Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,763 members, 7,824,189 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:50 AM

WYSIWYG Editors Versus Text Editors - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / WYSIWYG Editors Versus Text Editors (2968 Views)

Poll: WYSIWYG Editors Versus Text Editors

WYSIWYG: 40% (4 votes)
Text: 60% (6 votes)
This poll has ended

Beginner's HTML Tutorial 3 - Text Editors / Lets Design A Website Like Quickteller.com Prototype With WYSIWYG (tutorial) / Text Editors Vs Wysiwyg (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

WYSIWYG Editors Versus Text Editors by tweb1: 1:08pm On Nov 17, 2008
WYSIWYGs or NOTE PAD
1. Which do you think is best to use?
2. Which do you use?
3. Why do you choose it? (reasons)

All your responses will be greatly appreciated.

Cast in your vote by word now, 

Its an opinion poll.
Re: WYSIWYG Editors Versus Text Editors by yawatide(f): 3:35pm On Nov 17, 2008
1) WYSIWYG, but only after you have learned how to code without one, ala notepad
2) Homesite
3) As close to notepad as you can get, doesn't bloat your pages with unnecessary code.
Re: WYSIWYG Editors Versus Text Editors by kehers(m): 5:44pm On Nov 17, 2008
1. WYSIWG - but in code mode. Would av even taking notepad except for its lack of syntax coloring and indentation. If u'd say WYSIWYG and another editor like editPlus, then I'd choose editPlus. WYSIWYG apps add junk codes to work. By the way Im assuming wat u mean by WYSIWYG are d Dreamweaver, frontpage and co
2. EditPlus
3. Syntax coloring (for over 10 languages), indentation, line and column numbering, Go to Line, Regular expression Find and Replace, and a whole bunch of others.
Re: WYSIWYG Editors Versus Text Editors by tweb1: 7:53pm On Nov 17, 2008
This is what i mean:
NOTEPAD, EDIT +, NOTEPAD++, and any other text editor fall into one catigory. which is under hand coding.

WYSIWYGs are apllications such as FrontPage and Dreamweaver.

So which do you choose
Re: WYSIWYG Editors Versus Text Editors by yawatide(f): 8:36pm On Nov 17, 2008
t-web allow me, if i may, to punch a whole in your premise:

A WYSIWYG doesn't necessarily mean FP or DW. It means anything other than Notepad (or its "siblings"wink as in any tool that offers more than notepad would with respect to making your coding life "easier (I put this in quotes because it doesn't necesarily do so)" as they provide a "design mode" of some sorts that enables you to see what you get, based on you either using your mouse to drag things here and there or based on the code you typed.

If you still insist on your question though, I am afraid I go with the "notepad suite". Why? cos it gives me more control over my code.
Re: WYSIWYG Editors Versus Text Editors by DualCore1: 7:59am On Nov 18, 2008
I use both. But me in my world of CS4 with all d spry effects and other wow extensions is a zillion times berra than a text pad or editor.
If its an entire site, i'll use d IDE. If i wonno edit stuff, a simple text editor will do.
I am not an advocate of tht use-notepad-to-learn thingy. The IDEs have code views so wht d heck. I'll prefer to see a chap spend a month learnin to use an IDE, thereby seeing how d code at d backend works than see a chap spend d same one month on a pad learning html nd its tag structure and another month or so learnin to use an IDE. Hey its the RAD era, no time for time wasting, lolz.
Re: WYSIWYG Editors Versus Text Editors by yawatide(f): 9:31am On Nov 18, 2008
Dual,

Same argument could be made with respect to how kids learn alphabets. We could immediately put them on a computer cos we are in the computer age but we don't. We teach them the same song we had been brought up on and probably the same song our parents were brought up on.

I guess my point is, and I say this based on many YIM chats with many on this forum, ppl learn diferently and may not even have access to certain resources and so it often helps to learn and appreciate the basics.

