Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,796 members, 7,956,045 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 10:23 PM

Armed Robber Sentenced To Death For Stealing N9,000 ($54) - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Armed Robber Sentenced To Death For Stealing N9,000 ($54) (1276 Views)

Flash Back; Okonjo's Excuse For Borrowing To Pay Salaries with Oil at $54/barrel / Abdulaziz Dauda Sentenced To Death By Hanging / Brigadier-General Ransome-Kuti Sentenced To Six Months In Jail (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Armed Robber Sentenced To Death For Stealing N9,000 ($54) by Dollarjunkie: 4:00pm On Oct 22, 2014
A Lagos High Court, Igbosere, on Wednesday sentenced an armed robber to death by hanging for disposing his victim of N9,000.

The convict, ‎Onyekachi Abazu, reportedly robbed one Obioma Obiekwe of her N9, 000 and a BMW car marked CM659JJJ, at a gun point.

He committed the offence with others at large on June 13, 2007 at Gowon Estate, Ipaja‎.

Abazu was arraigned by the Lagos State Government on January 9, 2008, before Justice ‎Morenike Obadina on two- count charge of conspiracy and armed robbery under Sections 403 (A) and 402(2)(A) of the Criminal Code, Laws of Lagos, 2003.

He had pleaded not guilty to the charges, prompting the court to go through the rigours of trial.
Delivering judgment on Wednesday, Justice Obadina said the prosecution has proved its case beyond reasonable doubt.

She found the defendant guilty as charged and thereby sentenced him to death by hanging as prescribed by the law under which he was charged.

Source:http://www.nigerianeye.com/2014/10/armed-robber-sentenced-to-death-for.html

More News
Re: Armed Robber Sentenced To Death For Stealing N9,000 ($54) by Toyozzie(f): 4:15pm On Oct 22, 2014
That's Nigeria for u..
Re: Armed Robber Sentenced To Death For Stealing N9,000 ($54) by talktimi(m): 4:30pm On Oct 22, 2014
....."The convict, ‎Onyekachi Abazu, reportedly robbed one Obioma Obiekwe of her N9, 000 and a BMW car marked CM659JJJ, AT GUN POINT......"

armed robbery is punishable by death in Nigeria, he should have tried pen robbery like our wise politicians and civil servants

2 Likes

Re: Armed Robber Sentenced To Death For Stealing N9,000 ($54) by akinsadeez(m): 5:10pm On Oct 22, 2014
The writer of that article just deliberately made use of a sensational and blatantly mischievous headline. The headline makes it seem like he was sentenced to death for stealing 9000 naira conveniently glossing over the fact that he also dispossessed the victim of her BMW car at gun point.
Anyways, under Nigerian law, once you commit robbery using arms, even if it is one naira that you steal the punishment is death. The convict has no one to blame but himself. If you decide to break the law then you should be ready to bear the consequences.

6 Likes

Re: Armed Robber Sentenced To Death For Stealing N9,000 ($54) by zizazizu: 5:34pm On Oct 22, 2014
akinsadeez:
The writer of that article just deliberately made use of a sensational and blatantly mischievous headline. The headline makes it seem like he was sentenced to death for stealing 9000 naira conveniently glossing over the fact that he also dispossessed the victim of her BMW car at gun point.
Anyways, under Nigerian law, once you commit robbery using arms, even if it is one naira that you steal the punishment is death. The convict has no one to blame but himself. If you decide to break the law then you should be ready to bear the consequences.
One Million Likes!
Re: Armed Robber Sentenced To Death For Stealing N9,000 ($54) by doctokwus: 5:57pm On Oct 22, 2014
While not being an advocate of d death penalty,op do u know with d gun d robber had,he cud easily have murdered dat woman wt a single bullet shot.So its not d mony stolen,but d fact he did so wt a fatal weapon.
Just dis morning,d armed robbers who killed dat newswatch editor confesssed to d crime& guess what op:he was murdered simply because he struggled to prevent dem frm taking his laptop.Just "take everytin but let me go wt my laptop" & vroom he was sent to his grave!
Do u know how much d murderer wud av sold dat laptop?I bet u if a buyer like u gves him 5k,he wud av sold it!
So u see wt just a mere 5k worth of laptop to him,he sent a man,father,husband,breadwinner to his grave and u are here posting sensational thread out of ignorance.

