Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,833 members, 7,810,208 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:54 PM

Osun State Declares 27th October Public Holiday To Mark Islamic New Year. - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Osun State Declares 27th October Public Holiday To Mark Islamic New Year. (24808 Views)

Edo Declares Public Holiday To Celebrate Buhari / Rivers State Declares Free Medicare For Residents! / (pictures) Governor Chibuike Amaechi / Rivers State Declares For G Jonathan 2011 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Osun State Declares 27th October Public Holiday To Mark Islamic New Year. by Canme4u(m): 1:55pm On Oct 22, 2014
leighcon:
I am a Christian, but will not subscribe to the opinion that the declaration of this holiday represents fanaticism. Afterall, some of the religion's days are already being enjoyed as holidays by default.

However, I will be quick to point out that such actions indicate that tolerating him further, is dangerous to the harmony being enjoyed already by the heterogeneous religions.

The real danger however, is that he is setting a dangerous precedent. The majority of Christian's new year day is the Advent which if I am not mistaken, is sometimes in November.

What happens if in the basis of this, they demand a day as well?

Don't be bias bro, Osun Oshogbo has public holiday too and he always support them even though he doesn't believe in their religion.

The Hijra holiday has been in existence right from his first tenure. I don't just get all this hulabaluu.

12 Likes

Re: Osun State Declares 27th October Public Holiday To Mark Islamic New Year. by Max24: 3:16pm On Oct 22, 2014
walemoney007:
ao many food hav easter and christmas holidays put on ur table
Left to me Easter and Christmas should be scrapped. Religion is a personal thing but we are institutionalizing it in Nigeria even more than those we learn it from. I am a christian but i know my bible did not say i must have an holiday to celebrate Jesus' birth or his death. I can celebrate him in my heart, in my room and it will be acceptable. i don't need an official holiday to do that. For hundreds of years the Europeans and Americans were way ahead of China. Just last week the world bank said China has overtaken America as the world largest economy. That is a nation that means business! They worked hard to catch up with America. Even in Nigeria haven't u seen the way the Chinese run their cottage companies here. We need to learn from them. That is the direction we youths should go, not promoting all these religious sentiments. You want subsidies on everything without working. You want half of the working year devoted to religious holidays,abi? With all the religious holidays we have in this country how come we are not progressing as fast as those other nations that don't care about religious holidays. Your politicians know what to use to preoccupy you - they allow u to go to church or mosque where u will be preoccupied with unseen things. That way u wont have the time and energy to question their misrule. Nigerian youths need to wake up!!!

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Osun State Declares 27th October Public Holiday To Mark Islamic New Year. by Nobody: 3:19pm On Oct 22, 2014
The same People condemning this move are the same people that always look forward to Easter and Christmas holidays. These are the same people that saw nothing wrong when the Feds declare Eid break.

Nonsense

7 Likes

Re: Osun State Declares 27th October Public Holiday To Mark Islamic New Year. by Omimah: 6:23pm On Oct 26, 2014
Seun, Mynd44, Mukina2, OAM4J, Afam4ever, please push this to the front page.

1 Like

Re: Osun State Declares 27th October Public Holiday To Mark Islamic New Year. by AJOT99(m): 6:34pm On Oct 26, 2014
Hmm....Aregbesola!
Re: Osun State Declares 27th October Public Holiday To Mark Islamic New Year. by QMark: 6:34pm On Oct 26, 2014
The point when you wish your company was in Ogun State.
Re: Osun State Declares 27th October Public Holiday To Mark Islamic New Year. by austinbrown: 6:35pm On Oct 26, 2014
Yoruba people sha

2 Likes

Re: Osun State Declares 27th October Public Holiday To Mark Islamic New Year. by lawrenceunaa: 6:37pm On Oct 26, 2014
to mark new when the year is already over

Islamic calendar as late as the dead undecided

4 Likes

Re: Osun State Declares 27th October Public Holiday To Mark Islamic New Year. by Nobody: 6:39pm On Oct 26, 2014
Why can't we just follow one calender?

