Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,345 members, 7,819,222 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:56 PM

Homebuilt Radio Control Airplane - Science/Technology (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Homebuilt Radio Control Airplane (24035 Views)

Homebuilt Gas Turbine Engine For Helicopter Propulsion. / FULL DOCUMENTATION OF THE RADIO CONTROL HOMEBUILT HELICOPTER. / Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Homebuilt Radio Control Airplane by Pakingzzz(m): 7:51pm On Oct 23, 2014
A close up shot on the Rx.

Re: Homebuilt Radio Control Airplane by Pakingzzz(m): 7:52pm On Oct 23, 2014
And the gyro.

Re: Homebuilt Radio Control Airplane by zeanslim(m): 12:08am On Oct 24, 2014
Pakingzzz:
And the gyro.

I'm liking what you are doing..

I have some questions

*can I get the plan work of what you are building..? cause I will like to follow up

*how much does the materials needed to complete cost ?

*where can I get this materials

*you used slippers for the landing gear
.will it be able to roll very well ?

lastly do you reside in lag ?
Re: Homebuilt Radio Control Airplane by Pakingzzz(m): 10:30am On Oct 24, 2014
zeanslim:

I'm liking what you are doing..

I have some questions

*can I get the plan work of what you are building..? cause I will like to follow up

You can,but it's commercial.

zeanslim:

*how much does the materials needed to complete cost ?

with all those electronic gadgets,i would say around 12k.
zeanslim:

*where can I get this materials

You can get them from hobbyking.com

zeanslim:

*you used slippers for the landing gear
.will it be able to roll very well ?

Yes it will. It's got a bearing in it,and the edges are perfectly rounded off.

zeanslim:

lastly do you reside in lag ?

Nope,i don't reside in Lagos. I do reside in Abia state.
Re: Homebuilt Radio Control Airplane by Pakingzzz(m): 11:36am On Oct 24, 2014
My brushless motor with a modified propeller on it.

Re: Homebuilt Radio Control Airplane by Pakingzzz(m): 11:38am On Oct 24, 2014
The Electronic speed controller. It is programable,and rated at 30amps maximum capacity.

Re: Homebuilt Radio Control Airplane by Pakingzzz(m): 11:41am On Oct 24, 2014
My little servo.

Re: Homebuilt Radio Control Airplane by Pakingzzz(m): 11:43am On Oct 24, 2014
I went on to fix the aileron servo. I did this whith a bond glue. Acrylic glues are useless here.

Re: Homebuilt Radio Control Airplane by Pakingzzz(m): 11:46am On Oct 24, 2014
Next was the elevator. I dug a hole on the rear wing to house the elevator servo,then i used a bond to hold it.

Re: Homebuilt Radio Control Airplane by Pakingzzz(m): 11:49am On Oct 24, 2014
I cut out an aluminuin sheet,folded it and gave it the required holes. This flange will hold the brushless motor on to the aircraft mainframe.

Re: Homebuilt Radio Control Airplane by Pakingzzz(m): 11:51am On Oct 24, 2014
So i went ahead to screw it on to the brushless motor.

Re: Homebuilt Radio Control Airplane by redfigure(m): 12:02pm On Oct 24, 2014
leonard509:
no be only you my brother. I dey feel the guy too.
123gist:
Bro u get talent abeg...............
leonard509:
no be only you my brother. I dey feel the guy too.
Oboy i feel am pass you... Nice one “,行云流水天哪 雅 im speechless
Re: Homebuilt Radio Control Airplane by Pakingzzz(m): 12:14pm On Oct 24, 2014
The Rx was place away from the Esc,so its position was far from the aileron servo leads to reach. I decided to lengthen them by cutting them,attaching a longer wire in between them.
I needed to route the wires through the main wing down to the Rx,and do so with minimal disturbance in the aerodynamic shape of the wing. So to do that,i gave the main wing a groove. I could now lay the servo wires in there,without causing a bump on the main wing area.

