Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,704 members, 7,809,675 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:54 PM

Can You Adopt A Child That Is Not Your Biological Child? Any Challenges? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Can You Adopt A Child That Is Not Your Biological Child? Any Challenges? (2743 Views)

Something You Saw As A Child, That No One Saw Or Believes You Till This Day. / Please Advice! How To Guide A Child That Shows Early Sign Of Homosexuality. / How Can I Adopt A Child In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can You Adopt A Child That Is Not Your Biological Child? Any Challenges? by Nobody: 10:28am On Oct 21, 2014
I have been wondering how it feels to adopt a child that is not your biological child. Are there any challenges in raising them up with your kids? What are the checks that need to be done before the child is picked up? Like general medical check up and all?

Please share your ideas and/or experiences
***Any challenges: emotional and psychological effects for the other biological children***
Re: Can You Adopt A Child That Is Not Your Biological Child? Any Challenges? by pickabeau1: 10:33am On Oct 21, 2014
is it possible to adopt a child that is your biological child

11 Likes

Re: Can You Adopt A Child That Is Not Your Biological Child? Any Challenges? by zeb04(f): 10:35am On Oct 21, 2014
Hahahahaha
Re: Can You Adopt A Child That Is Not Your Biological Child? Any Challenges? by kennyslim1(m): 10:48am On Oct 21, 2014
@OP, can your father/mom adopt you? Kindly rephrase your question abeg
Re: Can You Adopt A Child That Is Not Your Biological Child? Any Challenges? by crackhaus: 11:06am On Oct 21, 2014
Not very many people are capable of raising a child that isn't theirs with the exact same devotion, benefits, and treatment that they would their own biological kids.

Truth be told and if I were to offer statistics, I would say that only 1 in 10 women can raise a child they didn't birth themselves (related or not) and treat him/her no differently than they would treat their own…this is not an exaggeration.
People will always say that they can, but it goes more than just saying.

I used women because they are the primary caregivers even if both her and her husband agreed to the adoption.

The question thus is;
Are you VERY sure you are capable of raising a child that isn't yours?
Think about it.

1 Like

Re: Can You Adopt A Child That Is Not Your Biological Child? Any Challenges? by Nobody: 11:11am On Oct 21, 2014
Oh yes. I can adopt a child that's not my biological child. I can take him/her as my very own. I have that spirit in me.

3 Likes

Re: Can You Adopt A Child That Is Not Your Biological Child? Any Challenges? by Nobody: 11:54am On Oct 21, 2014
Absolutely!

This is my dream family

[img]http://1.bp..com/-2k2LV91jvnE/T5YcgagnMYI/AAAAAAAABv0/rJv_40asWeI/s1600/angelina%252Bjolie%252Bkids.jpg[/img]

cheesy cheesy cheesy

6 Likes

Re: Can You Adopt A Child That Is Not Your Biological Child? Any Challenges? by slimyem: 1:03pm On Oct 21, 2014
Can I adopt a child and treat him or her as I would my own? The answer is "I would love to" because I am not sure of what I would actually do until I get there but the truth is there are not very many people I know in this part of the world who can give a hundred percent of themselves to adopted children except if they do not have their own.

You can draw an opinion or a reasonable conclusion from the way people treat maids or wards that are not fortunate to live with their own parents.

Challenges you say? Plenty I would suppose from
the child finding out you are not his or her real parent and makes issues out of his,dealing with the child's past experiences and his or her translating them to present conditions..... undecided

1 Like

Re: Can You Adopt A Child That Is Not Your Biological Child? Any Challenges? by adebisicutie: 2:34pm On Oct 21, 2014
Yes I plan to, I love children and I would love to give a child out there a family life. I know I can love a child totally even if he /she isn't my child biologically. Intact I suspect that my challenge would be not to be more lenient on the child or spoil the child more than my biological kids because I would never want that child to suffer again considering what he/ she may have been through in the past.

2 Likes

Re: Can You Adopt A Child That Is Not Your Biological Child? Any Challenges? by Nobody: 3:12pm On Oct 21, 2014
crackhaus:
Not very many people are capable of raising a child that isn't theirs with the exact same devotion, benefits, and treatment that they would their own biological kids.

Truth be told and if I were to offer statistics, I would say that only 1 in 10 women are can raise a child they didn't birth themselves (related or not) and treat him/her no differently than they would treat their own…this is not an exaggeration.

People will always say that they can, but it goes more than just saying.

I used women because they are the primary caregivers even if both her and her husband agreed to the adoption.

