Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,677 members, 7,809,573 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:27 AM

Legality Of Nipost's Unreceipted 'security/handling Fees' For Online Purchases - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Legality Of Nipost's Unreceipted 'security/handling Fees' For Online Purchases (993 Views)

Liberian Man Sets Health Ministry On Fire Over Ebola Handling / How Effective Is Nigeria's NIPOST Parcel Post Ventures Currently? / Sending International Parcel Via Nipost - A Big Disaster. Watch !!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Legality Of Nipost's Unreceipted 'security/handling Fees' For Online Purchases by Busyonkwe: 5:07pm On Oct 30, 2014
Hello Nairalanders,

This is to bring to your notice a recent trend at NIPOST (with particular reference to the post office in Wuse Zone 3 Abuja because I am not sure if this is a trend at all NIPOST offices).

I am an enthusiastof of online shopping, partly due to the convenience it offers. Prior to April 2014, I had been receiving my purchased goods at the address for delivery listed in my orders but recently, rather than my items being shipped to my door as agreed and paid for, whenever the shipping method/service provider is NIPOST, the officials demand for N500.00 (Five Hundred Naira) as 'security/handling fees' despite the fact that I had paid for shipping before the vendor shipped my order and it behooves on NIPOST officials to ensure that my goods are delivered without demanding for any extra unreceipted fee. At Wuse Zone 3 NIPOST office, there is a 'Memo' pasted on the door purportedly signed by the management approving collection of the fee, however, customers are not given any receipt showing that such a fee was paid. I recently met a postal worker who confirmed to me that the money collected is being shared by the bosses.

Dear Nairalanders, I believe this is another corrupt practice and if not nipped in the bud, the officials would have the audacity to charge more money and before we know it, it would become an ingrained norm.

Please let us SPEAK OUT so that it can get to the relevant authorities.
Re: Legality Of Nipost's Unreceipted 'security/handling Fees' For Online Purchases by kolomax(m): 7:39pm On Oct 30, 2014
@least you've receive your goods..my goods has arrive 9ja since 13th of october but up till now am unable to track my goods on nipost website don't know what they ve done to my goods now
Re: Legality Of Nipost's Unreceipted 'security/handling Fees' For Online Purchases by Busyonkwe: 8:57am On Oct 31, 2014
@ Kolomax : It's such a shame that we have gotten to that stage in Nigeria. In ideal countries, heads will roll for your goods not being sent to you at the appropriate time but in Nigeria, it's a different ball game. It shouldn't be a favour that you receive your goods at when due. W really need to kick against corruption from the lower strata of our society to the apex level. May God help us in this fight against corruption.
Re: Legality Of Nipost's Unreceipted 'security/handling Fees' For Online Purchases by jerrygome: 9:29am On Nov 08, 2014
I kept hearing about this five hundred naira fee, can anyone that works in NIPOST or has a relative that works there confirm the legality of this unreceipted N500? Thanks
Re: Legality Of Nipost's Unreceipted 'security/handling Fees' For Online Purchases by VKasparov(m): 11:22am On Feb 21, 2015
I went to Yola post office recently to collect a small parcel containing a Micro SIM Adaptor (worth NGN 400) I purchased at Aliexpress and the NIPOST staff there told me that there is a circular from "above" that every NIPOST customer must henceforth pay NGN500 per parcel at the point of collection for items bought online.

I explain to them that this was a personal and not a commercial item hence even Nigeria Customs Service did not place any import duty on it. I also explained that I had already paid AliExpress shipping and handling fees for the product and that the product was not even worth up to NGN500. The staff insisted that they were only following orders.

I know that ANYTHING GOES in this country but a situation where public establishments exploit the citizenry at will, is really taking it too far.

I had written to Consumer Protection Agency and I also sent an email to Nigerian Ombudsman about similar issues of exploitation of members of the general public by some unscrupulous establishments but they did not even acknowledge receipt of my mail talk less of acting on it. I've concluded that they are too busy carving out their own share of what remains of the National cake.

I weep for my Country.

1 Like

Re: Legality Of Nipost's Unreceipted 'security/handling Fees' For Online Purchases by Busyonkwe: 11:24am On Apr 27, 2015
VKasparov:
I went to Yola post office recently to collect a small parcel containing a Micro SIM Adaptor (worth NGN 400) I purchased at Aliexpress and the NIPOST staff there told me that there is a circular from "above" that every NIPOST customer must henceforth pay NGN500 per parcel at the point of collection for items bought online.
I explain to them that this was a personal and not a commercial item hence even Nigeria Customs Service did not place any import duty on it. I also explained that I had already paid AliExpress shipping and handling fees for the product and that the product was not even worth up to NGN500. The staff insisted that they were only following orders.
I know that ANYTHING GOES in this country but a situation where public establishments exploit the citizenry at will, is really taking it too far.
I had written to Consumer Protection Agency and I also sent an email to Nigerian Ombudsman about similar issues of exploitation of members of the general public by some unscrupulous establishments but they did not even acknowledge receipt of my mail talk less of acting on it. I've concluded that they are too busy carving out their own share of what remains of the National cake.
I weep for my Country.

This is really sad. Let's hope that the new government will put a stop to the impunity of stealing by government workers. Change has come, hopefully.
Re: Legality Of Nipost's Unreceipted 'security/handling Fees' For Online Purchases by sonofmarc: 9:50am On May 16, 2015
I'd rather our reaction leans towards a more proactive approach like the writer of this trend suggest; than to passively wait in hope on the government to change things - It is only when we bring it all out into the minds of every Nigerian that the government will recognize that it is a serious matter that needs tending to. If anyone can think of a peaceful way to protest; I would gladly follow.

(1) (Reply)

Ongoing Research Work: If GEJ/PEJ And GMB/BAT Enter Ring To Fight, Who Go Win? / Marriage Is Scam! Its Just Mere Certification Of Promiscuity! / Today Is Pst Chris Oyakhilome 51st Birthday Celebration.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.