Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,264 members, 7,818,893 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:32 AM

Interesting Facts About The Igbo People - Culture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Interesting Facts About The Igbo People (66032 Views)

Seven Interesting Facts About The Ancient Yoruba Culture / Interesting Facts About The Urhobo People Of Delta State / Common Beautiful Names From The Igbo Tribe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Interesting Facts About The Igbo People by Deltagiant: 6:08pm On Jan 05, 2015
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCyIiyOLV3o

IGBO NDIOMA! BEAUTIFUL PEOPLE!
Re: Interesting Facts About The Igbo People by Nobody: 6:10pm On Jan 05, 2015
So Nigerians hate Igbos this much?

Wow!
Re: Interesting Facts About The Igbo People by abdulll6afh(m): 6:10pm On Jan 05, 2015
Can somebody tell me why do igbo people likemoney morethan anything in their live they can do anything becose of money even killing
Re: Interesting Facts About The Igbo People by yaqub07: 6:11pm On Jan 05, 2015
[quote author=1shortblackboy post=27660456]Did any of u guys sEe part where d writer said some igbo slaves walked on water back to Afica. Was he being serious or joking ?[/quote he is just making things easy for the reader
Re: Interesting Facts About The Igbo People by Yorubarocks: 6:12pm On Jan 05, 2015
What a useless post filled with useless conjectures.The iibos never cease to amaze me with their never ending cheastbeating and land-grabbing tendencies.

Keep living in self delusion

4 Likes

Re: Interesting Facts About The Igbo People by lacasera14(m): 6:12pm On Jan 05, 2015
Aldrickay:

Wooooow so you are ikwerre. I neva tot i could meet my broda here in on Nairaland. Are u on whatsapp? Send me ur digits. Tnx.
also glad to meet a broda here whatsapp me on 08176538870
Re: Interesting Facts About The Igbo People by Daguccizgreat(m): 6:14pm On Jan 05, 2015
jingh:
is dere a different between our word ? or you re high on raw cassava ?
grin grin grin babe. Easy naa. U did not get his point. He was trying to elaborate more on wot u said. Your comment got me rolling
Re: Interesting Facts About The Igbo People by kavey10(m): 6:14pm On Jan 05, 2015
Na Igbo man write this article no doubt. It's just too obvious. His sentiments sold him out. Pity!

1 Like

Re: Interesting Facts About The Igbo People by ElekeNtioba: 6:15pm On Jan 05, 2015
herinolah:
Nice post....but dat still won't make me like dem
Igbo people are so so desperate for money..80% is ritual,15% prostitution and making fake things just 5% is clean money from hardwork

And they have some stupid cultures dat should not be heard of..maybe because most of them are not literate...they nearly killed my sis when she got married to an igbo guy..

They got married 2007 but the guy didn't take her home even after 4 kids,my sis should av suspected that there must be something wrong with his family..but she was thinking maybe he is "akudaya"..so she pestered him to take her home..when they got to the place she was welcomed grandly..they had a great feast for her and her kids..then they gave her money to go and buy something from the market,when she got there she started pricing things she wanted to buy..as an ijebu woman she can price ehn,she got to a place and just spoke her language she said (urun ma won bewe)things are costly here oo ..dat was when an ijebu lady dat came to sell things there asked her what she was doing there dat there is a mark on her and the mark is given to any lady they want 2 kill. she explained everything to her and the lady helped her escape...she got a divorce when the guy came back with just 2kids

Then he explained everything to her,dat it is their culture(can u imagine what kind of stupid culture is dat)..dats y he didn't want 2 take her home

Av never heard a good story about igbos,only bad and scary ones,

Igbos ehn I dislike them like shit,I hardly make friends with them,they scare me..they can do anything 4 money

nice story...which part of igboland is dat?
Re: Interesting Facts About The Igbo People by Deltagiant: 6:17pm On Jan 05, 2015
ElekeNtioba:

I'm of the opinion that the Ikwerre ARE NOT Igbos.

Of course, i dont have any physical or material evidence to point to.

But looking at the relations between them and considering how agressive Igbo expansion is, its safe to say dat d ikwerre were originally a non-Igbo speaking tribe assimilated through interactions and inter-marriage.

Secondly, d nature of the Ikwerre is distinct from Igbos. They lack moral fibre, are spineless, and downright lazy. Which explains why the Igbos assimilated them with ease leaving no record whatsoever of their original language.