The question thus is;
Are you VERY sure you are capable of raising a child that isn't yours?
Think about it.
You just pulled a number out of thin air. Keep your erroneous stats to yourself.

4 Likes

Re: Can You Adopt A Child That Is Not Your Biological Child? Any Challenges? by crackhaus: 3:31pm On Oct 21, 2014
Yields:

You just pulled a number out of thin air. Keep your erroneous stats to yourself.
Unfortunately for you, I'm way past keeping it to myself...you don't have to like it.

I'm a numbers person, and going by what I've seen so far with Nigerian women, only 1 out of 10 will be capable of raising a child they didn't birth and care for him/her exactly how they would their own.

If you find this stat erroneous, please give your own...and while at it, be sure to factor in how the majority of Nigerian women treat their maids/helps.

3 Likes

Re: Can You Adopt A Child That Is Not Your Biological Child? Any Challenges? by ifyalways(f): 3:35pm On Oct 21, 2014
I did.

No challenges. We started of as sisters kind of, as I knew her from when I volunteer at the Orphanage where she was. Over the years, we became close and I started off as her foster mom then with time, we made it official; she became my daughter. Hubby and everyone knew her first as my sister, then my daughter. She is now married and have given me a very beautiful grand daughter. kiss

2 Likes

Re: Can You Adopt A Child That Is Not Your Biological Child? Any Challenges? by Talon05: 4:28pm On Oct 21, 2014
Sophyrocks:
Oh yes. I can adopt a child that's not my biological child. I can take him/her as my very own. I have that spirit in me.
Can you adopt a child that is biologically yours?.
Re: Can You Adopt A Child That Is Not Your Biological Child? Any Challenges? by Nobody: 4:42pm On Oct 21, 2014
Yh sure...after my wife has given birth to our kids......
Re: Can You Adopt A Child That Is Not Your Biological Child? Any Challenges? by avuekwe(f): 5:08pm On Oct 21, 2014
carefreewannabe:
Absolutely!

This is my dream family

[img]http://1.bp..com/-2k2LV91jvnE/T5YcgagnMYI/AAAAAAAABv0/rJv_40asWeI/s1600/angelina%252Bjolie%252Bkids.jpg[/img]

cheesy cheesy cheesy

i don't regret reading ur post at all. We both think alike. I wonder if its possible for single ladies to be allowed to adopt kids in Nigeria and what are the procedures? Is the requirement different for singles?

1 Like

Re: Can You Adopt A Child That Is Not Your Biological Child? Any Challenges? by pickabeau1: 5:11pm On Oct 21, 2014
crackhaus i think ur stat are overestimated

More like 1 in 100 (case in point the relationships between women and step kids)

However external factors such as fertility, individual attitude make some more amiable to adoption

This include guys also

1 Like

Re: Can You Adopt A Child That Is Not Your Biological Child? Any Challenges? by Nobody: 5:13pm On Oct 21, 2014
avuekwe:

i don't regret reading ur post at all. We both think alike. I wonder if its possible for single ladies to be allowed to adopt kids in Nigeria and what are the procedures? Is the requirement different for singles?

I don'T know but I guess that adoptions are more difficult when you are single.
Re: Can You Adopt A Child That Is Not Your Biological Child? Any Challenges? by Nobody: 5:33pm On Oct 21, 2014
crackhaus:

Unfortunately for you, I'm way past keeping it to myself...you don't have to like it.

I'm a numbers person, and going by what I've seen so far with Nigerian women, only 1 out of 10 will be capable of raising a child they didn't birth and care for him/her exactly how they would their own.

If you find this stat erroneous, please give your own...and while at it, be sure to factor in how the majority of Nigerian women treat their maids/helps.
Whatever you have seen so far isn't enough [substantial] evidence to draw the conclusion you have drawn. People make errors when they transfer the limited features of [a] particular instance/s onto others, making sweeping generalizations or conclusions that aren't close to being representative. If you're going to pull out numbers, then you need to have sufficient evidence to back it up, other than "what I have seen". Bias and personal evidence only works in mediocre statistics. It would've been a different story had you said something along the lines of "not many women would be able do such a thing", which would've been open to interpretation but you gave a definitive number, meaning you should be able to explain yourself. But of course you can't - because it is not factual, which was why I said you pulled it out of thin air.

