Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,842 members, 7,810,245 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 02:08 AM

Arochukwu Disobedience. - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Arochukwu Disobedience. (11038 Views)

Nsibidi And The Ibibio Civilization Of Arochukwu / Inyom Aro As Peace Ambassadors In Arochukwu History / Arochukwu (in Pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Arochukwu Disobedience. by OdenigboAroli(m): 12:45pm On Oct 28, 2014
Rodoillo,I need elephant tusk...Can you go hunting and bring me one like your forefathers use to do for Nri?
Re: Arochukwu Disobedience. by OdenigboAroli(m): 12:46pm On Oct 28, 2014
And very soon I will bring my Okodu boys to go down to Aro and rescue our Amoba brothers!
Re: Arochukwu Disobedience. by OdenigboAroli(m): 1:02pm On Oct 28, 2014
And very soon I will bring my Okodu boys to go down to Aro and rescue our Amoba brothers.
Re: Arochukwu Disobedience. by Nobody: 3:12pm On Oct 28, 2014
OdenigboAroli:

So,you actually believe yourself?
I dont understand why people need to lie to themselves....Aro,Onitsha and many major town brought gift to greet the Eze Nri during coronation. Eze Nri Obalike revealed this himself.

Bwahahaha! First off, Obalike never revealed that anybody from the towns you've mentioned (Aro or Onitsha) brought him gifts during his coronation. Onitsha might have (Arochukwu certainly not), but it is not on record that Obalike ever said so. I’ll even help you make your case by quoting the exact information Eze Nri Obalike gave Northcote Thomas in circa 1910. Note he said nothing about anybody bringing gifts. He only mentioned 'settling disputes' (which Thomas saw no evidence of), and made vague questionable statements about people (including the Bini) 'acknowledging' him - whatever that means.

“The Ezenri claimed that he had to settle disputes in the
territory that acknowledged him, i.e., as far as Amansi in
the east, Agoleri in the north, Umucuku in the south.
How far precisely he is recognized in the west I did not
ascertain. He mentioned among the towns subject to him,
Asaba, Isele, Agbor, and the land as far as Idu (Benin city),
but I have no evidence that Nri men go nearly so far west.
So far as I could see no disputes were referred to him at all….”

I’m assuming that you’ve seen this quote before, and that you thought ‘Umucuku’ was a reference to Arochukwu. Wrong. In the northern axis, Umuchukwu was (until about 1908) the official name of the town now called Aro-Ndikelionwu in Orumba area of Anambra state. In colonial records of the early period, ‘Umuchukwu’ appears as the actual name of Ndikelionwu. Ndikelionwu people occasionally still use the name. [Although fairly recently another town in that area has officially changed its name to Umuchukwu.]

What Eze Nri Obalike was actually saying there was that Ndikelionwu (not Arochukwu) was among the towns which acknowledged him and in which he settled disputes. Like all rulers Eze Nri exaggerated the extent of his authority. (Imagine saying Benin recognized his authority!) We have evidence (even evidence from traditions collected by Onwuejeogwu within Agukwu itself) that the Aro colonies, including Ndikelionwu, were completely irreverent to the authority of the Eze Nri. I’ve already mentioned the incident between Okoli Ijoma and Ezenri Enweleana. There are more examples of such show of non-recognition of Ezenri’s authority. The Aro-Ndikelionwu overwhelmed Nawfia (an Umu-Nri town) and used their road network to attack the Awka area in the 19th century. Aro-hired soldiers attacked Enugu-Ukwu, another Umu-Nri town, although they were successfully repulsed. Aro-hired soldiers attacked Nteje, an Umu-Eri town in 1891 and they fled to their kinsmen in Asaba. These are not the actions of a people that had any regard for Eze Nri’s authority. You can see some of the traditions mentioned here in Onwuejeogwu’s Nri Kingdom and Hegemony, Dike and Ekejiuba’s The Aro: a case study of state formation in southeastern Nigeria. There’s even an eyewitness account of the aftermath of the attack on Nteje in Isichei’s The Igbo Worlds.

