Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,146 members, 7,815,016 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 04:50 AM

Is Smoking Cigarettes A Sin? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is Smoking Cigarettes A Sin? (2025 Views)

Is Smoking A Sin? / Pastor Chris Oyakhilome- self-service Is Not A Sin. / Is Fornication Really A Sin? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Smoking Cigarettes A Sin? by lalasticlala(m): 8:33pm On Nov 01, 2014
Will a Christian who has been born again be lost if they don’t stop smoking? Is it sin for a Christian to smoke? If a Christian smokes, does it mean they really aren’t saved? Is smoking and being a Christian incompatible?
--------
The Definition of Sin

The Bible gives us the proper definition of sin. It does not come from human beings or human opinions. If you watch today’s talk shows, you can see just how far human opinions can deviate from the Word of God; therefore a biblical definition of sin is accurate since it is a definition from God Himself.
In First John 3:4, the apostle gives us the proper definition of sin, “Everyone who sins breaks the law; in fact, sin is lawlessness.” This means that every human that has ever lived has sins and continues to sin. So we are all in big trouble since we all have and will continue to sin in this life. Jesus is the only human who never sinned. He was both man and God and lived a perfect live. Consequently, this is why Jesus made the perfect sacrifice because He was without blemish and the only perfect One that ever lived. His death reconciled humans to God. But only those who believe in Him are the ones reconciled to God (Acts16:30-31).
Sin leads to death as James says in 1:15, “Then, after desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and sin, when it is full-grown, gives birth to death.” The wages or what we earn from sin is death (Romans 6:23). But whoever believes in Jesus Christ is saved from the penalty of sin (John 3:16). Since all have sinned and fallen short of God’s standard, every human is in big trouble (Romans 3:23).

What Saves Us From Sin?

Humans are unable to save themselves. Paul quotes Isaiah when he tells us about human efforts to save themselves by works, “All of us have become like one who is unclean, and all our righteous acts are like filthy rags; we all shrivel up like a leaf, and like the wind our sins sweep us away“(Isaiah 64:6). Paul clarifies it in Romans 11:6, “And if by grace, then it cannot be based on works; if it were, grace would no longer be grace.” Any attempt to save ourselves by works is self-righteousness and God will not accept our own works because they are not sufficient. It is only those who believe in Jesus Christ that are saved from the penalty of sin (John 3:16).

Our best efforts to overcome will never save us. Holiness is not the way to Jesus; Jesus is the way to holiness. There is only one way to salvation that is only in Jesus Christ (Acts 4:12).

Famous Christians Who Smoked

There is a veritable who’s who list of Christians who smoked. One of the greatest preachers and evangelists of the 19th century loved his cigars. He was Charles Spurgeon. Other famous Christians whosmoked or still do are J.R.R. Tolkien, C.S. Lewis, Chuck Colson, Johann Sebastian Bach, Billy Graham,and Jerry Farwell (although the last two quit in their latter years). This article has addressed all types of tobacco: cigarettes, pipe, cigar, snuff, and chewing tobacco.

The same questions could be asked about drinking beer, or wine, or eating pork, or…the list goes on. The fact remains that moderation in all things is a Godly attribute. Smoking is obviously not healthy and the believer should be diligent in their efforts to quit but what is there in this world that isn’t good for you. I love to go to fast food restaurants but don’t go very often because I know the menu carries high fat volumes in their foods. The fact is that it is a fallen world and that there are no perfect Christians. None are perfect but they are forgiven.

What Saves Believers?

Jesus was more concerned with what came out of the mouth (in words) than what was going into it saying in Matthew 15:11, “What goes into someone’s mouth does not defile them, but what comes out of their mouth, that is what defiles them.” It is what comes out of the mouth that defiles believers; it is by our words that our heart is revealed.

