Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,576 members, 7,770,511 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 11:17 AM

A Look at Leadership from an Islamic Perspective - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / A Look at Leadership from an Islamic Perspective (12587 Views)

Ways To Please Your Wife (islamic Perspective) / An Islamic Perspective On The Illuminati (A Must Read by All Muslims) / Boy Or Girl Child, Which Is Better? - An Islamic Perspective (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Look at Leadership from an Islamic Perspective by lanrexlan(m): 10:47pm On Oct 30, 2014
INTRODUCTION:

Leadership is a position one can attain at one point or the other in life. During such period he/she becomes the leader who must lead his/her people aright in their economic, social and spiritual with calmness and in a secured environment. There are positions and there are positions! Some positions of leadership are more demanding than others depending on the magnitude of the subjects under control, type of services required, the orientation and principle of the people.

Such task at any level is demanding. It is
such an onerous work that needs both the consent of Allah and man for true success, that which will bring the sincere praise and prayer of man and the acceptance and blessing of Allah. Leadership therefore by its foundation may be clear or cloudy, straight or warp, easy or demanding respectable or disgraceful, depending on the ideology of such a leader.

By all means, one must avoid the kind of leadership that incurs people’s curse and Allah’s wrath.

PRECEPT FOR THE MUSLIMS:

Islam is a way of life in the sense that it set the best precept and principle for whatever thing one wants to do or what one wants to become. This is either a clear-cut injunction from Allah or a relayed sample from the life of Prophet Muhammad(SAW) or his immediate companions. And leadership is not exemption.
The Prophet instructed his followers:“Do not exaggerate my position in praise of me as the Christians did with the son of Mary, for I am only the slave of Allah, so call me slave of Allah and His messenger” (Bukhari).

He didn’t want vain glory and prevented his followers from becoming sycophants. He also said:“One who deceives is not one of us”(Trimidhi). “…treat well those who treat you badly, and speak the truth even against yourself” (Ibn Najjar).

He cherished justice, truth and encouraged forgiveness. “Be in this world as if you are a stranger or a way farer” (Bukhari).
He restricted accumulation of material wealth. These are some of what he said and what became his principles by which, he acted and for the very reason he was nick-named Al- Amin (The Trustworthy), even by the Pagans before he became a Prophet!

Among Abu Bakr first statement on mounting the pulpit as the first caliphate after the Prophet was:“O People! I have been given office although I am not the best among you. If I did well, support me and if I deviated rectify me. Truthfulness is a deposit and lying is treason. The weak person among you is strong with me till I restore his right and the strong person among you is weak with me till I take what he has usurped…obey me as long as I obey Allah…”

Showing that, he saw leadership as a privilege not a birth-right or as the only person fit or who merit the post and he stood for justice and truthfulness. Abu Musa and two of his brothers went to the Prophet, and the brothers requested the Prophet to make them the heads of certain communities. The Prophet said unto them: ‘he who covets for a post shall not be granted the post” (Muslim).

Meaning that public post should not be coveted or be ‘a do or die’ affair. Even a sensible ‘born leader’ or ‘natural leader’ must not think no other exists. It is at best if attained by right and credible way. These are enough guidance and excellent models for Muslims at every level of leadership - Q33: 21.

29 Likes 6 Shares

Re: A Look at Leadership from an Islamic Perspective by lanrexlan(m): 10:56pm On Oct 30, 2014
ITS SCOPE:

A Muslim must let both the spiritual teachings and moral principles of Islam on leadership interest and influence him/her tremendously, because that is where one’s eminence lies! By the fact of this Prophetic statement:“Take care! Each of you is a shepherd and each of you shall be asked concerning his flock: a leader is a shepherd over his people and he shall be asked concerning his flock, and a women is a shepherd over the house of her husband and over his children and she shall be asked concerning them; and the slave of a man is a shepherd over the substance of his master and he shall be asked concerning it. Take care then each of you is a shepherd and each of you shall be asked concerning his flock” (Muslim).

It means leadership role is an inevitable position for everybody irrespective of age or gender, educated or illiterate, rich or poor, influential or unknown person. At any period of ones’ life, one assumes a status of leadership! Imam, governor, parliamentarian, union leader, community head, team leader, senior at work, elder, school prefect, father, mother, brother, sister, manager, master, chairman of society, are all leaders with specific roles.

It could occur that the led at a place is a leader at another place at the same period. You can be a member of a society and be the president or holding key post of another one. An employee of a company or government establishment can be director of his own private business. Everybody is a leader at his own level! The Prophet has said: “Take care! Each of you is a shepherd and each of you shall be asked concerning his flock…”

ITS IMPLICATION AND FOUNDATION:

If the above is so, a child must be trained towards this inevitable life challenges of being a leader and a matured man must brace up and prepare himself for the challenges of every situation he/she finds himself/ herself as a leader at any level and period of life.

