Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,763 members, 7,824,189 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:53 AM

Unfulfilled Promises And Disaponitments From People During Wedding Preparations - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Unfulfilled Promises And Disaponitments From People During Wedding Preparations (2242 Views)

Reasons Why Bride Is Happier Than Groom During Wedding Ceremony / Pregnant During Wedding Or Baby Before Wedding / Couples Crying During Wedding... Why? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Unfulfilled Promises And Disaponitments From People During Wedding Preparations by ademega(m): 10:01pm On Oct 18, 2014
When the wedding invitations starts going out, from text messages to printed cards and calls, immediately promises start coming in , some in cash, materials and all sorts . Often times you get disappointed along the way, even stranded. when this happens you wonder why people make promise at all when they know they cannot fulfill to the fullest or fulfill at all. i am yet to get the deep freezer promised by a family friend. if i should calculate unfulfilled cash promises it will amount to 500,000 after years of marriage. in fact , one of my grooms men is yet to pay for his cloth. The most painful one that my wife and i don’t always want to talk about is this my jobless aunty that has been away in South Africa for long ,not knowing that she gat no job or money again (got to know that latter) . she promised both wedding and engagement cake despite the fact i told her that we have been making arrangements with the woman who will help us with my wife dreamed 7 steps cake and about paying deposit of 70k out of the 100k she billed us ,she insisted that she would handle that for us free of charge.she even promised that she would bring 100 raps of pounded yam with soup and enough meat to support whatever food on ground. with all these promises, i prostrated and thank her and my star. And i thought to myself that , though my dad is late but am reaping his good works. she promised that the cake would be ready 3 days before the d day. 3 days before wedding , no cake , i called my dear aunty , she said all was ready , second day , i no see my dearest sister . My wife was furious but i calmed her down that the worst would be to get Mr. Biggs cake . so , on the wedding day , i called my aunty , she said she was on her way , that was an hour to the engagement coming from a 45 minutes trip ! Well, later she called me that she was finally on ground at the venue with the cake and i was relived most especially my wife. My people , lo and behold , when we saw the engagement cake , my wife nearly fainted , in fact ,we didn’t even make any attempt to call the attention of people on sit that there was a cake on the table let alone taking pix . we just left for church immediately after the engagement . at the reception , i never felt that ashamed in my life , my wife actually wished the cutting of the cake and the feeding stuff should be skipped , this was a wedding where commissioners were on sit and if not that Mr gov travelled out of the country, he would ve been around . the cake was "purely ayanma,and yanamayanma" it was bad . my aunty made less than a step cake and it started making the cake less than 12 hours to my wedding . so ,it was not dry and it looked like a dirt from the dustbin and as for the food , i only thank God that there was enough food on ground for people on that day it would have been a sorry case. each time i remember all these, i wondered why people do this to people on the day of their joy. share your wedding preparation unfulfilled promise or bleeped up.
Re: Unfulfilled Promises And Disaponitments From People During Wedding Preparations by dahmie2013: 10:05pm On Oct 18, 2014
I can only imagine! Such things are terrible.
Re: Unfulfilled Promises And Disaponitments From People During Wedding Preparations by ademega(m): 10:25pm On Oct 18, 2014
Very terrible and wicked
dahmie2013:
I can only imagine! Such things are terrible.
Re: Unfulfilled Promises And Disaponitments From People During Wedding Preparations by EfemenaXY: 10:42pm On Oct 18, 2014
ademega:
When the wedding invitations starts going out, from text messages to printed cards and calls, immediately promises start coming in , some in cash, materials and all sorts . Often times you get disappointed along the way, even stranded. when this happens you wonder why people make promise at all when they know they cannot fulfill to the fullest or fulfill at all. i am yet to get the deep freezer promised by a family friend. if i should calculate unfulfilled cash promises it will amount to 500,000 after years of marriage. in fact , one of my grooms men is yet to pay for his cloth. The most painful one that my wife and i don’t always want to talk about is this my jobless aunty that has been away in South Africa for long ,not knowing that she gat no job or money again (got to know that latter) . she promised both wedding and engagement cake despite the fact i told her that we have been making arrangements with the woman who will help us with my wife dreamed 7 steps cake ,she insisted that she would handle that as we want it for free .she even promised that she would bring 100 raps of pounded yam with soup and enough meat to support whatever food on ground. with all these promises, i prostrated and thank her and my star. And i thought to myself that , though my dad is late but am reaping his good works. she promised that the cake would be ready 3 days before the d day. 3 days before wedding , no cake , i called my dear aunty , she said all was ready , second day , i no see my dearest sister . My wife was furious but i calmed her down that the worst would be to get Mr. Biggs cake . so , on the wedding day , i called my aunty , she said she was on her way , that was an hour to the engagement coming from a 45 minutes trip ! Well, later she called me that she was finally on ground at the venue with the cake and i was relived most especially my wife. My people , lo and behold , when we saw the engagement cake , my wife nearly fainted , in fact ,we didn’t even make any attempt to call the attention of people on sit that there was a cake on the table let alone taking pix . we just left for church immediately after the engagement . at the reception , i never felt that ashamed in my life , my wife actually wished the cutting of the cake and the feeding stuff should be skipped , this was a wedding where commissioners were on sit and if not that Mr gov travelled out of the country, he would ve been around . the cake was "purely ayanma,and yanamayanma" it was bad . my aunty made less than a step cake and it started making the cake less than 12 hours to my wedding . so ,it was not dry and it looked like a dirt from the dustbin and as for the food , i only thank God that there was enough food on ground for people on that day it would have been a sorry case. each time i remember all these, i wondered why people do this to people on the day of their joy. share your wedding preparation unfulfilled promise or bleeped up.

