Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,600 members, 7,809,179 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:22 AM

The Uselessness Of White Wedding In African Societies!!! - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Uselessness Of White Wedding In African Societies!!! (34859 Views)

The Hidden History Of White Slavery! / The Whiteman And Emergence Of New Societies In Igboland. / Do You Believe In African Bullet Proof? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Uselessness Of White Wedding In African Societies!!! by kevoh(m): 4:28pm On Feb 23, 2015
2014 thread .Nice. Not a S.BAN post angry
Re: The Uselessness Of White Wedding In African Societies!!! by jay44(m): 4:29pm On Feb 23, 2015
ok na

Re: The Uselessness Of White Wedding In African Societies!!! by Misogynist2014(m): 4:33pm On Feb 23, 2015
If you have money do it, if you don't, its not by force. All man seeks for is happiness, if you can guarantee it by doing so, so be it. Truth be told, its not compulsory, but for the kind of society we live, its necessary.

1 Like

Re: The Uselessness Of White Wedding In African Societies!!! by kevoh(m): 4:33pm On Feb 23, 2015
teemanbastos:
gbagbe ooo....
We shud alxo dump christianity for traditional medicine?!

Please, explain to the house what you mean by traditional medicine? undecided Your post is confusing
Re: The Uselessness Of White Wedding In African Societies!!! by nanizle(m): 4:34pm On Feb 23, 2015
I've always wondered why person go do weddings two times.

Lets all stick with our tradition.
Re: The Uselessness Of White Wedding In African Societies!!! by honeric01(m): 4:35pm On Feb 23, 2015
You are preaching to deaf people especially some Nigerian women?

Some would rather do away with traditional wedding then not wear that white gown they dream of every day of their lives.

2 Likes

Re: The Uselessness Of White Wedding In African Societies!!! by Moukafoam(f): 4:36pm On Feb 23, 2015
A wedding that is not Biblical undecided

1 Like

Re: The Uselessness Of White Wedding In African Societies!!! by Cutehector(m): 4:38pm On Feb 23, 2015
joywendy:
really op no one is focusing you to do a white wedding.
just say you don't want to do it, than coming here to rant that it's unafrican. There is always a court marriage which is way much cheaper and faster, if that's your problem.

the trad marriage does it offer a certificate to prove that you are both married? i think not correct me if am wrong. that the most important thing in a wedding the marriage certificate.

There are many things we do in Africa that's not a part of our culture from the beginning. you may as well throw your college degree in to the bin since it's un African. you may as well stop typing in English and start typing in your native dialect because every other thing is unafrican. you may as well stop wearing western attire because its unafrican. you may as well drop your religion and go back to the African religion of sango and all because its unAfrican.

if you claim you want to boost the African culture.

ladies who tend to just be normal and don't apply facial makeup are seen as members of the s.u. when she does she is suffering from cultural slavery.
The generalization in your post irritates me.
i know some ladies who prefer trad wedding to the white one.

everyone knows that the white wedding isn't from Christianity. so what exactly are you blabbing about?

inferiority complex
i laugh in Swahili ain't you part of those Africans?
who discriminate others who are trying to continue the old culture by referring to some of things done has barbaric? you will be the first to point fingers at people who decided to wore bare on their feet and tie wrapper.

#smh

hypocrisy at it's peak. undecided
how much is your bride price? Cuz ur intelligence is outstanding!

2 Likes

Re: The Uselessness Of White Wedding In African Societies!!! by chynergy1(m): 4:41pm On Feb 23, 2015
NOT REALLY A PURE WASTE OF RESOURCES. JUST DID IT TO PLEASE MY WIFE WALAHI....
I DON'T ALWAYS SUBSCRIBE TO IT
Re: The Uselessness Of White Wedding In African Societies!!! by DuchessLily(f): 4:43pm On Feb 23, 2015
What is white wedding?? It's only traditional wedding, church wedding and court wedding I knw oo...
Re: The Uselessness Of White Wedding In African Societies!!! by itops(f): 4:48pm On Feb 23, 2015
To those that can do It , do it. If u can't , don't , is a thing of choice.
Re: The Uselessness Of White Wedding In African Societies!!! by mmsen: 4:49pm On Feb 23, 2015
Waste of time and money for sure.

