Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,801 members, 7,956,050 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 10:37 PM

Arms Deal: S’africa Failed Us, They Owe Nigeria An Apology - Defence Minister - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Arms Deal: S’africa Failed Us, They Owe Nigeria An Apology - Defence Minister (1628 Views)

El-rufai: Kaduna Has More Gold Than S’africa / 4 Buhari Ministers Who Owe Nigeria N800bn / Workers' Salaries: States And Number Of Months They Owe - Vanguard (snapshot) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Arms Deal: S’africa Failed Us, They Owe Nigeria An Apology - Defence Minister by phemmyjohnson: 10:00am On Oct 22, 2014
The immediate
past Minister of State for Defence, Senator Musiliu
Obanikoro, has demanded an apology from the
South African Government to Nigeria for
embarrassing the country following the
confiscation of $15 million meant for the
procurement of military hardware for security
agencies to better aid them in the campaign
against the Boko Haram insurgency.
Obanikoro said the action of the South African
Government was unacceptable, unnecessary and
unfair as the two deals, which led to the seizures
of the funds, were not legal.
According to the former minister, the South
Africans should have a better understanding of
the use of cash for arms procurement as that was
the procedure they followed in purchasing arms
during the long period of their struggle against
apartheid.
He pointed out that South Africa failed Nigeria
during a period of dire need.
The southern African country, he said, benefitted
immensely from Nigeria during the dark days of
apartheid rule and rather than repay Nigeria’s
good deeds, went all out to embarrass the
country.
He said, “What South Africa did to us is
unacceptable, it is not fair, it is not just and it was
unnecessary.
“Here is a nation that stood by them during their
time of need. If there is any country that should
understand the need to use cash to procure
ammunition or weapons, it is South Africa,
because during their days of struggling for
liberation, that’s what they were doing.
“They have gone through a very long struggle for
liberation to get to where they are today, and
most of the weapons they used and procured
during these struggle were through cash
transactions.
“We were in a very dire situation at that point in
time and we needed that push at that particular
time and they failed us.
“For me, I can speak now as an ordinary citizen of
Nigeria, I think South Africa failed Nigeria and
they owe Nigeria an unreserved apology. Look at
the other bank transaction that was done through
the bank, I think they went out deliberately to
embarrass us, and they owe us an apology”.
Recall that South African authorities had seized
US$5.7 million arms money from Nigeria, almost
one month after another $9.3 million cash
reportedly ferried into the country by two
unidentified Nigerians and an Israeli for arms
purchase was confiscated, bringing the total
amount seized to $15 million (about N2 billion).
The matter is being resolved amicably between
both countries through diplomatic channels
especially after the Nigerian Government
threatened to impose strict sanctions on South
African companies operating in the country.
http://www.informationng.com/2014/10/arms-deal-safrica-failed-us-they-owe-nigeria-an-apology-says-obanikoro.html
Re: Arms Deal: S’africa Failed Us, They Owe Nigeria An Apology - Defence Minister by phemmyjohnson: 10:01am On Oct 22, 2014
Wetin we no go see!!
I believe dead shekau soon will demand apology from FG for killing him..

1 Like

Re: Arms Deal: S’africa Failed Us, They Owe Nigeria An Apology - Defence Minister by Lumyboi(m): 10:03am On Oct 22, 2014
Werin dis one sabi abt defence. Msheeeeew
Re: Arms Deal: S’africa Failed Us, They Owe Nigeria An Apology - Defence Minister by phemmyjohnson: 10:05am On Oct 22, 2014
Lumyboi:
Werin dis one sabi abt defence. Msheeeeew
The tout obaniikoro is just a useless man like wike..
Re: Arms Deal: S’africa Failed Us, They Owe Nigeria An Apology - Defence Minister by lirusehn(m): 10:10am On Oct 22, 2014

