Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,016 members, 7,817,999 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:08 AM

Couple Issue.... Can U Go For Advice Afta Marriage - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Couple Issue.... Can U Go For Advice Afta Marriage (1254 Views)

How Long Can U Allow Your Mum To Stay In Your Matrimonial Home? / At What Lenght Can U Go As Parents In Teach Ur Children Sex Education / If U Meet Ur Papa 4 Asewo House Wetin U Go Do Self? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Couple Issue.... Can U Go For Advice Afta Marriage by Praisely(f): 2:16pm On Oct 23, 2014
well am back with a new hit.....jeezzz..........
OK.... I went to church yesterday...cus we do have class for eternar marrige.so
A elderly woman asked a question....
IS IT GUD FOR A MARRIAGE WOMAN TO COMPLAIN TO HER MOTHER IF SHE AND HER HUSBAND HAS A QUARREL.... FOR ADVICE OR COUNSEL jezz....
contribution start coming from the class
A young lady said she cant do dat but if d issue bcome serious... She will call her mother in-law and her own mother... For advice...hmmmmmm.... A brother start shouting that her wife cant talk to anybdy if they shuld have issue, nt even his own mother can put mouth in his own family issue
He even go on to say even if the issue is serious... She cant do dat. Hmmmm
.A/elderly man said he will advice the woman to come for counsel from her mother... That even if her mother shuld give her a bad advice... She knws what is good for her
Then he gave a story abt how a couple were having issues @ home... And while the wife was cooking inside the kitchen.. he went there and lock the door of the kitchen... The elderly went on to say.. The woman was inside d kitchen for 7days... The husband took the children to another place... The youngest have to run to their pastor to explain that their mother is inside the kitchen.. Bfor every up and down... The woman came out... And a seek advice from her mother... Which is to beg her husband...... Hmmmmm
I WAS NOT ABLE TO CONTRIBUTE CUS I WAS FEELING DOWN:: BUT THE WHOLE SCENERIO WAS FUNNY:::CUS DERE WAS Argument... Evn after the class ended..so
To all the marry and single...pls share ur opinion.... And least i forget... Sumone says it is only from ur pastor/bishop... U can get advice from...

BOUNJOR!!!!!!!!
Re: Couple Issue.... Can U Go For Advice Afta Marriage by Mynd44: 2:22pm On Oct 23, 2014
Hmmmm.
Depends on how reasonable the adviser is. No matter how perfect your marriage is, you will need someone to talk to if not for advice, just to get stuff off your mind
Re: Couple Issue.... Can U Go For Advice Afta Marriage by timpaker(m): 2:40pm On Oct 23, 2014
I think they have marriage counselors or something close to it.
Well, Families have overtime been able to solve their children's marital issues. So yes, it's okay to seek for advice from family member. Cuz an advice is given from experience.
Re: Couple Issue.... Can U Go For Advice Afta Marriage by sucezTP(f): 2:41pm On Oct 23, 2014
Mynd44:
Hmmmm.
Depends on how reasonable the adviser is. No matter how perfect your marriage is, you will need someone to talk to if not for advice, just to get stuff off your mind

Hmmmm...Pls, give example of that "someone"!
Is it your mum, dad, mother-in-law, father-in-law, gf, bf,....?
Re: Couple Issue.... Can U Go For Advice Afta Marriage by Mynd44: 2:43pm On Oct 23, 2014
sucezTP:

Hmmmm...Pls, give example of that "someone"!
Is it your mum, dad, mother-in-law, father-in-law, gf, bf,....?
The factor here is how reasonable the person is. Hell it could a friend you are older than sef
Re: Couple Issue.... Can U Go For Advice Afta Marriage by sucezTP(f): 2:59pm On Oct 23, 2014
Mynd44:

The factor here is how reasonable the person is. Hell it could a friend you are older than sef

Ok then! In my own opinion, third party shouldn't be encouraged in a marriage, and if need be, let that person be your spouse.
Yea, there are times you will surely need someone to talk to, but any decision you make at that point can either make or destroy your marriage cos not everyone you think is reasonable is actually reasonable. Above all, God first!
Re: Couple Issue.... Can U Go For Advice Afta Marriage by DesChyko: 3:08pm On Oct 23, 2014
Two excellent heads are better than one.
Re: Couple Issue.... Can U Go For Advice Afta Marriage by JEITO: 3:21pm On Oct 23, 2014
Is this the "new hit" undecided

Anyway back to the topic; sure we learn in marriage so external advice is important but the source matters.