To those who say that they did it to satiate the childish demands of the woman - I pity you, that is an unfortunate way to begin an adult commitment.

2 Likes

Re: The Uselessness Of White Wedding In African Societies!!! by Femsyn(m): 4:49pm On Feb 23, 2015
This is an over-flogged issue. The truth is, people won't listen. Logically, you are right on all grounds, but on the other hand, we are Africans/Nigerians, and we love parties! How else do you expect us to show off our wealth? How do we tell, even those who don't care, that we've "arrived"?
People throw parties for the flimsiest reasons - Tokunbo comes from UK, Party!; Chidinma gives birth - Dedication, Naming, Chike goes to Church...

Sometimes I wonder the craze, cos I've never attended a traditional wedding where they brought out horns, pigeon or cowries; it has always been a bible.

We just love the stress, show-off and plenty aso-ebi.

Ideally, just one wedding is enough! But for legality and certificate, one needs the Registry. In fact, registry certificate is more tenable legally than church cert, so why the fuss??

One question for the white wedding comrades...
Will your family take your marriage serious if you do a white wedding without a Traditional wedding?

3 Likes

Re: The Uselessness Of White Wedding In African Societies!!! by Nobody: 4:50pm On Feb 23, 2015
joywendy:
just say you don't want to do it, than coming here to rant that it's unafrican. There is always a court marriage which is way much cheaper and faster, if that's your problem.

the trad marriage does it offer a certificate to prove that you are both married? i think not correct me if am wrong. that the most important thing in a wedding the marriage certificate.

There are many things we do in Africa that's not a part of our culture from the beginning. you may as well throw your college degree in to the bin since it's un African. you may as well stop typing in English and start typing in your native dialect because every other thing is unafrican. you may as well stop wearing western attire because its unafrican. you may as well drop your religion and go back to the African religion of sango and all because its unAfrican.

ladies who tend to just be normal and don't apply facial makeup are seen as members of the s.u. when she does she is suffering from cultural slavery.

everyone knows that the white wedding isn't from Christianity. so what exactly are you blabbing about?

inferiority complex
who discriminate others who are trying to continue the old culture by referring to some of things done has barbaric? you will be the first to point fingers at people who decided to wore bare on their feet and tie wrapper.

#smh

This is different. Yes, we imitate other western cultures. It is understandable for practices we have no alternatives and we cannot do without in this modern age however what is the essence of keeping those western cultures we can do without especially when we have got better alternatives. angry

Two different cultural weddings for the same purpose, I say it is insanity and inferiority complex

9 Likes

Re: The Uselessness Of White Wedding In African Societies!!! by donodion(m): 4:50pm On Feb 23, 2015
White wedding, over the years, has been erroneously seen by
many Africans (Nigerians) as a Christian practice. If truth be
told, white wedding has nothing to do with Christianity. All the
marriages that are recorded in the Bible were done in the trad
way...from Genesis to Revelation. Even the one Jesus attended
and performed His first miracle was done in the Jewish trad
way. Jesus never went there as a bishop, pastor, etc to officiate
the marriage. He went as every other guests.

So so so true.100%

Its the copy copy mentality my person.
Re: The Uselessness Of White Wedding In African Societies!!! by hensben(m): 4:50pm On Feb 23, 2015
Amusaopeyemi:
White wedding is useless. As a matter of fact I don't even believe in wedding sef.
It is pure waste of money. Why sign a piece of paper or wear one silly ring to prove my love to you?
Sweery you are right but traditional marriage is ok, white wedding should be abolish ASAP...
Re: The Uselessness Of White Wedding In African Societies!!! by Nobody: 4:50pm On Feb 23, 2015
The other thing that enrages me is how they refer to white wedding as church wedding, Excuseer?angry
Re: The Uselessness Of White Wedding In African Societies!!! by selfemployed(m): 4:51pm On Feb 23, 2015
Rapmoney:
As the name implies, 'white wedding' is a cultural way of getting married in the western world. Why do Africans now see it as superior to the normal African cultural marriage where two families meet and dowry is paid? Of what sense does it make to do African traditional marriage and still crown it all with this so-called annoying white wedding? Must we Africans wear those ill-fitting suits and gowns to prove that we have now been married? I personally think Africans are relegating their culture to the background and promoting the white man's culture!