Government of the State of Osun has declared today (Tuesday August 20, 2013) as a public holiday in celebration of world traditional religion Isese Day.
This was contained in a press statement signed by the State Commissioner for Information and Strategy, Mr Sunday Akere.
According to the commissioner, Governor Rauf Aregbesola declared the public holiday in the spirit of equality among the various religious groups in the state.
Isese day, among the traditional believers, is the celebration of the peak of festivity in Yorubaland tagged Odun Nla, hence were given the right to celebrate with members of their family.
http://www.osundefender.org/?p=117148

1 Like

Re: Osun State Declares 27th October Public Holiday To Mark Islamic New Year. by kyrios: 6:40pm On Oct 26, 2014
Christians are allowed to celebrate the Gregorian new year so I don't see anything bad in it no body complained when a state in the SS declared a public holiday cause of a political rally

3 Likes

Re: Osun State Declares 27th October Public Holiday To Mark Islamic New Year. by Omimah: 6:41pm On Oct 26, 2014
Yesterday, Saturday was actually the beginning of the new year in the Islamic calendar. Being a weekend, as it's with other public holidays, the first day of the working week, Monday will be observed as the holiday.
Re: Osun State Declares 27th October Public Holiday To Mark Islamic New Year. by LarryBeryl(m): 6:42pm On Oct 26, 2014
I ve been looking for a way to miss tomorrow classes before...... Ope o
Re: Osun State Declares 27th October Public Holiday To Mark Islamic New Year. by Omimah: 6:46pm On Oct 26, 2014
lawrenceunaa:

Have you seen the calendar used in Ethiopia? It's behind the Gregorian calendar we're used to.

2 Likes

Re: Osun State Declares 27th October Public Holiday To Mark Islamic New Year. by DollyParton1(f): 6:48pm On Oct 26, 2014
lawrenceunaa:

You better run for cover. They will be attacking u with grenades, explosives,bombs and AK47 soon

2 Likes

Re: Osun State Declares 27th October Public Holiday To Mark Islamic New Year. by Omimah: 6:49pm On Oct 26, 2014
LarryBeryl:
I ve been looking for a way to miss tomorrow classes before...... Ope o
If you're a student of a federal government school, you're on your own: No federal institution is going to observe it.

1 Like

Re: Osun State Declares 27th October Public Holiday To Mark Islamic New Year. by afoobiggy700(m): 6:49pm On Oct 26, 2014
oboman:

How dare you call that enjoyment? I see decline in productivity, you see enjoyment? Lazy mindset with nothing tangible to do with their time will call it enjoyment....

Nigeria has too many public holidays and anymore holiday should be frowned upon; whether it's a Muslim or Christian Holiday......

many public holiday lols abeg wetin u no knw no dey talk am go china u go see how dem dey get public holiday

1 Like

Re: Osun State Declares 27th October Public Holiday To Mark Islamic New Year. by OkikiOluwa1(m): 6:52pm On Oct 26, 2014
vedd:
Aregbe need to tone down his islamic fanatism, abeg!
The guy is a fanatic that hides his colour
Re: Osun State Declares 27th October Public Holiday To Mark Islamic New Year. by Ifyjemila(f): 7:00pm On Oct 26, 2014
vedd:
Aregbe need to tone down his islamic fanatism, abeg!
why?

2 Likes

Re: Osun State Declares 27th October Public Holiday To Mark Islamic New Year. by Ifyjemila(f): 7:05pm On Oct 26, 2014
Canadidacy:
Funny Aregbe. Even core islam states don't give break for Hijrah.
Other states should emulate him.

3 Likes

Re: Osun State Declares 27th October Public Holiday To Mark Islamic New Year. by Jobyruz(m): 7:06pm On Oct 26, 2014
Canadidacy:
Funny Aregbe. Even core islam states don't give break for Hijrah.

liar! I served in the north and its a normal thing there

1 Like

Re: Osun State Declares 27th October Public Holiday To Mark Islamic New Year. by madridguy(m): 7:08pm On Oct 26, 2014
Allahumo Arib Mon araba Islam.

2 Likes

Re: Osun State Declares 27th October Public Holiday To Mark Islamic New Year. by Gbawe: 7:10pm On Oct 26, 2014
barcanista:
The same People condemning this move are the same people that always look forward to Easter and Christmas holidays. These are the same people that saw nothing wrong when the Feds declare Eid break.

Nonsense

Bruv, this is how much GEJ and the PDP has divided Nigeria along lines that used to be irrelevant or at least toned-down. Would there have been any protest over this holiday, especially from folks who do not live in Osun and have nothing to do with the state like the first few respondents to this thread , in the days of Yar Adua and Obasanjo?

