Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,043 members, 7,818,095 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:40 AM

Equality In Not Always Justice - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Equality In Not Always Justice (6322 Views)

Woman Accuses Justice Olamide Oloyede Of Snatching Her Husband (Snapshots) / Justice At Last For Nigerian Wife Murdered By Husband In Florida 4 Years Ago / Omotola-jalade Ekeinde's On Her Marriage And Gender Equality (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Equality In Not Always Justice by xynerise: 6:37pm On Oct 30, 2014
Equality as regards family responsibilities is different from corporate, financial or economic equality.
Re: Equality In Not Always Justice by Nobody: 6:49pm On Oct 30, 2014
xynerise:
Equality as regards family responsibilities is different from corporate, financial or economic equality.

You bring a very good point. I just wanted to set the context that the whole idea of equality is flawed in every day life. So when we now come to the family it is even harder to work.
Re: Equality In Not Always Justice by taiwoti(m): 7:22pm On Oct 30, 2014
What I feel is that there can never be equality between the male and female folks, take a look at this from the creation perspective, from the beginning we are created differently and we are saddled with different responsibilities and tasks which is carried out by either gender, furthermore, let's take a peep into the family perspective, its naturally the male's responsibility to seek and provide for his family while the lady engage in the domestic core, anyway dat comes with mutual understanding.
While still engaging in tasks and distinct responsibilities, we should keep in mind that both gender can never perform the same task either emotionally or physically, which paves way for questions like, why don't our ladies serve in the military front line, why are they so emotionally inclined such dat they shed tears in moments of joy and sadness, why do they make the loudest moan during consummation, and so on, watch out for ladies who try out men's task and you will see how they age speedily compared to there colleagues, moreover in the spirit of fairness men too have task they there not indulge. So my point is we should appreciate our differences and let it mould us to something better and then we can together make the world a better place.
Re: Equality In Not Always Justice by Nobody: 7:27pm On Oct 30, 2014
^^ No, I wasn't created to clean toilets and I wasn't created to sit at home and do boooooring house chores. My brain would die of mental underload.
I prefer to make money and spend it as I like without having to ask anyone if I am allowed to buy this or that.
You want someone to clean after you, get a maid or do it yourself.

2 Likes

Re: Equality In Not Always Justice by taiwoti(m): 7:55pm On Oct 30, 2014
My advise: ( Stay Celibate).
Re: Equality In Not Always Justice by Nobody: 8:33pm On Oct 30, 2014
Did anyone ask for advi c e?

2 Likes

Re: Equality In Not Always Justice by Fkforyou(m): 9:14pm On Oct 30, 2014
Here we go again,I just hope tensions won't get high and the purpose of this thread defeated.
Re: Equality In Not Always Justice by crackhaus: 11:29am On Oct 31, 2014
freecocoa:
This topic again.

No one is seeking equality because we believe that we are inferior to men, the movement for equality arose because 'men' behave like they are superior to women, this mentality is what the struggle aims to change.

Correction:
Men behave like they are different from women, the inherent problem however is that this behavior comes off as 'superiority' to some of you ladies.

This highlights one point in the OP - only a woman with inferiority complex labels a man who tells/explains to her how different he is from her as 'acting superior'.

A man is equal to a woman by reason of just being both human, but that's about it.
In every other thing, the inequality is clear for all to see - we do not think the same way, we do not feel the same way, we do not talk the same way, we are not treated the same way, we do not abide by the same biological rules, we do not love the same things, we do not love the same way... I could go on.

That a woman is more emotional than logical, more prone to competing with themselves, or more materialistic, does not mean she is inferior - it means she is different and a woman.

A strong woman is not one who fights and screams to be treated like a man, but one who is confident in herself, in her gender, and has no problem accepting the fact that she is and will only ever be a woman...thus, cannot totally be treated as if she were a man.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Equality In Not Always Justice by Nobody: 12:31pm On Oct 31, 2014
crackhaus:

A strong woman is not one who fights and screams to be treated like a man, but one who is confident in herself, in her gender, and has no problem accepting the fact that she is and will only ever be a woman...thus, cannot totally be treated as if she were a man.