You can still do agile development with notepad you know, not that I am advocating that you do wink
Re: WYSIWYG Editors Versus Text Editors by OmniPotens(m): 9:44am On Nov 18, 2008
Gone are the era of killing yourself with much codings. It's better to make life easier, doing the same piece of work that will cost 5 hours in an hour. To this end, I prefer to use a WYSIWYG. I can make use of notepad though but that is when I'm not too tied up and want to take absolute control of everything the way I want it. Notepad na baba ooo  grin
Re: WYSIWYG Editors Versus Text Editors by yawatide(f): 10:36am On Nov 18, 2008
omni,

look at it this way - no one is saying you should push your car to work. That would be insane but if your car breaks down on you and there is no one nearby to help, you should know enough to at least try to push your car to the side of the road by yourself and if possible, do some spot checks (battery terminals, etc) before screaming bloody mary mother of God tongue
Re: WYSIWYG Editors Versus Text Editors by kehers(m): 11:29am On Nov 18, 2008
Its not like im tryg to advocate notepad nd u dishing ur WYSIWYG apps. But personally, notepad is d way to go - probably coz im an xtreme coder. Evn wt (x)Html, just y should I use a WYSIWYG app wen I can easily set my layouts nd divs nd style dem in Css in notepad - wt FF there to do d prevw.
If WYSIWYG is ur way, av fun. But den b wel grounded in (x)html as it wil save u some headaches. And if u are just venturing into web designg, go d notepad way first. Wen u are a pro, den u can switch to WYSIWYG.
By d way, by notepad, i mean text editors like notepad itself, editplus, notepad++ and co.
Re: WYSIWYG Editors Versus Text Editors by yawatide(f): 12:27pm On Nov 18, 2008
I have finally met a man after my own heart in kehers. Where were you 6 yrs ago? cool
Re: WYSIWYG Editors Versus Text Editors by syvanet(m): 12:47pm On Nov 18, 2008
what is Wysiwyg ? Please explanin to me i use notepad i can wait to shift to Wysiwyg
Re: WYSIWYG Editors Versus Text Editors by yawatide(f): 1:10pm On Nov 18, 2008
WYSIWYG = What You See Is What You Get and this refers to tools that enable you to "draw" for instance a table as opposed to hand-coding via say, notepad. So the "What YOu See" part refers to how what you see (what you have drawn) is what you will get code-wise when you view what you have "drawn" in code view. So if you draw a 10 column by 2 row table, that is what you will see when you pull up the site/look at the underlying code. Kind of like "Garbage In Garbage OUt" with respect to programming.
Re: WYSIWYG Editors Versus Text Editors by smartsoft(m): 1:19pm On Nov 18, 2008
As omni said, i will like to  be in control of what i'm working on, firstly i started with Notepad and when i got to see the WYSIWYG thing i have no choice than to drop the use of notepad, even those guys who brag about Notepad thing that you read their biography online can't tell me they don't have the WYSIWYG on their PC

Start looking for job and tell them you only know Notepad and see if they will take you even if you have the PHD. Degree. if you don't know WYSIWYG no job for you man, especially if they want you to put a site in less than 1hour, are you going to say Notepad is the best ? na wa u ooooooooooo
Re: WYSIWYG Editors Versus Text Editors by Mustay(m): 7:50pm On Nov 18, 2008
This topic has been treated before now!

And we all know yawa's stance wetin be d thread name sef yawa?

why man go kill himself with lantern when bulb dey on light?
Re: WYSIWYG Editors Versus Text Editors by tweb1: 8:30pm On Nov 18, 2008
@Mustay
  If the thread still exist why not point us to it with a link,  tongue tongue
  if not, then let the opinion poll continue,  cool cool
Re: WYSIWYG Editors Versus Text Editors by Mustay(m): 8:33pm On Nov 18, 2008
I can't remember the title.

Yawa should.
Re: WYSIWYG Editors Versus Text Editors by tweb1: 8:44pm On Nov 18, 2008
Why not go thru the thread and check,
may be its old and has been removed,
Re: WYSIWYG Editors Versus Text Editors by yawatide(f): 12:37am On Nov 19, 2008
Mustay, you really have faith in me tongue

As per u get 9000+ posts, I say you know about the old topic than I do wink
Re: WYSIWYG Editors Versus Text Editors by Nobody: 4:04am On Nov 19, 2008
You have to learn how to code first with notepad or else you will be writing bloated codes that work but slow down your site. I use only notepad. I am obsessed with making sure whatever I do, I keep it as tight as possible and make sure it validates. I can never advise a beginner to use anything but notepad. What happens if someone tells you they have a problem, and all they have for you to work with is notepad? A true pro will have no problem using just notepad to fix the problem.
Re: WYSIWYG Editors Versus Text Editors by tweb1: 9:55am On Nov 19, 2008
Yes Yes Yes cool cool
Note pad always good to start with as a beginners,
I very much agree  with that,
It aren't good to start off  being lazy using WYSIWYGs.
You may use them as a pro when you have lots of work to do in future.
Re: WYSIWYG Editors Versus Text Editors by Seun(m): 10:01am On Nov 19, 2008
Notepad isn't the best - the text mode in Dreamweaver gives you code auto-completion and highlighting. Notepad++ gives you highlighting only. Bothwill increase your productivity over Notepad, especially when just starting out. Customers don't care how clever you are.  They care about the quality of your designs.
Re: WYSIWYG Editors Versus Text Editors by hanen(f): 10:55am On Nov 19, 2008
Honestly, I firsted dabbled in html with frontpage years ago. That's where I learnt from. I can now use both. So, I don't think it's written in stone that you must learn in a text editor first. As Seun said, the code view of dreamweaver is helpful because of the highlighting, it showed when I made an error, which is great.

