Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,458 members, 7,819,669 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:24 PM

Please Help. The Yams I Bought Very Expensive. They Are Now Rotting Away - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Please Help. The Yams I Bought Very Expensive. They Are Now Rotting Away (2771 Views)

My Rent Was Increased Because I Bought A Car. / My Wife Is Angry With Me Because I Bought Underwears For Her Niece / I Bought My Mum A Convertible Sport (pics,vid) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Please Help. The Yams I Bought Very Expensive. They Are Now Rotting Away by fineboynl(m): 2:45pm On Jun 01, 2020
please help.

I bought some yams last week here.

they look fresh and very expensive.

only for me to check them today. and find some are getting rotten. do you believe I wasted half of the yam when cutting off the spoilt parts.

how do o store them. especially the once I already peeled off.

can it be stored on freezer?
Re: Please Help. The Yams I Bought Very Expensive. They Are Now Rotting Away by SenorFax(m): 2:55pm On Jun 01, 2020
Turn them into Yam flour and make twice the profit

Method
Cut ones you suspected are getting rotten or the ones getting rotten.

Peel them and slice them into thick chips.

Boil a water that can actually cover the whole pieces and pour the pieces into the water.

Leave for 24hours.

Remove them the second day and spread in sun. Will take 2-3 weeks for complete dryness due to the present humidity.

Store in dry bags or mill them to powder for yam flour.

14 Likes

Re: Please Help. The Yams I Bought Very Expensive. They Are Now Rotting Away by Balogunodua(m): 3:08pm On Jun 01, 2020
Dash them out and God will bless you... grin
Re: Please Help. The Yams I Bought Very Expensive. They Are Now Rotting Away by Foodqueen(f): 3:26pm On Jun 01, 2020
There is nothing u can do about it.
Buying dry yam this season is a game of luck.

7 Likes

Re: Please Help. The Yams I Bought Very Expensive. They Are Now Rotting Away by Nobody: 3:41pm On Jun 01, 2020
Yes, U can store your yam in the freezer. So also ripe plantains.
Cut and wash as U will wanna cook them. Lay on flat surface e.g. tray and put in your freezer. Make sure non overlaps the other. When they block, put in Ziploc and that's it kiss
If u want to fry or cook any, bring out and put inside hot oil or water immediately. Don't allow it to defrost.
The same with ripe plantain.

10 Likes

Re: Please Help. The Yams I Bought Very Expensive. They Are Now Rotting Away by jaysmama(f): 3:43pm On Jun 01, 2020
fineboynl:
please help.

only for me to check them today. and find some are getting rotten. do you believe I wasted half of the yam when cutting off the spoilt parts.

Yes it can be stored in the freezer. That is what I do when I buy yam. Peel them cut into the sizes like when you are ready to cook. Wash thoroughly and pack in bags and freeze When you want to cook, no need to defrost it just drop it in water and cook like normal.

3 Likes

Re: Please Help. The Yams I Bought Very Expensive. They Are Now Rotting Away by Nobody: 6:01pm On Jun 01, 2020
fineboynl:
please help.

store in a well ventilated place,yams don't condone heat at all.When buying yams avoid ones with extremely smooth back

2 Likes

Re: Please Help. The Yams I Bought Very Expensive. They Are Now Rotting Away by Oluromantic: 7:07pm On Jun 01, 2020
Cut cucumber size and be using it for ur bae. Thank me later
Re: Please Help. The Yams I Bought Very Expensive. They Are Now Rotting Away by blueivy8: 12:22am On Jun 02, 2020
Cut the yam to your desired shape,wash it and put it inside a transparent zip bag and store in the freezer
Re: Please Help. The Yams I Bought Very Expensive. They Are Now Rotting Away by fineboynl(m): 2:31pm On Jun 02, 2020
what if NEPA failed. how long can it stay when defrost

1 Like

Re: Please Help. The Yams I Bought Very Expensive. They Are Now Rotting Away by Richy4(m): 3:08pm On Jun 02, 2020
Wetin come happen to your mouth now.. if it's too much, declare yam festival in your home now .. haba!! smiley