I like this point. No one ever said women are inferior, there is no basis for inferiority; we just need to accept our differences and also accept our roles in a family. We have had several women that have reached the top of the world without fighting for equality. The easiest way to prove equality is to just show you are as good as or even better than any man at what you do. And no one has ever stopped any woman from excelling in business, career or anything else. We scream society is against women; but who is this society? Is this society made up of only men? Is it not the same society that produced Dora, Stella, Ngozi, Dezaini?

There are still alot of injustices done against women especially in rural Nigeria and clearly a lot of work needs to be done. But half of the people screaming equality on the internet are not even victims.

2 Likes

Re: Equality In Not Always Justice by Nobody: 12:50pm On Oct 31, 2014

2 Likes

Re: Equality In Not Always Justice by zeb04(f): 1:06pm On Oct 31, 2014
How can you say a woman is unequal to a man because she reasons differently, doesn't speak the same way you do e.t c.jsnt it clear you are of different genders.....how can she speak same way you do undecided

I think these wave of feminism needs to continue.so much still needs to be done
Re: Equality In Not Always Justice by bukatyne(f): 1:12pm On Oct 31, 2014
crackhaus:

Correction:
Men behave like they are different from women, the inherent problem however is that this behavior comes off as 'superiority' to some of you ladies.

This highlights one point in the OP - only a woman with inferiority complex labels a man who tells/explains to her how different he is from her as 'acting superior'.

A man is equal to a woman by reason of just being both human, but that's about it.
In every other thing, the inequality is clear for all to see - we do not think the same way, we do not feel the same way, we do not talk the same way, we are not treated the same way, we do not abide by the same biological rules, we do not love the same things, we do not love the same way... I could go on.

That a woman is more emotional than logical, more prone to competing with themselves, or more materialistic, does not mean she is inferior - it means she is different and a woman.

I disagree with the bolded

I am different from my Igbo friend yet I don't feel inferior to her;

Even on NL, those who say men and women are not equal mean that men are superior; there are several threads to that effect.

Based on your point, no two humans are equal yet women do not feel inferior to themselves or men to themselves on a basic level

I doubt equality to be treated like a man/woman. It is giving everyone the same level ground & opportunities. If a person now messes up, fine.

And equality and equity can go along just fine cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Equality In Not Always Justice by bukatyne(f): 1:13pm On Oct 31, 2014
zeb04:
How can you say a woman is unequal to a man because she reasons differently, doesn't speak the same way you do e.t c.jsnt it clear you are of different genders.....how can she speak same way you do undecided

I think these waves of feminism needs to continue. So much still needs to be done

LOL!

1 Like

Re: Equality In Not Always Justice by Nobody: 1:19pm On Oct 31, 2014
bukatyne:

Even on NL, those who say men and women are not equal mean that men are superior; there are several threads to that effect.

It is giving everyone the same level ground & opportunities. If a person now messes up, fine.

I say men and women are not equal. However, I have never said either is superior. Men and women are different. Now, can you give an example how you have not been given the same level ground or opportunities as any other guy? Lol. I want to catch you now.
Re: Equality In Not Always Justice by zeb04(f): 1:29pm On Oct 31, 2014
Nashville:

I say men and women are not equal. However, I have never said either is superior. Men and women are different. No can you give an example how you have not been given the same level ground or opportunities as any other guy? Lol. I want to catch you now.
men and women are different based on gender but are equal.

I don't mean to insult you but do you tell your daughter she is unequal to henry in her play class because she is a woman or you just come on line to feel good.

I think our upbringing in some way has shapen our thought system and its okay if we reason that way as long as we don't expect everyone to reason like us..some of us were taught differently by our fathers.

1 Like

Re: Equality In Not Always Justice by Nobody: 1:38pm On Oct 31, 2014
^^abeg helep me tell dem cheesy
Nairaland sha sad

1 Like

Re: Equality In Not Always Justice by Nobody: 1:39pm On Oct 31, 2014
Someone explain to me what makes women less logical than men. undecided
Re: Equality In Not Always Justice by crackhaus: 2:17pm On Oct 31, 2014
Nashville:

I like this point. No one ever said women are inferior, there is no basis for inferiority; we just need to accept our differences and also accept our roles in a family. We have had several women that have reached the top of the world without fighting for equality. The easiest way to prove equality is to just show you are as good as or even better than any man at what you do. And no one has ever stopped any woman from excelling in business, career or anything else. We scream society is against women; but who is this society? Is this society made up of only men? Is it not the same society that produced Dora, Stella, Ngozi, Dezaini?