I wouldn’t take an Eze Nri who says Benin was subject to him in the early 20th century seriously if I were you. Apparently every people that came into some sort of contact with his ritual agents were interpreted by him as being ‘subject to him.’ Note what Northcote said, “So far as I could see, no disputes were referred to him at all….”

You are doing a good job. Come back when you’ve found something better than Obalike’s self-aggrandizing words (which in any case made no reference to Arochukwu or many major towns in Igboland.)

In the book,Religion,dreaming and society in Africa by M. M Charles Jedrej and Rosalind Shaw it revealed how these major towns brought gifts to Agukwu

Jedrej and Shaw never set foot in Igboland. Why would you think they would have anything ‘revealing’ to contribute here, beyond making the same mistakes people like Ehret made, sitting in their studies in US and Britain, and writing about something they knew so little about? In any case, can you quote Jedrej and Shaw’s actual words?

Perhaps its time to even place Nri in its right context in Igbo cultural history. Starting with the true nature of their relations with the Adama. And I may do so here on this thread.

Rodoillo,I need elephant tusk...Can you go hunting and bring me one like your forefathers use to do for Nri?

I don’t know about elephant tusks. We did make the otonsi for Nri priests, the supreme paraphernalia of their ‘priesthood’. We never made one for Umuoji, though…because they were never ritual agents or representatives of the hegemony. Only the ‘Brahmin’ Nri families in Agukwu-Nri, Oraeri, and the Urunebo quarters of Enugu-Ukwu formed the hieratic elite that defined Nri’s hegemony. grin

Why is an Umuoji man carrying Nri matter on his head to the extent of having an ‘NriPriest’ moniker? No Umuoji man was ever an Nri Priest. Your Nriness is just as trivial as the Nriness of an Ogboli-Ibusa man, or an Aku (Nsukka) man grin

5 Likes

Re: Arochukwu Disobedience. by pazienza(m): 5:03pm On Oct 28, 2014
Nkerehi in Orumba south was the town that recently changed it's name to Umuchukwu, amidst resistance by some people from the community against the name change.
Re: Arochukwu Disobedience. by pazienza(m): 5:04pm On Oct 28, 2014
OdenigboAroli:

Alangwa and Awka boy must pay homage to Nri decendants,or Udo will keep haunting them...lol

Lol.
Re: Arochukwu Disobedience. by modhream: 8:08pm On Oct 28, 2014
Radoillo:

Bwahahaha! First off, Obalike never revealed that anybody from the towns you've mentioned (Aro or Onitsha) brought him gifts during his coronation. Onitsha might have (Arochukwu certainly not), but it is not on record that Obalike ever said so. I’ll even help you make your case by quoting the exact information Eze Nri Obalike gave Northcote Thomas in circa 1910. Note he said nothing about anybody bringing gifts. He only mentioned 'settling disputes' (which Thomas saw no evidence of), and made vague questionable statements about people (including the Bini) 'acknowledging' him - whatever that means.

I’m assuming that you’ve seen this quote before, and that you thought ‘Umucuku’ was a reference to Arochukwu. Wrong. In the northern axis, Umuchukwu was (until about 1908) the official name of the town now called Aro-Ndikelionwu in Orumba area of Anambra state. In colonial records of the early period, ‘Umuchukwu’ appears as the actual name of Ndikelionwu. Ndikelionwu people occasionally still use the name. [Although fairly recently another town in that area has officially changed its name to Umuchukwu.]

What Eze Nri Obalike was actually saying there was that Ndikelionwu (not Arochukwu) was among the towns which acknowledged him and in which he settled disputes. Like all rulers Eze Nri exaggerated the extent of his authority. (Imagine saying Benin recognized his authority!) We have evidence (even evidence from traditions collected by Onwuejeogwu within Agukwu itself) that the Aro colonies, including Ndikelionwu, were completely irreverent to the authority of the Eze Nri. I’ve already mentioned the incident between Okoli Ijoma and Ezenri Enweleana. There are more examples of such show of non-recognition of Ezenri’s authority. The Aro-Ndikelionwu overwhelmed Nawfia (an Umu-Nri town) and used their road network to attack the Awka area in the 19th century. Aro-hired soldiers attacked Enugu-Ukwu, another Umu-Nri town, although they were successfully repulsed. Aro-hired soldiers attacked Nteje, an Umu-Eri town in 1891 and they fled to their kinsmen in Asaba. These are not the actions of a people that had any regard for Eze Nri’s authority. You can see some of the traditions mentioned here in Onwuejeogwu’s Nri Kingdom and Hegemony, Dike and Ekejiuba’s The Aro: a case study of state formation in southeastern Nigeria. There’s even an eyewitness account of the aftermath of the attack on Nteje in Isichei’s The Igbo Worlds.

