Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,837 members, 7,956,158 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 06:06 AM

Questions For The Athiests - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Questions For The Athiests (1836 Views)

OPEN AND SEE HOW POPULAR NAIRALAND ATHIESTS ACCEPT JESUS / ALL ATHIESTS Are GUILTY Of This / On The Issue Of Morality: Bestiality [for Athiests And Freethinkers] (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Questions For The Athiests by Nobody: 4:59pm On Oct 19, 2014
1.    If there is no God, “the big questions” remain unanswered, so how do we answer the following questions: Why is there something rather than nothing?  This question was asked by Aristotle and Leibniz alike – albeit with differing answers.  But it is an historic concern.  Why is there conscious, intelligent life on this planet, and is there any meaning to this life?  If there is meaning, what kind of meaning and how is it found?  Does human history lead anywhere, or is it all in vain since death is merely the end?  How do you come to understand good and evil, right and wrong without a transcendent signifier?  If these concepts are merely social constructions, or human opinions, whose opinion does one trust in determining what is good or bad, right or wrong?  If you are content within atheism, what circumstances would serve to make you open to other answers?
Re: Questions For The Athiests by gise: 5:12pm On Oct 19, 2014
Well I won't say I'm atheist but I'all apply logic. First its possible there was always something never nothing 2 good would be whatever is positive to society not what a god decided because a god could make any action good just arbitrarily 3 our purpose is to live and our destiny is what we strive to make it
Re: Questions For The Athiests by Nobody: 5:17pm On Oct 19, 2014
gise:
Well I won't say I'm atheist but I'all apply logic. First its possible there was always something never nothing 2 good would be whatever is positive to society not what a god decided because a god could make any action good just arbitrarily 3 our purpose is to live and our destiny is what we strive to make it
NOTE THAT GOD DOES NOT MAKE DECISION FOR MAN
Re: Questions For The Athiests by Nobody: 5:33pm On Oct 19, 2014
The answer to your question is that the flying spaghetti monster created everything within 4 days about 6000 years ago. Fsm is the true God But very few know this,narrow is the way to heaven. To be forewarned is to be forearmed
Re: Questions For The Athiests by Nobody: 5:33pm On Oct 19, 2014
The answer to your question is that the flying spaghetti monster created everything within 4 days about 6000 years ago. Fsm is the true God But very few know this,narrow is the way to heaven. To be forewarned is to be forearmed
Re: Questions For The Athiests by nobilis: 5:54pm On Oct 19, 2014
It is amazing how religious people who claim to have found answers to life's big questions just repose the answers to those questions in a Deity and then they mystify that Deity and tell themselves that trying to understand that Deity is useless as he is a mysterious personality who shouldn't be understood but just believed.

OP, you're trying to understand life's big questions. Now before I answer you, let me ask you some big questions about God. When you answer them, I can then answer your questions.

1. How did God come to be? How did he come about? Did He come from nothingness or did he "evolve/mutate"(for lack of a better word) from something? If you say he evolved from something else, it means he isn't the Beginning like the bible said. If you say he came from nothingness, how could that have been possible since nothingness means absence of anything. It will just be like saying that light came from darkness. But we all know that it is wrong to think that way. Light cannot come from darkness. But darkness can be derived from light in the sense that darkness comes when light is removed. (White light can be broken into different colours by a glass prism. But unifying all those colours doesn't give white light again, it rather gives blackness/darkness). But light doesn't come when darkness is removed.

2. You were asking about understanding good and evil. If God is essentially good and everything that he created is good (because since he is essentially good, there will be no room for evil in him), where then did evil come from? There are two options. It's either evil came from God himself or it came from a source outside God. But since you have already said that God created the universe (universe here means all of God's creation) and watches over it, it means that the universe is at one with God. There is no way the universe can exist outside God since God himself is the life of the universe. Christians will have us believe that all of existence depends on God. Meaning that outside God, nothing exists. Since we've established that fact, it means that if u say God is not the source of evil, it also means that evil could not have arisen from any part of the universe because the universe is in God. So if you say evil didn't come from God, it means it came from nothingness and how could that have been since nothingness is the absence of any existence.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Questions For The Athiests by pesty100(m): 7:12pm On Oct 19, 2014
nobilis:
It is amazing how religious people who claim to have found answers to life's big questions just repose the answers to those questions in a Deity and then they mystify that Deity and tell themselves that trying to understand that Deity is useless as he is a mysterious personality who shouldn't be understood but just believed.