The reason why they chose to separate themselves is because they are still bitter over the loss of their original identity. Deep down they know they are nothing like Igbos and so are afraid of Igbo domination.

Their defence makes no sense when the Benin man they claimed led them out of Benin was an Igbo by name AKALAKA - Destiny.
Even the Akalaka's father was also Igbo by name IHURUOHA or IHUOHA meaning face of the community or people. All their assertions leads to a dead end. Pity.

4 Likes

Re: Interesting Facts About The Igbo People by Balkan(m): 6:17pm On Jan 05, 2015
lacasera14:
Hehe, i don't know where the Op and the main Op got there info from. Am an ikwerre boy from rivers state as far as am concerned am not an igbo man and i'll never be, same to my children and even to my 10th generation. The igbo's should get this into their head and wrap it well, we a'int part of you guys what is hard there to understand. K, fine we were once with you guys but things went south(biafra war) and we gained our independence,chased, disowned, and severed ties with you guys so let us be. Why our forefathers did this i don't know but am pretty sure it was for our good. So when we say we are not igbos leave us alone else it might precipitate an unhealthy situation. So get that history of yours about ikwerre's being part of igbo and shove it up your bottoms.
Proudly Ikwerre
Proudly A PH BOY
Proudly Rivers- The oil and gas hub of Africa's most populous nation grin
I am an Igbo man. We really do not worry about Ikwerre as a people. The migrated from Benin. What we are saying is that the land Ikwerres are staying now is an Igbo territory and we are claiming it back. Not by force but by strategic buying. Buy the time we finish buying we shall send you back to Benin where you belong ok. Their will be total annihilation of your people this 2015 that the whole Nigeria will split.

8 Likes

Re: Interesting Facts About The Igbo People by yaqub07: 6:17pm On Jan 05, 2015
ANAMBRA11:
Mtsshew ! this is not the issue at hand -
[size=48pt] buhari show
us your
certificate now!!![/size]
an Educate illetrate will always like to cross the road without looking right and left (buhari) only is not a name so be specific!
Re: Interesting Facts About The Igbo People by zendy: 6:19pm On Jan 05, 2015
lacasera14:
Hehe, i don't know where the Op and the main Op got there info from. Am an ikwerre boy from rivers state as far as am concerned am not an igbo man and i'll never be, same to my children and even to my 10th generation. The igbo's should get this into their head and wrap it well, we a'int part of you guys what is hard there to understand. K, fine we were once with you guys but things went south(biafra war) and we gained our independence,chased, disowned, and severed ties with you guys so let us be. Why our forefathers did this i don't know but am pretty sure it was for our good. So when we say we are not igbos leave us alone else it might precipitate an unhealthy situation. So get that history of yours about ikwerre's being part of igbo and shove it up your bottoms.
Proudly Ikwerre
Proudly A PH BOY
Proudly Rivers- The oil and gas hub of Africa's most populous nation grin

Only problem with this is that you Ikwere people bear Igbo names and speak the Igbo language so the Ikwere nation has to explain to Igbos how and why they 'stole' the Igbo language,names and culture. The "Ogbakor Ikwere", where did you people get "Ogbakor" from? So Chibuike Amaechi told you people you are not Igbo while answering to a name like his? Also,I want someone to ask the Eze Ikwere where he got "Eze" from. Another devious thing about the Ikwere's is that they only remember they are not Igbo's when they are in Portharcourt. As soon as they travel to other places like Lagos and Abuja that has a large Igbo population,they blend in with the Igbos so as not to seen as a 'minority'.

9 Likes

Re: Interesting Facts About The Igbo People by Sheggy13(m): 6:23pm On Jan 05, 2015
But, because of the fact that they are very hardworking, ambitious, and not afraid to live anywhere, or take up any task, they tend to be resented by their less ambitious and successful neighbors or hosts.

