Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,198 members, 7,818,661 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:08 PM

About Lassa Fever - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / About Lassa Fever (1079 Views)

How To Prevent Lassa Fever In Picture / What To Know And How To Protect Yourself And Our Community From Lassa Fever / New Outbreak Of Lassa Fever In Oyo State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

About Lassa Fever by jmoore(m): 8:59pm On Oct 25, 2014

Lassa fever is an acute viral illness that occurs in west Africa. The illness was discovered in 1969 when two missionary nurses died in Nigeria. The virus is named after the town in Nigeria where the first cases occurred. The virus, a member of the virus family Arenaviridae, is a single-stranded RNA virus and is zoonotic, or animal-borne.
Lassa fever is endemic in parts of west Africa including Sierra Leone, Liberia, Guinea and Nigeria; however, other neighboring countries are also at risk, as the animal vector for Lassa virus, the "multimammate rat" (Mastomys natalensis) is distributed throughout the region. In 2009, the first case from Mali was reported in a traveler living in southern Mali; Ghana reported its first cases in late 2011. Isolated cases have also been reported in Côte d’Ivoire and Burkina Faso and there is serologic evidence of Lassa virus infection in Togo and Benin.
The number of Lassa virus infections per year in west Africa is estimated at 100,000 to 300,000, with approximately 5,000 deaths. Unfortunately, such estimates are crude, because surveillance for cases of the disease is not uniformly performed. In some areas of Sierra Leone and Liberia, it is known that 10%-16% of people admitted to hospitals every year have Lassa fever, which indicates the serious impact of the disease on the population of this region.

Transmission
The reservoir, or host, of Lassa virus is a rodent known as the "multimammate rat" (Mastomys natalensis). Once infected, this rodent is able to excrete virus in urine for an extended time period, maybe for the rest of its life. Mastomys rodents breed frequently, produce large numbers of offspring, and are numerous in the savannas and forests of west, central, and east Africa. In addition, Mastomys readily colonize human homes and areas where food is stored. All of these factors contribute to the relatively efficient spread of Lassa virus from infected rodents to humans.
Transmission of Lassa virus to humans occurs most commonly through ingestion or inhalation. Mastomys rodents shed the virus in urine and droppings and direct contact with these materials, through touching soiled objects, eating contaminated food, or exposure to open cuts or sores, can lead to infection.
Because Mastomys rodents often live in and around homes and scavenge on leftover human food items or poorly stored food, direct contact transmission is common. Mastomys rodents are sometimes consumed as a food source and infection may occur when rodents are caught and prepared. Contact with the virus may also occur when a person inhales tiny particles in the air contaminated with infected rodent excretions. This aerosol or airborne transmission may occur during cleaning activities, such as sweeping.
Direct contact with infected rodents is not the only way in which people are infected; person-to-person transmission may occur after exposure to virus in the blood, tissue, secretions, or excretions of a Lassa virus-infected individual. Casual contact (including skin-to-skin contact without exchange of body fluids) does not spread Lassa virus. Person-to-person transmission is common in health care settings (called nosocomial transmission) where proper personal protective equipment (PPE) is not available or not used. Lassa virus may be spread in contaminated medical equipment, such as reused needles.

Diagnosis
Lassa fever is most often diagnosed by using enzyme-linked immunosorbent serologic assays (ELISA), which detect IgM and IgG antibodies as well as Lassa antigen. Reverse transcription-polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR) can be used in the early stage of disease. The virus itself may be cultured in 7 to 10 days, but this procedure should only be done in a high containment laboratory with good laboratory practices. Immunohistochemistry, performed on formalin-fixed tissue specimens, can be used to make a post-mortem diagnosis.