shocked shocked shocked

Two questions:

First of all, did you seek an explanation from her on why the massive disappointment?

Secondly, is she really "normal" up there? embarassed undecided

1 Like

Re: Unfulfilled Promises And Disaponitments From People During Wedding Preparations by zizazizu: 10:45pm On Oct 18, 2014
As painful as this is, it is very funny.

2 Likes

Re: Unfulfilled Promises And Disaponitments From People During Wedding Preparations by Zehner(f): 10:51pm On Oct 18, 2014
Kai! Dat ur Aunt ehn.....*smh.......still searching for a word to describe her. angry
Re: Unfulfilled Promises And Disaponitments From People During Wedding Preparations by Nobody: 11:18pm On Oct 18, 2014
NA WA OO. This ur aunty no normal sha.
As for me, my motto is to rely on nobody but myself and God. A man should be financially capable of throwing a befitting wedding ceremony before proposing. Instead of depending on so called family member's contributions. Save urself the embarrassment.
Re: Unfulfilled Promises And Disaponitments From People During Wedding Preparations by Stillfire: 12:22am On Oct 19, 2014
zizazizu:
As painful as this is, it is very funny.

Lol, I laughed too.

OP sorry.
Re: Unfulfilled Promises And Disaponitments From People During Wedding Preparations by breadplanets(f): 7:03am On Oct 19, 2014
What? Hahahahahahahaha..... Op abeg no vex but its.......
Re: Unfulfilled Promises And Disaponitments From People During Wedding Preparations by Nobody: 8:56am On Oct 19, 2014
I have never relied on people before,don't think I will start soon.

People have taught me hard lesson never to bank on them,even in glaring situation.

Op,your aunty no well.
Re: Unfulfilled Promises And Disaponitments From People During Wedding Preparations by Nobody: 8:56am On Oct 19, 2014
I have never relied on people before,don't think I will start soon.

People have taught me hard lesson never to bank on them,even in glaring situation.

Op,your aunty no well..
Re: Unfulfilled Promises And Disaponitments From People During Wedding Preparations by ademega(m): 9:30am On Oct 19, 2014
The fact is , before even making it public that i want to get married , i had my plans and as a someone that is not extravagant and not ready to please anybody at my expense , i had enough savings to take care of all what i wanted , even without my in-law input . And when people promise cow , promised this and that , would i ve told them to hold their promise ? As ready as i was , all promises were just bonus not rescue. When i want to do my things , i dont depend on people's pockets , its not just part of me . So , in ds case , for someone that just came back from south Africa , i never expected such .
nawtiichic:
NA WA OO. This ur aunty no normal sha.
As for me, my motto is to rely on nobody but myself and God. A man should be financially capable of throwing a befitting wedding ceremony before proposing. Instead of depending on so called family member's contributions. Save urself the embarrassment.
Re: Unfulfilled Promises And Disaponitments From People During Wedding Preparations by dBard: 10:53am On Oct 19, 2014
@o.p.. I can totally empathize with you, esp on d promises.
Wen I started my marriage preps, so many promises were abound but now.....
If u ain't careful , u end up resenting a lotta ppl due to d pressure.
Looking to God n noone else.

