Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,842 members, 7,820,932 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 03:47 AM

Pls I Need Advice On A Mental Patient - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Pls I Need Advice On A Mental Patient (1715 Views)

One In Every Four Nigerian Has Mental Disorder - Dr. Vincent Udenze / I'm A Kidney Patient, 6 Years Post Transplant / My Wife Has A Mental Problem (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pls I Need Advice On A Mental Patient by Henrick007: 4:44pm On Oct 24, 2014
good day all, the patient am talking about is my younger brother, 24 yrs,he hav been ill for lik 4yrs nw. We hav took him to psychiatric hospital yaba lik 5 tyms but the doctor said his issue is not a serious issue so there is no need for him to be admitted, but my main issue is that anytym we take him to the psychriatic hospital his brain wil come back to normal but after lik 2week he wil go bac to smoke weed nd some other drugs. Now am very worried because he is staying with my mother alone nd am very scared he shouldnt hurt my mother. Pls if anybody hav any lasting solution should pls comment on this topic.
Re: Pls I Need Advice On A Mental Patient by Henrick007: 4:51pm On Oct 24, 2014
pls dnt jst view, i need ur comment.
Re: Pls I Need Advice On A Mental Patient by Henrick007: 5:00pm On Oct 24, 2014
dominique, Sissy3, chaircover, pls i need this topic on front page.
Re: Pls I Need Advice On A Mental Patient by Lovetinz(m): 5:29pm On Oct 24, 2014
Cure his drug addiction and his mental problems will be history.

1 Like

Re: Pls I Need Advice On A Mental Patient by Henrick007: 5:42pm On Oct 24, 2014
Lovetinz:
Cure his drug addiction and his mental problems will be history.
we hav tried our best, but he still use dose hard drug. Bt we jst thinking mayb we should take him bac to psychriatic hospital so dey can admit him, bt we not sure if he wil continue to take drug after he is discharged.
Re: Pls I Need Advice On A Mental Patient by mya1: 7:03pm On Oct 24, 2014
What he needs is a rehabilitation centre.. I don't know if there are functional ones where you're based... Since his problem stems from drug misuse that commences only when he uses it, he needs to stop the addiction.

An effective rehab centre should help but the bulk of it still lies with him, he has to be ready to get help.
Drug addiction is a major problem and whilst some are willing to give it up, it's quite difficult for them..
You need to show him lots of love and make him know you want the best for him.
Don't judge him or make him feel worthless, encourage him to give it up- and let the rehab take over from there.

If he eventually does, he'd be prone to relapse so if/when that happens, encourage him and make him realise it's normal.
Continue to encourage him that he can do it and see where it takes him from there.

But like I said, the decision to quit is still left with him.

1 Like

Re: Pls I Need Advice On A Mental Patient by Henrick007: 10:08pm On Oct 24, 2014
mya1:
What he needs is a rehabilitation centre.. I don't know if there are functional ones where you're based... Since his problem stems from drug misuse that commences only when he uses it, he needs to stop the addiction.

An effective rehab centre should help but the bulk of it still lies with him, he has to be ready to get help.
Drug addiction is a major problem and whilst some are willing to give it up, it's quite difficult for them..
You need to show him lots of love and make him know you want the best for him.
Don't judge him or make him feel worthless, encourage him to give it up- and let the rehab take over from there.

If he eventually does, he'd be prone to relapse so if/when that happens, encourage him and make him realise it's normal.
Continue to encourage him that he can do it and see where it takes him from there.