OP, you're trying to understand life's big questions. Now before I answer you, let me ask you some big questions about God. When you answer them, I can then answer your questions.

1. How did God come to be? How did he come about? Did He come from nothingness or did he "evolve/mutate"(for lack of a better word) from something? If you say he evolved from something else, it means he isn't the Beginning like the bible said. If you say he came from nothingness, how could that have been possible since nothingness means absence of anything. It will just be like saying that light came from darkness. But we all know that it is wrong to think that way. Light cannot come from darkness. But darkness can be derived from light in the sense that darkness comes when light is removed. (White light can be broken into different colours by a glass prism. But unifying all those colours doesn't give white light again, it rather gives blackness/darkness). But light doesn't come when darkness is removed.

2. You were asking about understanding good and evil. If God is essentially good and everything that he created is good (because since he is essentially good, there will be no room for evil in him), where then did evil come from? There are two options. It's either evil came from God himself or it came from a source outside God. But since you have already said that God created the universe (universe here means all of God's creation) and watches over it, it means that the universe is at one with God. There is no way the universe can exist outside God since God himself is the life of the universe. Christians will have us believe that all of existence depends on God. Meaning that outside God, nothing exists. Since we've established that fact, it means that if u say God is not the source of evil, it also means that evil could not have arisen from any part of the universe because the universe is in God. So if you say evil didn't come from God, it means it came from nothingness and how could that have been since nothingness is the absence of any existence.
I think I will go with the flying spaghetti monster on this issue

1 Like

Re: Questions For The Athiests by Nobody: 7:19pm On Oct 19, 2014
pesty100:
I think I will go with the flying spaghetti monster on this issue
Ramen.
Re: Questions For The Athiests by Dolemite(f): 7:36pm On Oct 19, 2014
Smallville10:
1.    If there is no God, “the big questions” remain unanswered, so how do we answer the following questions: Why is there something rather than nothing?  This question was asked by Aristotle and Leibniz alike – albeit with differing answers.  But it is an historic concern.  Why is there conscious, intelligent life on this planet, and is there any meaning to this life?  If there is meaning, what kind of meaning and how is it found?  Does human history lead anywhere, or is it all in vain since death is merely the end?  How do you come to understand good and evil, right and wrong without a transcendent signifier?  If these concepts are merely social constructions, or human opinions, whose opinion does one trust in determining what is good or bad, right or wrong?  If you are content within atheism, what circumstances would serve to make you open to other answers?

To answer these questions one would have to know a whole lot about how the universe works, and well we DON'T heck even a great percentage of the Earths oceans haven't been explored yet, but we're so arrogant in our knowledge that we feel we can dictate how things are suppose to be...there can't be something from nothing...intelligent life cannot be a fluke, but what really do we know?

P.S
Here's my analogy, to me we earthlings are like a bunch of primitives in a little village without exposure to technology, then someday an airplane crashes into our village and we begin to ask questions about ourselves, of course 99% of the villagers will say the airplane came from the gods, I'm in that 1% that says "I don't know, sure it's all amazing but I don't know but this God explanation..is bullshit!".

1 Like

Re: Questions For The Athiests by Nobody: 7:25am On Oct 20, 2014
Dolemite:

To answer these questions one would have to know a whole lot about how the universe works, and well we DON'T heck even a great percentage of the Earths oceans haven't been explored yet, but we're so arrogant in our knowledge that we feel we can dictate how things are suppose to be...there can't be something from nothing...intelligent life cannot be a fluke, but what really do we know?