5 Likes

Re: Can You Adopt A Child That Is Not Your Biological Child? Any Challenges? by crackhaus: 5:45pm On Oct 21, 2014
pickabeau1:
crackhaus i think ur stat are overestimated

More like 1 in 100 (case in point the relationships between women and step kids)

However external factors such as fertility, individual attitude make some more amiable to adoption

This include guys also
Just when I was trying to be fair, you bring this 1 in 100 grin
Re: Can You Adopt A Child That Is Not Your Biological Child? Any Challenges? by dre11(m): 5:52pm On Oct 21, 2014
Am not yet married

But have seen family do it
And they pull through

That's if u do treat the child as ur own child
Re: Can You Adopt A Child That Is Not Your Biological Child? Any Challenges? by soonest(f): 5:54pm On Oct 21, 2014
From what I have seen so far, I can only adopt a child that's less than 2yrs of age. Less than a year preferably so that I can mould the child like mine and bond properly with him/her. Anything more than this, count me out.

1 Like

Re: Can You Adopt A Child That Is Not Your Biological Child? Any Challenges? by crackhaus: 6:03pm On Oct 21, 2014
Yields:

Whatever you have seen so far isn't enough [substantial] evidence to draw the conclusion you have drawn. People make errors when they transfer the limited features of [a] particular instance/s onto others, making sweeping generalizations or conclusions that aren't close to being representative. If you're going to pull out numbers, then you need to have sufficient evidence to back it up, other than "what I have seen". Bias and personal evidence only works in mediocre statistics. It would've been a different story had you said something along the lines of "not many women would be able do such a thing", which would've been open to interpretation but you gave a definitive number, meaning you should be able to explain yourself. But of course you can't - because it is not factual, which was why I said you pulled it out of thin air.

You're confusing yourself.
Do you understand how statistics work? So I had to have met the over 30million women in Nigeria before I form my opinion?

And what sweeping generalizations did I make here?
I said 1 in 10...what this means is that out of every 10 women I've met, only 1 would probably treat a child she didn't birth the exact same way she would treat hers. This is factual and not pulled out of thin air.

If personal evidence is not useful in determining factual statistics, pray tell what is?
How does the WHO, UNICEF, etc get their statistics if not by personal evidence from a test group?

I'm not even sure what the problem here is, I gave my numbers from my experience, pickabeau1 has given his above, you should state yours using your own personal observations...this is how stats come about.
Re: Can You Adopt A Child That Is Not Your Biological Child? Any Challenges? by Nobody: 6:17pm On Oct 21, 2014
crackhaus:

You're confusing yourself.
Do you understand how statistics work? So I had to have met the over 30million women in Nigeria before I form my opinion?

And what sweeping generalizations did I make here?
I said 1 in 10...what this means is that out of every 10 women I've met, only 1 would probably treat a child she didn't birth the exact same way she would treat hers. This is factual and not pulled out of thin air.

If personal evidence is not useful in determining factual statistics, pray tell what is?
How does the WHO, UNICEF, etc get their statistics if not by personal evidence from a test group?

I'm not even sure what the problem here is, I gave my numbers from my experience, pickabeau1 has given his above, you should state yours using your own personal observations...this is how stats come about.
What you said in your initial statement differs from the post I just quoted. You're gradually changing your words now, trying to be slick. Two different meanings between your first and subsequent statement, but I'm the one who is confused, huh? Get outta here, man.

Crackhaus, you're the one who clearly doesn't understand how Stats works and you clearly did not understand my previous post. I was trying hard to refrain from calling your stats mediocre but you've just done so yourself with the bolded. Neither WHO nor UNICEF relies on personal evidence but statistical evidence. Please understand the difference. If they rely on personal evidence, their results would've been skewed and they would've been feeding us biased and false information, but I know they are careful and serious enough not to do that to the public. I would accept their credible stats any day over yours.

2 Likes

Re: Can You Adopt A Child That Is Not Your Biological Child? Any Challenges? by pickabeau1: 6:39pm On Oct 21, 2014
crackhaus:

Just when I was trying to be fair, you bring this 1 in 100 grin

No need to look far
How many people have said they will adopt so far
Even step mothers who have no choice still struggle
Re: Can You Adopt A Child That Is Not Your Biological Child? Any Challenges? by crackhaus: 6:42pm On Oct 21, 2014
Yields:

Crackhaus, you're the one who clearly doesn't understand how Stats works and you clearly did not understand my previous post. I was trying hard to refrain from calling your stats mediocre but you've just done so yourself with the bolded, heh. Ah. Neither WHO nor UNICEF relies on personal evidence but statistical evidence. Please understand the difference. If they rely on personal evidence, their results would've been skewed and they would've been feeding us biased and false information, but I trust them enough to know they wouldn't do that. I would accept their credible stats any day over yours.
I don't need you to accept my stats.