Funny tho, those u done expect r actually d ones that come thru f u.

Ur aunty deserve flogging sha.
Re: Unfulfilled Promises And Disaponitments From People During Wedding Preparations by Nobody: 11:23am On Oct 19, 2014
Make your plans and stick with them according to your budget if people fulfil promises all good if they dont tou have it covered.
What is important is your wedding held. Shebi the Governor is no longer Governor but your marriage is still in tact.
The point is what matters that day was you were ubited with the one you loved and not who was impressed or not.

1 Like

Re: Unfulfilled Promises And Disaponitments From People During Wedding Preparations by Nobody: 11:51am On Oct 19, 2014
OP, a ready to marry man shouldn't expect any financial contributions from anybody. He should marry his woman within his means. If anyone decides to help you with one thing or the other, always have a backup plan and thank them well.

My young friends once surprised everyone by getting married without asking for a dime from anyone. They even went as far as sharing 3yards aso ebi each for us friends for free so we could all be uniformed. It was a small affair but VERY graceful. No one was put upon cos they wanted to marry cool
Re: Unfulfilled Promises And Disaponitments From People During Wedding Preparations by Janet101(f): 4:09pm On Oct 19, 2014
bitter experience
Re: Unfulfilled Promises And Disaponitments From People During Wedding Preparations by EfemenaXY: 4:31pm On Oct 19, 2014
moreeni:
OP, a ready to marry man shouldn't expect any financial contributions from anybody. He should marry his woman within his means. If anyone decides to help you with one thing or the other, always have a backup plan and thank them well.

My young friends once surprised everyone by getting married without asking for a dime from anyone. They even went as far as sharing 3yards aso ebi each for us friends for free so we could all be uniformed. It was a small affair but VERY graceful. No one was put upon cos they wanted to marry cool

I don't think he was relying on anyone. He'd already made plans and his so-called psychotic "aunt" insisted on helping out. Backup plans are good - to an extent. Take the wedding cake for example, you wouldn't want to have two sets of 7-step cakes out there would you?

I kind of get where he's coming from too.

@OP: You've not responded to my question...did you ask your aunt why the massive disappointment from her?

Also, have you got a picture of that cake for us to see?

2 Likes

Re: Unfulfilled Promises And Disaponitments From People During Wedding Preparations by ademega(m): 5:30pm On Oct 19, 2014
Thanks for that reply ... I was about doing that when i saw yours . Backup plans during wedding Expect one plans to ve double double . U get promises ranging from cow to hall , to decorations , ring etc , just name it .
About ur question , i made three attempts in replying only God know wat ...
U see when i sat down at the engagement and looking at the poisonous dangerously decorated cake , ur questions were part of the thousands of questions and regrets going tru my mind per second . Well , later , i got to know some answers to these burning questions . What i can say is that , that is her life and even her husband couldn't cope that was why she landed gidigba for nija. About the pix , that of engagement i dont ve it . How it got out of that table i dont know . That of reception , i dont think anybody mistakenly snap it . It was an eyes sore . But the pix we took wit it during the cutting is available . Will upload when i am able to cut our image out of it .
EfemenaXY:

I don't think he was relying on anyone. He'd already made plans and his so-called psychotic "aunt" insisted on helping out. Backup plans are good - to an extent. Take the wedding cake for example, you wouldn't want to have two sets of 7-step cakes out there would you?

I kind of get where he's coming from too.

@OP: You've not responded to my question...did you ask your aunt why the massive disappointment from her?