P.S
Here's my analogy, to me we earthlings are like a bunch of primitives in a little village without exposure to technology, then someday an airplane crashes into our village and we begin to ask questions about ourselves, of course 99% of the villagers will say the airplane came from the gods, I'm in that 1% that says "I don't know, sure it's all amazing but I don't know but this God explanation..is bullshit!".
I KNOW ABOUT THE UNIVERSE I DONT KNOW ABOUT YOU
Re: Questions For The Athiests by Nobody: 7:28am On Oct 20, 2014
NOBILIS LETS TAKE YOUR QUESTIONS ONE AT A TIME
Re: Questions For The Athiests by Nobody: 7:31am On Oct 20, 2014
Smallville10:
NOBILIS LETS TAKE YOUR QUESTIONS ONE AT A TIME
GOD HAS AN ORIGIN BUT ITS NOT KNOW TO MAN CUS HE NEVER TOLD ANYONE
Re: Questions For The Athiests by qstar(m): 7:39am On Oct 20, 2014
Smallville10:

Lol... How did you come about this 'knowledge' of yours? I'm curious.

How did you know that god has an origin?
Re: Questions For The Athiests by Nobody: 7:42am On Oct 20, 2014
qstar:

Lol... How did you come about this 'knowledge' of yours? I'm curious.

How did you know that god has an origin?
DO YOU HAVE ANY THING BETTER
Re: Questions For The Athiests by nobilis: 8:04am On Oct 20, 2014
Smallville10:

Since God has an origin that isn't known to man because he never told anyone, how did you get to know that God has an origin?

Is it that you're not a man and God told you personally that He has an origin or what?
Re: Questions For The Athiests by Nobody: 8:46am On Oct 20, 2014
nobilis:

Since God has an origin that isn't known to man because he never told anyone, how did you get to know that God has an origin?

Is it that you're not a man and God told you personally that He has an origin or what?
LET ME prove something to you. God said i am the 'beginning' and the 'end'. That beginning no one knows and also the end. You should not be interested in God's beginning but rather your end. He is the beginning of time and the end of it. He is an immortal you are mortal, he's unlimited with power and knowledge, you are limited. There are things you cant understand until you stop beefing GOD
Re: Questions For The Athiests by Dolemite(f): 9:16am On Oct 20, 2014
Smallville10:
I KNOW ABOUT THE UNIVERSE I DONT KNOW ABOUT YOU

And that's the difference between believers and atheists, while you beat your chest claiming to know everything without a single shred of proof, we atheists are saying we don't know anything and are still discovering but until proof comes we'll keep shrugging and saying we don't know.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Questions For The Athiests by Nobody: 9:28am On Oct 20, 2014
Smallville10:
LET ME prove something to you. God said i am the 'beginning' and the 'end'. That beginning no one knows and also the end. You should not be interested in God's beginning but rather your end. He is the beginning of time and the end of it. He is an immortal you are mortal, he's unlimited with power and knowledge, you are limited. There are things you cant understand until you stop beefing GOD
Lmao........ When did God say he is the beginning and the end? And to who did he say this?
Re: Questions For The Athiests by Nobody: 9:31am On Oct 20, 2014
Smallville10:

Epic contradiction. It is not known to man,So how u take know? U be alien who told u God has an origin? The Bible? How did the Bible know?

When you start questioning things you start realizing you have been duped.
Re: Questions For The Athiests by qstar(m): 9:52am On Oct 20, 2014
Dapo777:

Epic contradiction. It is not known to man,So how u take know? U be alien who told u God has an origin? The Bible? How did the Bible know?

Epic!!!

1 Like

Re: Questions For The Athiests by asalimpo(m): 10:18am On Oct 20, 2014
nobilis:

answer the question instead of turning it on the asker!
Re: Questions For The Athiests by Nobody: 11:03am On Oct 20, 2014
asalimpo:

If I tell u that the flying spaghetti monster created the universe, is it my job to prove it,or your job to prove it?