Parents cannot make their children good and true leaders by bequeathing wealth to them. Neither can you as a child attained true leadership through abundant inheritance.
No! It lies not in the status of ones parents but individual build-up, more importantly as a Muslim, on piety. This is so in that we’ve seen Prophets whose parents, wives, children or relatives failed to benefit from the perfect and true leadership status of their man!

But remember the first person pronounced by Allah as leader- Ibrahim(AS), was on piety: “And when his Lord tried Ibrahim with certain commands which he fulfilled. He (Allah) said, I will make you a leader of man. Ibrahim asked, ‘and what about from my offspring?’ He (Allah) said, ‘my covenant does not embrace the transgressor” Q2:124.

Meaning that non-pious man cannot make a true leader! Piety is the true driving force for good leadership due to the necessity of obeisance to one’s Lord and perception of grand accountability.

18 Likes 4 Shares

Re: A Look at Leadership from an Islamic Perspective by lanrexlan(m): 11:12pm On Oct 30, 2014
THE EXPECTED:

The simple assertion of the Prophet that: “A leader of my people is their servant!” (Bukhari) says everything that a leader is servant and servant is leader! Therefore whether domestic servant, public servant, civil servant, or what have you, obedience, truthfulness, humility, dedication, flexibility, love, mercy and justice in service are vital characteristics and very germane to good leadership, smooth governance and peaceful co-existence of the society as well as providing for the wellbeing of the led and relatively physical and spiritual security. If embarassed

It means that as a Muslim who is conscious that he is a leader and acts as ambassador of his Lord at every place and period of his life (Q2: 30), he must exhibit the exemplary habit to prove he believes in Allah and that Prophet- Muhammad(SAW) he is following is his mentor.
More so, the inevitable grand accountability of how one managed his subordinates and material that are directly or indirectly in his/her control. Prophet Muhammad (SAW) was a perfect model of what must be one’s role as a leader when Allah says of him: “Surely, a messenger has come unto you from among yourselves; grievous to him is that you should fall into trouble; he is ardently desirous of your welfare and to the believers, he is compassionate, merciful” Q9: 128.

So take lesson! More importantly justice is an integral part of leadership. It is animals that have no justice discretion not man (Q91: 7-cool. An unjust man especially Muslim is as good as his pet and brute! For this reason Allah has ordered: “O you who believe! Be strict in observing justice and be witness for Allah, even though it be against yourselves or your parents and kindred. Whether he be rich or poor. Allah is more regardful of them both than you are. Therefore follow not low desires so that you may be able to act equitably. And if you evade or conceal the truth, then remember that Allah is well aware of what you do”Q4: 135.

And truth is justice and justice is truth! Allah calls on all leaders of public offices as He called on Prophet Dawud: “O Dawud, We have made you a vicegerent in this earth, so judge between men with truth, and follow not vain desire, lest it should lead you astray from the way of Allah. Surely those who go astray from the way of Allah will have a severe punishment because they forgot the Day of Accountability” Q38: 26.

Leadership accountability should be a concern for everybody because it the ultimate. Remember the Prophet said: “Take care! Each of you is a shepherd and each of you shall be asked concerning his flock…”(Muslim).
As managers would give accounts to the directors likewise everyone would give grand account to Allah. It is therefore advisable to take good account of yourself, weigh your word before you speak, consider your decision before taking action, correct your faulty deeds. Make things easy for people not exploiting them.

THE CONSEQUENCE

Good leadership life makes one enjoy peace of mind, confidence, progress, free from fear, well respected by the people and hope of salvation. Unjust Muslim is a travesty of humanity, a disgrace to his faith and himself, reason why the Prophet said: “A just unbeliever is by far better than unjust Muslim!” (Bukhari).

Never should you expect pious, just leader and corrupt, unjust one to share the same fate and merit on earth and in the heaven. This is one of the importance of accountability and judgment. Allah says: “Shall We treat those who believe and work deeds of righteousness, the same as those who do mischief on earth? Shall We treat those who guard against evil the same as those who turn aside from the right” Q38: 28.The

Prophet finally capped it all saying: “He who is assigned some affairs of the Muslims then he does not care for them as he cares for his own family, let him have his seat in Fire” Bukhari.

To fail in ones’ leadership role on earth is tantamount to heavenly failure, it is a great disaster! Hence, mind how you rule over your subjects! May Allah help you. Amin!

RION NIGERIA

26 Likes 7 Shares

Re: A Look at Leadership from an Islamic Perspective by Abuklaw(m): 12:22am On Oct 31, 2014
This is educating lanrexlan. Leadership quality is an attribute Muslims should try to have. The prophet SAW is an paradigm of what. Leader and leadership is.

