Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,493 members, 7,819,803 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:56 PM

Who Is To Blame For The Rot In Our Education System? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Who Is To Blame For The Rot In Our Education System? (14602 Views)

The Dangers Of A Certificate-conscious Education System! / Who Is To Be Blame For Student's Poor Performance? / New Education System In Nigeria: 9-3-4 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Who Is To Blame For The Rot In Our Education System? by Onyegecha(f): 8:05pm On Jan 20, 2013
1. Teachers in our schools are generally low-grade, poorly motivated, ill-equipped for their sacred duty.

2. Exam malpractice has become a culture; the most important friend to students. Even teachers are products and fans of the monster.

3. WAEC, NECO, JAMB and every other exam body thrives on the proceeds of exam malpractice, yet we have a government in place

4. Cult activities blossom in the primary schools right now. All imaginable acts of hooliganism are perpetrated by young children, sometimes under the supervision of one or two shameless teachers.

5. University teachers belittle themselves before their students by selling grades for money or sex. Yet we have establishments that should check the activities of these criminal and abominable lecturers.

6. Books to be recommended for study in schools are selected on the basis of financial gratification and not quality
as Officials of the ministry of education reek of graft.

7. Parents connive with corrupt teachers at every level to buy results and certificates for their children.

8. The government is guilty of criminal negligence. They sit at ease in the government houses and luxurious offices while our future burns

Concerned parents who can afford it quickly send their children to quality schools abroad or in Nigeria. Is this really the solution we need? Will these privileged children not come back to meet the rot they are running away from? What is the way out? Who is to blame?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who Is To Blame For The Rot In Our Education System? by k2039: 8:14pm On Jan 20, 2013
8. The government is guilty of criminal negligence. They sit at ease in the government houses and luxurious offices while our future burns
Point 8 has the greatest effect on our education system, all your points have contributed to the current state of education in Nigeria.
Re: Who Is To Blame For The Rot In Our Education System? by Odunnu: 8:21pm On Jan 20, 2013
Its a shame on the nation. The Parents, The Child, The Teachers, the Government. We all have huge part to play.
I blame the child primarily because even in the midst of the rot, those who want to excel, do excel. When a child is focused, distractions are simply, distractions.

[s]BTW, we are planning on starting our own sectional debate, and this appears to be a good topic. Fingers crossed[/s]
Re: Who Is To Blame For The Rot In Our Education System? by Afam4eva(m): 8:31pm On Jan 20, 2013
These days, i don'[t respect someone who tells me he got 7 As or first class degree from a Nigerian school. The Nigerian educational system has bitten the dust just like every other sector in the economy.

Talking about passing blames. I'll blame the government first then the citizens second. The government are responsible for what has befallen the educational system because they are the ones in charge of regulating the standard of schools in the country and they have failed in that regard. The citizens have also not demanded enough.
Re: Who Is To Blame For The Rot In Our Education System? by Odunnu: 8:32pm On Jan 20, 2013
That is your personal opinion. It doesnt solve any problem
Re: Who Is To Blame For The Rot In Our Education System? by k2039: 8:56pm On Jan 20, 2013
Odunnu: Its a shame on the nation. The Parents, The Child, The Teachers, the Government. We all have huge part to play.
I blame the child primarily because even in the midst of the rot, those who want to excel, do excel. When a child is focused, distractions are simply, distractions.

[s]BTW, we are planning on starting our own sectional debate, and this appears to be a good topic. Fingers crossed[/s]
Not in cases where you need infrastructures and the facilities in place to be able to study well.
I regret studying the course I'm studying because I have not been exposed to any serious practical experience. I need not tell you how messed up our labs are, in fact the equipments are out dated. How is that my fault.
Re: Who Is To Blame For The Rot In Our Education System? by 1forall: 12:12am On Jan 21, 2013
1forall: Nigerian governments have strategically been dis-educating (apologies to Pius Adesanmi) the Nigerian citizen for decades. Our educational institutions have been left to rot and its no wonder that private Nigerian citizens spent ₦160b (more than the national budget for education) on education in Ghana in 2011, that we've spent even more in Europe and USA over the years, that we now have Nigerians studying in Turkey, Poland, Ukraine, Malaysia etc, that illiteracy figures have forever remained sky high, that education no longer holds the attraction it used to, that the youth are as you say; hopeless in the midst of opportunity, and that the average mind appears to reason upside down these days.