There are still alot of injustices done against women especially in rural Nigeria and clearly a lot of work needs to be done. But half of the people screaming equality on the internet are not even victims.
Looking at it from the perspective of society being against women, I still ask myself that same question - who exactly is the society? Is it not both men and women themselves?

Truth be told, a woman working hard to get to the top is likely to encounter more problems and discouragement from women like herself than from men.
They say women are not allowed to hold political offices, I then say - show me one qualified woman who got rejected in getting a political appointment because of her gender.
The other day, Sarah Jubril contested as the only woman in PDP primaries, she got only one vote - why did the women who make up a proportion of PDP's caucus not rally behind her to procure votes?
Recently, a workshop was held in the presidential villa for female aspirants ahead of the 2015 general elections, all these is in a bid to at least disprove the idea that women are treated unfairly.

Why is it also that the majority of powerful women the world over do not shout and preach equality cum feminism?
Laura Bush, Hilary Clinton, Ellen Johnson-Sirleaf, Dilma Rousseff (just re-elected president of Brazil), and of course the Nigerians on your list, all have one thing in common - we don't see/hear them claiming/preaching disenfranchisement.

The rural women you talked about facing injustice, is more of a cultural thing specific to these rural communities.
Girls being married off early in the north and middle-east is not enough proof of injustice...that is their culture.
Women not allowed to inherit property in some places is mostly cultural and at other times fueled by ignorance.

When it comes to social and economic equality, there really is no issue as regards Nigeria.
Both men and women are already treated equal in that regard - although women are even more likely to get favours than men, yet I don't see men complaining or the women themselves demanding equality in that aspect.

3 Likes

Re: Equality In Not Always Justice by crackhaus: 2:52pm On Oct 31, 2014
zeb04:

I think these wave of feminism needs to continue.so much still needs to be done

Abraham Lincoln said, '...for two different things to be considered completely equal to one another, they must be be equal to the same thing...'

The sexxual, emotional, and physical differences between the sexes make us equal to different things - this is why there is such a thing as 'predominant' gender roles/careers/responsibilities.

However you did misinterpret me, I never said a woman is unequal to a man because of how she reasons - I said a woman is equal to a man on the basis of both being humans, which is just about how equal we can ever get.
The inherent differences between the genders thus make each subject to a different kind of treatment - thinking differently and feeling differently are examples of what make us different.

Since a man and woman can't be equal in all things, then that makes way for inequality - this in turn does not mean one gender is superior to the other, it means we are different and not equal to the same thing except of course as just humans.

1 Like

Re: Equality In Not Always Justice by bukatyne(f): 2:53pm On Oct 31, 2014
Nashville:

I say men and women are not equal. However, I have never said either is superior. Men and women are different. Now, can you give an example how you have not been given the same level ground or opportunities as any other guy? Lol. I want to catch you now.

Based on your definition of not equal, no two persons are equal in this world yet I see myself and my fellow women as equals BUT different.

The truth is if two things are NOT equal, one is superior to the other. The word is 'different'

@your question: No, because I have never seen myself as 'unequal' and sometimes, there are systems in place
Re: Equality In Not Always Justice by crackhaus: 3:25pm On Oct 31, 2014
bukatyne:

I disagree with the bolded

I am different from my Igbo friend yet I don't feel inferior to her;

Based on your point, no two humans are equal yet women do not feel inferior to themselves or men to themselves on a basic level

I doubt equality to be treated like a man/woman. It is giving everyone the same level ground & opportunities. If a person now messes up, fine.

And equality and equity can go along just fine cheesy
You and I both know how you women misinterpret and read meanings into little things.

See what I just did there?
I'm pretty sure in your mind and in the mind of some female readers, that statement above will be taken as 'sexist'. cheesy
But am I wrong, honestly? Are women not more emotional and prone to react emotionally?
Does that mean you are inferior, or is that just what you all think men mean when they say such?

You did misinterpret me as well - I said, a man and a woman are equal as humans, but it ends there.
Pray tell, where did you get that bit in bold in your comment?

As for the level playing ground and opportunities, is there any inequality in that aspect?
Are women in Nigeria not given opportunity?