Yes, you can still be a Christian and smoke. Is it God’s will that you would quit? Of course because God tells us we are to be perfect and to abstain from every appearance of evil and He desires that we live a happy, healthy, prosperous, and long life. But at the same time, we shouldn’t judge those who do smoke or those who we see are not perfect. If I caste the first stone, it would have to be aimed at myself. We should be concerned about our own sins and repent daily and come to the cross of Christ for daily cleansing. We will still sin and fall short of the glory of God, but whoever believes in Jesus Christ remains his possession forever and He will never leave you, forsake you, or have you snatched from His hand or the hand of God the Father (John 6:37, 10:28-29).

Conclusion

As covered by the apostle John in 1 John 3:4, a true definition of sin is “lawlessness”. Then James reminds us that sin leads to death (James 1:15). The good news is that John also shares that when we believe in what Jesus did for us on the cross we are saved from death, which is the penalty for sin. We areunable to save ourselves, only Jesus saves. Because of sin we live in a fallen world and therefore there are no perfect Christians. Yes, you can still be a Christian and smoke, however God desires that we live a happy, healthy, prosperous life and quitting smoking would be a good thing for any Christian.

http://www.whatchristianswanttoknow.com/is-smoking-cigarettes-a-sin/

Do you agree with the writer's conclusion?

Do you think cigarette smoking is a sin?

Re: Is Smoking Cigarettes A Sin? by MuguliciousMUGU: 8:34pm On Nov 01, 2014
Smoking Cigarette once is a mistake...
Smoking Cigarette twice is a sin...
But smoking weed is a bigger sin because it would make you higher than the most high.... And how can you compete with your creator...

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Smoking Cigarettes A Sin? by Lawstudent: 8:34pm On Nov 01, 2014
No but a bad habbit
Re: Is Smoking Cigarettes A Sin? by lalasticlala(m): 8:36pm On Nov 01, 2014
Lawstudent:
No but a bad habbit

That means u agree with d writers conclusion
Re: Is Smoking Cigarettes A Sin? by Princecalm(m): 8:47pm On Nov 01, 2014
It is an irresponsible
Re: Is Smoking Cigarettes A Sin? by Nobody: 8:57pm On Nov 01, 2014
MuguliciousMUGU:
But smoking weed is a bigger sin because it would make you higher than the most high.... And how can you compete with your creator...

Bigger sin?

Hian! Educate me. undecided
Re: Is Smoking Cigarettes A Sin? by dmjinc(m): 9:00pm On Nov 01, 2014
Brb
Re: Is Smoking Cigarettes A Sin? by Dramadiddy(m): 9:02pm On Nov 01, 2014
Thou shalt not smoke!
Re: Is Smoking Cigarettes A Sin? by lalasticlala(m): 9:16pm On Nov 01, 2014
Dramadiddy:
Thou shalt not smoke!

where is it written in d bible?
Re: Is Smoking Cigarettes A Sin? by Dramadiddy(m): 9:58pm On Nov 01, 2014
lalasticlala:

where is it written in d bible?
just saying..
Re: Is Smoking Cigarettes A Sin? by iamodenigbo1(m): 10:03pm On Nov 01, 2014
it is not sin,IT IS DEATH
Re: Is Smoking Cigarettes A Sin? by Rilwayne001: 10:17pm On Nov 01, 2014
MuguliciousMUGU:

grin grin

lol
Re: Is Smoking Cigarettes A Sin? by montestic(m): 12:06am On Nov 02, 2014
not a sin but a bad habit
Re: Is Smoking Cigarettes A Sin? by IfyAwazie(f): 12:06am On Nov 02, 2014
D bible says, Our body is d temple of God. So watever we do or take dat can harm d body is a sin including smoking.
Re: Is Smoking Cigarettes A Sin? by daveP(m): 12:37am On Nov 02, 2014
IfyAwazie:
D bible says, Our body is d temple of God. So watever we do or take dat can harm d body is a sin including smoking.
true

1 Like

Re: Is Smoking Cigarettes A Sin? by Infomizer(m): 12:42am On Nov 02, 2014
IfyAwazie:

Apparently, second-hand smokers are sinners too, right?

