Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,942 members, 7,817,765 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:57 PM

FG To Ban Commercial Motorcycles Nationwide - Nairaland / General (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / FG To Ban Commercial Motorcycles Nationwide (45476 Views)

FG To Take Over Expansion Of Lagos- Badagry Express Way / FG To Cancel Fixed Electricity Charge – BPE / FG To Purchase New Aircraft At Low Interest Rate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FG To Ban Commercial Motorcycles Nationwide by felifeli: 2:51pm On Oct 26, 2014
etunoman76:
The use of motorcycles as commercial means of transport in Nigeria, popularly known as ‘Okada’ or ‘Achaba’ may soon be banned throughout the country.

The proposal for the ban was made by the National Council on Transport after its annual conference in Enugu State and endorsed by the Minister of Transport, Sen. Idris Umar.

A statement from the Federal Ministry of Transport on Saturday evening stated that the ban of commercial motorcycle was one of the measures proposed towards adequate provision of safety and secure transportation in Nigeria.

It said the recommendation was contained in a statement of the week long meeting which had in attendance all the state commissioners of transport, permanent secretaries, directors and officials in the federal and state ministries of transport across the country.

The council advised all states in the federation to henceforth discourage the use of commercial motorcycles as a means of public transportation.

“All states and the Federal Capital Territory have therefore been advised to establish a public transport system that ensure strict regulation of the operation of public passenger transportation system through a well-articulated management system for enhanced safety, security, effective and efficient service delivery,” the statement said.

It added, “The states are to also develop master plans for the development of intelligent transport system to facilitate the development and management of their transport operations in line with emerging trends and global best practices.”

The statement noted that the council also agreed that all commercial vehicles should be properly registered in each state while their enumeration should be carried out periodically to enhance safety and security.

http://www.punchng.com/news/fg-to-ban-commercial-motorcycles-nationwide/

Good news !! They are a bloody nuisance on the road and they contribute to diseases caused by laziness. You nowadays find children taking okada for a distance of only 100 yards instead of walking. You find a family of 6 riding on one okada !! Get rid of them all.
Re: FG To Ban Commercial Motorcycles Nationwide by Austin234(m): 3:03pm On Oct 26, 2014
Allow this okada riders to be please. Almost all states has banned them from state capital. Why not allow them to operate in the surbub or heather land. There should be human face in every national issue. Remember, most of them started okada because of frustration of job or have ran out of capital for business or as a last resort hope for survival
Re: FG To Ban Commercial Motorcycles Nationwide by beanos(m): 3:05pm On Oct 26, 2014
etunoman76:
The use of motorcycles as commercial means of transport in Nigeria, popularly known as ‘Okada’ or ‘Achaba’ may soon be banned throughout the country.

The proposal for the ban was made by the National Council on Transport after its annual conference in Enugu State and endorsed by the Minister of Transport, Sen. Idris Umar.

A statement from the Federal Ministry of Transport on Saturday evening stated that the ban of commercial motorcycle was one of the measures proposed towards adequate provision of safety and secure transportation in Nigeria.

It said the recommendation was contained in a statement of the week long meeting which had in attendance all the state commissioners of transport, permanent secretaries, directors and officials in the federal and state ministries of transport across the country.

The council advised all states in the federation to henceforth discourage the use of commercial motorcycles as a means of public transportation.

“All states and the Federal Capital Territory have therefore been advised to establish a public transport system that ensure strict regulation of the operation of public passenger transportation system through a well-articulated management system for enhanced safety, security, effective and efficient service delivery,” the statement said.

It added, “The states are to also develop master plans for the development of intelligent transport system to facilitate the development and management of their transport operations in line with emerging trends and global best practices.”

The statement noted that the council also agreed that all commercial vehicles should be properly registered in each state while their enumeration should be carried out perio
dically to enhance safety and security.

http://www.punchng.com/news/fg-to-ban-commercial-motorcycles-nationwide/

The brain box is bad. Needs replacement. (wicked and unreasonable government adviser's)

1 Like

Re: FG To Ban Commercial Motorcycles Nationwide by samuelemuobosa: 3:14pm On Oct 26, 2014
modified #

is ocada d problem of the country ?
Re: FG To Ban Commercial Motorcycles Nationwide by spikerose: 3:54pm On Oct 26, 2014
there is need for Nigeria to be decent
if we want to become like America, we need to start making strong and though decisions like this

1 Like

Re: FG To Ban Commercial Motorcycles Nationwide by Ab4all(m): 3:59pm On Oct 26, 2014
stinggy:
As much as I believe okadas should be banned, my fear is 'We are not there yet'. No alternatives for now. I think there should be reliable loan scheme(at all levels of government) for youths to acquire cheap taxis so as to support livelihood since jobs aren't forthcoming, we can introduce tricycles as they are safer, but more importantly, roads should be fixed.