So you see,It's he who make a claim that carries the burden of proving such claims not the person that disagrees.

Same applies to you,If u tell me God created the universe, u carry the burden of proving it to me that God created the universe, It's not the atheist job to prove otherwise.

Cappish?
Re: Questions For The Athiests by nobilis: 11:58am On Oct 20, 2014
Smallville10:

You have just returned and proven what I said in my post earlier. You claim to want to know the meaning of life but you just repose that meaning in a Deity and then mystify that Deity by telling yourself that that Deity should not be understood but just believed. Meaning that life also shouldn't be understood but just believed.

So what exactly do you want to achieve by opening this thread in the first place?
Re: Questions For The Athiests by nobilis: 12:00pm On Oct 20, 2014
asalimpo:

Even Jesus Christ, your lord and master, turned the questions of the pharisees and even of his disciples on the askers. so why are you acting like asking the questions I asked is outrageous?
Re: Questions For The Athiests by pesty100(m): 2:26pm On Oct 20, 2014
Smallville10:
because one call himself or herself an atheist/agnostic doesn't mean he/she has all the answers, the fact is we are all just as confused as you are
Re: Questions For The Athiests by Nobody: 5:03pm On Oct 20, 2014
Dapo777:

Lmao........ When did God say he is the beginning and the end? And to who did he say this?
YOU DONT EVEN KNOW THE BIBLE AND YOU CAN ARGUE WITH ME. AND ALSO HE HAS GIVEN ME THAT ABILITY TO UNDERSTAND HIM
Re: Questions For The Athiests by Nobody: 5:38pm On Oct 20, 2014
Smallville10:
YOU DONT EVEN KNOW THE BIBLE AND YOU CAN ARGUE WITH ME. AND ALSO HE HAS GIVEN ME THAT ABILITY TO UNDERSTAND HIM

You haven't answered the question.
Re: Questions For The Athiests by Nobody: 5:52pm On Oct 20, 2014
Dapo777:

U MOST BE REALLY FOOLISH FOR ASK THIS. YOU DONT EVEN KNOW ABOUT MY CHRISTANITY YET U ASK QUESTION WITH NO SENSE. LOOK AT YOUR STUPID QUESTION
Re: Questions For The Athiests by Nobody: 5:56pm On Oct 20, 2014
nobilis:

you have just returned and proven what I said in my post earlier. You claim to want to the meaning of life but you just repose that meaning in a Deity and then mystify that Deity by telling yourself that that Deity should not be understood but just believed. Meaning that life also shouldn't be understood but just believed.

So what exactly do you want to achieve by opening this thread in the first place?
NO ONE HAS SEEN HIM YET WE KNOW HE EXISTS BECAUSE WE HEAR FROM HIM
Re: Questions For The Athiests by Nobody: 5:59pm On Oct 20, 2014
Dapo777:

You haven't answered the question.
THIS IS A STUPID QUESTION BUT NEVER THE LESS HE SAID SO IN HIS WORD
Re: Questions For The Athiests by Nobody: 6:01pm On Oct 20, 2014
pesty100:
because one call himself or herself an atheist/agnostic doesn't mean he/she has all the answers, the fact is we are all just as confused as you are
i know you re confused but am not
Re: Questions For The Athiests by nobilis: 6:08pm On Oct 20, 2014
Smallville10:
NO ONE HAS SEEN HIM YET WE KNOW HE EXISTS BECAUSE WE HEAR FROM HIM

I can't believe I'm engaging in this hide and seek banter with you.
Go and meet your other Christian friends and ask them to educate you better on how to converse with and present your points to unbelievers.
Pardon me if I'm wrong, but from your words, you're just a baby christian. You're just repeating words you learned by rote (just like we were taught catechism in those days).

(1) (2) (Reply)

Religion Has Done More Harm Than Good / Sermon Jotters:month Of Grace! Tap Into The Great Grace Of God / Atheists And Freethinkers, What Do Y'all Do On Christmas Day And December 31st?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.