It is a powerful strategic tool that governments have used to mentally disenfranchise citizens, afterall only those who are educated and know better can demand their rights and clamor against injustice. A dis-educated citizenry is the perfect playground for perpetual corruption and successive Nigerian governments have never taken that lightly.

From: https://www.nairaland.com/1115254/nigeria-experience/1#13152531

1 Like

Re: Who Is To Blame For The Rot In Our Education System? by Okijajuju1(m): 12:55pm On Jan 21, 2013
Re: Who Is To Blame For The Rot In Our Education System? by Nobody: 12:59pm On Jan 21, 2013
Waiting to See people mention GEJ

2 Likes

Re: Who Is To Blame For The Rot In Our Education System? by pinky21(f): 1:03pm On Jan 21, 2013
Evry1 shares from d blame. Naija is a corrupt country. Al we need is prayers.
Re: Who Is To Blame For The Rot In Our Education System? by Nobody: 1:04pm On Jan 21, 2013
Okija_juju: ,.....
Nnaa ogini zi?

@ topic,
I feel a lot of parents contribute to this problem because they are the ones that pay for the exam malpractices. Some even beg teachers to aid their wards. Some change school for their children when they repeat. All are not showing the child a good way to go
Re: Who Is To Blame For The Rot In Our Education System? by Nobody: 1:11pm On Jan 21, 2013
there's always an excuse when you need one.

Thanks to Facebook, twitter, BBM, whatsapp, skype... they could chat out their lives.
Thanks to premier league, they've got something else to bug their head
Thanks to Nollywood, our ladies don't even sleep say less read
Thanks Big Brother Africa, Talent Hunt, Ultimate Search, they have more time to dedicate to the TV
Thanks to nairaland.com and lindaikeji's blog, they can say junk without caution

2 Likes

Re: Who Is To Blame For The Rot In Our Education System? by ignis: 1:11pm On Jan 21, 2013
Everybody has a fault in one way or the other.
Re: Who Is To Blame For The Rot In Our Education System? by Nobody: 1:14pm On Jan 21, 2013
@Pinky, prayer aint going to do nothing but waste more time.. or are you saying 'we' dont pray thats why 'we' always fail? there's more to this than meets the eye, lets stop ascribing everything to religion

1 Like

Re: Who Is To Blame For The Rot In Our Education System? by Revolva(m): 1:16pm On Jan 21, 2013
The government should take number one blame !!!! They don't provide enough grants for poor students to go to school and if the nation were to be an organised one - poor students with intelligence will have to take a loan to school but here all the olodo birdbrain folks are in school just they are fortunate
Re: Who Is To Blame For The Rot In Our Education System? by mrborn2fuck(m): 1:17pm On Jan 21, 2013
The whole systems in Nigeria are corrupted. I do not seen any sane sectors, not even those who are enforcing the law. Imagine things like:
Our leaders mostly won election through rigging and even those who lost rig too but the highest rigging party won
Churches are now business centre, hopefully they are incorporated.
Mosques are creating terrorists, which are being sponsored by politicians.
Area Boys (Agbero)are king of the road, collecting everyday taxes from moving vehicle.
Police is your friend but Bail is never free ( Bribery is their daily bread).
6 months in prison for those who steal billions; 6 years in prison for someone who steal goat. Our Judges are corrupted too
Do you think EFCC is sane? I laugh in ABC
People are joining politics for the purpose of embezzlement of money,how do you get to the top if you don't practise corruption and malpractice in the school? You want to end up like Gani Fayemi and not obasanjo and IBB? Have you forgotten malpractice is same as rigging in election? The only different is advance stage

You better start training your children how to malpractise, as this will booster his political ambitious to rig election for himself and you can then teach him stealing-with-pen
Re: Who Is To Blame For The Rot In Our Education System? by Freiburger(m): 1:19pm On Jan 21, 2013
PARENTS.
Re: Who Is To Blame For The Rot In Our Education System? by theplanmaker: 1:20pm On Jan 21, 2013
If d govt becomes more responsible all other factors ll b curbed
Re: Who Is To Blame For The Rot In Our Education System? by TBD(m): 1:23pm On Jan 21, 2013
We are in serious troble in country.
Re: Who Is To Blame For The Rot In Our Education System? by AjanleKoko: 1:23pm On Jan 21, 2013
Hmm.
I would say the leadership. There is a systemic rot of public institutions in Nigeria as a result of perpetual misgovernance. Education is also a victim of this. Though, public education is in decline all over the world, not just in Nigeria. Check out http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/raising-ruckus-elizabeth-witbeck/1113779538, a book I read sometime last year, that talks about the issues with so-called public education.

