Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,381 members, 7,819,387 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:24 PM

Atheism Is Not A Religion - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Atheism Is Not A Religion (920 Views)

Atheism Is Frustrating. / Atheism Is A Religion: Kolooyinbo Explains. / Atheism Is A Religion (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Atheism Is Not A Religion by kay29000(m): 5:15pm On Oct 22, 2014
"Atheism is a religion like abstinence is a sex position."
- Bill Maher

First of all, I like to clarify something...I am not an Atheist. I consider myself more of a Universalist. I don't know if there is any word like that, but that is how I can describe myself. I believe that their is a supreme being, and he has given us the allowance to reach him in various ways...whether through Mohamed, or Jesus, or Budha...It is still one source; one destination, we are just on different paths to the same destination.

I try to study all the religions of the world, and non-religious beliefs too, and know why everyone thinks or believes what they do. In all this, I have noticed that religious people tend to mistake Atheism for a religion. They believe Atheist are 'a people' who have chosen to turn their back on God. Some go ahead to believe that Atheists gather together somewhere and make some plans to take over the world and turn everyone to atheists; or that they collectively worship Baphomet or the devil and all that...all these beliefs of Atheists are far from the truth.

As Comedian/TV Host, Bill Maher said in the quote above, 'Atheism is a religion like abstinence is a sex position.' Get it? The simple fact that Atheists have no religion makes them non-religious people, so how can Atheism be a religion? Atheists don't have any qualities of religious people; they don't meet in groups, they don't have a specific book that guides them, and they don't dress in a specific way. Christians believe that they serve the one true God and that every other religion serves false gods; Atheists believe that the God that Christians serve and the other gods all don't exist. Some Atheist might believe in a supreme being, or a cosmic force, but they just don't believe in the man in the sky theory of most religions.

So, let me repeat again, Atheism is not a religion, and Atheist definitely don't meet up somewhere to listen to sermons/teachings. I have this Atheist Grand Uncle that is in his late 80s. The man traveled to Britain from Nigeria in the 1940s to further his studies. He went as a religious man, and came back an Atheist. The man stays alone (His wife and kids have remained in the U.K all this while) in a house of five rooms cos people keep trying to convert him back to Christianity, so he decided to spend more time by himself. Their belief is that he has turned his back on the Christian God, but they don't want to understand that maybe he merely got knowledge that supersedes that which they hold, and which he now holds on to. He doesn't read any atheist guide book (it doesn't exist), he doesn't go out to any Atheist gatherings (there is really is none in Nigeria), and he is happy with his life. What I always found funny all those years as a teenager was that my Mom and her other siblings would always run to the man for advise.

So, in closing, Atheism is not a religion. Atheism is a religion like baldness is a hair color. If life was a University, and the different departments/faculties were religions, then an Atheist is that man that never went to the University or any school to get his knowledge about life. So, how can you use the rules of a University to judge him? I just believe we can and should co-exist in this world. The more 'a people' believe their religion is the right one and that it is superior to others, the more we would fight and kill each other. It is happening right now in Nigeria, and the world over.

1 Like

Re: Atheism Is Not A Religion by Misogynist2014(m): 5:32pm On Oct 22, 2014
kay29000:
"Atheism is a religion like abstinence is a sex position."
- Bill Maher

First of all, I like to clarify something...I am not an Atheist. I consider myself more of a Universalist. I don't know if there is any word like that, but that is how I can describe myself. I believe that their is a supreme being, and he has given us the allowance to reach him in various ways...whether through Mohamed, or Jesus, or Budha...It is still one source; one destination, we are just on different paths to the same destination.

I try to study all the religions of the world, and non-religious beliefs too, and know why everyone thinks or believes what they do. In all this, I have noticed that religious people tend to mistake Atheism for a religion. They believe Atheist are 'a people' who have chosen to turn their back on God. Some go ahead to believe that Atheists gather together somewhere and make some plans to take over the world and turn everyone to atheists; or that they collectively worship Baphomet or the devil and all that...all these beliefs of Atheists are far from the truth.