For me, I won't advise young married couples to seek advice from their friends(those about the same age with them) on matters of how to handle marital challenges(especially early marriage crisis). It is better they seek advice from much older/religious couples.

That's a major reason why marriages have sponsors: as a sponsor your job is not to support the couple with money for their wedding, but to be a role model/mentor to them. They should be able to come to you for counsel anytime. Couples too shouldn't go for just anybody as sponsors! They should be people with successful marriages.

You can seek advice from your parents but not on every matter because there's this tendency of some parent to be biased in favour of their child in the marriage. Another reason why it may not be too good to always rely on your parent or family member for counsel is that your partner may begin to feel like there's a gang-up with ur family against him or her. This is not to say you shouldn't seek advise from your family members, because am sure most parent want the best for their children but the blood you carry usually have a way of favouring its own.

For me I'll advise couples to seek advice from their sponsor(or mentor couples), religious/spiritual heads(pastor and his wife or your imam and his wife), their parent/trusted family members, well respected older couple that they have close relationship with not just any old couple.

But all these should be after you have talked with your partner about the issues, and nothing positive seem to be coming out. And also after you have prayed over the matter and it is as though, nothing is changing before you take it outside: you must not be quick to take every matter that happens inside your house to the outside.

2 Likes

Re: Couple Issue.... Can U Go For Advice Afta Marriage by sucezTP(f): 5:31pm On Oct 23, 2014
JEITO:

Anyway back to the topic; sure we learn in marriage so external advice is important but the source matters.

For me, I won't advise young married couples to seek advice from their friends(those about the same age with them) on matters of how to handle marital challenges(especially early marriage crisis). It is better they seek advice from much older/religious couples.

That's a major reason why marriages have sponsors: as a sponsor your job is not to support the couple with money for their wedding, but to be a role model/mentor to them. They should be able to come to you for counsel anytime. Couples too shouldn't go for just anybody as sponsors! They should be people with successful marriages.

You can seek advice from your parents but not on every matter because there's this tendency of some parent to be biased in favour of their child in the marriage. Another reason why it may not be too good to always rely on your parent or family member for counsel is that your partner may begin to feel like there's a gang-up with ur family against him or her. This is not to say you shouldn't seek advise from your family members, because am sure most parent want the best for their children but the blood you carry usually have a way of favouring its own.

For me I'll advise couples to seek advice from their sponsor(or mentor couples), religious/spiritual heads(pastor and his wife or your imam and his wife), their parent/trusted family members, well respected older couple that they have close relationship with not just any old couple.

But all these should be after you have talked with your partner about the issues, and nothing positive seem to be coming out. And also after you have prayed over the matter and it is as though, nothing is changing before you take it outside: you must not be quick to take every matter that happens inside your house to the outside.
Re: Couple Issue.... Can U Go For Advice Afta Marriage by Nobody: 5:58pm On Oct 23, 2014
JEITO:

Very well said!

Couples should also consider the mediator's perceptions that may linger on long after arguments have been settled, and jointly agree on who should (or shouldn't) be involved as a third party.

1 Like

Re: Couple Issue.... Can U Go For Advice Afta Marriage by Dygeasy(m): 7:23pm On Oct 23, 2014
sucezTP:

Ok then! In my own opinion, third party shouldn't be encouraged in a marriage, and if need be, let that person be your spouse.
Yea, there are times you will surely need someone to talk to, but any decision you make at that point can either make or destroy your marriage cos not everyone you think is reasonable is actually reasonable. Above all, God first!
Do you know there are times you'd wanna shoot that spouse of yours and the only thing you'd want to do then is just talk to someone to pour your heart to? You can't exclude a third party. It's nearly impossible. The person just has to be resonable.
Re: Couple Issue.... Can U Go For Advice Afta Marriage by sucezTP(f): 10:40pm On Oct 23, 2014
Dygeasy:
Do you know there are times you'd wanna shoot that spouse of yours and the only thing you'd want to do then is just talk to someone to pour your heart to? You can't exclude a third party. It's nearly impossible. The person just has to be resonable.

Maybe sha., but i think "jeito" said it all.

(1) (Reply)

Who Are We? / "...Marriages Today Are Uncomfortable..." / How Do You Help A 8 Years Old Girl With Low Self Esteem

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.