9 Likes

Re: A Look at Leadership from an Islamic Perspective by maclatunji: 6:39am On Oct 31, 2014
An excellent piece, may Allah reward the OP for sharing.

7 Likes

Re: A Look at Leadership from an Islamic Perspective by lanrexlan(m): 6:57am On Oct 31, 2014
Abuklaw:
This is educating lanrexlan. Leadership quality is an attribute Muslims should try to have. The prophet SAW is an paradigm of what. Leader and leadership is.
The Qu'ran says it all in Surah Al-Ahzab 33:21 -Indeed in the Messenger of Allâh (Muhammad SAW) you have a good example to follow for him who hopes for (the Meeting with) Allâh and the Last Day and remembers Allâh much..When I read the sayings of the Prophet(pbuh),the sayings of prominent sahabas like Abu Bakr As-Siddiq,Ali Ibn Abi Talib,Abdullah Ibn Abbass and many more(May Allah be pleased with them all),I found out that their quotes are even more inspirational than the ones we are longing for.

Seriously,everything to live a successful life has been displayed by our beloved Prophet(pbuh) but the onus is on we muslims to follow.May Allah make the Deen easy for us all and makes us better muslims(Amiin).

maclatunji:
May Allah reward us all dear brother.

6 Likes

Re: A Look at Leadership from an Islamic Perspective by kunlesehan(m): 11:26am On Oct 31, 2014
maclatunji:

3 Likes

Re: A Look at Leadership from an Islamic Perspective by tintingz(m): 11:37am On Oct 31, 2014
interesting.
Re: A Look at Leadership from an Islamic Perspective by tmayusuf: 12:00pm On Oct 31, 2014
lanrexlan:
INTRODUCTION:

Leadership is a position one can attain at one point or the other in life. During such period he/she becomes the leader who must lead his/her people aright in their economic, social and spiritual with calmness and in a secured environment. There are positions and there are positions! Some positions of leadership are more demanding than others depending on the magnitude of the subjects under control, type of services required, the orientation and principle of the people.

Such task at any level is demanding. It is
such an onerous work that needs both the consent of Allah and man for true success, that which will bring the sincere praise and prayer of man and the acceptance and blessing of Allah. Leadership therefore by its foundation may be clear or cloudy, straight or warp, easy or demanding respectable or disgraceful, depending on the ideology of such a leader.

By all means, one must avoid the kind of leadership that incurs people’s curse and Allah’s wrath.

PRECEPT FOR THE MUSLIMS:

Islam is a way of life in the sense that it set the best precept and principle for whatever thing one wants to do or what one wants to become. This is either a clear-cut injunction from Allah or a relayed sample from the life of Prophet Muhammad(SAW) or his immediate companions. And leadership is not exemption.
The Prophet instructed his followers:“Do not exaggerate my position in praise of me as the Christians did with the son of Mary, for I am only the slave of Allah, so call me slave of Allah and His messenger” (Bukhari).

He didn’t want vain glory and prevented his followers from becoming sycophants. He also said:“One who deceives is not one of us”(Trimidhi). “…treat well those who treat you badly, and speak the truth even against yourself” (Ibn Najjar).

He cherished justice, truth and encouraged forgiveness. “Be in this world as if you are a stranger or a way farer” (Bukhari).
He restricted accumulation of material wealth. These are some of what he said and what became his principles by which, he acted and for the very reason he was nick-named Al- Amin (The Trustworthy), even by the Pagans before he became a Prophet!

Among Abu Bakr first statement on mounting the pulpit as the first caliphate after the Prophet was:“O People! I have been given office although I am not the best among you. If I did well, support me and if I deviated rectify me. Truthfulness is a deposit and lying is treason. The weak person among you is strong with me till I restore his right and the strong person among you is weak with me till I take what he has usurped…obey me as long as I obey Allah…”

Showing that, he saw leadership as a privilege not a birth-right or as the only person fit or who merit the post and he stood for justice and truthfulness. Abu Musa and two of his brothers went to the Prophet, and the brothers requested the Prophet to make them the heads of certain communities. The Prophet said unto them: ‘he who covets for a post shall not be granted the post” (Muslim).

Meaning that public post should not be coveted or be ‘a do or die’ affair. Even a sensible ‘born leader’ or ‘natural leader’ must not think no other exists. It is at best if attained by right and credible way. These are enough guidance and excellent models for Muslims at every level of leadership - Q33: 21.
Re: A Look at Leadership from an Islamic Perspective by jiddodo: 12:08pm On Oct 31, 2014
tintingz:
interesting.

Very very

1 Like

Re: A Look at Leadership from an Islamic Perspective by alabosian(m): 12:18pm On Oct 31, 2014
Eye opening. I love it all.