Re: Homebuilt Radio Control Airplane by Pakingzzz(m): 12:17pm On Oct 24, 2014
Next was laying the servo wires. I did this for both sides of the wing.

Re: Homebuilt Radio Control Airplane by Pakingzzz(m): 12:22pm On Oct 24, 2014
I then smeared a bond on the surface,to hold the wires. I would later tape the surface to get it more smoother so i could get rid of eddie swirls.

Re: Homebuilt Radio Control Airplane by Pakingzzz(m): 12:29pm On Oct 24, 2014
So we proceed to revisiting the rear landing gear that will have some sort of shock absorber.

The fabrication goes like these;

Re: Homebuilt Radio Control Airplane by Pakingzzz(m): 12:35pm On Oct 24, 2014
Attaching the fabricated piece and spring in the pix shown above,to the rear landing gear spars. Note that,a quater of it is hinged. This hinged section will take the spring,and flex just as u might do your knees when you jump from the top of a reasonable height to the ground.

Re: Homebuilt Radio Control Airplane by Pakingzzz(m): 12:40pm On Oct 24, 2014
I had a little piece of iron cut and bent into the shape in the pix (the whitish iron rod).
Then i tied it on to the strut of the rear landing gear(the black iron rod),with a copper wire. Then i glued it.
This setup should hold the ends of the spring.

Re: Homebuilt Radio Control Airplane by Pakingzzz(m): 12:45pm On Oct 24, 2014
Next came the two springs,to be held in place by the above mentioned set up.

Re: Homebuilt Radio Control Airplane by Pakingzzz(m): 12:48pm On Oct 24, 2014
I used an acrylic glue to hold both ends of the springs so the won't fall after take-off.

Re: Homebuilt Radio Control Airplane by Pakingzzz(m): 1:37pm On Oct 24, 2014
Below is my Tx. It is a futaba 6channel programable transmitter. It can be programed to fly a helicopter just as i did in my radio control helicopter. It can also be programed to fly an airplane.
If programed in an airplane mode,you can program it to be able to fly a delta wing,a V tail airplane,and to fly an airplane with a flap,usually called flaperon.
I have programed my Tx to fly in flaperon mode,and not normal mode. I shall tell you why. To fly an airplane in normal mode,you need only one servo to operate the two ailerons on the main wing,because there is only one channel assigned for the aileron in the receiver.
When you plug this servo into the aileron channel in your receiver,it will operate the ailerons wheneve you push the aileron joystick in your transmitter.
But this setup requires you mounting alot of pushrods here and there in such a way that if the left aileron tilts upwards,the right aileron should tilt downwards,and having to cope with alot of trimmings during setup. Besides that,i hadn't enough pushrods to do that. So i choose to use two servo. One mounted near each servo. So i need just two pushrod to do that,and not have to worry about a network of pushrods doing their thing!
So with two servos to cope with,and only one channel for both of them. How do i stuff the the two servos into one channel?
Well,the practicaly neat way to do that is just to plug the right aileron servo in to the aileron channel in the receiver.
Then plug the left aileron servo into the flap channel in the receiver.
Next is to program the Tx to go into flaperon mode,and there you are.
So when in this mode,you only have to move the aileron joystick of the Tx to like say the left,and the program inside the Tx would tell the receiver to move both the servo plugged into the aileron channel and the servo plugged into the flap channel,in opposite directions,and to move in the other opposite direction if the joystick is moved to the opposite direction. This is done perfectly proportional!
And whenever you flip the flap switch on the Tx,the programe will tell the receiver to move both the servo plugged into the aileron channel and the servo plugged into the flap channel,in the same direction,but this time downward.
They call this flaperon mode.
This futaba Tx is realy exhilarating

1 Share

Re: Homebuilt Radio Control Airplane by Pakingzzz(m): 1:52pm On Oct 24, 2014
The airplane

Re: Homebuilt Radio Control Airplane by Pakingzzz(m): 1:54pm On Oct 24, 2014
Her underneath.