I overheard a colleague of mine at work telling someone that it is a sin to sleep with your 'wife' if the white wedding is not done, even though the dowry has been paid. To me, that is the highest level of cultural inferiority and slavery!!! Are we saying that our cultural marriage is not sufficient? That it must be completed by white wedding?

Our women are not helping matters because they are the most significant agents of cultural slavery. With so much artificial stuffs on them-fake hair(Brazilian, Indian, Peruvian, Venezuelan, Colombian etc), fake eye-lashes, fake nails, fake names, etc, none would want to be married only in our traditional way. Tell a naija girl that you would want only a trad and see the speed she go take leave you. Even the speed of a Bugatti Veron dey learn.

White wedding, over the years, has been erroneously seen by many Africans (Nigerians) as a Christian practice. If truth be told, white wedding has nothing to do with Christianity. All the marriages that are recorded in the Bible were done in the trad way...from Genesis to Revelation. Even the one Jesus attended and performed His first miracle was done in the Jewish trad way. Jesus never went there as a bishop, pastor, etc to officiate the marriage. He went as every other guests.

We need to promote our culture because the whites do not marry in our own way. This reminds me of Mr Okadu and Mr Tsiba, characters in Kobina Sekyi's 'The Blinkard'.

White wedding is useless and irrelevant in our culture. It makes mockery of us.

Lets discuss this monster eating the brains of our people? Thanks. wink

One bottle of lacasara for u with a gala.

imagine. the church can not wed someone unless the person has done the traditional wedding.

why not merge the both together. carry ur pastor and church members to the traditional wedding and wear a white traditional dress.
after everything, come to church on sunday and give thanks.

how about WEDDING RECEPTIONS, that thing need to be scraped. i don't attend any.

1 Like

Re: The Uselessness Of White Wedding In African Societies!!! by anonym0us: 4:52pm On Feb 23, 2015
joywendy:

inferiority complex

#smh

Jesus please come and see me with your pastor

signed:English language teacher

Re: The Uselessness Of White Wedding In African Societies!!! by aviazuva: 4:53pm On Feb 23, 2015
White weddings are really useless and enslaving, if traditional wedding had taken place.

The couple are already married when the two families accept and give their blessing.

What will a priest who is without experience be telling would be husband and wife?
Re: The Uselessness Of White Wedding In African Societies!!! by Ishilove: 4:53pm On Feb 23, 2015
Misogynist2014:
If you have money do it, if you don't, its not by force. All man seeks for is happiness, if you can guarantee it my doing so, so be it. Truth be told, its not compulsory, but for the kind of society we live, its necessary.
Necessary for?
Re: The Uselessness Of White Wedding In African Societies!!! by OgenemaroKessy(m): 4:54pm On Feb 23, 2015
joywendy:

i get that, but whose fault is that?

ask yourself that question.

no one is putting anything above the culture if we were, there will be no trad wedding at all to begin with.
Says who? From where did you base your point? Did you actually need certificate to prove your married?
Nawao ooh for Naija self.

like i mentioned earlier a certificate is not issued after a trad wedding so indirectly when you sleep with her after the trad, it is seen as not right. As you guys are according to the law not married.
Re: The Uselessness Of White Wedding In African Societies!!! by raayah(f): 4:56pm On Feb 23, 2015
cupidora:
01:27 am ...typing

LOL! Shouldn't you be in bed?
Re: The Uselessness Of White Wedding In African Societies!!! by haibe(m): 4:56pm On Feb 23, 2015
The real.truth is that majority of Africans have at least an atom of inferiority complex, however that of the Nigerian ladies is to the extreme.