As Comedian/TV Host, Bill Maher said in the quote above, 'Atheism is a religion like abstinence is a sex position.' Get it? The simple fact that Atheists have no religion makes them non-religious people, so how can Atheism be a religion? Atheists don't have any qualities of religious people; they don't meet in groups, they don't have a specific book that guides them, and they don't dress in a specific way. Christians believe that they serve the one true God and that every other religion serves false gods; Atheists believe that the God that Christians serve and the other gods all don't exist. Some Atheist might believe in a supreme being, or a cosmic force, but they just don't believe in the man in the sky theory of most religions.

So, let me repeat again, Atheism is not a religion, and Atheist definitely don't meet up somewhere to listen to sermons/teachings. I have this Atheist Grand Uncle that is in his late 80s. The man traveled to Britain from Nigeria in the 1940s to further his studies. He went as a religious man, and came back an Atheist. The man stays alone (His wife and kids have remained in the U.K all this while) in a house of five rooms cos people keep trying to convert him back to Christianity, so he decided to spend more time by himself. Their belief is that he has turned his back on the Christian God, but they don't want to understand that maybe he merely got knowledge that supersedes that which they hold, and which he now holds on to. He doesn't read any atheist guide book (it doesn't exist), he doesn't go out to any Atheist gatherings (there is really is none in Nigeria), and he is happy with his life. What I always found funny all those years as a teenager was that my Mom and her other siblings would always run to the man for advise.

So, in closing, Atheism is not a religion. Atheism is a religion like baldness is a hair color. If life was a University, and the different departments/faculties were religions, then an Atheist is that man that never went to the University or any school to get his knowledge about life. So, how can you use the rules of a University to judge him? I just believe we can and should co-exist in this world. The more 'a people' believe their religion is the right one and that it is superior to others, the more we would fight and kill each other. It is happening right now in Nigeria, and the world over.
I can easily prove to you that atheism is a religion, but I've got no time. Just run through the history of my argument with kay17 and you will understand.
Re: Atheism Is Not A Religion by kay29000(m): 5:34pm On Oct 22, 2014
Misogynist2014:
I can easily prove to you that atheism is a religion, but I've got no time. Just run through the history of my argument with kay17 and you will understand.

I also don't have time to run through your argument with K17. State your case here.

1 Like

Re: Atheism Is Not A Religion by Misogynist2014(m): 6:25pm On Oct 22, 2014
kay29000:

I also don't have time to run through your argument with K17. State your case here.
Your logic is logically flawed. All what I gained from this write up is that its possible that a design exists without a designer. You capped it up by using irrelevant examples. Science itself that accuses religion that God(an infinite creature) must have been created, argue that it is not LOGICAL to say matter cannot be created or destroyed, just because its impossible on EARTH, when justifying the Big bang. Can you see for yourself? Is this not synonymous to the Christian arguement that its impossible to compare human nature to that of a Spirit. In fact, does it not take much faith to believe that a complex universe like this has no designer? Look at yourself, and nature around you, look around again(if possible, go outside to view nature), are we not to complex to be a design without a designer? Science is searching for the cure of ebola and AIDs, how can a design without a designer guarantee a cure?
If God doesn't exist, how did magic come into existence? One guy was stüpid enough to tell me magic doesn't exist. Another fööl told me if magic exist, then its independent of gods. I laughed. I told them, go to sango worshipers, with them, your silly questions are easily solved.
The Bible is a very powerful historical record, telling us how mankind was created after the GAP THEORY http://www.jesus-is-savior.com /Evolution%20Hoax /gap_theorists_defended.htmto enjoy and worship God on earth and how sin came into the world, which created suffering and death both in human and animal world. It tells us how mankind went after gods, who tell them to do abominable things like human sacrifice and killing of twins. It tells us how men like Abraham, Istrael served God, which led God to prefer the Israelites and how God dealt severely with Egypt, how Israelites crossed the Red Sea, and how the great wall of Jerico fell(all of which are traceable in history.)
It tells us about how Israelites also went after gods, which made God angry, in which they were severely dealt with, from invasion of Egypt, to Babylonian siege, to Roman siege and finally the HOLOCAUST. It tells us about a wonderful event which happend over 2000 years ago, when God sent his Son to the world, the gory which he passed through and the promise of the second coming.
Many argue that there are many gods, but let me give you a simple method of eliminating these gods, their account of genesis(what are you building if your foundation is very weak), if they are made by hands(a true God can't be made with human hands), If they desire fetish things like blood(true God does not require the blood of his creatures), If their book is highly contradictory e.g. Islam's book is highly contradictory, from the use of We for a supposed monotheist God, to telling us that Jesus was neither killed nor crucified but another person was, even to tell us that Jesus did not call himself the Son of God(Muhammad was born 600AD), without telling us why people wanted to kill the one who healed and cured them of their sickness. You can read quran for yourself or check this incriminating link out http://www.answering-islam.org /authors/rogers/pronouns1.html. If they don't explain what caused the gap btw mankind and God. Now tell me which religions remain. I guess its Judaism and Christianity. Judaism is the religion and believe that hates Jesus the most, just like the pharesees and saducees of Christ's time, they are proud and arrogant. They constitute the largest religious believe in Istrael and believe that Christ is coming in future and not our Jesus. They discourage their children from reading New testament and encourage them to tear it off their Bible.
Is there any question you wish to ask? COPIED AND PASTED
Re: Atheism Is Not A Religion by kay29000(m): 6:47pm On Oct 22, 2014
Misogynist2014:
Your logic is logically flawed. All what I gained from this write up is that its possible that a design exists without a designer. You capped it up by using irrelevant examples. Science itself that accuses religion that God(an infinite creature) must have been created, argue that it is not LOGICAL to say matter cannot be created or destroyed, just because its impossible on EARTH, when justifying the Big bang. Can you see for yourself? Is this not synonymous to the Christian arguement that its impossible to compare human nature to that of a Spirit. In fact, does it not take much faith to believe that a complex universe like this has no designer? Look at yourself, and nature around you, look around again(if possible, go outside to view nature), are we not to complex to be a design without a designer? Science is searching for the cure of ebola and AIDs, how can a design without a designer guarantee a cure?
If God doesn't exist, how did magic come into existence? One guy was stüpid enough to tell me magic doesn't exist. Another fööl told me if magic exist, then its independent of gods. I laughed. I told them, go to sango worshipers, with them, your silly questions are easily solved.
The Bible is a very powerful historical record, telling us how mankind was created after the GAP THEORY http://www.jesus-is-savior.com /Evolution%20Hoax /gap_theorists_defended.htmto enjoy and worship God on earth and how sin came into the world, which created suffering and death both in human and animal world. It tells us how mankind went after gods, who tell them to do abominable things like human sacrifice and killing of twins. It tells us how men like Abraham, Istrael served God, which led God to prefer the Israelites and how God dealt severely with Egypt, how Israelites crossed the Red Sea, and how the great wall of Jerico fell(all of which are traceable in history.)
It tells us about how Israelites also went after gods, which made God angry, in which they were severely dealt with, from invasion of Egypt, to Babylonian siege, to Roman siege and finally the HOLOCAUST. It tells us about a wonderful event which happend over 2000 years ago, when God sent his Son to the world, the gory which he passed through and the promise of the second coming.
Many argue that there are many gods, but let me give you a simple method of eliminating these gods, their account of genesis(what are you building if your foundation is very weak), if they are made by hands(a true God can't be made with human hands), If they desire fetish things like blood(true God does not require the blood of his creatures), If their book is highly contradictory e.g. Islam's book is highly contradictory, from the use of We for a supposed monotheist God, to telling us that Jesus was neither killed nor crucified but another person was, even to tell us that Jesus did not call himself the Son of God(Muhammad was born 600AD), without telling us why people wanted to kill the one who healed and cured them of their sickness. You can read quran for yourself or check this incriminating link out http://www.answering-islam.org /authors/rogers/pronouns1.html. If they don't explain what caused the gap btw mankind and God. Now tell me which religions remain. I guess its Judaism and Christianity. Judaism is the religion and believe that hates Jesus the most, just like the pharesees and saducees of Christ's time, they are proud and arrogant. They constitute the largest religious believe in Istrael and believe that Christ is coming in future and not our Jesus. They discourage their children from reading New testament and encourage them to tear it off their Bible.
Is there any question you wish to ask? COPIED AND PASTED