Every single damn thing is now viewed by many Nigerians through ethnic and religious goggles. Yorubas say what the eyes is looking for it will find. Let some continue promoting hate, enmity and intolerance. We understand this was the case before the civil war. When we have another civil strife then all the hate-mongers should remember the part they played with their intolerant, extremely dangerous and bigoted drivel.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Osun State Declares 27th October Public Holiday To Mark Islamic New Year. by Ifyjemila(f): 7:10pm On Oct 26, 2014
T4taiwo:
When his counterpart from ekiti state was prostrating in a church, did any one raise the issue of religious intolerance, because its involve an islamic governor,everyone was just bitter about him. and perhaps was the holiday for muslim alone. its for everybody's enjoyment.
My brother tell them.

4 Likes

Re: Osun State Declares 27th October Public Holiday To Mark Islamic New Year. by Nobody: 7:12pm On Oct 26, 2014
And someone will come and say Nigeria is a secular country.

Good GRIEF.

P.S. By, "someone" I mean the Christians complaining about Muslims girls wearing their hijab.

2 Likes

Re: Osun State Declares 27th October Public Holiday To Mark Islamic New Year. by Nobody: 7:14pm On Oct 26, 2014
oboman:

How dare you call that enjoyment? I see decline in productivity, you see enjoyment? Lazy mindset with nothing tangible to do with their time will call it enjoyment....

Nigeria has too many public holidays and anymore holiday should be frowned upon; whether it's a Muslim or Christian Holiday......

Quite frankly, it's ridiculous. Halting the economy every other day. "Anyhowness".
Re: Osun State Declares 27th October Public Holiday To Mark Islamic New Year. by Ifyjemila(f): 7:14pm On Oct 26, 2014
Timehin:

Hijrah 1436 What the heck is that Dat dude needs to be monitored.
Don't be silly & talk sence my friend.

2 Likes

Re: Osun State Declares 27th October Public Holiday To Mark Islamic New Year. by princebergz(m): 7:17pm On Oct 26, 2014
a public holiday on my birthday, epic!
#Scorpio #27th #TurnDownForWhat

1 Like

Re: Osun State Declares 27th October Public Holiday To Mark Islamic New Year. by WASMOG(m): 7:18pm On Oct 26, 2014
Welldone Mr Aregbe I think this holiday should be declared nation wide because it is the callander made by God himself without any mistake and the whole world is benefiting from it HAPPY NEW YEAR TO MY MUSLIM BROTHERS AND SISTERS

4 Likes

Re: Osun State Declares 27th October Public Holiday To Mark Islamic New Year. by Nobody: 7:20pm On Oct 26, 2014
Zedric:
See all this hypocrites complaining about fanaticism. Nigerian is neither a Christian state nor an Islamic state. So I think they should have equal rights, if we give holiday for easter ( the death of 1 ordinary dude), why is it extreme to declare a holiday for the New year celebration of a group of people.
There are already 3 Islamic celebrations with attached public holidays: Eid-el-Fitri, Eid-el-Maulud and Eid-el-Kabir, as against 2 Christian celebrations of Christmas and Easter. Why add more muslim holidays, thereby making it more skewed, esp when in a highly secular society?

3 Likes

Re: Osun State Declares 27th October Public Holiday To Mark Islamic New Year. by WASMOG(m): 7:20pm On Oct 26, 2014
princebergz:
a public holiday on my birthday, epic!
#Scorpio #27th #TurnDownForWhat
we are both scopio mine is 27 too HBD US

1 Like

Re: Osun State Declares 27th October Public Holiday To Mark Islamic New Year. by Omimah: 7:20pm On Oct 26, 2014
Ifyjemila:
Other states should emulate him.
Borno State has also declared tomorrow a public holiday.

1 Like

Re: Osun State Declares 27th October Public Holiday To Mark Islamic New Year. by princebergz(m): 7:22pm On Oct 26, 2014
WASMOG:
we are both scopio mine is 27 too HBD US

Cool! HBD matey! cheers to good health!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Atiku Abubakar Pictured With His Grand Children / Presidency Bars AbdulMajid Danbirni From Media In North / Ozekhome Meets Salami Panel, Testifies Against Magu, Submits Videos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.