Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,710 members, 7,831,219 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 03:42 PM

Nigerian Senate Approves New Punishment For Rapists (A Must See) - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerian Senate Approves New Punishment For Rapists (A Must See) (1638 Views)

List Of Nigerian Senate Presidents Till Date. / Oshiomhole Seeks Stiffer Penalties For Rapists-punch / Senate Passes Sexual Offences Bill, Endorses Life Jail For Rapists (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Senate Approves New Punishment For Rapists (A Must See) by dammyjay93(m): 6:15pm On Oct 18, 2014
The Nigerian Senate on Thursday approved new sanctions for a range of offences including life imprisonment for rap!st.
According to report by the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN), the bill which seeks new punishment for rapists was sponsored by the Senate Leader, Victor Ndoma-Egba seeks to eliminate violence in private and public life.
More specifically, it seeks to prohibit all forms of violence, including physical, sexual, psychological, domestic, harmful traditional practices and discrimination, against persons.
Senate President, David Mark who spoke at the session, said the legislation would address some of the evil customs of the society.
He added that the law would sufficiently protect the people from the excesses of such devilish people.
Mark said the bill will address some of the evil customs of the society, and would sufficiently protect people from the excesses of “devilish people”.
Sections one and two of the bill increased punishment for r**e and other sexual offences and according to the bill, a person convicted under the section, is liable to imprisonment for life.
However, where the victim is less than 14 years of age, the offender shall be liable to a minimum of 14 years in jail.
In an occasion where the offence is committed by a group of people, it shall be known as gang r**e and the persons involved shall be liable jointly and severally to a minimum of 20 years imprisonment without an option of fine.
“The court shall also award appropriate compensation to the victim as it may deem fit in the circumstance,” according to the bill.
The bill will require a similar passage by the House of Representatives and the president’s signature to become effective.

1 Share

Re: Nigerian Senate Approves New Punishment For Rapists (A Must See) by jigga40(m): 6:17pm On Oct 18, 2014
Nice one. I detest r*pists!!!
Re: Nigerian Senate Approves New Punishment For Rapists (A Must See) by brownlord: 6:19pm On Oct 18, 2014
And the most important one "corruption" which affects them is not approve?

We hang petty thieves and the real one get national honors and presidential handshake
Re: Nigerian Senate Approves New Punishment For Rapists (A Must See) by Mologi(m): 6:19pm On Oct 18, 2014
ok.......y wuld i r*pe when i av hundreds......
Re: Nigerian Senate Approves New Punishment For Rapists (A Must See) by donwily(m): 6:21pm On Oct 18, 2014
I still wonder y pple rape.....
Re: Nigerian Senate Approves New Punishment For Rapists (A Must See) by Mynd44: 6:23pm On Oct 18, 2014
I think intimate offences against minors should carry stiffer punishments........
Re: Nigerian Senate Approves New Punishment For Rapists (A Must See) by donwily(m): 6:26pm On Oct 18, 2014

We hang petty thieves and the real one get national honors and presidential handshake

Are u sure u nt a repist?
Re: Nigerian Senate Approves New Punishment For Rapists (A Must See) by donwily(m): 6:30pm On Oct 18, 2014
brownlord:

You must be a rapist...If nt, u wuldnt have compared such a devilish act to anytin
Re: Nigerian Senate Approves New Punishment For Rapists (A Must See) by 9jii(m): 6:32pm On Oct 18, 2014
I know a guy who I always wish he 'll rot in jail for being a one.
Re: Nigerian Senate Approves New Punishment For Rapists (A Must See) by Tallesty1(m): 6:33pm On Oct 18, 2014
Mynd44:
I think intimate offences against minors should carry stiffer punishments........
Like hanging or Life Imprisonment.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Senate Approves New Punishment For Rapists (A Must See) by philtrum(m): 6:33pm On Oct 18, 2014
I hate rap..ist from the depth of my gut and the stem cells of my marrow..
Re: Nigerian Senate Approves New Punishment For Rapists (A Must See) by Nobody: 6:34pm On Oct 18, 2014
Mynd44:
death penalty should do for convicted rapis*t. Though I prefer jungle justice against those bastards
Re: Nigerian Senate Approves New Punishment For Rapists (A Must See) by Gboliwe: 6:37pm On Oct 18, 2014
This one no follow iBeg!
Why would offenders who defile minors be jailed for ordinary 14yrs? What's the idea behind this? Some sick rapistss will now prefer the minors sef sice the punishment isn't as severe.