I wouldn’t take an Eze Nri who says Benin was subject to him in the early 20th century seriously if I were you. Apparently every people that came into some sort of contact with his ritual agents were interpreted by him as being ‘subject to him.’ Note what Northcote said, “So far as I could see, no disputes were referred to him at all….”

You are doing a good job. Come back when you’ve found something better than Obalike’s self-aggrandizing words (which in any case made no reference to Arochukwu or many major towns in Igboland.)

Jedrej and Shaw never set foot in Igboland. Why would you think they would have anything ‘revealing’ to contribute here, beyond making the same mistakes people like Ehret made, sitting in their studies in US and Britain, and writing about something they knew so little about? In any case, can you quote Jedrej and Shaw’s actual words?

Perhaps its time to even place Nri in its right context in Igbo cultural history. Starting with the true nature of their relations with the Adama. And I may do so here on this thread.

I don’t know about elephant tusks. We did make the otonsi for Nri priests, the supreme paraphernalia of their ‘priesthood’. We never made one for Umuoji, though…because they were never ritual agents or representatives of the hegemony. Only the ‘Brahmin’ Nri families in Agukwu-Nri, Oraeri, and the Urunebo quarters of Enugu-Ukwu formed the hieratic elite that defined Nri’s hegemony. grin

Why is an Umuoji man carrying Nri matter on his head to the extent of having an ‘NriPriest’ moniker? No Umuoji man was ever an Nri Priest. Your Nriness is just as trivial as the Nriness of an Ogboli-Ibusa man, or an Aku (Nsukka) man grin
You made a lot of points here,but I will like u to know that acknowledging or recognizing someone doesn't necessarily mean being subject to the person's authority.Benin might have acknowledged Nri,exchanged embassies with them(not saying it happened),that doesn't mean one was subject to the other.
Just saying.
Re: Arochukwu Disobedience. by ChinenyeN(m): 8:15pm On Oct 28, 2014
OdenigboAroli:
Alangwa and Awka boy must pay homage to Nri decendants,or Udo will keep haunting them...lol

Ochi wei! Nri wouldn't even be able to break kola in Urata, not to talk of journeying to Ngwa to plead for homage.

2 Likes

Re: Arochukwu Disobedience. by OdenigboAroli(m): 9:18pm On Oct 28, 2014
ChinenyeN:

Ochi wei! Nri wouldn't even be able to break kola in Urata, not to talk of journeying to Ngwa to plead for homage.

Nwoke,easy....If Aro your superiors paid homaged to Eze Nri,what becomes of Ngwa....lol

By the way,when are you gonna release a book about egwu mgbede in Ngwa...We talking about cultures that shaped the Igbo society nigga talking about egwu mgbede of the young maidens...Alangwa nyuu ka oku npanaka!
Re: Arochukwu Disobedience. by OdenigboAroli(m): 9:27pm On Oct 28, 2014
Rodoillo,why are you so disrespectful to an institution that civilized your primitive Awka people??
You run around looking for old works did by researchers and go ahead to alter them to suit your insecure aa..ss. Why are you so pained?? Why are you so insecure and hateful of the ones God has blessed?? Why cant you just assume your place and show some respect to Nri blood like me? That wont kill you,rather more blessings will come your way...Do you know Nze na Ozo can be taken away from Awka people?? Be careful before you bring curse to your generation. Saying Obalike is a liar is very dangerous!
Re: Arochukwu Disobedience. by odumchi: 10:53pm On Oct 28, 2014
Churchi agbasaa. Uka agwu. grin

1 Like

Re: Arochukwu Disobedience. by OdenigboAroli(m): 4:18am On Oct 29, 2014
Church gbasaa,i naba nu!
Onwee onye ji yi aka ?
And when you get home dont forget to greet my Okodu brothers in Arochukwu.
Re: Arochukwu Disobedience. by Nobody: 8:56am On Oct 29, 2014
modhream:

You made a lot of points here,but I will like u to know that acknowledging or recognizing someone doesn't necessarily mean being subject to the person's authority.Benin might have acknowledged Nri,exchanged embassies with them(not saying it happened),that doesn't mean one was subject to the other.
Just saying.