And this is how I think this will go:

After the ban on Okada riders, a means that gives about 1.2 million people job, this FG will then provide three 48-sitter buses to each state, after this, GEJ will go on air to announce to the world that he has given 2.5 million people job...
And that's what they call 'Fresh Air'

why not put all the necessary systems in place first before banning this means of transportation. Remember an idle mind is d devils workshop and when hungry one become angry. I wonder the volume of crime that might lead to if proper and fair substitute is not provided before banning it.

1 Like

Re: FG To Ban Commercial Motorcycles Nationwide by emerem: 4:21pm On Oct 26, 2014
Wonders shall never end. Why ban Ocada? If on the grounds for security, is it deadlier than trucks and trailers? This people want to drag GEJ down. If by any means he announces this, believe me he won't get the massive supposed support come 2015. Many of us here are saying govt should provide job for ocadas without remembering that most of these guys are not educated and can only fit in where they are. An average ocada man takes home 4 to 5k daily. Some of them are students who pay their bills therein, some have elderly parents as benefactors of his ocada business. If GEJ endorses this, he will not like the outcome as I know these guys make up the majority campaign lead any politician wouldn't like to toy with if he must be mandated. Irritate ocada guys, and irrigate your public ambition. I have heard them say so. You need to be with these guys to know what and how they relate. They have a kind of network that starts with their chairman. They only need a simple directive from their chairman, before you know it they have started acting thus. Most of them have little or no education to integrate actions all they need is a little instigation to burst. Please GEJ, look at many issues before endorsing this as it needs tender attention.

1 Like

Re: FG To Ban Commercial Motorcycles Nationwide by Nobody: 4:24pm On Oct 26, 2014
[size=22pt]If becoming like America means making millions unemployed, then we do not want to be like America.

This sounds like they type of ruinous advice America's IMF and World Bank would give to African governments to help destroy Africa.[/size]
spikerose:
there is need for Nigeria to be decent
if we want to become like America, we need to start making strong and though decisions like this

1 Like

Re: FG To Ban Commercial Motorcycles Nationwide by Jhayeahsam01(m): 4:35pm On Oct 26, 2014
ban okada and handed over to us a gun.....

be like say fg dey craze...
Re: FG To Ban Commercial Motorcycles Nationwide by Nobody: 4:52pm On Oct 26, 2014
Ban? This is a no go area
Re: FG To Ban Commercial Motorcycles Nationwide by aspirebig: 4:58pm On Oct 26, 2014
This is simply impossible. Mark my words, it is not possible, NEVER.

They can ban okadas in the cities, even the major cities, only few highways .
Re: FG To Ban Commercial Motorcycles Nationwide by knowledge4(m): 5:17pm On Oct 26, 2014
I see reason with the intention because the commercial motorcycle transport is a total nuisance and threat to life on the streets everywhere
The motorcyclists are unruly and ride with total disregard for traffic rules and the life of the passengers they carry.

Nevertheless, they are useful in some respects, carrying passengers to places where taxi cabs and commercial buses do not reach and on time too as they are rarely held up in traffic. They come handy where commercial buses are inadequate.It is also a means of employment for the riders too. Some of them are university graduates.

However, the states and the federal government should put in place a workable alternative transport system for the populace before implementing the ban. And also put in place an alternative employment scheme for the commercial riders who will be displaced from their means of livelihood.

For example, I heard from someone that Imo State Government gave the 3cycle known in Lagos as Keke Marwa or Keke Napep to people who can deposit a minimum N150,000.00 as their contribution. The 3 cycle costs about N350,000.00 which meant the government subsidized for N200,000.00 or more. The 3cycle is the approved means of transportation in Imo State as the motorcycle taxi has been banned completely. If this is true, how many state governments can do that to give employment to displaced riders?