Wedding is wedding, white wedding is just a white tradition of visiting the church for marriage binding, you don'thave to do this Iif you have wedded in the Nigerian way but since it is the dream of every lady to wear that beautiful wedding gown, they won't give up on this white wedding, oh yes, it is because of the sparklings and materiality that comes with this wedding that most ladies love it, not because they love God so much to want to visit a church for wedding..

2 Likes

Re: The Uselessness Of White Wedding In African Societies!!! by hensben(m): 4:56pm On Feb 23, 2015
Moukafoam:
A wedding that is not Biblical undecided
See you..na white wedding come dey biblical undecided.....my friend go read ur bible very well, both are approve by our Lord...why perform two traditional wedding huh..any sense dey there..Africans/NIgerians ..smh
Re: The Uselessness Of White Wedding In African Societies!!! by shawndhabi: 4:56pm On Feb 23, 2015
All i can see here is slaves commenting.... Oh Lord why am I not white i spit on the black race... It is only a black man that would be president 30 years ago and tell us the youth are the leaders of tomorrow and will still want to be the president 30 years after.... it's only a black man that would say if he doesn't fix electricity problem, we shouldn't vote for him again and still come begging for votes when electricity is worse.... and yet you blame the whites for calling us monkeys..... smh

2 Likes

Re: The Uselessness Of White Wedding In African Societies!!! by sameagles(m): 4:58pm On Feb 23, 2015
joywendy:

inferiority complex

#smh

i want to believe something must have hit u at the right point, u got so unrational as if the man knew u and may be u must have taken the wrong step to getting married, very unfaire in ur contribution
Re: The Uselessness Of White Wedding In African Societies!!! by Oliveronline: 4:58pm On Feb 23, 2015
Who told u education is not part of our culture from the beginning? Go and read about the early Egyptians. Africans were the first to go to school.. The first doctors, engineers, astronauts were Africans.
The first University in the world was in Africa
Re: The Uselessness Of White Wedding In African Societies!!! by Almightyperes: 4:59pm On Feb 23, 2015
Most ladies, just like the effizy that goes with white wedding. But a reasonable lady knows white wedding is just to show off because the main thing is the traditional marriage.
Re: The Uselessness Of White Wedding In African Societies!!! by KpagoGIN(m): 4:59pm On Feb 23, 2015
Femsyn:
This is an over-flogged issue. The truth is, people won't listen. Logically, you are right on all grounds, but on the other hand, we are Africans/Nigerians, and we love parties! How else do you expect us to show off our wealth? How do we tell, even those who don't care, that we've "arrived"?
People throw parties for the flimsiest reasons - Tokunbo comes from UK, Party!; Chidinma gives birth, Dedication, Naming, Chike goes to Church...

Sometimes I wonder the craze, cos I've never attended a traditional wedding where they brought out horns, pigeon or cowries; it has always been a bible.

We love the stress and plenty aso-ebi.
To God who made me I reason with your post and that of the op, not as if I won't do it for my wife so peace might reign but for the love of God why the waste, when a pastor can just attend this traditional arrangement (with reception after the ceremony) and on sunday we receive the congregational prayers (at least we get to choose which certificate we want).

1 Like

Re: The Uselessness Of White Wedding In African Societies!!! by Optimist619(m): 5:00pm On Feb 23, 2015
Thanks for reminding us, remember as it is said in the scripture that Jesus performed his first miracle at a wedding in cannan by turning water into wine. Wedding has been in existence since the old testament what you should be telling us is that the holy Bible recognised dowry, once you pay a bride price the woman has automatically become your wife, wedding is just to bless you marriage and for the pple of God to bear witness to your union.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Oluwo Of Iwo, Akanbi Celebrates His 52nd Birthday With His People On A Horse / Ooni Of Ife's Aide Reacts To His Marriage Crisis / #OjudeOba Ogun: Masquerade Danafojura On Fire, Pulls Shadrach, Meshach, Abednego

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.