Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,676 members, 7,809,571 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:23 AM

Synagogue Building Collapse: Witnesses Vindicate Church - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Synagogue Building Collapse: Witnesses Vindicate Church (1219 Views)

Joe Igbokwe’s Ramblings Vindicate Saraki / Court Orders T.B. Joshua To Testify On Nov. 5 Over Synagogue Building Collapse / 20 Million Euro Mansion: Court Vindicate Allison-madueke (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Synagogue Building Collapse: Witnesses Vindicate Church by Makweembo: 7:40pm On Oct 29, 2014
SYNAGOGUE BUILDING COLLAPSE: WITNESSES VINDICATE CHURCH AS CORONER ALLAYS FEARS OF PROSECUTION

As proceedings continue at the Coroner’s Inquest into the cause of the building collapse at The Synagogue, Church Of All Nations (SCOAN), more clarifications are emerging concerning the true circumstances surrounding the sad event of September 12, 2014. On Wednesday, October 29, 2014, marking the fourth day of the inquest, two witnesses testified under cross-examination on major grey areas concerning the collapse.

The state pathologist, Professor Obafunwa who was cross-examined under oath by one of the counsels to The SCOAN, Ojo Olalekan, upheld that it was not appropriate for anyone to state categorically whether or not there was a blast leading to the collapse, contrary to reports in some sections of the media claiming that he had ruled out the theory of explosion as cause of the collapse. He added that it was premature to make conclusions since the final report was still being expected. The pathologist also admitted to have conducted autopsies on only two bodies on the 22nd of September, 2014, precisely ten days after the incident. Reacting to the question as to whether he took samples of debris from the site of the collapse to ascertain the cause, Prof Obafunwa posited that it was not his duty to ascertain the cause of the collapse.

According to Olalekan, any attempt at preempting the complexion of the final report amounts to speculation, which negates the essence of the inquest. The session which commenced at exactly 9:04 am had the courtroom filled to capacity with counsels from The SCOAN, the Lagos State Government, representatives of interested parties as well as journalists from the local and international media.

The presiding magistrate, Justice Oyetade Komolafe maintained that the inquest is purely a fact-finding mission aimed at preventing future recurrences of building collapse. He urged the witnesses to testify in good faith and with the greatest regard to their conscience, observing that there was no intention to witch-hunt or prosecute anybody. Similarly, while expressing his satisfaction with proceedings at the sitting, lead counsel to The SCOAN, Lateef Fagbemi (SAN) observed: “I am just relying on the assurances by the coroner that they are not prosecuting anybody but on a fact-finding mission. And we have responsibilities and duties to assist in that area. And that is what we are doing”.

Meanwhile, the witness representing the Nigerian Red Cross, Mr. Oladimeji Ige, while testifying, affirmed that during rescue operations after the collapse, he and his team enjoyed the co-operation of members of The SCOAN, who had thronged the scene of the incident passionately assisting in the rescue efforts. He also refuted widespread allegations in some quarters that members of the church barred rescue operators from carrying out their statutory duties at the scene of the incident:

“Immediately I got the emergency calls, I beckoned on my team and about 45 people responded to the clarion call. Personally, I got there at 5pm but my members had been on the site working ahead. When I got to the main entrance, the church officials quickly let me in and at the entrance of the gate to the site, I saw officials of relevant agencies like NEMA and LASEMA. We worked all round the clock. Sincerely, the church assisted us by providing 10 ambulances because the only one we had came to the scene on the second day which was Saturday, 13 September, 2014. Yes, I admit that the church authorities were good and helpful to us. They were so passionate about the rescue operations. And I can tell you categorically that they never stopped us from doing our job. Rather, their efforts really covered our inadequacies”. Ige’s version of events contradicted the account of Mr Ibrahim Farinloye who alleged that NEMA and other rescue operators were barred from performing their duties by members of The SCOAN.

Interestingly, different groups of people, including the disabled and destitute, stormed the court premises with different placards requesting the court not to be a tool in the hands of some mischievous people who might want to scuttle the truth. Some of the placards had inscriptions such as “TB JOSHUA IS THE REAL VICTIM, STOP ADDING TO HIS PAINS”, “GIVE US ANSWERS ABOUT THE MISSING JETS THAT HOVERED OVER THE STRUCTURE” and “STOP CHASING SHADOWS AND FACE THE FACTS”.