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Please Help. The Yams I Bought Very Expensive. They Are Now Rotting Away by cococandy(f): 3:30pm On Jun 02, 2020
Op what she said
sassysure:
Yes, U can store your yam in the freezer. So also ripe plantains.
Cut and wash as U will wanna cook them. Lay on flat surface e.g. tray and put in your freezer. Make sure non overlaps the other. When they block, put in Ziploc and that's it kiss
If u want to fry or cook any, bring out and put inside hot oil or water immediately. Don't allow it to defrost.
The same with ripe plantain.
Re: Please Help. The Yams I Bought Very Expensive. They Are Now Rotting Away by Prudent200: 5:29pm On Jun 02, 2020
fineboynl:
please help.

how many did you buy
Re: Please Help. The Yams I Bought Very Expensive. They Are Now Rotting Away by giftygirl1(f): 7:37pm On Jun 02, 2020
I bought over thirty tubers of yam during this lockdown. To preserve them. Place planks of wood on a well ventilated area and place them on top of each other on the wood. The bigger ones under. Do no allow them to touch bare floor. If you cannot finish a tuber at once,put a little water in a bowl and put the yam inside to avoid rot.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Please Help. The Yams I Bought Very Expensive. They Are Now Rotting Away by fineboynl(m): 5:18am On Jun 03, 2020
giftygirl1:
I bought over thirty tubers of yam during this lockdown. To preserve them. Place planks of wood on a well ventilated area and place them on top of each other on the wood. The bigger ones under. Do no allow them to touch bare floor. If you cannot finish a tuber at once,put a little water in a bowl and put the yam inside to avoid rot.
they where in the kitchen ontop of tiles. the kitchen is a bit hot and not so ventilated. I can't put them anywhere else or outside.

this is the most effective

Re: Please Help. The Yams I Bought Very Expensive. They Are Now Rotting Away by Babawale01: 5:28am On Jun 03, 2020
Do not keep it on tiles or bare floor. That's actually why those yam are rotten away.

Find a wide plank and set them on top in layers or let me come get rid of em.

You can rightfully process them into yam flour as someone said up there. No go waste food oo.
Re: Please Help. The Yams I Bought Very Expensive. They Are Now Rotting Away by madridguy(m): 6:10am On Jun 03, 2020
A very wrong place to keep your food item. It is very wrong to put food on the bare floor. Get a small pallet inside your kitchen where you will be placing your food item.

Share the yams for now.

fineboynl:
they where in the kitchen [b]ontop of tiles. [/b]the kitchen is a bit hot and not so ventilated. I can't put them anywhere else or outside.

this is the most effective
Re: Please Help. The Yams I Bought Very Expensive. They Are Now Rotting Away by fineboynl(m): 6:28am On Jun 05, 2020
storing yam in the freezer is not what it claimed it is. i think it would have been better to store cook yam and not uncook yam.

I even thinking of throwing away the rest them them in there.

brought our plenty of them yesterday in other to clear it out as soon as possible. I boiled them right away. I put them in mortar and pound. but to my surprise. the yams lost all it starch. it was not holding to itself just exactly like a early new yam.

I had to go buy 5kg bag each of semo and wheat.

1 Like

Re: Please Help. The Yams I Bought Very Expensive. They Are Now Rotting Away by tabithababy(f): 9:10am On Jun 05, 2020
Hnmmmm
Re: Please Help. The Yams I Bought Very Expensive. They Are Now Rotting Away by Shinny1: 11:03am On Jun 05, 2020
Yes you can put it inside freezer and make sure that you have a very stable light if not it will all get worse

And ensure you cut in your desired size so that you can start cooking it as soon as you bring it out from the freezer
Re: Please Help. The Yams I Bought Very Expensive. They Are Now Rotting Away by frozen70(f): 5:43pm On Jun 07, 2020
fineboynl:
please help.

If you have constant light, boil the peeled ones and refrigerate

Then for the other ones, pls dash few out to the less privileged

Any time from March / April, you don't store yam because the water in it have dried up and can't survive the weather

Just buy one or two tubbers of yam till July/ August when the new ones will be out

(1) (Reply)

How Much Does Youtube Pay Per 1000 Views? / Names You Adore Or Hate / 'I Moved To Be With My Fiance And He Dumped Me Three Weeks Later'

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.