Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,825 members, 7,956,118 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 03:21 AM

Ghana Begs EU For Money! - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Ghana Begs EU For Money! (1477 Views)

HON EMEKA IHEDIOHA BEGS FOR FORGIVENESS FROM GOV OKOROCHA / Gay Africans Are Entitled To Asylum In The EU / HNAUB Student Turns Female Student To Snake for Money Ritual (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ghana Begs EU For Money! by Nobody: 8:39pm On Oct 20, 2014
EU stifles Ghana’s economy

President John Dramani Mahama has appealed to the European Union (EU) to resume the disbursement of multi-donor budget support to Ghana.

He made the appeal when the new head of EU delegation William Hanna, presented his letter of credence to him at the Flagstaff House.

In 2013, Ghana received close to 16 million Euros from the European Union.

This included a 10 million Euro Sector Budget Support for the Ministry of Health and over five Million Euros for General Budget Support under Ghana’s Multi-Donor Budget Support framework.

But the EU for some time now has held on to the funds to Ghana.

It is unclear yet why the EU is holding on to the funds but President Mahama said he is optimistic the challenges that led to the freeze would be addressed soon.

President John Mahama said: “Recently, multi donor partner support has been withheld from Ghana due to some issues. It is my expectation that as we go along, whatever difficulties exist, we will be able to iron out in order that we see a resumption of this budget support.”

He explained that Ghana needed the support because the “EU is a significant international development partner especially when it comes to issues with multi donor partner budget support.”

By: Godwin Allotey Akweiteh/citifmonline.com/Ghana

http://www.spyghana.com/eu-stifles-ghanas-economy/
Re: Ghana Begs EU For Money! by osystein(m): 9:02pm On Oct 20, 2014
man Rossike, why all these negative threads about Ghana?
Re: Ghana Begs EU For Money! by iconize(m): 9:04pm On Oct 20, 2014

Re: Ghana Begs EU For Money! by Ikengawo: 9:07pm On Oct 20, 2014
We should not be happy to shame Ghana while it's down. Sometimes I wish nigerians can come about pettiness. When Europe collapsed after WWII the US went in a personally fixed the place, because without Europe the US is alone and has nobody. It's also open to the influence of unfriendly rivals.

We as Nigerians don't know a better ally and closer country culturally, historically and politically then Ghana. To be making threads accusing them of 'begging' and insulting/shaming them is really foolish because when we're down we'll have nobody.

This Boko Haram situation really opened my eyes. Nigeria has no living allied nations. We're completely alone and when something happens to us, which it will from how the west is behaving, we're going to deal with it alone. Instead of making sure our potential allies like Ghana are strong and able to be a crutch if need be, we're bloviating that they're poor. Is it by force that we as blacks behave stupidly?

5 Likes

Re: Ghana Begs EU For Money! by Nobody: 9:08pm On Oct 20, 2014
osystein:
man Rossike, why all these negative threads about Ghana?

I feel they don't ask enough questions of their govt.

1 Like

Re: Ghana Begs EU For Money! by iconize(m): 9:09pm On Oct 20, 2014
ROSSIKE:

Do you know Ghana is the second largest gold producer in Africa after South Africa, and has been so for over 60 years? A place that was named ''the GOLD Coast'' before its current name of Ghana. With just 20 million mouths to feed, they should be living like folks in Dubai. I've no clue what they've done with their money. To the point of going to the IMF and EU cap in hand? It's ridiculous.

Honestly this is what baffles me. From all indications, Ghana is a rich country.
But I begin to wonder why a rich country with a small population can't provide for its people.

1 Like

Re: Ghana Begs EU For Money! by Nobody: 9:09pm On Oct 20, 2014
ROSSIKE:

I feel they don't ask enough questions of their govt.

which questions have you ever asked about the corrupt jonathan and the cesspit called nigeria?
Re: Ghana Begs EU For Money! by Ikengawo: 9:14pm On Oct 20, 2014
Rossike, I expect better from you. This is the buffoonery of people like Chino
Re: Ghana Begs EU For Money! by Nobody: 9:14pm On Oct 20, 2014
diluminati:

which questions have you ever asked about the corrupt jonathan and the cesspit called nigeria?

Believe me when we start going cap in hand to the EU and IMF, we'll ask questions.
Re: Ghana Begs EU For Money! by lagdmark(m): 9:17pm On Oct 20, 2014
When will all this begi begi stop in Ghana eh? I hope they will not beg Taliban and Isis for help
Re: Ghana Begs EU For Money! by Nobody: 9:36pm On Oct 20, 2014
Ikengawo:
Rossike, I expect better from you. This is the buffoonery of people like Chino

Why is everyone so uptight today? Ok I admit, it is fun taking a dig at the Ghanaians... they've had a lot to say about Nigerians and how they're doing so much better than us etc........ so yes.. I admit a degree of amusement at their current travails.. smiley
Re: Ghana Begs EU For Money! by Dibiachukwu: 10:11pm On Oct 20, 2014
Re: Ghana Begs EU For Money! by 1mindchrisr(f): 11:12am On Oct 24, 2014
begging is much better than stealing
i dont knw since beggin has become an issue or is it pride dt allow some people to mock other
Re: Ghana Begs EU For Money! by Missy89(f): 1:46am On Oct 25, 2014
Ikengawo:

We should not be happy to shame Ghana while it's down. Sometimes I wish nigerians can come about pettiness. When Europe collapsed after WWII the US went in a personally fixed the place, because without Europe the US is alone and has nobody. It's also open to the influence of unfriendly rivals.

We as Nigerians don't know a better ally and closer country culturally, historically and politically then Ghana. To be making threads accusing them of 'begging' and insulting/shaming them is really foolish because when we're down we'll have nobody.

This Boko Haram situation really opened my eyes. Nigeria has no living allied nations. We're completely alone and when something happens to us, which it will from how the west is behaving, we're going to deal with it alone. Instead of making sure our potential allies like Ghana are strong and able to be a crutch if need be, we're bloviating that they're poor. Is it by force that we as blacks behave stupidly?

Well said. Some people actually see the economy problem of Ghana as a laughing matter. Its a shame really. If Nigeria cant have strong economies in her region, why should Nigerians be happy about that?
Re: Ghana Begs EU For Money! by birdman(m): 3:40am On Oct 25, 2014
Ikengawo:

I had to re-read this. After all those tribal marathons, I am glad your eyes are open o. The more people realize we are on our own, hopefully the less we see of the ethnic craziness.

Speaking of Ghana, this situation is no laughing matter. I wonder if their discovery of oil attracted the vultures. When a president publicly begs a bank for funds, you know that that country is fundamentally done. I have always respected my Ghanian brothers as being cerebral and moderate. I cant even fathom how they got themselves into this trap. This is going to cost them for a long time
Re: Ghana Begs EU For Money! by birdman(m): 3:41am On Oct 25, 2014
Missy89:

Well said. Some people actually see the economy problem of Ghana as a laughing matter. Its a shame really. If Nigeria cant have strong economies in her region, why should Nigerians be happy about that?

No Nigerian is happy about the Ghana situation. It could very well be coming our way with the oil slump. Forget the faceless kids that roam nairaland

(1) (Reply)

Donald Trump Lambasts Muslim Ladies, Who Complain Of Discrimination / BREAKING Croatian President Zoran Milanovic Is Now On The Ukraine Kill List. / Justin Bieber Is A Liberal Nwo Globalist

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.