Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,120 members, 7,818,359 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:24 PM

Lovers Of Literature. Do You Remember this Poem?:NIGHT FALL IN SOWETO - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Lovers Of Literature. Do You Remember this Poem?:NIGHT FALL IN SOWETO (2742 Views)

Loss File Of Literature Section. / How To Write Or Becoming An Author Without The Knowledge Of Literature / What You Must Know As A Writer Or As A Student Of Literature (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lovers Of Literature. Do You Remember this Poem?:NIGHT FALL IN SOWETO by omoharry(f): 9:46am On Oct 29, 2014
Enjoy the ebb and flow of Nightfall in Soweto: BY Oswald Mbuyiseni Mtshali

"Nightfall comes like
a dreaded disease
seeping through the pores
of a healthy body
and ravaging it beyond repair

A murderer’s hand,
lurking in the shadows,
clasping the dagger,
strikes down the helpless victim.

I am the victim.
I am slaughtered
every night in the streets.
I am cornered by the fear
gnawing at my timid heart;
in my helplessness I languish.

Man has ceased to be man
Man has become beast
Man has become prey.
I am the prey;
I am the quarry to be run down
by the marauding beast
let loose by cruel nightfall
from his cage of death.

Where is my refuge?
Where am I safe?
Not in my matchbox house
Where I barricade myself against nightfall.
I tremble at his crunching footsteps,
I quake at his deafening knock at the door.
“Open up!” he barks like a rabid dog
thirsty for my blood.

Nightfall! Nightfall!
You are my mortal enemy.
But why were you ever created?
Why can’t it be daytime?
Daytime forever more?"

This was one of my favorite poem back in my days in high school. I can still recite almost everything by heart . Nice poetic work. I wonder if this wonderful poet is still alive.
Re: Lovers Of Literature. Do You Remember this Poem?:NIGHT FALL IN SOWETO by obstead200(m): 6:44am On Oct 30, 2014
Yeah. I studied dat poem too. Along with "salute to the elephant" and "Richard Cory" my best
Re: Lovers Of Literature. Do You Remember this Poem?:NIGHT FALL IN SOWETO by hadayshawlar(f): 11:23pm On Oct 30, 2014
Hmmm. Had to cram this for my exam.
Re: Lovers Of Literature. Do You Remember this Poem?:NIGHT FALL IN SOWETO by D9ty7(m): 7:22am On Oct 31, 2014
A wonderful poem by a wonderful poet.

(1) (Reply)

World Fantasy Award Goes To Nnedi Okorafor! / Without A Silver Spoon / Origins (A Poem On Yoruba Cultural Heritage)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 7
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.