I get that. In the quote from Northcote Thomas though, the Ezenri did say that the land as far as Idu was subject to him.

I believe it is plausible that the Nri travelled as far west as Benin. Whatever they did there we cannot tell. The Nri claimed (in the 1930s) that they crowned the Obas of Benin, which is strange because all the information we have on the coronation of an Oba does not mention the Nri at all. In fact, Bini traditions are completely silent about the Nri.

But still I see your point. Both groups could have known each other first hand (although the contact apparently was not of enough intensity for Benin to have remembered). What I find questionable is the use of the phrase 'subject to' in describing the Oba's place in respect to the Ezenri.
Re: Arochukwu Disobedience. by Nobody: 9:04am On Oct 29, 2014
OdenigboAroli:
Rodoillo,why are you so disrespectful to an institution that civilized your primitive Awka people??
You run around looking for old works did by researchers and go ahead to alter them to suit your insecure aa..ss. Why are you so pained?? Why are you so insecure and hateful of the ones God has blessed?? Why cant you just assume your place and show some respect to Nri blood like me? That wont kill you,rather more blessings will come your way...Do you know Nze na Ozo can be taken away from Awka people?? Be careful before you bring curse to your generation. Saying Obalike is a liar is very dangerous!

grin grin grin

Nri blood like you, abi? You do know there are two accounts of Umuoji origin, right? And both accounts are equally presented on every Umuoji forum. Can you tell us why you chose to go with the Nri story and neglect the other?

I thought you people are kin with Abatete and Nkpor. The old Abatete man living in my father's compound in Awka doesn't see himself as being of Nri descent. How come? grin

Like I've said before, your very Nriness is questionable. Go sit in a corner. I want to hear someone from Agukwu-Nri or Oraeri. Or Enugu-Ukwu, Nawfia, Enugu-Agidi or Nnokwa. Why are they not making noise? Kedu why o ji bulu so onu gi ka a na-anu here? grin
Re: Arochukwu Disobedience. by Handsomegod(m): 12:29pm On Oct 29, 2014
This thread is not only exciting,it is also one of the most educative on Igbo history with emphasis on the various Igbo groups being dealt with by some of the brightest igbo minds on nl. @Radillo,Odenigbo,Pazienza,ChineyeN et al,please how did u guys know soooo much about Igbo history and traditions? I found it hard to believe I know almost nothing compared to u guys.Kindly recommend books and sites where I can consult to shore up my knowledge.My cousins here in the states are also passionate about Igboland eventhough they've been here just 3 times in their lifetimes so far. Please can someone also tell me who is "Ezechima"?.Was he an Nri mystic on expedition to Benin who through his uncommon prowess was able to found many towns today or was he a Benin prince banished from the palace and how come he bore igbo name? I shudder to think of the latter as am totally convinced he was an Igbo man on a journey.Even the great Zik of Africa hinted on his Benin ancestry and I found that repulsive.Please you guys should assist and clear the air on this as it has been a topic of endless debate here.Igbo bu ofu+May God bless us all!
Re: Arochukwu Disobedience. by adusim: 7:58am On Oct 30, 2014
OdenigboAroli:
I will like to find out why Arochukwu stopped bringing gifts and paying homages to EZE NRI,like they use to. All the proud Aro sons should come here and explain this to me.
Not just Aro but all the other major towns in Igboland. To me this is a complete disobedience to a sacred institution.