I have to assume this response was not directed at my Original Post. Cos, you didn't tackle anything I wrote. You just copied and pasted something you have written in the past. And even at that, you are just talking from the religious angle, telling me more and more things that don't apply with me. Forget what you have been told and just reason logically. And please, space your write-up probably next time.
Re: Atheism Is Not A Religion by Weah96: 5:55am On Oct 23, 2014
Misogynist2014:
Many argue that there are many gods, but let me give you a simple method of eliminating these gods, their account of genesis(what are you building if your foundation is very weak), if they are made by hands(a true God can't be made with human hands), If they desire fetish things like blood(true God does not require the blood of his creatures),

Are you serious? Yahweh isn't into fetish things like sacrificing his own children to himself? Hahaha. Dude, this is some comic book stuff.

Nobody said anything about a design without a designer. We just don't want you to simply make up a designer for the hell of it, as you're obviously doing. It's better to plead ignorance and speak the truth, than spew arrogant guesses disguised as humility.
Re: Atheism Is Not A Religion by kay29000(m): 12:45pm On Oct 23, 2014
Weah96:

Are you serious? Yahweh isn't into fetish things like sacrificing his own children to himself? Hahaha. Dude, this is some comic book stuff.

[b]Nobody said anything about a design without a designer. [/b]We just don't want you to simply make up a designer for the hell of it, as you're obviously doing. It's better to plead ignorance and speak the truth, than spew arrogant guesses disguised as humility.

Exactly!!!
Re: Atheism Is Not A Religion by AgentOfAllah: 3:34pm On Oct 23, 2014
Misogynist2014:
Your logic is logically flawed. All what I gained from this write up is that its possible that a design exists without a designer. You capped it up by using irrelevant examples.

It is not enough to throw statements around, highlight the flaws in his logic and point to the irrelevant examples, and tell exactly why they are irrelevant.

Misogynist2014:
Science itself that accuses religion that God(an infinite creature) must have been created, argue that it is not LOGICAL to say matter cannot be created or destroyed, just because its impossible on EARTH, when justifying the Big bang.

Science is agnostic, and accuses religion of nothing. But listen to yourself call god an infinite creature (without proof, no less), and then stop short of saying god isn't created. Where's the logical coherence in your argument? I suggest you look up the relationship between the words "creature" and "create".

Yes, it is NOT logical to say "matter cannot be created or destroyed" because that is an outdated postulation. By replacing/equating "matter" with "energy", science has since self-corrected that notion as it always does when new light is shed on any topic of interest.

Misogynist2014:
Can you see for yourself? Is this not synonymous to the Christian arguement that its impossible to compare human nature to that of a Spirit. In fact, does it not take much faith to believe that a complex universe like this has no designer?

It is not synonymous at all. Science has phenomenological evidence for its claims. Much less can be said of the Christian argument which is based solely on faith. No one rejects that anything is designed. We reject the lazy attribution of design to false (imaginary) designers/deities.

