Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,369 members, 7,957,998 topics. Date: Wednesday, 25 September 2024 at 07:08 AM

The Best Cms For A News Website - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / The Best Cms For A News Website (3014 Views)

Best CMS For Social Network / 5 Reasons Why Joomla Is The Best CMS The World Has Ever Known! / What Is The Best CMS For Uploading Videos? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Best Cms For A News Website by gabuzee(m): 9:35pm On Jun 03, 2011
Pls which is the best CMS for creating a news website.
You can also drop tips of how to go about it.
Re: The Best Cms For A News Website by gabuzee(m): 9:42pm On Jun 03, 2011
Am thinkin of *wordpress*Wat do you think.
Re: The Best Cms For A News Website by Nobody: 9:53pm On Jun 03, 2011
Wordpress, dont let me waste ink
Re: The Best Cms For A News Website by gabuzee(m): 6:28am On Jun 04, 2011
*dhtml:

Wordpress, dont let me waste ink
@ dhtml, can you give me a tip of how to go about it without much stress.
Re: The Best Cms For A News Website by Nobody: 8:03am On Jun 04, 2011
Go and learn how to use wordpress, what kinda tip are you looking for? go to wordpress.org, download the stuff, setup up your L.A.M.P server e.g wamp, xampp and install the stuff, and learn how to use it. . .
Re: The Best Cms For A News Website by sbohost: 3:35am On Jun 22, 2011
Wordpress is good for Blog and CMS. You can grasp the detail easily on http://wordpress.org/

Use Webmatrix to install and play around on your local machine. Download here http://www.microsoft.com/web/webmatrix/
Re: The Best Cms For A News Website by kheme(m): 6:06am On Jun 22, 2011
@Poster: dude, you have a few options. Try out the different CMS out there and decide which one you are most comfortable with.

The most common ones are Wordpress & Joomla. I use both, but i prefer Joomla for WEBSITES and i prefer wordpress for BLOG (or blog-like) websites. But if i had to choose just one, i'd choose joomla cos you can customize the most part of it easily.

As my friend once said, joomla is for coders, wordpress is for designers.

I also use a CMS i wrote myself, which replaces joomla where it's too complicated for the client and wordpress where the site needs less stereotype.

The choices are yours. My advice, try all of em out one at a time, and find the one you're most comfortable with.

my 2cents :-)
Re: The Best Cms For A News Website by rfrank: 4:36pm On Jun 24, 2011
I noticed that Drupal has not been mentioned. We're shopping for a new cms for our news website that it updated (hammered) numerous times daily by our staff. The three names we've heard are Joomla, Drupal and Wordpress, in no particular order.

As noted above, Wordpress seems best suited as a blogging type application. But the difference in ability and flexibility between Joomla and Drupal is unknown.

Any out there who have tried Drupal, and/or possibly can make a comparison.

Thanks in advance for any insights.
Re: The Best Cms For A News Website by bouzymill(m): 6:01pm On Jun 24, 2011
kheme:

@Poster: dude, you have a few options. Try out the different CMS out there and decide which one you are most comfortable with.

The most common ones are Wordpress & Joomla. I use both, but i prefer Joomla for WEBSITES and i prefer wordpress for BLOG (or blog-like) websites. But if i had to choose just one, i'd choose joomla cos you can customize the most part of it easily.

As my friend once said, joomla is for coders, wordpress is for designers.

I'm just curious. . . I'm kinda interested in the above bolded statement. . .
Re: The Best Cms For A News Website by kheme(m): 6:09pm On Jun 24, 2011
lol those are my friends words, not mine.

fact is, i started with joomla, and when i need a module or extension and i can't find one with the exact features i need, i just write mine or customize the one with the closest available features to what i need.

but in wordpress, most of the extensions available most probably already do what the users want, and there's less need for more specific features. still, wordpress is for blog-type websites, so to speak. while joomla is more of general purpose, can be used as a regular website, or as a blog site, or more.

joomla seems to offer more customizations than wordpress (i've not used wordpress as extensively as i've used joomla)

have i answered this question??
Re: The Best Cms For A News Website by bouzymill(m): 10:04pm On Jun 24, 2011
kheme:

lol those are my friends words, not mine.

fact is, i started with joomla, and when i need a module or extension and i can't find one with the exact features i need, i just write mine or customize the one with the closest available features to what i need.

but in wordpress, most of the extensions available most probably already do what the users want, and there's less need for more specific features. still, wordpress is for blog-type websites, so to speak. while joomla is more of general purpose, can be used as a regular website, or as a blog site, or more.

joomla seems to offer more customizations than wordpress (i've not used wordpress as extensively as i've used joomla)

have i answered this question??

Ok. . . Well, you're right to say wordpress is blogs or bloglike websites. . . Even the worpres development developed wordpress mainly for blogging and the likes. However, Wordpress has been developed into such a stage whereby you can do anything with it. You can turn wordpress into a cms if you know how to work with the template tags and the custom fields. I've seen big stores using wordpress with the wp-ecommerce plugin to make an ecommerce websites. While Wordpress might not be the most appropriate system for all these, I think a developer that knows his way around wordpress would turn wordpress into a workstation. I don't know how joomla or drupal works but i do know that you can turn your jquery code into a wordpress plugin or widget and the same goes for php codes. This is why I think wordpress can be a beast.
Re: The Best Cms For A News Website by databoy247(m): 11:17pm On Jun 25, 2011
Hi folks,

From the above comments, it will be unarguably noted that wordpress is the best for a news website. If you are really not interested in codes but designs like i do, then wordpress is your best bet.

examples of news websites designed with wordpress are www.saharareporters.com, and my own very www.divilla.org

Cheers.

(1) (Reply)

.com Users Whatsapp Group / WYSIWYG Editors Versus Text Editors / Why Web Hosting Companies in Nigeria Should Reposition for 2006

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.