The sitting was adjourned to the following day being Thursday, October 30, 2014.

Mr Nosa Osazuwa - freelance journalist

SOURCE: http://bulawayo24.com/index-id-opinion-sc-columnist-byo-56513.html

Re: Synagogue Building Collapse: Witnesses Vindicate Church by Smooyis(m): 8:53pm On Oct 29, 2014
I know many will not like to read this, but the fact is truth will always overcome falsehood.

2 Likes

Re: Synagogue Building Collapse: Witnesses Vindicate Church by femioyewale: 9:01pm On Oct 29, 2014
I wonder why they are disturbing the man of God. Instead of them to focus on the weighty allegations of what the man said caused the incident they are chasing shadows

1 Like

Re: Synagogue Building Collapse: Witnesses Vindicate Church by Makweembo: 12:02am On Oct 30, 2014
It is very clear the Nigerian media have an agenda against T.B. Joshua. Why is it that this version of events sounds completely different to the majority of reports that detailed today's events. Why are they highlighting some areas and underreporting others? Were they in a different courtroom. It is surprising.

1 Like

Re: Synagogue Building Collapse: Witnesses Vindicate Church by otil1: 1:58am On Oct 30, 2014
So why would Nigerian media be against TB Joshua?

Overseas, such inquest will receive 24x7 live coverage, even a little cough in d court room will be recorded and analyzed. Or u prefere a secrete inquest? -no press?

Take a look at d pix above and see why d church should take it easy. It's propaganda machinery is on overdrive yet they are accusing the media of bias. See that all the cardboards have same handwriting.

If u know wot it takes to organise such protest and look at this one, u know it was arranged. There is no frankness, period. how and when did those handicapped come from their different homes to the court premises to demonstrate? They didn't come on their own. Rather, they are being used to sway public sympathy and by that subvent a due process Of the laws of the land.

1 Like

Re: Synagogue Building Collapse: Witnesses Vindicate Church by SLIDEwaxie(m): 3:01am On Oct 30, 2014
otil1:
So why would Nigerian media be against TB Joshua?

Overseas, such inquest will receive 24x7 live coverage, even a little cough in d court room will be recorded and analyzed. Or u prefere a secrete inquest? -no press?

Take a look at d pix above and see why d church should take it easy. It's propaganda machinery is on overdrive yet they are accusing the media of bias. See that all the cardboards have same handwriting.

If u know wot it takes to organise such protest and look at this one, u know it was arranged. There is no frankness, period. how and when did those handicapped come from their different homes to the court premises to demonstrate? They didn't come on their own. Rather, they are being used to sway public sympathy and by that subvent a due process Of the laws of the land.
which cardboards have the same handwriting?

How were they seated or standing that passes it out for an arranged protest?

Bros, go sip tea and sleep..it is well
Re: Synagogue Building Collapse: Witnesses Vindicate Church by lonelydora: 3:12am On Oct 30, 2014
Only TIME will tell what happened.
Re: Synagogue Building Collapse: Witnesses Vindicate Church by Luggi007(m): 5:25am On Oct 30, 2014
All is well
Re: Synagogue Building Collapse: Witnesses Vindicate Church by femioyewale: 7:59am On Oct 30, 2014
collapsed building
FEMI | 10/30/2014 7:55:15 AM |
Its so sad that we dont support our own during crises? Why shun facts and be sentimental cos its TB joshua? Why rush to the coroner without answering basic questions about the whereabouts of the four missing military jets? Why not technologically investigate the claim of the typical case of a controlled demolition? Why rush to conclusions? Why ask Nema and pathologist to determine the cause of a demolished building? Its laughable . I weep for Nigeria
Re: Synagogue Building Collapse: Witnesses Vindicate Church by neenar: 8:26am On Oct 30, 2014
Sycophantic cretins_! How I wish they had each lost a relative in the collapse...

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Enugu PDP Crisis: Chime, Ekweremadu Resolve Differences / Akande Is A Pathological Liar I - AD Chairman Senator Mojisoluwa Akinfenwa / My Vision For Africa Ahead Of 2063 – Kunle Adeleye

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.