Misogynist2014:
Look at yourself, and nature around you, look around again(if possible, go outside to view nature), are we not to complex to be a design without a designer? Science is searching for the cure of ebola and AIDs, how can a design without a designer guarantee a cure?

Again, no one rejects a designer. You seem to think your idea of god (a personal intelligent designer) is the only kind of designer that can exist. Read on the forces of nature and on entropy.

The emboldened question doesn't make any sense at all. Could you clarify?

Misogynist2014:

Since you're not as stu.pid as those guys, surely, you care to share how "magic" (whatever it is) proves the existence of your god?

Misogynist2014:

The bible is stuff of fairytale that tells us stories of a god nonbelievers are glad doesn't exist. It tells us of a god who asked his faithful, Abraham, to sacrifice his son, who asked Moses to ravage people's lands, properties, kill children, animals etc. A war mongering, blood-sucking, malevolent and disgusting god. A god that would command atrocities that make the holocaust seem like a love story, just to make a stupid point.

Misogynist2014:

Many argue that there are many gods, but let me give you a simple method of eliminating these gods, their account of genesis(what are you building if your foundation is very weak), if they are made by hands(a true God can't be made with human hands), If they desire fetish things like blood(true God does not require the blood of his creatures) , If their book is highly contradictory e.g. Islam's book is highly contradictory, from the use of We for a supposed monotheist God, to telling us that Jesus was neither killed nor crucified but another person was, even to tell us that Jesus did not call himself the Son of God(Muhammad was born 600AD), without telling us why people wanted to kill the one who healed and cured them of their sickness. You can read quran for yourself or check this incriminating link out http://www.answering-islam.org /authors/rogers/pronouns1.html.

I wonder why you haven't applied the same litmus to your religion. "True god does not require blood of his creatures" you say? Here's a list of BLOODY atrocities committed by your "true" god. What's the other one again? "Highly contradictory" holy books. Dude, have you even read the bible? Here, I found you a ginormous list of biblical contradictions which you can verify at your convenience.

I just hope you're not another hypocrite, and you stay true to your criteria for determining false gods.

4 Likes

Re: Atheism Is Not A Religion by Emmalot121(m): 12:11am On Oct 24, 2014
AgentOfAllah:

It is not enough to throw statements around, highlight the flaws in his logic and point to the irrelevant examples, and tell exactly why they are irrelevant.

Science is agnostic, and accuses religion of nothing. But listen to yourself call god an infinite creature (without proof, no less), and then stop short of saying god isn't created. Where's the logical coherence in your argument? I suggest you look up the relationship between the words "creature" and "create".

Yes, it is NOT logical to say "matter cannot be created or destroyed" because that is an outdated postulation. By replacing/equating "matter" with "energy", science has since self-corrected that notion as it always does when new light is shed on any topic of interest.

It is not synonymous at all. Science has phenomenological evidence for its claims. Much less can be said of the Christian argument which is based solely on faith. No one rejects that anything is designed. We reject the lazy attribution of design to false (imaginary) designers/deities.

Again, no one rejects a designer. You seem to think your idea of god (a personal intelligent designer) is the only kind of designer that can exist. Read on the forces of nature and on entropy.

The emboldened question doesn't make any sense at all. Could you clarify?

Since you're not as stu.pid as those guys, surely, you care to share how "magic" (whatever it is) proves the existence of your god?

The bible is stuff of fairytale that tells us stories of a god nonbelievers are glad doesn't exist. It tells us of a god who asked his faithful, Abraham, to sacrifice his son, who asked Moses to ravage people's lands, properties, kill children, animals etc. A war mongering, blood-sucking, malevolent and disgusting god. A god that would command atrocities that make the holocaust seem like a love story, just to make a stupid point.

I wonder why you haven't applied the same litmus to your religion. "True god does not require blood of his creatures" you say? Here's a list of BLOODY atrocities committed by your "true" god. What's the other one again? "Highly contradictory" holy books. Dude, have you even read the bible? Here, I found you a ginormous list of biblical contradictions which you can verify at your convenience.