You say statistical evidence is the credible one, this takes us back to my initial question..
What is statistical evidence? What process is carried out to arrive at it?

P.S
You already called my stats mediocre, but who's watching anyway wink
Yields:
Bias and personal evidence only works in
mediocre statistics.

The question again is, how do people arrive at figures for statistical evidence?

1 Like

Re: Can You Adopt A Child That Is Not Your Biological Child? Any Challenges? by Nobody: 6:54pm On Oct 21, 2014
...this thread is been derailed
Re: Can You Adopt A Child That Is Not Your Biological Child? Any Challenges? by crackhaus: 6:55pm On Oct 21, 2014
Yields:

What you said in your initial statement differs from the post I just quoted. You're gradually changing your words now, trying to be slick. Two different meanings between your first and subsequent statement, but I'm the one who is confused, huh? Get outta here, man.
I just saw this edit, you added this bit after I replied.

If you're going to make accusations, it will do you well at this point to quote both posts and highlight the difference.
Re: Can You Adopt A Child That Is Not Your Biological Child? Any Challenges? by crackhaus: 7:04pm On Oct 21, 2014
pickabeau1:

No need to look far
How many people have said they will adopt so far
Even step mothers who have no choice still struggle
And someone is trying hard to make it seem I don't know what I'm talking about.

It's not even about how many people will say they can adopt but more about how many of them can actually treat a kid they didn't birth the exact same way they would theirs - benefits, pampering, same exact punishments and favors, etc.
Re: Can You Adopt A Child That Is Not Your Biological Child? Any Challenges? by pickabeau1: 7:07pm On Oct 21, 2014
crackhaus:

And someone is trying hard to make it seem I don't know what I'm talking about.

It's not even about how many people will say they can adopt but more about how many of them can actually treat a kid they didn't birth the exact same way they would theirs - benefits, pampering, same exact punishments and favors, etc.

No worry yourself

I was actually waiting for d session on statistics and how she can tell Us with certainty that stats have no inherent bias.

1 Like

Re: Can You Adopt A Child That Is Not Your Biological Child? Any Challenges? by Nobody: 7:09pm On Oct 21, 2014
crackhaus:

I don't need you to accept my stats.

You say statistical evidence is the credible one, this takes us back to my initial question..
What is statistical evidence? What process is carried out to arrive at it?

P.S
You already called my stats mediocre, but who's watching anyway wink

The question again is, how do people arrive at figures for statistical evidence?
You acquire it via the research method. It depends on the type of research design and techniques being used. In simple terms, it is sound evidence that proves a proposition to be true. Good research studies should be transparent. Transparency, in this case, means: you must provide proof of evidence/how you got your results or conclusions when required. You cannot assume, hide evidence, give false explanations, change the conclusions later on your own terms, etc.

crackhaus:

I just saw this edit, you added this bit after I replied.

If you're going to make accusations, it will do you well at this point to quote both posts and highlight the difference.
It was there when you replied. Do me well at this point? Reread your posts. You clearly didn't know what you were claiming.

3 Likes

Re: Can You Adopt A Child That Is Not Your Biological Child? Any Challenges? by Nobody: 7:10pm On Oct 21, 2014
I'm not fighting with you, 'k? No fighting.
Re: Can You Adopt A Child That Is Not Your Biological Child? Any Challenges? by crackhaus: 7:32pm On Oct 21, 2014
Yields:

You acquire it via the research method. It depends on the type of research design and techniques being used. In simple terms, it is sound evidence that proves a proposition to be true. Good research studies should be transparent. Transparency, in this case, means: you must provide proof of evidence/how you got your results or conclusions when required. You cannot assume, hide evidence, give false explanations, change the conclusions later on your own terms, etc.
Still going in circles, you've still not told me how figures are arrived at.

Sound evidence, propositions, research methods, research design, transparency, etc..
Lady how are these things arrived at? Is it by guessing/interpolation, OR is it by personal evidence/experience from a test group?

My proof of evidence is my personal experience, this is how I got my results.
What is your own proof/evidence that I'm wrong?

It was there when you replied. Do me well at this point? Reread your posts. You clearly didn't know what you were claiming.
I have not done an edit on any key parts of my comments on this thread.
1 in 10 has been my claim from my very first comment.

What are you saying?

Quote both posts - the ones you say are different in meaning...

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Where Are My 2go Friends?!!! / Please Help. The Yams I Bought Very Expensive. They Are Now Rotting Away / Clearance Clearance Clearance

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.