To implement the ban without workable alternatives may do more damage than the good intended to be derived.It would have been easier if we have a rail mass transit system in the cities or bus transit system. The BRT system in Lagos does not cover everywhere in Lagos.The commercial bikes still bridge the gap though banned from about 490 roads and highways.
Re: FG To Ban Commercial Motorcycles Nationwide by kemsy100(m): 5:41pm On Oct 26, 2014
legalwealth:
What do they want them to be using to feed their family?
This is a bad step!
I wonder
Re: FG To Ban Commercial Motorcycles Nationwide by kemsy100(m): 5:42pm On Oct 26, 2014
legalwealth:
What do they want them to be using to feed their family?
This is a bad step!
I wonder o
Re: FG To Ban Commercial Motorcycles Nationwide by authority2006(m): 6:17pm On Oct 26, 2014
FG, please don't ban Okada as a means of transport for now because I've invested so much in this business o. Please o.
Re: FG To Ban Commercial Motorcycles Nationwide by Elder55: 8:04pm On Oct 26, 2014
A ban on OKADA in Nigeria will spell doom because so many people depend on it for survival because of Unemploment issue. An attempt to effect the ban will lead to unprecedented social vices like house breaking, robbery, human trafficking,kidnapping and generally insecurity to lives and properties. The President should prevail on the Minister of Transport to maintain status quo and shelve the policy to allow peace to reign.A word is enough for the wise.
Re: FG To Ban Commercial Motorcycles Nationwide by IbnuUche(m): 8:33pm On Oct 26, 2014
silly idea , not even talking of insecurity, good road , uninterupted power supply ,better education / agricultural production, affordable & accessible health care for all etc. just banning without alternative.trying to creat more problem than solving the existing one, dumpard government since 1999.
Re: FG To Ban Commercial Motorcycles Nationwide by Franky9584(m): 10:13pm On Oct 26, 2014
Social vices wil b on d increase. . .anyway wetin concern me shebi na una dem go dey kidnap!
Re: FG To Ban Commercial Motorcycles Nationwide by raphy(m): 10:22pm On Oct 26, 2014
what is happening now ,are the govment not the ones that said they should be wearing there helmet?wht are they saying now ..they better provide keke marwa fo all of them before the ban.cuz baboon cant be eating then the monkeys are begging.and also they help someone get to a destination faster than these keke.
only God knows wht the lawmakers really want.
Re: FG To Ban Commercial Motorcycles Nationwide by HEART1234: 10:32pm On Oct 26, 2014
My submission on this- if the motive behind the implementation will be put in place it would have been better but we are in a nation where law are enacted without good use and following by context/order appropriately. The idea would have been embraced & welcome by nigerians but we all know afterward the outcome/consequence will not pay off. The adverse effect of the ban will outweight the initial purpose of the ban. Okada business is an avenue through which most nigeria populace sustain and find livehood for themselves. The self empowerment our government has been alarming to our hearing is not viable,it is still a lip-say by our govt. The transport conglomerate and govt are expected to look into d advantage and disadvantage this ban will bring and review it wit neccessary,quick intervention. The means of survival by unemployed graduate,artisans without power supply to exhibit their activities shouldnt be what any agency or organisation hinder. We all know how hazardous the accident of okada is,but if for any reason okada will be scrapped in nigeria there must be tangible and effective measure that will be put in place to be alternative, instead of putting citizen in penury.GOD BLESS NIGERIA
Re: FG To Ban Commercial Motorcycles Nationwide by mechanics(m): 10:49pm On Oct 26, 2014
Nawa o, dey want to suffer d masses d more, instead of dem to discuss abt job opportunities dat road transport could contribute 4 d jobless youths, dey want to add further to level of joblessness to d society, dey shud think twice.
Re: FG To Ban Commercial Motorcycles Nationwide by skyeboy98(m): 2:11am On Oct 27, 2014
[b][/b]it a very very good ideal but if my father ask me not eat from the rice he kept in the comboard I think he must have put another rice or eba on top of the comboard for me to eat if not that law can't work, this gov are just looking for rebels,immaging how many okada riders we have in that country? Hmm wahala dey ooo
Re: FG To Ban Commercial Motorcycles Nationwide by ProfvickyCT(m): 7:06am On Oct 27, 2014
Let them ban it... It's now that FG will know how desperate Nigerian youths could be.