OdenigboAroli, you are a foolish man. Who is Eze Nri? He isn't worth shyte in Igbo land except for a few deluded fools like you. You better shut up and hold your corner, boy. You Nri people only recently started calling yourself Igbo and now you want to try and assume a position that you are not even entitled to. Come to my neck of the woods and speak to some one like this. You will be subject to a public flogging. wink

1 Like

Re: Arochukwu Disobedience. by letu(m): 10:00am On Oct 30, 2014
OdenigboAroli:

Nwoke,easy....If Aro your superiors paid homaged to Eze Nri,what becomes of Ngwa....lol

By the way,when are you gonna release a book about egwu mgbede in Ngwa...We talking about cultures that shaped the Igbo society nigga talking about egwu mgbede of the young maidens...Alangwa nyuu ka oku npanaka!
Re: Arochukwu Disobedience. by letu(m): 10:32am On Oct 30, 2014
OdenigboAroli:

Superior base on what trade&commerce or militry, even the name alangwa is base on a concept and also ngwa in the olden day's was made up of many indipendent villeage confedretion/city state which is upto hundred in number also including asangwa group of pri - colonia era, the aro i know are not stupid because they know what the will be up against if they try any military ativity inwhich what i know is the ohafia/bende group that alwas come on their own for head hunting, those captured by ngwa people will killed includin the obegu saga where inocient women and children where killed which gave the british justification to invade Igbo land.
Re: Arochukwu Disobedience. by ChinenyeN(m): 4:31pm On Oct 30, 2014
The history between the Aro Confederacy and the Ngwa isn't shrouded in mystery. Aro at no point served as superiors of any capacity to the Ngwa populace.
Re: Arochukwu Disobedience. by bigfrancis21: 11:21pm On Oct 30, 2014
Radoillo:

@bold...The Arochukwu people were also known as Umuchukwu as well. How sure can we say the Umuchukwu in bold isn't in reference to the Arochukwu?
Re: Arochukwu Disobedience. by bigfrancis21: 11:24pm On Oct 30, 2014
adusim:

OdenigboAroli, you are a foolish man. Who is Eze Nri? He isn't worth shyte in Igbo land except for a few deluded fools like you. You better shut up and hold your corner, boy. Y[b]ou Nri people only recently started calling yourself Igbo[/b] and now you want to try and assume a position that you are not even entitled to. Come to my neck of the woods and speak to some one like this. You will be subject to a public flogging. wink

Pre-colonial times, most Igbo clans referred to themselves by their village names rather than 'Igbo'. The Igbo tag and consciousness is only but of recent construct. So where is this coming from?
Re: Arochukwu Disobedience. by Nobody: 12:47am On Oct 31, 2014
bigfrancis21:

@bold...The Arochukwu people were also known as Umuchukwu as well. How sure can we say the Umuchukwu in bold isn't in reference to the Arochukwu?

Context. The Aro as a people were known alternatively as 'Umuchukwu' in much of Igboland, particularly in the south, yes.

A distinction, however, has to be made between what the people were called (on the basis of the oracle they promoted) and what the town was called. In northern Igbo traditions, the town of Arochukwu was never referred to as Umuchukwu. I'm not sure the people in the south used Umuchukwu when speaking specifically of the town of Arochukwu either. I can't speak for them though.

As the name of a town, in the Northern Igbo axis, it had always been associated with Ndikelionwu, and, as I stated earlier, early colonial records also do refer to Ndikelionwu specifically as Umuchukwu. Out of the at least 7 Aro colonies in the Orumba zone (which by the way is south of Agukwu), Ndikelionwu was the one known by this name.

I don't think it's at all hard to deduce which town the Ezenri was referring to in that context. Umuchukwu would (from the information I have on this) be a really strange name for someone from the Nri-Awka axis to know the town of Arochukwu by.
Re: Arochukwu Disobedience. by odumchi: 4:44am On Oct 31, 2014
Radoillo:

A distinction, however, has to be made between what the people were called (on the basis of the oracle they promoted) and what the town was called. In northern Igbo traditions, the town of Arochukwu was never referred to as Umuchukwu. I'm not sure the people in the south used Umuchukwu when speaking specifically of the town of Arochukwu either. I can't speak for them though.

'Aro Okigbo' (or simply 'Okigbo') was what Arochukwu was referred to as.