Why can't this person just talk about the Igbos without trying to belittle other tribes.. So the people that host Igbos are less ambitious and successful people? What an insult on people from all states and communities where Igbos migrated to.
Re: Interesting Facts About The Igbo People by Truckpusher(m): 6:25pm On Jan 05, 2015
Re: Interesting Facts About The Igbo People by Simplicityike: 6:25pm On Jan 05, 2015
Igbo bu EZE which means ibo's are Kings

1 Like

Re: Interesting Facts About The Igbo People by Nickymezor(f): 6:27pm On Jan 05, 2015
Wat a cool write up OP... Ndi igbo kwenu!!!
Re: Interesting Facts About The Igbo People by Aldrickay: 6:30pm On Jan 05, 2015
ElekeNtioba:

I'm of the opinion that the Ikwerre ARE NOT Igbos.

Of course, i dont have any physical or material evidence to point to.

But looking at the relations between them and considering how agressive Igbo expansion is, its safe to say dat d ikwerre were originally a non-Igbo speaking tribe assimilated through interactions and inter-marriage.

Secondly, d nature of the Ikwerre is distinct from Igbos. They lack moral fibre, are spineless, and downright lazy. Which explains why the Igbos assimilated them with ease leaving no record whatsoever of their original language.

The reason why they chose to separate themselves is because they are still bitter over the loss of their original identity. Deep down they know they are nothing like Igbos and so are afraid of Igbo domination.

Tanks man. But ikwerre language has nt bin completely eradicated.
The only tin dat was affected is our language 40%
Our culture stil remains.
Re: Interesting Facts About The Igbo People by Nobody: 6:31pm On Jan 05, 2015
very educative,it's always good to know your roots.
Re: Interesting Facts About The Igbo People by Nobody: 6:32pm On Jan 05, 2015
kellystech:
you quoted the whole text just to write interesting, you really need to see tb Joshua

Back to the mata, why do u guys (ibos) always claim whats not yours. The ikwerres have always said the are not part of u even from the time of our fore fathers and you guys keep insisting, are you guys claiming the people as yours or the reproductive nature of their habitats (land, oil etc) cos all my life I've known ibos to be greedy.now come to think of this, the edos have similarities in culture to the yorubas but I've not seen them laying claim to the edos.for crying out loud we are all nigerians and there will be similarities in culture but that does not make me one of ur tribe
Ikwerre people speak a dialect of Igbo and bear Igbo names. That makes them as much Igbo as Anioma people, or even Igbos from Ebonyi.
Edo is very distinct from Yoruba in culture, language and everything. And talking about claiming other people groups, do Youbas not claim the part of Kogi that speaks Yoruba? As a matter of fact, Musiwa claims the whole Kogi state as part of Oduduwa kingdom.

3 Likes

Re: Interesting Facts About The Igbo People by Daguccizgreat(m): 6:33pm On Jan 05, 2015
seedorfg:
Why are the ibo like beaten there chest why do ibo body ( man,woman) full of hair like monkey
illiterate and demented fool talking bad abt ibos. Go bak to primary school and learn how to make grammatical construction. Dull head

3 Likes

Re: Interesting Facts About The Igbo People by Nobody: 6:34pm On Jan 05, 2015
WORLDPEACE:

Nigerians generally don't know African history. The military during their era systematically killed the study of history. ninety percent of readers who saw your post will wonder what gibberish you are saying.
Great disservice to the people.
Re: Interesting Facts About The Igbo People by mazzi: 6:35pm On Jan 05, 2015
donmalcolm21:
Nice thread. Please don't take the poster above me serious, he is my neighbours 15yrs old son who uses the internet when his parents are not around.
lolz.guy u funny die! Igbo di mma
Re: Interesting Facts About The Igbo People by ElekeNtioba: 6:36pm On Jan 05, 2015
Truckpusher:
Port Harcourt now part of Igbo land?.....smh

When you constantly feed your children with lies they are bound to make the same mistake that killed you.

phucking mọron....your pple surfaced only when Igbos were down. Where were they when d Igbos from the pre-colonial days (to the Michael Okpara regime) built the city. Your chicken-shít memory cant remember dat areas in PH where once prefixed with Umu- not d present Rumu-. Idiọtic revisionist.

Lazy rẹtards feeding fat on other pples hardwork. If not for oil i wonder what ur pples predicament would be by now.

5 Likes

Re: Interesting Facts About The Igbo People by Nobody: 6:36pm On Jan 05, 2015
Very interesting compilation by this author.
I learnt a great deal from it. Igbo Kwezuenooooo!!!
Re: Interesting Facts About The Igbo People by Nobody: 6:39pm On Jan 05, 2015
[quote
author=Yorubarocks post=29518260]What a useless post filled with
useless conjectures.The iibos never cease to amaze me with their never
ending cheastbeating and land-grabbing tendencies.

