Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,334 members, 7,819,164 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:09 PM

Between Master's Degree And Professional Course - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Between Master's Degree And Professional Course (66227 Views)

Best Professional Course For Agric Graduate / Nipr Diploma For Master Degree? / Need Your Assistant ! Motivation Letter For Admission Into Master’s Degree (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Between Master's Degree And Professional Course by Nobody: 12:39pm On Nov 07, 2014
nowhere in the world is a professional certificate in anything of greater weight than a master's degree. please why kid yourselves? if you can't afford a masters then a professional course would be a decent substitute to improve your chances but to compare the two of them is a joke.

to even have a chance of applying for a job in an international organization or multinational corporation, even as an entry level staff you usually need to have a masters degree in a related field.

professional course are also not universally accepted. what is accepted in the UK may not be recognized in the Us, however as long as your University is recognized and accredited, your masters degree is recognized.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Between Master's Degree And Professional Course by hambehsam(m): 12:40pm On Nov 07, 2014
High level of unemployment in the country, is responsible for the high rate of masters degree intake. At any time, professional qualifications are better than masters degree. In finance, law, medicine, engineering etc, your earnings is a function of your professional qualifications.
Re: Between Master's Degree And Professional Course by Nobody: 12:42pm On Nov 07, 2014
U think say masters dey put food for table" that was what my MD told us few years ago. My coy employs OND, HND &BSC. We all collect d same salary. Why? Cos we all have d same professional dats what matters. After graduating, if u can, go for certification it pays more than masters.

2 Likes

Re: Between Master's Degree And Professional Course by teendog(m): 12:46pm On Nov 07, 2014
As a Geologist,is M.sc better than professional course?
Re: Between Master's Degree And Professional Course by seunwen2(m): 12:48pm On Nov 07, 2014
Fibo27:
If U̶̲̥̅̊ pass α professional course like CISA, ACCA or ICAN with α Bsc. Normally, тнє least you'll be offrered is N250k monthly

With BSc in what field exactly
Re: Between Master's Degree And Professional Course by drehdinho(m): 12:53pm On Nov 07, 2014
What if one is a B.A English holder. Which is most preferable afterwards, Masters in English or Law(first degree).
Re: Between Master's Degree And Professional Course by Nobody: 12:55pm On Nov 07, 2014
735i:

I'm sorry but; i don't understand your question. I'm only pointing out to you that an ICAN does not give you any work experience… neither does an MSc in accounting.
are you in this field of profession ... if NO , you are the one misleading and you should get your facts right before you allege false claims . for you to be chatered you have to practice with an auditing firm for a period of time ... thats work experience . it is a requirement , the audit firm has to be a registered member of ICAN also . there are professions that put less prioority on theortical knowledge but hands on exprience . the accounting profession is one of such.
Re: Between Master's Degree And Professional Course by Nobody: 12:55pm On Nov 07, 2014
It depends on the situation...

By 'Masters degree', I presume you mean 'Academic Masters'? Cos there are Professional Masters degree too (e.g. MBA).

On the above premise, I want to say that unless one plans to follow through with PhD., an academic masters may not be necessary.

Professional courses are usually better, when one already has a job, and wants to develop along that career line.

The problem we have in Nigeria is that we have a wrong orientation, that a Masters or Professional qualification will give us an edge in the saturated labour market, so once a guy doesn't get a job two weeks after NYSC , he applies for a Masters studies or one quack professional degree or another; this may not be true in all cases.

Work experience is more important than both Masters and Professional qualifications. So try to get work experience, even if you're not being paid, rather than rushing for one degree or another...

...No amount of Academic /Paper qualifications can beat practical work experience! cheesy

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Between Master's Degree And Professional Course by PAnaceA7(m): 12:56pm On Nov 07, 2014
Nice thread keenly following
Re: Between Master's Degree And Professional Course by Nobody: 12:56pm On Nov 07, 2014
U think say masters dey put food for table" that was what my MD told us few years ago. My coy employs OND, HND &BSC. We all collect d same salary(field workers). Why? Cos we all have d same professional dats what matters. After graduating, if u can, go for certification it pays more than masters. My little kobo
Re: Between Master's Degree And Professional Course by paveinc(m): 12:58pm On Nov 07, 2014
Acegoals:

France? So how is the system there like? Do fresh graduates rush for Master's degree or simply go for a professional course?