2 Likes

Re: Armed Robber Sentenced To Death For Stealing N9,000 ($54) by Nobody: 6:09pm On Oct 22, 2014
At gun point?... I would have been against the law but this part changed my mind...
Re: Armed Robber Sentenced To Death For Stealing N9,000 ($54) by egift(m): 6:12pm On Oct 22, 2014
Gun Point shocked shocked shocked
Re: Armed Robber Sentenced To Death For Stealing N9,000 ($54) by Octaves(m): 6:18pm On Oct 22, 2014
I think death sentence is too harsh for unaggravated armed robbery. 25 year jail term is more like it. There should be proportionality btween crime and punishment. What will you do to terrorists or people who have commited serial murders or ritualists. Many Nigerians lose their sense of protionality when it comes to things they feel strongly about and some of them are hypocrytes
Re: Armed Robber Sentenced To Death For Stealing N9,000 ($54) by hazyfm: 6:42pm On Oct 22, 2014
I SUPPORT THE JUDGEMENT...
THIS GUYS ARE HEARTLESS, THEY HAVE WIDOWED SO MANY WOMEN
AND LEFT SO MANY CHILDREN FATHERLESS
Re: Armed Robber Sentenced To Death For Stealing N9,000 ($54) by Nobody: 6:45pm On Oct 22, 2014
What happens to the likes of Atiku, Obasanjo, Farouk lawan, GEJ, Deziani madueke, David mark, Tinubu, etc?
Re: Armed Robber Sentenced To Death For Stealing N9,000 ($54) by egift(m): 6:56pm On Oct 22, 2014
3cycle:
What happens to the likes of Atiku, Obasanjo, Farouk lawan, GEJ, Deziani madueke, David mark, Tinubu, etc?

Why Skip Jonathan in your list
Re: Armed Robber Sentenced To Death For Stealing N9,000 ($54) by doctokwus: 7:01pm On Oct 22, 2014
3cycle:

I bet u if u have ever come face to face wt a robber wt a gun,talkless of having lost any loved thru thru an armed robber's bullet,u wud have preferred to have 1000 farouk lawan(criminals though dey might also b,@least dey leave u wt hope of a better day someday).But an armed robber takes away ur live and ur hope wt it
Re: Armed Robber Sentenced To Death For Stealing N9,000 ($54) by Nobody: 7:03pm On Oct 22, 2014
egift:

Why Skip Jonathan in your list
Did I?
Re: Armed Robber Sentenced To Death For Stealing N9,000 ($54) by sol2galay: 7:08pm On Oct 22, 2014
doctokwus:
While not being an advocate of d death penalty,op do u know with d gun d robber had,he cud easily have murdered dat woman wt a single bullet shot.So its not d mony stolen,but d fact he did so wt a fatal weapon.
Just dis morning,d armed robbers who killed dat newswatch editor confesssed to d crime& guess what op:he was murdered simply because he struggled to prevent dem frm taking his laptop.Just "take everytin but let me go wt my laptop" & vroom he was sent to his grave!
Do u know how much d murderer wud av sold dat laptop?I bet u if a buyer like u gves him 5k,he wud av sold it!
So u see wt just a mere 5k worth of laptop to him,he sent a man,father,husband,breadwinner to his grave and u are here posting sensational thread out of ignorance.

tell him more bro,i wonder why ppl should be sentimental wth all dis armed bandit. Anywhere who knows the aim of the op

(1) (Reply)

Ogoni Rejects Rivers APC Consensus Gov Candidate. / Lagos APC Crisis: Aspirants Walk Out On Tinubu Over Ambode’s Victory / APC Primaries: Sam Nda-isaiah Reportedly Steps Down For Buhari

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.