But like I said, the decision to quit is still left with him.
thnks i really appreciate ur comment, i hope he take a decision to quit taking drug. The rehabilitation centre u talkin about, is it still the same as psychriatic hospital?.
Re: Pls I Need Advice On A Mental Patient by mya1: 10:57pm On Oct 24, 2014
Not exactly, though some psych hospitals offer rehab programmes... It's usually a drop in centre as opposed to hospitals and their mode of treatment is mostly psychotherapy including CBT , IPT and counselling etc.. The link below could be helpful.

https://www.nairaland.com/115256/there-drup-rehab-center-nigeria
Re: Pls I Need Advice On A Mental Patient by femu(m): 9:42pm On Oct 26, 2014
Henrick007:
good day all, the patient am talking about is my younger brother, 24 yrs,he hav been ill for lik 4yrs nw. We hav took him to psychiatric hospital yaba lik 5 tyms but the doctor said his issue is not a serious issue so there is no need for him to be admitted, but my main issue is that anytym we take him to the psychriatic hospital his brain wil come back to normal but after lik 2week he wil go bac to smoke weed nd some other drugs. Now am very worried because he is staying with my mother alone nd am very scared he shouldnt hurt my mother. Pls if anybody hav any lasting solution should pls comment on this topic.

Sorry bro, i can introduce you to a private and standard Drug and Alcohol rehab center/hospital with qualified professionals.
call 08034209301 for an appointment.
Re: Pls I Need Advice On A Mental Patient by Nobody: 1:36am On Oct 27, 2014
Hi there, sorry about your predicament with your younger brother, I know that must be stressful for you. Since he seems to "get better" every time he's faced with the psychiatric hospital, I'll suggest an intervention. I'll explain further

An intervention is a psychological exercise that involves the close friends and family of the troubled party(your brother) coming together in a circle to have a heart felt conversation with him.

For the intervention to be successful, he has to know that he is loved unconditionally by everyone sitting with him, you all tell him how much his way of life has pierced a dagger through your hearts. Please don't yell or insult him, let each person have his/her chance to speak but must do so with tender words.

No judging, criticizing or condemning him, just pure undiluted love from all of you. A successful intervention usually ends in tears and a group hug. Sometimes what someone like that needs is just to know that they matter and mean something, people don't just fall off the cliff like that.

I believe in solving problems at the root, let him know he's loved, best of luck smiley
Re: Pls I Need Advice On A Mental Patient by Henrick007: 2:31pm On Oct 28, 2014
xcelsia:
Hi there, sorry about your predicament with your younger brother, I know that must be stressful for you. Since he seems to "get better" every time he's faced with the psychiatric hospital, I'll suggest an intervention. I'll explain further

An intervention is a psychological exercise that involves the close friends and family of the troubled party(your brother) coming together in a circle to have a heart felt conversation with him.

For the intervention to be successful, he has to know that he is loved unconditionally by everyone sitting with him, you all tell him how much his way of life has pierced a dagger through your hearts. Please don't yell or insult him, let each person have his/her chance to speak but must do so with tender words.

No judging, criticizing or condemning him, just pure undiluted love from all of you. A successful intervention usually ends in tears and a group hug. Sometimes what someone like that needs is just to know that they matter and mean something, people don't just fall off the cliff like that.

I believe in solving problems at the root, let him know he's loved, best of luck smiley
thnks alot, i really appreciate ur advice.
Re: Pls I Need Advice On A Mental Patient by Nobody: 2:37pm On Oct 28, 2014
Henrick007:
thnks alot, i really appreciate ur advice.
Awesome!! Hope you try it out and you're welcome smiley
Re: Pls I Need Advice On A Mental Patient by donpy(m): 8:53am On Oct 29, 2014
Hello bro...While you intend taking him to a rehab center and talking to him also try to give him Trevo..one ounce in d morning nd one at night it could be dat he has lost his mental focus so evn if he wnts to stop he wuldnt..had a patient who cried dat he wntd to stop drug addiction but he culdnt not only bcus itwas an addiction buh was bcus of his lost of mental focus..Try Trevo evn alongside wit d rehab..contact me on 08166070590,09093200039

(1) (Reply)

Treating And Understanding Your Acne/pimples / Hormone Imbalance – 3 Simple Tips To Balance Your Hormone Naturally / Conditions That Can Affect A Woman's Menstruation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.