I know the situations may differ as per economic terrain and unemployment level...
.don't take that man serious,he is a clown.never schooled in France

1 Like

Re: Between Master's Degree And Professional Course by hayoakins(m): 1:03pm On Nov 07, 2014
Professional qualifications except if the masters would be obtained in one of the world's famous Unis ie. Harvard, Oxford etc 'cos masters in Naija is next to nothing, even Unilags's undecided

1 Like

Re: Between Master's Degree And Professional Course by Chibliss2: 1:05pm On Nov 07, 2014
Am a corp member. Pls which of the professional course is best for a graduate of Statistics.
Re: Between Master's Degree And Professional Course by Nobody: 1:07pm On Nov 07, 2014
As a graduate in a field of pharmacology, is masters better off or taking the professional exam?
Re: Between Master's Degree And Professional Course by piagetskinner(m): 1:17pm On Nov 07, 2014
Well for starters, I think it depends on the course read for 1st degree...but personally I'l pick masters over professional Cert
Re: Between Master's Degree And Professional Course by Mixty: 1:20pm On Nov 07, 2014
Renylee:
As a graduate in a field of pharmacology, is masters better off or taking the professional exam?
Kindly help her
Re: Between Master's Degree And Professional Course by heatmeup(f): 1:28pm On Nov 07, 2014
majekdom2:
like I said different profession with different preferences. An M.BA is very much ok for the business and management degres . The Entry level engineering positions are usually graduate programs that sees you to a level of a manager ... during this period you will have to undergo some management courses . As an engineer a masters in your field is of utmost importance as you will gain indepth knowledge on the product line you will be managing.An Mba may not give you the management skills required for your line of expertise in Engineering , tho you may gain general knowledge.
what if industrial chemistry and is interested in chemical engineer
Re: Between Master's Degree And Professional Course by mindworx: 1:28pm On Nov 07, 2014
Ok, my own case. I have worked for some 6 years after NYSC here in Nigeria. I'm an IT Professional. So am thinking of moving from the 'techie' parts to the management parts. I have developed interest in Business Intelligence due to my nature of work (Data Migration) ... So, my question is .. Do i leave my job and go for MSc in Management - Focus on IT Management (I prefer this to MBA tho) ? .. or I should just do an online MSc stuff? I would like to go because I want to associate physically with people, network with them, live a life outside work for a while. But again, sometimes i get scared of leaving job, go out there, come back here and start searching (I have a little faith, that won't be my portion tho ...hehehe). Please advice me. Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Between Master's Degree And Professional Course by heatmeup(f): 1:29pm On Nov 07, 2014
Mixty:

You mean as a graduate of pharmacology, you still don't know whether you should go for a masters or write a professional exams? You mean you studied a course for 5 good years (+ ASUU strike) without ever considering the career path?
I smh for you and the poor educational system in Nigeria.
that has not answered the question.what is the problem with Nigerians
Re: Between Master's Degree And Professional Course by Nobody: 1:32pm On Nov 07, 2014
heatmeup:
what if industrial chemistry and is interested in chemical engineer
tho related , they are purely different fields...... A chemical engineer may not be able to do what an Industrial chemist can do . you should check on a particular line industrial chemistry and chemical engineer are related ,you can have your masters in that line.
Re: Between Master's Degree And Professional Course by Nobody: 1:35pm On Nov 07, 2014
mindworx:
Ok, my own case. I have worked for some 6 years after NYSC here in Nigeria. I'm an IT Professional. So am thinking of moving from the 'techie' parts to the management parts. I have developed interest in Business Intelligence due to my nature of work (Data Migration) ... So, my question is .. Do i leave my job and go for MSc in Management - Focus on IT Management (I prefer this to MBA tho) ? .. or I should just do an online MSc stuff? I would like to go because I want to associate physically with people, network with them, live a life outside work for a while. But again, sometimes i get scared of leaving job, go out there, come back here and start searching (I have a little faith, that won't be my portion tho ...hehehe). Please advice me. Thanks.
you should be able to apply for study leave . I think most companes do that . you still have your salary while on leave.
Re: Between Master's Degree And Professional Course by PStacks(m): 1:36pm On Nov 07, 2014
What's the difference between a Master and a Professional.. ?