Also, have you got a picture of that cake for us to see?
Re: Unfulfilled Promises And Disaponitments From People During Wedding Preparations by EfemenaXY: 5:53pm On Oct 19, 2014
ademega:
Thanks for that reply ... I was about doing that when i saw yours . Backup plans during wedding Expect one plans to ve double double . U get promises ranging from cow to hall , to decorations , ring etc , just name it .
About ur question , i made three attempts in replying only God know wat ...
U see when i sat down at the engagement and looking at the poisonous dangerously decorated cake , ur questions were part of the thousands of questions and regrets going tru my mind per second . Well , later , i got to know some answers to these burning questions . What i can say is that , that is her life and even her husband couldn't cope that was why she landed gidigba for nija. About the pix , that of engagement i dont ve it . How it got out of that table i dont know . That of reception , i dont think anybody mistakenly snap it. It was an eyes sore . But the pix we took wit it during the cutting is available . Will upload when i am able to cut our image out of it .

grin grin grin

Your choice of words and descriptions eh! Have you considered a change of career? Into comedy? You would do soooooo well, I'm sure of it!

Oya make you do upload pics of that heinous cake make we see, brother. smiley
Re: Unfulfilled Promises And Disaponitments From People During Wedding Preparations by ademega(m): 6:41pm On Oct 19, 2014
LMAO ... THANKS BROTHER , WILL DO THAT SOON
EfemenaXY:

grin grin grin

Your choice of words and descriptions eh! Have you considered a change of career? Into comedy? You would do soooooo well, I'm sure of it!

Oya make you do upload pics of that heinous cake make we see, brother. smiley
Re: Unfulfilled Promises And Disaponitments From People During Wedding Preparations by Nobody: 10:30pm On Oct 19, 2014
People can be so dissapointing,when I did mine,I didn't rely on anyone.It was according to our budget.This year I had my Son's first Birthday.I had already made plans for the cake.One of My Aunt came around before the d day and promised to do the cake free of charge.I even told her to allow me pay for the ingredients,she refused.I told her I wanted a Car,or at least something that looked like one.On the birthday ,see cake.It looked like a caricature.I couldn't even smile on that day let alone laugh.If you can't ,why make promises you can't fulfill.Now my younger Brother will be getting married next week,This same Aunt promised she will assist with the venue decoration.I've warned him not to rely on her .He said he has gotten a standby decorator in case of any dissapointment.

1 Like

Re: Unfulfilled Promises And Disaponitments From People During Wedding Preparations by Stillfire: 10:44pm On Oct 19, 2014
Augustbreak:
People can be so dissapointing,when I did mine,I didn't rely on anyone.It was according to our budget.This year I had my Son's first Birthday.I had already made plans for the cake.One of My Aunt came around before the d day and promised to do the cake free of charge.I even told her to allow me pay for the ingredients,she refused.I told her I wanted a Car,or at least something that looked like one.On the birthday ,see cake.It looked like a caricature.I couldn't even smile on that day let alone laugh.If you can't ,why make promises you can't fulfill.Now my younger Brother will be getting married next week,This same Aunt promised she will assist with the venue decoration.I've warned him not to rely on her .He said he has gotten a standby decorator in case of any dissapointment.

Lol. Another Aunty again? Beware of the aunts! grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Unfulfilled Promises And Disaponitments From People During Wedding Preparations by olu4life(m): 11:37pm On Oct 19, 2014
Lmaooooo. What a funny story. Got an aunt who behaves like that too despite she's a caterer and event planner. She can fumble for Africa. No one in the family relies on her.
3years ago,they wanted to see whether she has changed. They told her to supply just plates and spoons for my cousins wedding. Well we initially warned my cousin to look for option B. Thank God they did. A day to the wedding my aunt was no where to be found. Only to appear during the wedding and say she forgot she was told to bring the dishes. No much talk was done cos we warned them earlier. Lol. We call such people "He's coming" or "missed call".

2 Likes

Re: Unfulfilled Promises And Disaponitments From People During Wedding Preparations by Fxwarrior: 3:42am On Oct 20, 2014
Op I was actually thinking of creating this thread before I saw this.
Never depend on people concerning your wedding not even a blood sibling.If they say they want to handle the hall decoration, band,cakes, souvenirs,food, wedding program etc These are critical aspects. Tell them to convert it to money to help out. If they send it, fine, if not, no problem.

