Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,000 members, 7,817,958 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:57 PM

The Fallacy Of A Straight Line Denoting Shortest Distance. - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The Fallacy Of A Straight Line Denoting Shortest Distance. (1470 Views)

The Worlds Tallest, Shortest, Fattest And Thinnest People (pictures) / University Of Ibadan, Distance Learning Programme / University Of Abuja Distance Learning Admission List (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Fallacy Of A Straight Line Denoting Shortest Distance. by lagrangea: 2:59pm On Oct 28, 2014
[color=#006600][/color] You probably must have heard that the shortest distance between two points, say point A and point B, is a straight line, well its time to burst those illusions. The cliche, all things being equal is always applied only in an ideal situation, but some certain things shouldn't follow that principle of all things being equal. Look at it this way, the first man to break the sound barrier didn't attempt doing it on a horizontal plane, instead when he reached a certain height he turned it upside down, after that all hell was let loose and the extra thrust brought about by the pull of gravity ensured that he broke the speed barrier. Same thing applicable in this scenario of shortest distance, take for instance, if two boys A and B, of similar magnitude and capability (*no pun intended*) move from a point C to a point D, Boy A follows a straight line while Boy B follows a parabola with the same initial velocity, the odds are in the favour of the boy B reaching the final point earlier, simple because of one factor, the pull of gravity. "All things being equal" I think, should remain a cliche. AJAH ELIEZER.
Re: The Fallacy Of A Straight Line Denoting Shortest Distance. by madmadu(m): 3:12pm On Oct 28, 2014
lagrangea:
[color=#006600][/color] You probably must have heard that the shortest distance between two points, say point A and point B, is a straight line, well its time to burst those illusions. The cliche, all things being equal is always applied only in an ideal situation, but some certain things shouldn't follow that principle of all things being equal. Look at it this way, the first man to break the sound barrier didn't attempt doing it on a horizontal plane, instead when he reached a certain height he turned it upside down, after that all hell was let loose and the extra thrust brought about by the pull of gravity ensured that he broke the speed barrier. Same thing applicable in this scenario of shortest distance, take for instance, if two boys A and B, of similar magnitude and capability (*no pun intended*) move from a point C to a point D, Boy A follows a straight line while Boy B follows a parabola with the same initial velocity, the odds are in the favour of the boy B reaching the final point earlier, simple because of one factor, the pull of gravity. "All things being equal" I think, should remain a cliche. AJAH ELIEZER.
make i no lie, i no understand am @ all!!
Re: The Fallacy Of A Straight Line Denoting Shortest Distance. by Ezedon(m): 3:23pm On Oct 28, 2014
No reasonable point, following a parabola and cutting through to make a straight line which one is shorter? My dear the shortest distance between 2 points is a straight line
Re: The Fallacy Of A Straight Line Denoting Shortest Distance. by Aizebioje(m): 4:13pm On Oct 28, 2014
Ezedon:
No reasonable point, following a parabola and cutting through to make a straight line which one is shorter? My dear the shortest distance between 2 points is a straight line
GBAM!!! Nothing more to be said
Re: The Fallacy Of A Straight Line Denoting Shortest Distance. by destino24(m): 6:04pm On Oct 28, 2014
if its about distance, then a straight line would be the shortest, but i don't think that's what you actually mean since you included the initial velocity parameter. So, it's not about the distance between the points, but the TIME it will take from one point to the other. Based on this assumption, gravity will only help boy B when he is moving from the apex of the parabola to point D. please do not forget that, while he is moving from point C to the apex of the parabola, he will have to put more energy, to defeat the force of gravity, and that invariably means more time.

we could argue that both ETAs "COULD" be the same, but that would require a clear scientific experiment.
my 1 kobo

1 Like

Re: The Fallacy Of A Straight Line Denoting Shortest Distance. by lagrangea: 3:00pm On Oct 29, 2014
destino24:
if its about distance, then a straight line would be the shortest, but i don't think that's what you actually mean since you included the initial velocity parameter. So, it's not about the distance between the points, but the TIME it will take from one point to the other. Based on this assumption, gravity will only help boy B when he is moving from the apex of the parabola to point D. please do not forget that, while he is moving from point C to the apex of the parabola, he will have to put more energy, to defeat the force of gravity, and that invariably means more time.

we could argue that both ETAs "COULD" be the same, but that would require a clear scientific experiment.
my 1 kobo
Thank you very much, but what I really think should be taken into consideration isn't all things being equal but all things being done, it doesnt mean more time as the force of gravity invariably brings him down, obviously with a thud.
Re: The Fallacy Of A Straight Line Denoting Shortest Distance. by lagrangea: 3:02pm On Oct 29, 2014
Aizebioje:

GBAM!!! Nothing more to be said
hahaha, Ignorance, they say, is bliss!
Re: The Fallacy Of A Straight Line Denoting Shortest Distance. by Nobody: 4:23am On Oct 30, 2014
lagrangea:

Thank you very much, but what I really think should be taken into consideration isn't all things being equal but all things being done, it doesnt mean more time as the force of gravity invariably brings him down, obviously with a thud.
distance in this case also means lenght ,the straight line will the shorter length but the parabola will have the shorter time.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Nigeria Pidgin Proverbs And Their English Meanings! / Battered Student Of Eva Adelaja Secondary School-see Full Story / Again UNIBEN Set To Conduct Another Screening Exercise

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.