Apart from the people using this same source to feed their family after graduating for so many years without employment.. It aids fast movement to where you're going to.

See how businesses are now in some parts where this banning already taken place.

Robbery and Kidnapping season 2 ... ** Watch Out **.
Re: FG To Ban Commercial Motorcycles Nationwide by abacrested(f): 9:32am On Oct 27, 2014
Not a bad idea but should be fine with states with good roads, because some states have very bad road network that motorcycles remains the only means of transport. I think federal government should ban bad roads in Nigeria. A lot needs to be done, but I believe gradually we will get there. Nice policy but not now
Re: FG To Ban Commercial Motorcycles Nationwide by MrKevinBig(m): 10:03am On Oct 27, 2014
stinggy:
As much as I believe okadas should be banned, my fear is 'We are not there yet'. No alternatives for now. I think there should be reliable loan scheme(at all levels of government) for youths to acquire cheap taxis so as to support livelihood since jobs aren't forthcoming, we can introduce tricycles as they are safer, but more importantly, roads should be fixed.

And this is how I think this will go:

After the ban on Okada riders, a means that gives about 1.2 million people job, this FG will then provide three 48-sitter buses to each state, after this, GEJ will go on air to announce to the world that he has given 2.5 million people job...
And that's what they call 'Fresh Air'

its apaulinig the kind o jobs our FG creates, the other Okonjo said the ve created over a million jobs and guess what theses jobs are; TICKET VENDORS for BRT buses and taxi drivers. These are the the jobs.
Re: FG To Ban Commercial Motorcycles Nationwide by okefunsho41(m): 10:07am On Oct 27, 2014
Police should be ready for real work after the ban of OKADA
Re: FG To Ban Commercial Motorcycles Nationwide by MrKevinBig(m): 10:11am On Oct 27, 2014
timi4mayo:
Dey shuld cum nd ban it lemme c na, nonsense pple.., it will get to a stage wen poverty is to its prime den d poor wuld start eatin d rich.
Cos i knw d poor are much more dann d rich.:.................@timmy
na HIV, cancer, stroke, hypertension name it, na bigmen disease be that o! Just imagine sey with Ur poverty u cum get all those disease
Re: FG To Ban Commercial Motorcycles Nationwide by achi4u(m): 10:21am On Oct 27, 2014
yehmi01:
Looking at it from an angle its a welcomed development. But to be realistic it is not a wise move to make right now. Where would they all turn to after you take food away

from them. What are the reasonable alternatives that the same Government have put in place before embarking on this.

Let Us not Implement Policies that we know will back fire in another way.

Besides Am sure those ridiculous policemen cant wait to start acting like VAMPIRES now once they see okada.

Also if the governments main point for banning it is because of safety, Then lets be honest Lots of sectors in this country needs to be taken out as well Including this INCOMPETENCE government as well.
good point,let dem try am and see fire in this country.
Re: FG To Ban Commercial Motorcycles Nationwide by blessedapple: 11:15am On Oct 27, 2014
Please my people, why not ban Keke and leave motorcycle.
That thing is more dangerous than the former (personal view)
Re: FG To Ban Commercial Motorcycles Nationwide by JuanDeDios: 3:32pm On Oct 27, 2014
pro01:

Should this not be in place FIRST before making any attempt to ban okadas? Why put the cart before the horse? In fact, will okadas not die a natural death (without the need for an outright ban) if the various state governments implement "intelligent" and efficient transport systems?

Exactly.

In my view the widespread use of motorcycles for commercial public transportation is neither good nor desirable. But banning okada in the face of the present realities makes no sense. Fashola and the other copy-cat governors were simply insensitive. In a sane system he would complete his “blue line” and put in place functional bus and taxi systems first. I guess everyone wants to be “action governor” before anything else. Oshiomhole even banned tricycles! I’ve seen list of achievements reeled out by governors and many of them actually list the banning of okada as a prominent achievement.
Re: FG To Ban Commercial Motorcycles Nationwide by cupidhero(m): 6:53pm On Oct 27, 2014
ban okada 4 what? do you know how many people okada employed....make una ban things like big money in politics and political adverts. leave okadamen alone!!

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Trailer Load Of Jonathan/sambo Rice Involved In Accident / What Is Wrong With This Picture / Good Old Days( Pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.