:
Hi. The whole steering set is called RACK. Yes, it may be a faulty rack or the pump. It gotta be one of the above cus they control the steering mechanism. But do u have shortages in the power steering oil? Check to make sure there is no leakage anywhere cus a lack of it makes ur steering stiff. Hope this helps. However, I would suggest you eliminate any fault from the power steering pump before you touch your rack. Mostly it's the pump. If you are in abuja I could recommend you to a power steering expert. He fixed my wife's power steering palava and since then it's perfect.
@dapperman please can i get your mechanic number i'm in same shoe at the moment
Re: Very Stiff EOD Steering Problems by dapperman(m): 5:42am On Jun 13, 2022
motic2:

@dapperman please can i get your mechanic number i'm in same shoe at the moment

Bonny
0806 098 2900
Find him at Apo Mechanic Village.
Re: Very Stiff EOD Steering Problems by skywalker240(m): 12:09am On Jul 23, 2022
ZIMDRILL:

lets start with basic

please do you know how much it would cost me to change the steering pump of my 2001 honda civic, i dont trust my kazeem.
Re: Very Stiff EOD Steering Problems by okoroemeka(m): 6:17am On Jul 24, 2022
ismokeweed1:

Thanks
if the steering fluid is not leaking from the rack then the problem is the pump,I had similar problem with a 2006 Honda DC and the pump was discovered to be faulty,took it to onitsha,the verdict was #5k to change the pumping blades in the old pump or #12-15k for tokunbo pump,I repaired the old pump and it is working fine,I think Civic pump will be cheaper because the DC pump is same with pilot, Ridgeline and mdx.call inno pump 080+6400+5152 he is the alpha and Omega of steering pump in mgbuka obosi onitsha
Re: Very Stiff EOD Steering Problems by skywalker240(m): 3:55pm On Jul 24, 2022
okoroemeka:
if the steering fluid is not leaking from the rack then the problem is the pump,I had similar problem with a 2006 Honda DC and the pump was discovered to be faulty,took it to onitsha,the verdict was #5k to change the pumping blades in the old pump or #12-15k for tokunbo pump,I repaired the old pump and it is working fine,I think Civic pump will be cheaper because the DC pump is same with pilot, Ridgeline and mdx.call inno pump 080+6400+5152 he is the alpha and Omega of steering pump in mgbuka obosi onitsha
thanks, am at benin city though.

(1) (Reply)

Radial Engines / MymotoPHEV: Pre-order Hybrid, Plugin, Electric Cars/SUV (wt Support&maintenance) / Great KEKE Pimped In CALABAR

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.