I just hope you're not another hypocrite, and you stay true to your criteria for determining false gods.
This is my second account. Let's just say 'creature' was an human error . I don't need to view your link cos I've read stuffs like that. You call bible a fairytale? Come off it! Tell me which one is a fairytale, is it Nebuchadnezzar or crossing of red sea or the fall of the great wall of Jericho? History will explain better. Tell me a place in Bible that God told Istrael to fight for fun? Or maybe you really think God a small boy, cos his a three letter word. If he destroys the universe, what are you gonna do?

I read where after the Palestines had taken the ark of God, which slain a great number of people, they took the ark to a certain people, those people shouted and cried, their cries were heard in heaven and they were not slain. This shows you that it is sin that separates man from God. I'm sure you don't understand the story of Isaac or you're playing a fast one.

It is very sad that you don't know what is called theory and law, if you do, the law of matter(energy) is constant and as gone through all observable checks. Big bang is a theory because it still has a hell lot of questions to answer.

You say you believe in an Infinite being, who created the world, but that being is silly enough not to reveal himself. Faith is something extraordinary and scientific, if you have great faith, give it the most difficult of puzzles, it will unravel it.

I am not here to prove silly that God(of Bible) exist, but here to defend my FAITH sad.
Re: Atheism Is Not A Religion by Kay17: 1:15am On Oct 24, 2014
Emmalot121:
This is my second account. Let's just say 'creature' was an human error . I don't need to view your link cos I've read stuffs like that. You call bible a fairytale? Come off it! Tell me which one is a fairytale, is it Nebuchadnezzar or crossing of red sea or the fall of the great wall of Jericho? History will explain better. Tell me a place in Bible that God told Istrael to fight for fun? Or maybe you really think God a small boy, cos his a three letter word. If he destroys the universe, what are you gonna do?

I read where after the Palestines had taken the ark of God, which slain a great number of people, they took the ark to a certain people, those people shouted and cried, their cries were heard in heaven and they were not slain. This shows you that it is sin that separates man from God. I'm sure you don't understand the story of Isaac or you're playing a fast one.

It is very sad that you don't know what is called theory and law, if you do, the law of matter(energy) is constant and as gone through all observable checks. Big bang is a theory because it still has a hell lot of questions to answer.

You say you believe in an Infinite being, who created the world, but that being is silly enough not to reveal himself. Faith is something extraordinary and scientific, if you have great faith, give it the most difficult of puzzles, it will unravel it.

I am not here to prove silly that God(of Bible) exist, but here to defend my FAITH sad.

Such an unusual faith in the Bible.
Re: Atheism Is Not A Religion by Weah96: 5:56am On Oct 24, 2014
Emmalot121:

You couldn't prove that Yahweh exists dude. Atheists succumb to evidence. I'm only here because I know you guys are saying rubbish.

Present real evidence for Jesus, evidence worthy of the claims made in the bible, and everyone here will follow him, even the entire Muslim section.
Re: Atheism Is Not A Religion by Nobody: 6:37am On Oct 24, 2014
Atheism means intellectual reasoning. Intellectual reasoning is a luxury,not everyone can afford it. People who don't think of-course are religious.

1 Like

Re: Atheism Is Not A Religion by AgentOfAllah: 6:37am On Oct 24, 2014
Emmalot121:

So you have read such links, yet you have failed to debunk them?

All you've done here is pull off mendacious maneuvers: "Every god that demands blood and contradicts its self is fake except when it's my god"

Alas, my worse fear is confirmed. You're just another hypocrite after all.

(1) (Reply)

Preach The Gospel Not Condemnation / Photo:baby Boy Born With 8 Limbs(4 Arms And Legs)in India / Pastor / Evangelist Reinhard Bonke Prays For Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 132
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.