How they feel shouldn't bother you.
Re: Unfulfilled Promises And Disaponitments From People During Wedding Preparations by Fxwarrior: 3:51am On Oct 20, 2014
Stillfire:

Yes, we keep on bothering ourselves what people will say if I reject the offer. She should simply have told the Aunt that somebody is handling the cake. Now you are disappointed.
Re: Unfulfilled Promises And Disaponitments From People During Wedding Preparations by Nobody: 11:02am On Oct 20, 2014
Stillfire:

its the same Aunty o. grin
Re: Unfulfilled Promises And Disaponitments From People During Wedding Preparations by anthoniaz(f): 1:21pm On Oct 22, 2014
Hmmm, God knows we are not taking anybody seriously as our day draws closer.We are almost done with preparations.Some will be like "let me know if I can help in any way".Na "yes ma/yes sir" I dey answer.

Some will buy aso ebi and wouldn't want to pay.As I'm giving out my aso ebi, I'm collecting my money..people are heartless.
Op,that your auntie sha!
Re: Unfulfilled Promises And Disaponitments From People During Wedding Preparations by Bibol(f): 2:02pm On Oct 22, 2014
anthoniaz:
Hmmm, God knows we are not taking anybody seriously as our day draws closer.We are almost done with preparations.Some will be like "let me know if I can help in any way".Na "yes ma/yes sir" I dey answer.

Some will buy aso ebi and wouldn't want to pay.As I'm giving out my aso ebi, I'm collecting my money..people are heartless.
Op,that your auntie sha!

Collect your money abeg. Lots of people make promises they won't be able to fulfil. During my preparations, I categorically told those "aunties and uncles" to convert all the help to cash because some people were already handling it. I even have a cousin who does makeup, I didn't use her because I won't want a situation where I won't be able to complain about a service being rendered. All those things can cause unnecessary headache.
OP, your aunt didn't try at all
Re: Unfulfilled Promises And Disaponitments From People During Wedding Preparations by anthoniaz(f): 2:26pm On Oct 22, 2014
Bibol:

Collect your money abeg. Lots of people make promises they won't be able to fulfil. During my preparations, I categorically told those "aunties and uncles" to convert all the help to cash because some people were already handling it. I even have a cousin who does makeup, I didn't use her because I won't want a situation where I won't be able to complain about a service being rendered. All those things can cause unnecessary headache.
OP, your aunt didn't try at all

Yes..oo.I'm not using any family member or friend for anything. I know some family members and friends that do make up, deco and photography but I am using none of them.As a matter of fact I just bought my make up stuff worth abt 40k.The people I'm seeing charge 50k and above on top sey dem wnt rub me somtin wey I go later wash in the evening...I bought the things, atleast I will use them for more than a year.Another thing is that I wouldn't want to look like a mannequin. cheesy

People are still asking about the aso ebi materials, I told them I have not gone to market.I bought few pieces.
Re: Unfulfilled Promises And Disaponitments From People During Wedding Preparations by ademega(m): 7:38pm On Oct 22, 2014
Sharp madam
anthoniaz:

Yes..oo.I'm not using any family member or friend for anything. I know some family members and friends that do make up, deco and photography but I am using none of them.As a matter of fact I just bought my make up stuff worth abt 40k.The people I'm seeing charge 50k and above on top sey dem wnt rub me somtin wey I go later wash in the evening...I bought the things, atleast I will use them for more than a year.Another thing is that I wouldn't want to look like a mannequin. cheesy

People are still asking about the aso ebi materials, I told them I have not gone to market.I bought few pieces.
Re: Unfulfilled Promises And Disaponitments From People During Wedding Preparations by anthoniaz(f): 7:44pm On Oct 22, 2014
ademega:
Sharp madam
Before nko grin
One has to be wise is this life.People like those they can cheat, I have encountered sooo many of them, I'm not ready to take that chance again cool

(1) (Reply)

Girl Dies A Week After Her Best Friend Married Her Ex-boyfriend (photos) / She Populates The House With Friends. / .

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.