Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,600 members, 7,809,184 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:34 AM

In What Ways Have You Benefitted From Rot In Education System - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / In What Ways Have You Benefitted From Rot In Education System (443 Views)

The Dangers Of A Certificate-conscious Education System! / Who Is To Blame For The Rot In Our Education System? / New Education System In Nigeria: 9-3-4 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

In What Ways Have You Benefitted From Rot In Education System by mumumugu(m): 5:33pm On Oct 23, 2014
In 2009, I wrote a WAEC exam in Nigeria. I did not know any pim in mathematics, so I followed the Nigerian standard and copied all the answers from a good friend whom I knew was very good in mathematics class then. When I say I copied, I mean I copied everything, including theory and objective. This guy was very good in maths. I just simply relied on his authority thay day. We were not on the same seat but we had done the needful to the exam officials, so we could move freely in the exam hall to copy from whoever we liked.

When WAEC published the results some months later, I made a C in maths, and this guy whom I copied from failed the same maths, he had F. Not just him, many others who were good that I did not talk to that day failed in the exam. In fact, the way it was with the exam, if you pass maths, you will fail english, and if pass english, you will fail maths. But I scaled both, it was my first and probably last WAEC exam.

Today, I am rounding up my university program, and my friend who helped me scale through maths in WAEC has only recently (this year) been offered admission into a polytechnique, after all attempts to study engineering in the university failed due to two times failure in WAEC, two times failure in JAMB, and I guess he got tired and relaxed with the poly choice this year.

There are thousands of students like him in Nigeria.
I am not a religious person so if any of you reading this post thinks that it is God that made me pass my exam, then you must be joking. Such a God must be unjust, at least to my friend whom I know is very religious. In fact, I do not think I have a good relationship with my God, right from my childhood days. So please don't bring God into this. I equally do not believe in luck or miracles.
What happened in that WAEC exam was simply an abnormality in the Nigerian educational system. I simply benefitted from the corruption in our educational system.

Why would the Nigerian government tell me that I must have a credit in maths via WAEC even after I have told them that I want to study humanities or liberal arts in the university? Why should the system make maths compulsory for a student like me who has a natural dislike for mathematical patience? I already chose to dislike maths right from my primary school days and the Grammar secondary school I attended did not bother to help me out. They just let me go astray, thanks to free education. Anything above 1 + 1 in maths, count me out. But I had a C in WAEC.
Anyway, something is wrong with our educational system, starting from the nursery school and up the PhD level
Re: In What Ways Have You Benefitted From Rot In Education System by Nobody: 8:06pm On Oct 23, 2014
pim
Re: In What Ways Have You Benefitted From Rot In Education System by shanwerali9: 10:41am On Jun 15, 2020
Today, I am making my undergraduate degree plan, and my friend who supported me measure through mathematics at WAEC has recently (this year) been offered admission to a science course, after all attempts to study machinery at the university failed due to a double standard. We need tutoriage reviews now. At WAEC, failure twice at JAMB, and I guess you're tired and rested with poly selection this year.

(1) (Reply)

Are You At A Crossroad? / Lecturer Lynched And Burnt to Death By Angry Youths / Nigeria Police Academy Reserve List Bn Compiled,call_09036077560

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.