It doesn't really matter though, at the end of the day. Whatever rocks your boat, just do it.
Re: WYSIWYG Editors Versus Text Editors by tweb1: 11:54am On Nov 19, 2008
REMEMBER:
After  expressing your opinion make sure to cast your votes at the top menu before leaving,  wink

Re: WYSIWYG Editors Versus Text Editors by smartsoft(m): 11:57am On Nov 19, 2008
hanen been a long time oooooooooooo
Re: WYSIWYG Editors Versus Text Editors by yawatide(f): 12:45pm On Nov 19, 2008
I think the air needs to be cleared a bit on this topic:

A WYSIWYG editor is a text editor in disguise but a text editor isn't necessarily a WYSIWYG editor. Let's understand this first before commenting/posting.

Take DW. You can code in it in both design and code view. The latter is a text editor.

Yes at the end of the day, a client doesn't care what you use, as long as you get it done but for what we do, I am still of the opinion that one must know how things are done before advancing to using what they don't understand. I mean, look at half the sites posted here for review then view their source. It wreaks of lack of understanding of efficient use of a WYSIWYG software program.
Re: WYSIWYG Editors Versus Text Editors by syvanet(m): 5:43pm On Nov 19, 2008
yawa-ti-de
thanks for the explanation  i  prefer WYSISYG  to notepad 1000,000 times ever since have started publishing websites with dreamweaver i do not think i have ever tried my hand coding with notepad though that is what i started with. some years ago more also i want you to tell me what could have happened for one's post to be moved to recycle bin please very urgent counting on your sincere explanation grin grin
Re: WYSIWYG Editors Versus Text Editors by yawatide(f): 6:29pm On Nov 19, 2008
i think the recycle bin question is one better suited for Seun wink
Re: WYSIWYG Editors Versus Text Editors by OmniPotens(m): 7:11pm On Nov 19, 2008
For beginners, I maintain NOTEPAD.

One question I will still ask is, all the advanced programmers in here, please, frankly tell me if you have a WYSIWYG editor on your PC? I will start visiting you one after the other to check this oooo.

I will not tell a lie here. I love NOTEPAD like craze because of flexibility but WYSIWYG editor is still there at the background. No lies. In fact, Adobe CS4 is just there standby grin
Re: WYSIWYG Editors Versus Text Editors by kehers(m): 7:45pm On Nov 19, 2008
To b down and sincere I gat no WYSIWYG on ma PC. Not dat im trying to form anything here but the thing is I just dont use them. In truth if Im into desgns alone, I may be tempted to av atleast one around but really, I dont do much of designs especially public works (I de do ones wit good pay sha grin). I simply enjoy hacking into one web specs and another, trying out some crazy ideas on PHP, Js and co or playing around J2ME - and to these a WYSIWYG can offer way too little.
If u are into designs and do much of public works, no reasons to dish ur WYSIWYG apps. As have been said by many, ur client will only be concerned wit d end result of d job. But then, it is very important to have a grounded idea of the codes - no matter if u r using notepad or a WYSIWYG.
Re: WYSIWYG Editors Versus Text Editors by OmniPotens(m): 9:18pm On Nov 19, 2008
Until someday, maybe when I visit you, I will confirm your case tongue

Whose next on my row shocked
Re: WYSIWYG Editors Versus Text Editors by yawatide(f): 9:23pm On Nov 19, 2008
That wd b me cool

I have homesite, notepad (of course) and DW loaded on my PC at home but I only use homesite. I no longer use notepad for my work but in the rare event that I am where I need to make a change to one of my sites and don't have access to my computer and the one I am using has no homesite or whatever, I have been known to pull up notepad in a jiffy. I have even used UNIX's VI editor a few times as well and believe me, if you think notepad is as basic as it gets and is thus old school, you need to check out VI wink

(1) (2) (Reply)

Smartweb.com.ng Issue (Resolved by Smartweb) / Free Jquery Mb.menu / .

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.