Also see http://www.dissentmagazine.org/article/from-master-plan-to-no-plan-the-slow-death-of-public-higher-education
http://www.leaderu.com/offices/cleveland/docs/education.html
http://voices.yahoo.com/our-declining-public-schools-whose-fault-it-10575943.html

I think, in most countries, the problems are similar, and borders on under-funding. The whole idea of making education free or subsidized by government is a concept that needs to be looked into. I am not sure it is possible for governments to continue to subsidize education, especially where it relates to science, technology, and medicine. To fund teaching and research in those areas will go beyond mere political posturing.

Yes, we should have some free basic education available to all citizens, but how that pans out to a large population needs to be looked into.

1 Like

Re: Who Is To Blame For The Rot In Our Education System? by Kaxmytex(m): 1:25pm On Jan 21, 2013
Op...if u ask me..na who i go ask

9ja don tire me,make i yahn u d truth
Re: Who Is To Blame For The Rot In Our Education System? by Okijajuju1(m): 1:26pm On Jan 21, 2013
Onyegecha: 1. Teachers in our schools are generally low-grade, poorly motivated, ill-equipped for their sacred duty.

Blame the government for this. Its sort of the same thing in every sector. The Nigerian Police training college comes to mind, I wonder what the Nigerian Teachers college and all other colleges looks like. The government is responsible for their poor training facilty, poor package (pay and benefits) and also eqipping them..

Onyegecha: 2. Exam malpractice has become a culture; the most important friend to students. Even teachers are products and fans of the monster.

Blame corruption, blame poverty and blame the society. Corruption has eaten deep into the hearts of Nigerians and poverty has made it worse. So you have a teacher who is poorly trained, poorly paid and poorly equipped. You have a student who is poorly trained (because his teachers were all poorly trained), who is desparate to pass by all means necessary, who has some money to pay the poor teacher.. Recipe for exam malpractice.

A poorly thaught student will do anything to pass including bribe teachers and mecenaries to write his/her exams.

Onyegecha: 3. WAEC, NECO, JAMB and every other exam body thrives on the proceeds of exam malpractice, yet we have a government in place.

BIG LIE.. How can you say JAMB and co thrive on the proceeds of exam malpractice?! HOW?! So are you saying that its the malpractice money that is use to pay their staff or print the exams?!

Onyegecha: 4. Cult activities blossom in the primary schools right now. All imaginable acts of hooliganism are perpetrated by young children, sometimes under the supervision of one or two shameless teachers.
]

Please stop exaggerating!! There are no cults in Primary schools.. The average primary 5 student (which is like the last class before secondary school for most Nigeriana) is about 9 years old. So how can you say such!! Nna cool down jor!!

Onyegecha: 5. University teachers belittle themselves before their students by selling grades for money or sex. Yet we have establishments that should check the activities of these criminal and abominable lecturers.

[b]ERM!! A child who was poorly thought in Primary school, struggles and passes common entrance (which IMO is not really an examination as I have yet to see a student that failed Common Entrance).. That same student does the same thing until J.S.S 3.. Scales Junior WAEC by hook & crook.. Does same with SSCE.. Does same with JAMB.. Now he oe she is in the University.. Starts 'sorting' and 'blocking' courses.. When the person now happens to be female and beautiful, the lecturer demands sex.. The reason why they sleep with these students is because most times, the lecturers know that these students are not supposed to even be in the univeristy in the first place so they take advantage of them. And the reson why the students agree and dont report is because they know that should the case come up before a senate and she says the lecturer failed her because she wouldnt sleep with him/her, and they reset the examination for her, she will still fail.. So she would rather just fhuck the lecturer and get it over with![/b]

Onyegecha: 6. Books to be recommended for study in schools are selected on the basis of financial gratification and not quality
as Officials of the ministry of education reek of graft.

This is an accusation that I cant substantiate.. I know that the following books have been approved for use in our secondary and primary schools amongst others;

* Brighter Grammar
* Lacombes
* Intensive English
* Understanding Mathematics
* Macmillian Primary English
* New School Chemistry (Ababio Ababio)
* Advanced Level Physics (Nelkon and Parker)
e.t.c

So I dont know what you are talkin about o!!

Onyegecha: 7. Parents connive with corrupt teachers at every level to buy results and certificates for their children.