Signs and symptoms
Signs and symptoms of Lassa fever typically occur 1-3 weeks after the patient comes into contact with the virus. For the majority of Lassa fever virus infections (approximately 80%), symptoms are mild and are undiagnosed. Mild symptoms include slight fever, general malaise and weakness, and headache. In 20% of infected individuals, however, disease may progress to more serious symptoms including hemorrhaging (in gums, eyes, or nose, as examples), respiratory distress, repeated vomiting, facial swelling, pain in the chest, back, and abdomen, and shock. Neurological problems have also been described, including hearing loss, tremors, and encephalitis. Death may occur within two weeks after symptom onset due to multi-organ failure.

The most common complication of Lassa fever is deafness. Various degrees of deafness occur in approximately one-third of infections, and in many cases hearing loss is permanent. As far as is known, severity of the disease does not affect this complication: deafness may develop in mild as well as in severe cases.
Approximately 15%-20% of patients hospitalized for Lassa fever die from the illness. However, only 1% of all Lassa virus infections result in death. The death rates for women in the third trimester of pregnancy are particularly high. Spontaneous abortion is a serious complication of infection with an estimated 95% mortality in fetuses of infected pregnant mothers.
Because the symptoms of Lassa fever are so varied and nonspecific, clinical diagnosis is often difficult. Lassa fever is also associated with occasional epidemics, during which the case-fatality rate can reach 50% in hospitalized patients.

Treatment
Ribavirin, an antiviral drug, has been used with success in Lassa fever patients. It has been shown to be most effective when given early in the course of the illness. Patients should also receive supportive care consisting of maintenance of appropriate fluid and electrolyte balance, oxygenation and blood pressure, as well as treatment of any other complicating infections.

Source>> http://www.cdc.gov/vhf/lassa/index.html
Re: About Lassa Fever by adonbilivit: 9:25pm On Oct 25, 2014
seun, mukina2 please enlighten the public on this. frontpage please. let us fight this illness with all seriousness
Re: About Lassa Fever by ayo4dworld(m): 9:52pm On Oct 25, 2014
God help us, save us from all this killer disease.
Re: About Lassa Fever by Liamm(m): 9:54pm On Oct 25, 2014
adonbilivit:
seun, mukina2 please enlighten the public on this. frontpage please. let us fight this illness with all seriousness
inform me when it hits fp
Re: About Lassa Fever by adonbilivit: 10:01pm On Oct 25, 2014
Liamm:
inform me when it hits fp
i be like minister of information of nairaland for your screen?
Re: About Lassa Fever by Liamm(m): 10:05pm On Oct 25, 2014
adonbilivit:
i be like minister of information of nairaland for your screen?
na beg me i dey beg
Re: About Lassa Fever by Mologi(m): 10:07pm On Oct 25, 2014
God....Are we(w Africans) this sinful.....

All this grammar the poster saying...means

WE WILL ALL DIE PREMATURELY IF CARE IS NOT TAKEN
Re: About Lassa Fever by adonbilivit: 10:11pm On Oct 25, 2014
Liamm:
na beg me i dey beg
i hear you. i go holla you if i dey online when e hit fp. but wait o, hope say you be teal madrid fan
Re: About Lassa Fever by Liamm(m): 10:23pm On Oct 25, 2014
adonbilivit:
i hear you. i go holla you if i dey online when e hit fp. but wait o, hope say you be teal madrid fan
I Rep the BLUES cheesy.
Re: About Lassa Fever by adonbilivit: 10:34pm On Oct 25, 2014
Liamm:
I Rep the BLUES cheesy.
kk. blue na my fav colour. i go holla u
Re: About Lassa Fever by Piloeternity(m): 4:30pm On Oct 26, 2014
Thanks for this great info...... Its helpful to those who are lazy to find out what it means
Re: About Lassa Fever by itstpia8: 11:30pm On Dec 04, 2015
Re: About Lassa Fever by joeyarticles: 8:28am On Jan 14, 2016
The speed this lessa disease is spreading in Nigeria is very alarming. 11 states already, government should handle it the same way they did ebola virus...................
http://www.prestnaija.com/things-to-know-about-the-deadly-lassa-fever-as-it-continues-to-spreads/

(1) (Reply)

Can Excercise Really Cause Weight Loss. / All About Contraception / Help Me With My Eyes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.