Keep living in self delusion[/quote]
How old are you?
Re: Interesting Facts About The Igbo People by Truckpusher(m): 6:40pm On Jan 05, 2015
ElekeNtioba:

phucking mọron....your pple surfaced only when Igbos were down. Where were they when d Igbos from the pre-colonial days (to the Michael Okpara regime) built the city. Your chicken-shit memory cant remember dat areas in PH where once prefixed with Umu- not d present Rumu-. Idiọtic revionist.

Lazy rẹtards feeding fat on other pples hardwork. If not for oil i wonder what ur pples predicament would be by now.

Who's this rabid dog? undecided

2 Likes

Re: Interesting Facts About The Igbo People by ElekeNtioba: 6:41pm On Jan 05, 2015
Aldrickay:

Tanks man. But ikwerre language has nt bin completely eradicated.
The only tin dat was affected is our language 40%
Our culture stil remains.

did u actually read my entire post??. Sorry but I wasnt paying ur pple any compliments.

1 Like

Re: Interesting Facts About The Igbo People by Nobody: 6:41pm On Jan 05, 2015
chatupkay:

@OP,
Honestly, Igbo's are hard working people with strong business acumen!
However, it's ridiculous and laughable to hear when igbo's say LAGOS IS NO MAN'S LAND!

if this is true, then i wonder why they pay d YORUBA OMO-ONILEs for every land the buy here in lagos!

Chai! .... dia ris Goduuuooooooo

Why do you people find it hard to understand what that "no man's land" means? It doesn't mean that no tribe has it's people as indigenes of Lagos. Of course, even a newborn baby knows that Lagosians are Yorubas.
That statement simply implies that Lagos is what it is today not because of any particular tribe, but based on the collective efforts of Nigerians from various tribes and also as a result of investment made in Lagos from our national wealth.
If Lagos is what it is just because of Yorubas, how come no other south western state can boast of nearly a third of the population, infrastructure, development and wealth of Lagos, despite that Lagos is the smallest in land mass?

8 Likes

Re: Interesting Facts About The Igbo People by Dannidom(m): 6:43pm On Jan 05, 2015
babosky2008:
u missed so many points abt d igbos....they are the greatest drug traffickers in d world....greatest kidnappers in Nigeria. ....greatest pirates in d world. ....greatest ritualists in d world....great armed robbers in Nigeria. .....greatest traitors in Nigeria. ...greatest tresspassers in Nigeria. ....greatest 419ners in d world. ....greatest fraudulent pple in d world. ....u missed all dz...
I tel u ma broda this is our bad side and as u listd we are only but the best in our bad wait til u see our good side nuting but the greatest
Re: Interesting Facts About The Igbo People by Aldrickay: 6:45pm On Jan 05, 2015
Balkan:
I am an Igbo man. We really do not worry about Ikwerre as a people. The migrated from Benin. What we are saying is that the land Ikwerres are staying now is an Igbo territory and we are claiming it back. Not by force but by strategic buying. Buy the time we finish buying we shall send you back to Benin where you belong ok. Their will be total annihilation of your people this 2015 that the whole Nigeria will split.

I speak as an ikwerre man.
Look let me tell u. Niger delta republic was d 1st republic to b decleared in nigeria in 1966 feb.23rd..even before the so call biafra if you dnt know.(google isaac boro declearation)

Port harcourt was the capital take note.

Continue buying lands but note: we shall chase u igbos out as we did during the biafran war. If u tink Port harcourt and obio/apkor local govt is the only ikwerre local govt den ur reali a fool. be ready to face both ph local govt obio/apkor,emouha and ikwerre local govt wich i knw u igbos cn neva eva do in ur life.

If u tink d ikwerre are alone den u lie.

The ogonis,epkeye,ogbas,etches all parts of rivers are with us.

Keep on buying lands, we the ikwerres are laughing at u because u pple are nt wise. We are nt fools. Wen d tym comes we shall chase u nd collect our lands bak, as we did b4.

The igbos are nt wise bt greedy,selfish and big fools.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

Kayanmata: What I Observed At Abuja International Tradefair / The Rift Between African-Americans And Recent African Immigrants To The US / List Of 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.