1 Like

Re: Arochukwu Disobedience. by adusim: 11:55am On Oct 31, 2014
bigfrancis21:

Pre-colonial times, most Igbo clans referred to themselves by their village names rather than 'Igbo'. The Igbo tag and consciousness is only but of recent construct. So where is this coming from?

This is coming from a place that recognises that a select group of people were always referred to as 'IGBO' since time immemorial and that most (if not all) of the people in Northern Igbo land were not, which includes Nri. Case in point, when asked if they were Igbo most of the people occupying Anambra refuted this tag and disdainfully referred to those living to the south as Igbos - a hitherto derogatory term. My point is, you jekebe people are recent new comers in the Igbo speaking area. Nevertheless, you are all welcome. I suggest you read up on the deep cleavages in Igbo land for your continued education.

1 Like

Re: Arochukwu Disobedience. by Nobody: 12:18pm On Oct 31, 2014
adusim:

This is coming from a place that recognises that a select group of people were always referred to as 'IGBO' since time immemorial and that most (if not all) of the people in Northern Igbo land were not, which includes Nri. Case in point, when asked if they were Igbo most of the people occupying Anambra refuted this tag and disdainfully referred to those living to the south as Igbos - a hitherto derogatory term. My point is, you jekebe people are recent new comers in the Igbo speaking area. Nevertheless, you are all welcome. I suggest you read up on the deep cleavages in Igbo land for your continued education.

The bolded is just not correct. Its even a little strange. Jekebe or Ijekebe is not even synonymous with Anambra. It was a term used for the Onitsha people and derives from the way an Onitsha man will say, "Where are you going?"
Re: Arochukwu Disobedience. by bigfrancis21: 4:14pm On Oct 31, 2014
adusim:

And what is your point? If NI/WI found it difficult accepting the Igbo tag have you ever bothered understanding their cultural and societal background to understand why they might have done so? You're pointing fingers at NI for not accepting the Igbo tag when SI itself was very guilty of the same offence.

In the times of yore, 'Igbo' in Western Igboland and some areas of NI meant 'slave'. This might make more sense given that Southern Igboland participated more in the slave trade in selling themselves than did the NI (save for a few places). And NI/WI clans used 'Igbo' to refer to 'the set of people living downwards/southwards of them who sold themselves out as slaves'. Very little evidence exists for the wilful participation of NI in slavery. It is safe to say that slavery was largely frowned upon in NI axis. The 'disdain' you mentioned should therefore be now better understood by you.

In addition, entire southern Igboland clans never referred to themselves as 'Igbo' except maybe the Aruchukwu slave raiders (Arochukwu was also referred to as 'Aro Oke Igbo' or 'Okigbo' in short) that traversed the entire Igboland scouting for slaves. They were known to apply red coloring on their body in disguise before proceeding on their activities - the same people Olaudah might have referred to as 'Oye Eboe' (red men from a distance) when he wrote his book. The 'distance' Olaudah referring to probably being Arochukwu. The Igbere (Igbo ere) town in Abia state was named after an unsuccessful attempt by slave raiders (most likely Aro) to invade and capture slaves from the town but were resisted by the people. In celebration of their success, they named their town, 'Igbo ereghi' (the Igbo could not sell us. In other words, they were not 'Igbo' but rather the people who tried to invade them'). Such town names like this are equally subtle reminders of the non-generality of the 'Igbo' tag across southern Igboland.

Igbo slaves (who were mostly from the south), on arrival at the Americas, when asked their ethnicities mentioned their respective villages they came from and hardly mentioned 'Igbo' and were shocked to discover that they and everyone speaking similar dialects and from the Bight of Bonny were being called 'Igbo' in the Americas. Those slaves did not have the so-called Igbo consciousness as they were not born and raised with it.

The general Igbo consciousness and ethnic tag started coming into widespread acceptance and usage from around early 20th century after the British occupation of Nigeria and their grouping of similar-sounding dialects together as one.