The truth is out smiley
Re: Arms Deal: S’africa Failed Us, They Owe Nigeria An Apology - Defence Minister by Exjoker(m): 10:57am On Oct 22, 2014
I just siddon the look
Re: Arms Deal: S’africa Failed Us, They Owe Nigeria An Apology - Defence Minister by erunz(m): 11:00am On Oct 22, 2014
phemmyjohnson:

also as stupid like tinubu and lai mohammed

4 Likes

Re: Arms Deal: S’africa Failed Us, They Owe Nigeria An Apology - Defence Minister by mainheart(m): 11:09am On Oct 22, 2014
I thought the money have been refund
Re: Arms Deal: S’africa Failed Us, They Owe Nigeria An Apology - Defence Minister by mainheart(m): 11:09am On Oct 22, 2014
I thought the money have been refund
Re: Arms Deal: S’africa Failed Us, They Owe Nigeria An Apology - Defence Minister by size38: 11:13am On Oct 22, 2014
Will u shot up ur mouth Mr Defence minister? Does Mr Defence thinks that other country's govt officials are as dirty and corrupt as they are here in Nigeria.
Re: Arms Deal: S’africa Failed Us, They Owe Nigeria An Apology - Defence Minister by Nobody: 11:23am On Oct 22, 2014
I thought APC and Buhari are to be blame for the seizure? SA is not a country where lawlessnes prevailed and failed attempt blamed on opposition.

1 Like

Re: Arms Deal: S’africa Failed Us, They Owe Nigeria An Apology - Defence Minister by Nobody: 11:37am On Oct 22, 2014
size38:
Will u shot up ur mouth Mr Defence minister? Does Mr Defence thinks that other country's govt officials are as dirty and corrupt as they are here in Nigeria.

You sound so sure of yourself.
That SA was right to seize the funds, both the cash and the wire transfer?
You believe both of the monies are "dirty" money?

SA officials are all saints only Nigerian government officials are dirty?

Bros, all that glitters is not gold.
Re: Arms Deal: S’africa Failed Us, They Owe Nigeria An Apology - Defence Minister by citizenY(m): 11:52am On Oct 22, 2014
noblezone:

You sound so sure of yourself.
That SA was right to seize the funds, both the cash and the wire transfer?
You believe both of the monies are "dirty" money?

SA officials are all saints only Nigerian government officials are dirty?

Bros, all that glitters is not gold.

FALSE..... All that glitters is gold... in South Africa..... where the fart of our government smells big time.... we only hear the bang over here,...when the dollars are taking off.....on hallelluyah airways!!!!

1 Like

Re: Arms Deal: S’africa Failed Us, They Owe Nigeria An Apology - Defence Minister by wirinet(m): 11:54am On Oct 22, 2014
Obanikoro turning facts and logic on its head.
The southern African country, he said, benefitted
immensely from Nigeria during the dark days of
apartheid rule and rather than repay Nigeria’s
good deeds, went all out to embarrass the
country.

The Apartheid South African govenment benefitted nothing from Nigeria. In fact during the Apartheid era, Nigeria was technically at war with South Africa.
It was the ANC which then was considered a rebel group that the Nigerian government was aiding. So the transactions were illegal because ANC was not recognized by the South African government, the US and UK. There was never a time that the South African government attempted to illegally smuggle hard cash in Nigeria to illegally purchase arms.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Arms Deal: S’africa Failed Us, They Owe Nigeria An Apology - Defence Minister by omenka(m): 12:02pm On Oct 22, 2014
You waka go enter your neighbor house. Him catch you dey try tidy him wife. Him come seize your clothes make you waka go back your house naked. Later you come back dey say make him apologise.... Still trying to wrap my head around this logic...

3 Likes

Re: Arms Deal: S’africa Failed Us, They Owe Nigeria An Apology - Defence Minister by gregg2: 12:29pm On Oct 22, 2014
"According to the former minister, the South
apartheid"

I know this too

1 Like

Re: Arms Deal: S’africa Failed Us, They Owe Nigeria An Apology - Defence Minister by citizenY(m): 1:03pm On Oct 22, 2014
omenka:
You waka go enter your neighbor house. Him catch you dey try tidy him wife. Him come seize your clothes make you waka go back your house naked. Later you come back dey say make him apologise.... Still trying to wrap my head around this logic...