The parents are only succumbing to the pressures of society.. A father who can only afford public school education for his/her child already knows that the chances of that child passing WAEC after 6 years of public Primary school, 3 years of Public junior school and 3 years of public senior school is very slim.. Yet the society has placed so much emphasis on degree. SO rather than send that child to a technical college to learn some skills, they bribe their wards way into the university.. You cant blame them..

Onyegecha: 8. The government is guilty of criminal negligence. They sit at ease in the government houses and luxurious offices while our future burns..

The government has really failed us indeed

Onyegecha: Concerned parents who can afford it quickly send their children to quality schools abroad or in Nigeria. Is this really the solution we need? Will these privileged children not come back to meet the rot they are running away from? What is the way out? Who is to blame?

These previledged kids come back to run the country.. Problem is they often are very ignorant of the rot!!

2 Likes

Re: Who Is To Blame For The Rot In Our Education System? by Oahray: 1:28pm On Jan 21, 2013
I move the motion to blame GEJ for anything you want to blame on someone, ranging from hunger to heartbreak to your dirty sitting room.
As presido, he understands.
Re: Who Is To Blame For The Rot In Our Education System? by Kaxmytex(m): 1:29pm On Jan 21, 2013
pinky21: Evry1 shares from d blame. Naija is a corrupt country. Al we need is prayers.
u'll agree wit me dat 9ja iz d most religious country in d whole world......wetin do d prayer we don dey pray since al diz yrs o??

1 Like

Re: Who Is To Blame For The Rot In Our Education System? by scorpidmo(m): 1:39pm On Jan 21, 2013
how can u blame a child dat has been taught from an early age that to succeed u don't need 2 be morally upstanding but street smart by cheating your way through everything life throws at you. angry angry
Odunnu: Its a shame on the nation. The Parents, The Child, The Teachers, the Government. We all have huge part to play.

Re: Who Is To Blame For The Rot In Our Education System? by chessguru1(m): 1:40pm On Jan 21, 2013
Blame..una no dey tire? Why apportion blame, when the time used can be better utilized in finding solutions 2 d sector...this thread is a waste of energy as far as am concerned.
www.fatsolution.net
Re: Who Is To Blame For The Rot In Our Education System? by Nobody: 1:49pm On Jan 21, 2013
Three causes:
1. Nigerians
2.Nigerians
3. I say Nigerians again!

2 Likes

Re: Who Is To Blame For The Rot In Our Education System? by pinky21(f): 1:49pm On Jan 21, 2013
Kaxmytex:
u'll agree wit me dat 9ja iz d most religious country in d whole world......wetin do d prayer we don dey pray since al diz yrs o??
I tire my dear. But know dis na naija go church n mosque pass n stil yet witch doctors houses re patronised by dis same church pple to do evil hw d prayer wan tk ansa
Re: Who Is To Blame For The Rot In Our Education System? by RedReact: 1:50pm On Jan 21, 2013
All of us are to blame for this rot our educational system has been experiencing; the child(ren), parents, teachers and the government.
Re: Who Is To Blame For The Rot In Our Education System? by eagleeye2: 1:50pm On Jan 21, 2013
k2039:
Point 8 has the greatest effect on our education system, all your points have contributed to the current state of education in Nigeria.

@op,
Every other point you raised is hinged on point number 8.
First and foremost, our teachers trained in Faculty of Educations in the universities are not poorly trained. But most of the graduate teachers will rather not teach because of poor pay.
I am trained as a teacher and currently working with the ministry of Education in my state.
When we go on routine inspection of schools, you will just feel sorry for Nigeria.
When teachers complain about pay, hear things such as " if you cannot accept the current pay leave as there are a thousand and one jobless youth looking for a job".

As my professor use to say in school, "No nation can rise above the quality of its teachers". Every other profession on earth, benefits from the TEACHER. Treat them well and you will bring out the best in the students.
Re: Who Is To Blame For The Rot In Our Education System? by Nobody: 2:07pm On Jan 21, 2013
We are all to blame. The condition of any society is the aggregate of the people comprising it.

You can't have a rotting limb and a healthy body. Some parts of the society cannot be extremely corrupt and other parts sane.

Pick an average Nigerian off the street and put him in the governor's office...and he will loot like there's no tomorrow. We all have very high tolerance for corruption in all aspects of our national life - that's why it still exists at the current depth.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Which Course/subject Do You Like Most? Why? / Nigerian Law School 2013/2014 Part II, Eligible Applicants Meet Here! / Between Nursing And Medical Laboratory Science

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.