I have nothing against economic/social equality, this has to do with the law...and frankly, the law in Nigeria already favours both genders.
Unless what you Nigerian women are clamoring for are the western-type laws (marriage/civil) which actually favour women.
And if that is it, does that not now negate the idea of equality where women are treated more fairly than men?

1 Like

Re: Equality In Not Always Justice by bukatyne(f): 4:21pm On Oct 31, 2014
crackhaus:

Looking at it from the perspective of society being against women, I still ask myself that same question - who exactly is the society? Is it not both men and women themselves?

Truth be told, a woman working hard to get to the top is likely to encounter more problems and discouragement from women like herself than from men.
They say women are not allowed to hold political offices, I then say - show me one qualified woman who got rejected in getting a political appointment because of her gender.
The other day, Sarah Jubril contested as the only woman in PDP primaries, she got only one vote - why did the women who make up a proportion of PDP's caucus not rally behind her to procure votes?
Recently, a workshop was held in the presidential villa for female aspirants ahead of the 2015 general elections, all these is in a bid to at least disprove the idea that women are treated unfairly.

Why is it also that the majority of powerful women the world over do not shout and preach equality cum feminism?
Laura Bush, Hilary Clinton, Ellen Johnson-Sirleaf, Dilma Rousseff (just re-elected president of Brazil), and of course the Nigerians on your list, all have one thing in common - we don't see/hear them claiming/preaching disenfranchisement.

The rural women you talked about facing injustice, is more of a cultural thing specific to these rural communities.
Girls being married off early in the north and middle-east is not enough proof of injustice...that is their culture.
Women not allowed to inherit property in some places is mostly cultural and at other times fueled by ignorance.

When it comes to social and economic equality, there really is no issue as regards Nigeria.
Both men and women are already treated equal in that regard - although women are even more likely to get favours than men, yet I don't see men complaining or the women themselves demanding equality in that aspect.

Have you interviewed any of these women to know their views?

You hear feminism/anti-feminism et al here because this is a social forum where we get to discuss.

I know you are an anti-feminist but I doubt you have ever told anyone you are one except when arguing with colleagues.
Re: Equality In Not Always Justice by bukatyne(f): 4:22pm On Oct 31, 2014
crackhaus:

You and I both know how you women misinterpret and read meanings into little things.

See what I just did there?
I'm pretty sure in your mind and in the mind of some female readers, that statement above will be taken as 'sexist'. cheesy
But am I wrong, honestly? Are women not more emotional and prone to react emotionally?
Does that mean you are inferior, or is that just what you all think men mean when they say such?

You did misinterpret me as well - I said, a man and a woman are equal as humans, but it ends there.
Pray tell, where did you get that bit in bold in your comment?

As for the level playing ground and opportunities, is there any inequality in that aspect?
Are women in Nigeria not given opportunity?

I have nothing against economic/social equality, this has to do with the law...and frankly, the law in Nigeria already favours both genders.
Unless what you Nigerian women are clamoring for are the western-type laws (marriage/civil) which actually favour women.
And if that is it, does that not now negate the idea of equality where women are treated more fairly than men?

Is this a joke?

I do not know how women misinterpret and read meaning into little things, can you teach me?
Re: Equality In Not Always Justice by Nobody: 4:29pm On Oct 31, 2014

2 Likes

Re: Equality In Not Always Justice by bukatyne(f): 4:37pm On Oct 31, 2014
Nonso23:

The emboldened not necessarily.
Can you compare the heart and the brain? which is superior? aren't they organs?
What about the pen and the sheet?

We are not equals and as crackhaus rightly pointed out, our similarity just about ends with the biological classification 'sapien'.
We cannot compare both sexes nor place any above the other. None is inferior nor superior. We complement one another.
A woman should be proud of her biological uniqueness and focus on expanding on her strengths while appreciating the biological uniqueness of the man. It's really that simple. The notion of gender equality is the product of the deep seating feeling of inferiority complex a woman develops while trying to compete with men in fields they were groomed or trained to do all their lives.

Society develops via differentiation and specialization. If women want to become men then we will eventually lose whatever we are trying to find.
Build on your femininity and leave the men to build on their masculinity. That way progress is assured.