1 Like

Re: A Look at Leadership from an Islamic Perspective by maryam6(f): 12:18pm On Oct 31, 2014
tnx op. pls lets respect, luv, pray nd stop critisizing our leaders uneccesarily.

2 Likes

Re: A Look at Leadership from an Islamic Perspective by Nobody: 12:20pm On Oct 31, 2014
Op may Allah reward you.
If only how leaders can read this.

1 Like

Re: A Look at Leadership from an Islamic Perspective by Nobody: 1:00pm On Oct 31, 2014
Mashaa Allah!
Re: A Look at Leadership from an Islamic Perspective by readonenaire(m): 1:01pm On Oct 31, 2014
If every leader abide by this declaration, the world would really become a better place

O People! I have been given office although I am not the best among you. If I did well, support me and if I deviated rectify me. Truthfulness is a deposit and lying is treason. The weak person among you is strong with me till I restore his right and the strong person among you is weak with me till I take what he has usurped…obey me as long as I obey Allah…”

3 Likes

Re: A Look at Leadership from an Islamic Perspective by BUSHHUNTER: 1:42pm On Oct 31, 2014
Allah Akbar!
Re: A Look at Leadership from an Islamic Perspective by laurentunt: 2:02pm On Oct 31, 2014
Nice post
May Allah Reward the author and The Readers Abundantly
(Ameen)

1 Like

Re: A Look at Leadership from an Islamic Perspective by Ahmed4002(m): 2:32pm On Oct 31, 2014
Allahu akbar. Jazakallahu khairam Op.
may Allah accept our ibadat. Jumaat kareem to the entire Muslim ummah of Nl.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Look at Leadership from an Islamic Perspective by AlBaqir(m): 2:45pm On Oct 31, 2014
Excellent piece there @lanrexlan.

1 Like

Re: A Look at Leadership from an Islamic Perspective by muyeeoo(m): 3:00pm On Oct 31, 2014
"why the Prophet said: “A just unbeliever is by far better than unjust Muslim!” (Bukhari)"

PDP, APC and the rest of die hard muslim politicians.

beware

3 Likes

Re: A Look at Leadership from an Islamic Perspective by udemedia: 3:25pm On Oct 31, 2014
lipsrsealed
Re: A Look at Leadership from an Islamic Perspective by Nobody: 3:56pm On Oct 31, 2014
Jazakallah khair

1 Like

Re: A Look at Leadership from an Islamic Perspective by baye2023(m): 4:59pm On Oct 31, 2014
Op can i share this?
Re: A Look at Leadership from an Islamic Perspective by hybeenoni: 5:46pm On Oct 31, 2014
' A Just Unbeliever is by far better than an Unjust Muslim'
That rilli got me thinking
Excellent post @ Op
Re: A Look at Leadership from an Islamic Perspective by abuabdrahman(m): 6:53pm On Oct 31, 2014
Verily dis is a reminder!... Ma sha Allah!

1 Like

Re: A Look at Leadership from an Islamic Perspective by kazmanbanjoko(m): 7:21pm On Oct 31, 2014
Nice writeup.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Look at Leadership from an Islamic Perspective by PENMIGHT(m): 8:00pm On Oct 31, 2014
Now, how can someone read all these and still think democracy, as practiced in Nigeria or elsewhere, is the panacea to leadership problem humanity faces.

How can a muslim read all these and still vie for political offices in the present corrupt terrain of politics in this country?

Abstinence from this non-conforming system of governance is the best decision a Muslim can take because it is surely in contrary to Allah's dictate.

Every bit of this post suggests that leadership is not a pleasure but a burden for its seeker in this world and hereafter.

May Allaah reward the OP.

6 Likes

Re: A Look at Leadership from an Islamic Perspective by lanrexlan(m): 8:31pm On Oct 31, 2014
baye2023:
Op can i share this?
Feel Free dear brother,may Allah reward us all.

1 Like

Re: A Look at Leadership from an Islamic Perspective by Matin: 8:57pm On Oct 31, 2014
Alhamdulilah for this piece. May Allah reward u and all of us.
Re: A Look at Leadership from an Islamic Perspective by baye2023(m): 9:18pm On Oct 31, 2014
lanrexlan:
Feel Free dear brother,may Allah reward us all.

Ameen thumma Ameen

1 Like

Re: A Look at Leadership from an Islamic Perspective by Mubarack44(m): 10:01pm On Oct 31, 2014
Allahu akbar may Almigty Allah reward u abundatly OP.......... And may Allah bless us with people like you. In our already currupt country Nigeria

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Jumah Kareem, Jumah Mubarak, Is It Haraam? / Clear Error In The Qur'an: God Could Not Make Such A Mistake / Ruling On One Who Reads Qur’aan But Does Not Pray

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.