A professional is just someone that has Mastered a particular field of Interest..

We a Nation driven by Degrees and more degrees with no Professionals..

People have all d degrees in the world but can't even do s'hit..

4 Likes

Re: Between Master's Degree And Professional Course by Nobody: 1:37pm On Nov 07, 2014
Mixty:

You mean as a graduate of pharmacology, you still don't know whether you should go for a masters or write a professional exams? You mean you studied a course for 5 good years (+ ASUU strike) without ever considering the career path?
No man knows it all or is an island .... you should check on yourself . she needed an advice not criticism.
Re: Between Master's Degree And Professional Course by chucky234(m): 1:37pm On Nov 07, 2014
Acegoals:

France? So how is the system there like? Do fresh graduates rush for Master's degree or simply go for a professional course?

I know the situations may differ as per economic terrain and unemployment level...
France? You got it all wrong bro, he schooled mean he has never been to any airport and had his education at Oshodi Grammar Sch.
LMAO
Re: Between Master's Degree And Professional Course by Nobody: 1:38pm On Nov 07, 2014
Mixty:

y do u act like a fool...why not advise her and stop saying thrash... learn to help and guide pple.... parable of d good samaritan..practise wat u preach...
Re: Between Master's Degree And Professional Course by Nobody: 1:38pm On Nov 07, 2014
Acegoals:
Hello All,

Sometime last week I had an intelligent discussion with my colleagues about the above topic. Almost all vouched in favour of opting for a professional course as against a Master's degree or MBA which may likely come later.

Umpteen times fresh graduates rush towards gaining a Master's degree immediately they are out of school without having experience of the workplace at all. Some argue that this could be detrimental to the Master's degree studies since most of what will be taught is directly related to real experiences in the workplace

What do you think? Do you agree? Or are you of the opinion that once the fund is available for the Master's Degree, the young graduate should opt for it or rather go for a professional course in his/her field? Let's talk...
It depends on your field of endeavour :

As an Accountant or any other recognised professional discipline .... Professional course should have been completed before undergraduate or immediately after graduate through service year !

Then after service you can come for your masters/MBA(also a professional course) !

For some jobs such as International development agencies or Multinational corporations M.sc/MBA is the minimum requirement while professional course will be an added advantage !

Also, Academic Jobs requires minimum of master else your b.sc in academic will make you a messenger !!

Conclusion : where you wanna tailor your career will determine whether to choose Professional course or Masters !

As far as me I'm concerned : if you don't have M.sc/MBA , your book is not complete so is your skill !

1 Like

Re: Between Master's Degree And Professional Course by Nobody: 1:40pm On Nov 07, 2014
crixtex:

y do u act like a fool...why not advise her and stop saying thrash... learn to help and guide pple.... parable of d good samaritan..practise wat u preach...
Re: Between Master's Degree And Professional Course by Mixty: 1:43pm On Nov 07, 2014
crixtex:

You are a buffoon. Why call me a fool? Silly dimwit. Next time, mind your biz..
Re: Between Master's Degree And Professional Course by heatmeup(f): 1:48pm On Nov 07, 2014
majekdom2:
tho related , they are purely different fields...... A chemical engineer may not be able to do what an Industrial chemist can do . you should check on a particular line industrial chemistry and chemical engineer are related ,you can have your masters in that line.
my challenge is that i really love engineering things
Re: Between Master's Degree And Professional Course by Nobody: 1:48pm On Nov 07, 2014
Mixty:

You are a buffoon. Why call me a fool? Silly dimwit. Next time, mind your biz..
Well sorry.. buh u cud ve helped... Learn to do good..

1 Like

Re: Between Master's Degree And Professional Course by Mixty: 1:49pm On Nov 07, 2014
crixtex:

Well sorry.. buh u cud ve helped... Learn to do good..
I'm sorry too smiley. Lessons learnt smiley

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Lady Who Just Got A Job Reveals What Happens To Her Each Time She Gets Home / Please Avoid This Thing If You Want To Succeed In Life / Top 10 Highest Paying Jobs In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.