The acceptance or non-acceptance of the Igbo tag is totally relevant to the authenticity of an Igbo clan. Before the advent of the Igbo ethnic group, these clans had always existed, interacted amongst themselves and knew themselves without any Igbo-attachment whatsoever.
Re: Arochukwu Disobedience. by tpia6: 4:40pm On Oct 31, 2014
The Igbere (Igbo ere) town in Abia state was named after an unsuccessful attempt by slave raiders (most likely Aro) to invade and capture slaves from the town but were resisted by the people. In celebration of their success, they named their town, 'Igbo ereghi' (the Igbo could not sell us. In other words, they were not 'Igbo' but rather the people who tried to invade them')

what was the name of the town before then?

just curious.
Re: Arochukwu Disobedience. by bigfrancis21: 4:46pm On Oct 31, 2014
tpia6:

what was the name of the town before then?

just curious.

I'd have to do a little research to find out their name before then.
Re: Arochukwu Disobedience. by bigfrancis21: 4:55pm On Oct 31, 2014
Here's a link on the history of Igbere:

http://igbere.com/historycontinued.htm
Re: Arochukwu Disobedience. by tpia6: 4:58pm On Oct 31, 2014
^ thanks.
Re: Arochukwu Disobedience. by adusim: 11:47am On Nov 01, 2014
bigfrancis21:

And what is your point? If NI/WI found it difficult accepting the Igbo tag have you ever bothered understanding their cultural and societal background to understand why they might have done so? You're pointing fingers at NI for not accepting the Igbo tag when SI itself was very guilty of the same offence.

In the times of yore, 'Igbo' in Western Igboland and some areas of NI meant 'slave'. This might make more sense given that Southern Igboland participated more in the slave trade in selling themselves than did the NI (save for a few places). And NI/WI clans used 'Igbo' to refer to 'the set of people living downwards/southwards of them who sold themselves out as slaves'. Very little evidence exists for the wilful participation of NI in slavery. It is safe to say that slavery was largely frowned upon in NI axis. The 'disdain' you mentioned should therefore be now better understood by you.

In addition, entire southern Igboland clans never referred to themselves as 'Igbo' except maybe the Aruchukwu slave raiders (Arochukwu was also referred to as 'Aro Oke Igbo' or 'Okigbo' in short) that traversed the entire Igboland scouting for slaves. They were known to apply red coloring on their body in disguise before proceeding on their activities - the same people Olaudah might have referred to as 'Oye Eboe' (red men from a distance) when he wrote his book. The 'distance' Olaudah referring to probably being Arochukwu. The Igbere (Igbo ere) town in Abia state was named after an unsuccessful attempt by slave raiders (most likely Aro) to invade and capture slaves from the town but were resisted by the people. In celebration of their success, they named their town, 'Igbo ereghi' (the Igbo could not sell us. In other words, they were not 'Igbo' but rather the people who tried to invade them'). Such town names like this are equally subtle reminders of the non-generality of the 'Igbo' tag across southern Igboland.

Igbo slaves (who were mostly from the south), on arrival at the Americas, when asked their ethnicities mentioned their respective villages they came from and hardly mentioned 'Igbo' and were shocked to discover that they and everyone speaking similar dialects and from the Bight of Bonny were being called 'Igbo' in the Americas. Those slaves did not have the so-called Igbo consciousness as they were not born and raised with it.

The general Igbo consciousness and ethnic tag started coming into widespread acceptance and usage from around early 20th century after the British occupation of Nigeria and their grouping of similar-sounding dialects together as one.

The acceptance or non-acceptance of the Igbo tag is totally relevant to the authenticity of an Igbo clan. Before the advent of the Igbo ethnic group, these clans had always existed, interacted amongst themselves and knew themselves without any Igbo-attachment whatsoever.

My friend keep quiet. What is the purpose of this ramblings? Fact is, you people are not the origin of 'Igbo'! You have just admitted it! Nri are an off shoot of Igala and never accepted the tag 'Igbo'. We in Orlu have Amaigbo, which is rich with culture and is our ancestral origin. My people, Awo Omamma, migrated from Awo Idemili, which is in the same Orlu area. We have no knowledge of any place in your area and laugh amongst ourselves when pretenders who are not even real Igbos assume the cloak of originators!!!! My dear, ogadimma ooo!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

My Wife-To-Be Is An "Osu" / Sango Vs Amadioha, Which Is Most Preferred And Why? Africans Oya Try / Where Are The Igbos, Hausas And Other Non-Yorubas?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 106
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.