Op
It's a matter of whatever rocks the smoker's boat. Sin is subjective. My opinion tho'.
Re: Is Smoking Cigarettes A Sin? by Richy4(m): 1:53am On Nov 02, 2014
MuguliciousMUGU:

Hhahhaha. "higher than the most high........."

All i know is that smoking is dangerous to health. as for it being a sin, i have no idea. and have not seen it in the scripture.
Re: Is Smoking Cigarettes A Sin? by SeverusSnape(m): 4:39am On Nov 02, 2014
Sin...sin...sin... Smoking?, to be sincere i won't advice anybody to smoke, but i believe it's not a sin; it's just a harmful habit that could militate against one's health.
Re: Is Smoking Cigarettes A Sin? by Nobody: 6:33am On Nov 02, 2014
Religious wise,not a sin.

But health,and morally wise,its bad.

And most times,we tend to adapt the morally value to the everyday life,hence making cigars a sin in human standard.
Re: Is Smoking Cigarettes A Sin? by Tallesty1(m): 6:39am On Nov 02, 2014
IfyAwazie:
Re: Is Smoking Cigarettes A Sin? by lalasticlala(m): 6:56am On Nov 02, 2014
Infomizer:

Op
It's a matter of whatever rocks the smoker's boat. Sin is subjective. My opinion tho'.

which one is second-hand smokers?
Re: Is Smoking Cigarettes A Sin? by PedroJP(m): 7:19am On Nov 02, 2014
Smoking is dangerous to health.
Anything dangerous to health can kill.
To take life is a sin.
If u in anyway knowingly initiated wat wud kill u, it's equally a sin.
D act of smoking looks harmless making me unable to conclude
Re: Is Smoking Cigarettes A Sin? by diksucker(f): 7:20am On Nov 02, 2014
NOT a sin

but a bad habit. moderation is d word. but I can't smoke o. me no get d liver to do that beside its not nutritious so why should I take it?
Re: Is Smoking Cigarettes A Sin? by OgidiOlu3(m): 7:22am On Nov 02, 2014
Smoking wouldn't be a sin if it doesn't affect the people around and pollutes the air. I don't expect people in very cold regions not to smoke though.
Re: Is Smoking Cigarettes A Sin? by alotofgrace(m): 7:47am On Nov 02, 2014
hmmmm! lets see!

the wages of sin is death.

smoking leads to death

hence, smoking leads to sin
Re: Is Smoking Cigarettes A Sin? by Dygeasy(m): 10:26am On Nov 02, 2014
[i]
FrancisTony:

Bigger sin?

Hian! Educate me. undecided
[/i]Sarcasm, Satire, Joke - every one of these is present in that post.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is Smoking Cigarettes A Sin? by Nobody: 11:27am On Nov 02, 2014
Its never a sin,its just immoral and detrimental to human health so f00lish men had to call it sin to scare off people,my advice is quit if your indulge in it cus it might take its toll on you healthwise!!!!
Re: Is Smoking Cigarettes A Sin? by Kyase(m): 11:49am On Nov 02, 2014
Dramadiddy:
Thou shalt not smoke!
Lol
Re: Is Smoking Cigarettes A Sin? by IfyAwazie(f): 12:11pm On Nov 02, 2014
Infomizer:

Op
wat is d second hand smoker doing bside d smoker?
Re: Is Smoking Cigarettes A Sin? by charlsecy(m): 1:11pm On Nov 02, 2014
IfyAwazie:

In the same vain, is taking processed food like vegetable oil a sin, since it is said they can increase your chances of cardiovascular issues?
Re: Is Smoking Cigarettes A Sin? by IfyAwazie(f): 1:32pm On Nov 02, 2014
charlsecy:

In the same vain, is taking processed food like vegetable oil a sin, since it is said they can increase your chances of cardiovascular issues?
have u seen any vegetable oil pack where dey wrote its dangerous to ur health but even those dat manufacture cigarette warn u dat its dangerous to ur health.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Pastor-preneurs / Sermon Jotters: Evil Dream Seeds(june Pmch). [dr. D.k Olukoya] / Dr. Mike Murdock Live In Port Harcourt On October 1

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.