Adults who are victims of rape are in a better position to overcome the trauma than minors.
I don't understand the logic behind this approval
Re: Nigerian Senate Approves New Punishment For Rapists (A Must See) by Nobody: 6:38pm On Oct 18, 2014
brownlord:

And the dimwit rapist troll want to appear "neutral" but ends up being silly.
Re: Nigerian Senate Approves New Punishment For Rapists (A Must See) by Nobody: 6:40pm On Oct 18, 2014
I am sure it is Sani Yerima that sponsored this section of the bill
However, where the victim is less than 14 years of age, the offender shall be liable to a minimum of 14 years in jail
Re: Nigerian Senate Approves New Punishment For Rapists (A Must See) by brownlord: 6:45pm On Oct 18, 2014
donwily:

You must be a rapist...If nt, u wuldnt have compared such a devilish act to anytin

Trust me, considering what Nigerians are going through daily in a country richly blessed rape is least of our worries.

I was told recently of a politician, not a political office holder, but just a tout/political party member, who celebrated something recently, widely celebrated guess what he was celebrating " First one billion in account" meaning he got 1 billion naira in his account. And decided to throw a party and even boasted about it.

Note: he has no business just a party caucus. Go close to politicians and ask how they make money, the answer is through contract that are never executed just like the case of the man celebrating billion when he has no legal business he is into
Re: Nigerian Senate Approves New Punishment For Rapists (A Must See) by brownlord: 6:50pm On Oct 18, 2014
barcanista:
And the dimwit rapist troll want to appear "neutral" but ends up being silly.

Phoolish, okrika born turn shoeshina to illugunboy,

The man who steals a mobile phone is in prison and the one that steals billion got bail with 750k. No wonder you support the politicians, let them make laws that have corrupt public officials jailed or executed.
Re: Nigerian Senate Approves New Punishment For Rapists (A Must See) by olamydey(f): 6:51pm On Oct 18, 2014
cool
Re: Nigerian Senate Approves New Punishment For Rapists (A Must See) by obijam(m): 6:53pm On Oct 18, 2014
Everly pple long things go stil lobby deir way out,no b naija we dey?
Re: Nigerian Senate Approves New Punishment For Rapists (A Must See) by Mutuwa(m): 6:54pm On Oct 18, 2014
Well lets hope the police do their work diligently,coz they are the prosecuting body which in most cases stall the crooks or subtle their offense with the aid of some few naira notes. Av seen and heard so many cases like that,where d molester confess to d offense but only for the FIR to carry " indecent assault" how painful..then they take d culprit to an " area court" not even a magistrate.. angry
Re: Nigerian Senate Approves New Punishment For Rapists (A Must See) by donwily(m): 6:59pm On Oct 18, 2014
Re: Nigerian Senate Approves New Punishment For Rapists (A Must See) by donwily(m): 7:02pm On Oct 18, 2014
Re: Nigerian Senate Approves New Punishment For Rapists (A Must See) by donwily(m): 7:09pm On Oct 18, 2014
[quote
author=brownlord post=27255075]

Trust me, considering what Nigerians are going through daily in a
country richly blessed rape is least of our worries.

I was told recently of a politician, not a political office holder, but
just a tout/political party member, who celebrated something recently,
widely celebrated guess what he was celebrating " First one billion in
account" meaning he got 1 billion naira in his account. And decided to
throw a party and even boasted about it.

Note: he has no business just a party caucus. Go close to politicians
and ask how they make money, the answer is through contract that are
never executed just like the case of the man celebrating billion when he
has no legal business he is into [/quote]

Y rape is worst than embezzlement, misappropriation or syphoning of public funds is because, in d case of d later, some pple can benefit frm it (at least d family members nd d frnds) bt in d case of d former, it causes a monumental pain to d victim. Pls, dnt 4get dt I'm nt in any way, tryin to justify corruption bt I still c no reason y any sane person shuld b involved in rape when sex is as cheap as groundnut.
Re: Nigerian Senate Approves New Punishment For Rapists (A Must See) by JEITO: 7:43pm On Oct 18, 2014
What about those who marry girls of 17 years and less and have intimate relationship with them even in pains? Isn't that abuse also?
Re: Nigerian Senate Approves New Punishment For Rapists (A Must See) by TrishaP(f): 9:16pm On Oct 18, 2014
Right! Heard that before, buh we even have more molestors rooming around. I hope this implementation brings good to our society this time around.

(1) (Reply)

Nigerian Television Authority (NTA) Is Very Biased And Partisan. / Why No One Is Watching Channel Tv,ait,silver Anymore,nta / Nairaland Political Section Memes: 2014 Nigeria Politics In Pictures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.