Omenka, no fall ma hand o... complete ya,story finish... de bagger still get liver to ask for his unused condom.
Re: Arms Deal: S’africa Failed Us, They Owe Nigeria An Apology - Defence Minister by eightsin(m): 1:04pm On Oct 22, 2014
Wah
Re: Arms Deal: S’africa Failed Us, They Owe Nigeria An Apology - Defence Minister by RockMaxi: 1:13pm On Oct 22, 2014

Jokers in high position.

Re: Arms Deal: S’africa Failed Us, They Owe Nigeria An Apology - Defence Minister by PhockPhockMan: 1:21pm On Oct 22, 2014
phemmyjohnson:

But he knows more than we know about the issue. South Africa messed up in this matter. First, the seized the the money sent through legitimate route before the second one. Their sole aim of embarrassing us will surely backfire.
Re: Arms Deal: S’africa Failed Us, They Owe Nigeria An Apology - Defence Minister by leighcon(m): 1:26pm On Oct 22, 2014
The quality of our leadership is just appalling.

I could not imagine Obanikoro justifying whatever happened, using ANC's situation as an instance. There could be so many other excuses, not this!!!!

"According to the former minister, the South Africans should have a better understanding of the use of cash for arms procurement as that was
the procedure they followed in purchasing arms during the long period of their struggle against apartheid"
[b][/b]
Re: Arms Deal: S’africa Failed Us, They Owe Nigeria An Apology - Defence Minister by PhockPhockMan: 1:32pm On Oct 22, 2014
omenka:
The trash you wrote here don't tally with the topic.

Please, next time, don't write while drinking.

2 Likes

Re: Arms Deal: S’africa Failed Us, They Owe Nigeria An Apology - Defence Minister by Canme4u(m): 1:33pm On Oct 22, 2014
gregg2:
"According to the former minister, the South
apartheid"

I know this too

Was the money lundring policy back then still the same as the one being operated now?
Re: Arms Deal: S’africa Failed Us, They Owe Nigeria An Apology - Defence Minister by texazzpete(m): 1:35pm On Oct 22, 2014
South Africa owes Nigeria nothing.

It doesn't matter if the money was meant to buy weapons or to fund Ebola research. It is ILLEGAL and CRIMINAL to take huge sums of cash across the border into another country without declaring it.

I blame South Africa for this. Instead of seizing the cash for months and STERNLY demanding an official explanation and an apology, they are letting these lackwits grab headlines in Nigeria.

Nonsense.

2 Likes

Re: Arms Deal: S’africa Failed Us, They Owe Nigeria An Apology - Defence Minister by omenka(m): 2:30pm On Oct 22, 2014
citizenY:

Omenka, no fall ma hand o... complete ya,story finish... de bagger still get liver to ask for his unused condom.
Lmao!! lipsrsealed
Re: Arms Deal: S’africa Failed Us, They Owe Nigeria An Apology - Defence Minister by adconline(m): 2:38pm On Oct 22, 2014
Blame everyone but ur incompetent azz!
Re: Arms Deal: S’africa Failed Us, They Owe Nigeria An Apology - Defence Minister by emmysoftyou: 3:11pm On Oct 22, 2014
why is that any misunderstandin that happen btw southafrica and nigeria,
some nigerian politician will remind them of apatheid system years back,
wow black man mentality of yu must pay me back my help because i help yu,rubbish.
abeg some nigerians politician shuld stop crying wolf when matter arises lik dis undecided
ok he is demanding for apology?abi
nigerian govt owes us apology for wrecking, corrupting,stolen and underdeveloping our great country nigeria....
yu owe the youth,i mean the citizen of this great country an opology too. undecided

nonsense,badderdash and bomkom.undecided

(1) (Reply)

Engr. Rabiu Kwankwaso Presidential Declaration Speech / Nigeria GSM Database / PVCs Distribution 'Deliberate Failure' Designed To Rig 2015 Polls — Tinubu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.