Re: Homebuilt Radio Control Airplane by timmy2409(m): 4:17am On Oct 25, 2014
Awesome project man! And I like that you use a lot of recycled, everyday materials that would otherwise be in the trash dumps.

I know absolutely nothing about the aerodynamics of flight, so I'm curious to know if this flies. Do you have any videos of pictures of it in flight?
Re: Homebuilt Radio Control Airplane by 123gist(m): 5:06am On Oct 25, 2014
Heheheheheheee cheesy grin fly it :p
Re: Homebuilt Radio Control Airplane by Pakingzzz(m): 9:56am On Oct 25, 2014
timmy2409:
I'm curious to know if this flies. Do you have any videos or pictures of it in flight?

Mr Timmy,if i needed any proof that you never followed this thread from the begining,that dopey question you asked sure clinches it..
You don't want to know about the mechanics,your only curiosity is if it flies right?
Mr Timmy,i haven't mentioned yet in this thread,that i have done any flight test.
I don't rush my projects like that.. Just in case you don't know. I have 6 other different project am working on,more diverse than this one. So i aint done even a maiden.
Re: Homebuilt Radio Control Airplane by Canme4u(m): 10:17am On Oct 25, 2014
Well done OP. I done subscribe.
Re: Homebuilt Radio Control Airplane by timmy2409(m): 10:49am On Oct 25, 2014
Pakingzzz:

Mr Timmy,if i needed any proof that you never followed this thread from the begining,that dopey question you asked sure clinches it..
You don't want to know about the mechanics,your only curiosity is if it flies right?
Mr Timmy,i haven't mentioned yet in this thread,that i have done any flight test.
I don't rush my projects like that.. Just in case you don't know. I have 6 other different project am working on,more diverse than this one. So i aint done even a maiden.

I'm sorry you find my question offending man. None was intended. Like I mentioned already, you're doing awesome work, and I'm a fan!

I could be wrong, but the last pictures gave the impression that you were done building, and naturally I was curious to know if you had done any flight tests after. Since seeing this though, I've checked around for videos of similarly-built homemade RC planes, just to satisfy my curiosity. This guy has a particularly nice collection (http://www.skyhighhobby.com/plane-pictures) cool

Anywho, keep up the good work. I'll be following.
Re: Homebuilt Radio Control Airplane by Pakingzzz(m): 12:07pm On Oct 25, 2014
timmy2409:

Anywho, keep up the good work. I'll be following.

Ok,thanks man.
Re: Homebuilt Radio Control Airplane by zeanslim(m): 10:07pm On Oct 25, 2014
Pakingzzz:

have read all your treads since .. silent reader.

it sad all does items ain't available in Nigeria.. or is it possible at all ?

I'm also trying to work with laser and laser trip alarms

it will be nice equipping this flying babies with it..

any idea about that too ?
Re: Homebuilt Radio Control Airplane by Pakingzzz(m): 9:26am On Oct 27, 2014
zeanslim:

I'm also trying to work with laser and laser trip alarms

it will be nice equipping this flying babies with it..

any idea about that too ?

I don't get the drift.. Why equipe one with a laser alarm? Do you intend to detect objects,as in a radar concept?
Re: Homebuilt Radio Control Airplane by zeanslim(m): 9:50am On Oct 27, 2014
Pakingzzz:

I don't get the drift.. Why equipe one with a laser alarm? Do you intend to detect objects,as in a radar concept?

RC is going to be equipped with a burning laser... not the alarm type..

you know about laser too ?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Bitcoiner Implants Lightning Chip To Make BTC Payments By Hand (Pix) / Magician Dynamo Levitates From The Roof Of A London Bus / Scientists Reveal Brain Of 233-Million-Year-Old Dinosaur (Pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.