@first bolded: LOL! All what women experienced before the advent of feminism was definitely in their imagination! The inferiority must really be 'deep seated' grin

The women that want to be come men are the transgenders grin

1 Like

Re: Equality In Not Always Justice by lilmax(m): 4:51pm On Oct 31, 2014
You guys keep saying the same thing,the same topic....una never tire?
Re: Equality In Not Always Justice by Nobody: 4:58pm On Oct 31, 2014

2 Likes

Re: Equality In Not Always Justice by crackhaus: 5:12pm On Oct 31, 2014
bukatyne:

Have you interviewed any of these women to know their views?

You hear feminism/anti-feminism et al here because this is a social forum where we get to discuss.

I know you are an anti-feminist but I doubt you have ever told anyone you are one except when arguing with colleagues.
Lol...what kind of point are you trying to make here?

Those women I listed including the powerful Nigerian women in top economic positions listed by Nashville, all hold very public positions - they are in the news all the time saying/doing one thing or the other.
If any was a feminist, we would all have known by now.

I'm sorry, but that angle you're trying to work about me interviewing them to know their views does not fly - most of their views are public knowledge, and their position gives them the required platform to be ardent supporters of feminism if they truly were.
Re: Equality In Not Always Justice by crackhaus: 5:29pm On Oct 31, 2014
bukatyne:

Is this a joke?

I do not know how women misinterpret and read meaning into little things, can you teach me?
Well I can't teach anyone how/why women do what they do even to save my own life as I'm not a woman.

However, I did type at least fifteen sentences in that post - did you pause to think why only the first sentence caught your attention and probably upset you so much you quoted the entire post just to dwell on it?

You have just reacted emotionally, hence your inability to see the other things I typed (quoted below for reference) explaining the statement and even predicting your reaction.
Don't worry, this reaction is normal with women - it does not mean you're inferior, it means you're just being the woman that you are.

I'm pretty sure in your mind and in the mind of
some female readers, that statement above will
be taken as 'sexist'.

1 Like

Re: Equality In Not Always Justice by bukatyne(f): 6:33pm On Oct 31, 2014
crackhaus:

Well I can't teach anyone how/why women do what they do even to save my own life as I'm not a woman.

However, I did type at least fifteen sentences in that post - did you pause to think why only the first sentence caught your attention and probably upset you so much you quoted the entire post just to dwell on it?

You have just reacted emotionally, hence your inability to see the other things I typed (quoted below for reference) explaining the statement and even predicting your reaction.
Don't worry, this reaction is normal with women - it does not mean you're inferior, it means you're just being the woman that you are.

After your first line, I stopped reading
Re: Equality In Not Always Justice by bukatyne(f): 6:40pm On Oct 31, 2014
crackhaus:

Lol...what kind of point are you trying to make here?

Those women I listed including the powerful Nigerian women in top economic positions listed by Nashville, all hold very public positions - they are in the news all the time saying/doing one thing or the other.
If any was a feminist, we would all have known by now.

I'm sorry, but that angle you're trying to work about me interviewing them to know their views does not fly - most of their views are public knowledge, and their position gives them the required platform to be ardent supporters of feminism if they truly were.

Really?

Until Omotola was interviewed earlier this year, I never would have known that she thinks men and women are not equal.

And why should they make their views known if they are not asked? Why should they rock the boat? Some of them are in political positions whose bread and butter depends on different type of people and you think they will limit their chances to siding with one party?

Leave feminism apart; what are their views on LGBTs? abortion? and other cntroversial subjects?

I would take what a private person says on a subject matter more seriously than a public person. Public personalities must dance to the drums of their supporters; directly or indirectly.

1 Like

Re: Equality In Not Always Justice by bukatyne(f): 6:44pm On Oct 31, 2014
Nonso23:

Please don't confuse genuine intentions of yesterday with open display of hatred that is the norm today. I do not have a problem with the fundamental concerns of the proponents of feminism, as today, they've been realized. My problem lies with the man-hate that is the singular agenda of the modern day feminists.
As for your statement about transgenders: greedy people always want the best of both worlds and lose out on both sides in the end.

BTW, answer my questions in the previous post.

I and other sane person have problems with man-hate as well.

I also have serious problems with people who insist on throwing away the baby and the bath water and argue that all feminists are bla bla bla which is the same as all men are bla bla bla

What question please?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

What 3 Qualities Should You Look For In A Prospective Wife/husband. / Husband Shocks Wife Who Wanted To Spend More Time With Her Bestfriend(video) / As A Man, Will You Pack To Your Wife's Personally Built House?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.