Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,120 members, 7,821,840 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 07:57 PM

Between Master's Degree And Professional Course - Career (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Between Master's Degree And Professional Course (66246 Views)

Best Professional Course For Agric Graduate / Nipr Diploma For Master Degree? / Need Your Assistant ! Motivation Letter For Admission Into Master’s Degree (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Between Master's Degree And Professional Course by heatmeup(f): 1:50pm On Nov 07, 2014
crixtex:

y do u act like a fool...why not advise her and stop saying thrash... learn to help and guide pple.... parable of d good samaritan..practise wat u preach...
don't mind him.na people like them no get anything upstairs
Re: Between Master's Degree And Professional Course by mandarin: 1:50pm On Nov 07, 2014
If you are working pls go for anything that can advance your career in your chosen field or the one you envisaged.
Re: Between Master's Degree And Professional Course by Mixty: 1:52pm On Nov 07, 2014
heatmeup:
don't mind him.na people like them no get anything upstairs
That's too harsh, babe. I will refrain from throwing back tantrums.
Re: Between Master's Degree And Professional Course by mindworx: 1:54pm On Nov 07, 2014
majekdom2:
you should be able to apply for study leave . I think most companes do that . you still have your salary while on leave.

Yeah, most companies do really. But the structure here is you don't get MSc study leave. Only when the company sends you on training. But if you leave the company for MSc, and you wanna come back, if there is space to fit you in, you *might* be considered. But my brother, its not even about coming back to this same company, my focus is actually to be qualified for mid-management positions such as team leads based on my 6 years technical experience. Am looking at both global and local opportunities. So, is it still advisable to go .. or one should just play safe and do online? Thanks
Re: Between Master's Degree And Professional Course by garbigarba: 1:55pm On Nov 07, 2014
Equalizer:
Please what is the fate of an Industrial Engineer in this country because most companies seems to have little or no knowledge about the course.. I contemplating on doing some professional safety courses so that I can increase my chances of getting employed now because I need o gather enough experience before I could master on any field.
You can always tow the fields of operations/supply chain/logistics management or technology.

1 Like

Re: Between Master's Degree And Professional Course by lovemaths(f): 1:55pm On Nov 07, 2014
jaybee3:
Professional course if you are already in work and need to climb the career ladder

Master's if you are a job seeker and need to present yourself as the best candidate among the tons of applicants. As they always say, "Every little helps"

However, if you are in the field of IT then bother not about MSc degrees. You need professional courses as these usually count has valuable experience when we sieve through application forms
true talk. I'm a computer science graduate. I'm planning to do a professional course in multimedia.
Re: Between Master's Degree And Professional Course by Nobody: 1:57pm On Nov 07, 2014
mindworx:

Yeah, most companies do really. But the structure here is you don't get MSc study leave. Only when the company sends you on training. But if you leave the company for MSc, and you wanna come back, if there is space to fit you in, you *might* be considered. But my brother, its not even about coming back to this same company, my focus is actually to be qualified for mid-management positions such as team leads based on my 6 years technical experience. Am looking at both global and local opportunities. So, is it still advisable to go .. or one should just play safe and do online? Thanks
since you dont like the company , I ll advice you go . opportunities abound for your profession abroad.
Re: Between Master's Degree And Professional Course by Nobody: 1:59pm On Nov 07, 2014
heatmeup:
my challenge is that i really love engineering things
hehehe , why didnt you go for engineering in the first instance . what field in engineering do you love . you can always break into the manufacturing/ exploration / service companies as an industrial engneer.
Re: Between Master's Degree And Professional Course by lovemaths(f): 2:01pm On Nov 07, 2014
jaybee3:
Professional course if you are already in work and need to climb the career ladder

Master's if you are a job seeker and need to present yourself as the best candidate among the tons of applicants. As they always say, "Every little helps"

However, if you are in the field of IT then bother not about MSc degrees. You need professional courses as these usually count has valuable experience when we sieve through application forms
true talk. I'm a computer science graduate. I plan to do a professional course in multimedia, work before going for masters.
Re: Between Master's Degree And Professional Course by jaybee3(m): 2:03pm On Nov 07, 2014
lovemaths:
true talk. I'm a computer scien
What do you plan to do with the degree?
What aspect of computer science tickles your fancy?
Re: Between Master's Degree And Professional Course by parrot123: 2:04pm On Nov 07, 2014
Acegoals

Hello All,

Sometime last week I had an intelligent discussion with my colleagues about the above topic. Almost all vouched in favour of opting for a professional course as against a Master's degree or MBA which may likely come later.

Umpteen times fresh graduates rush towards gaining a Master's degree immediately they are out of school without having experience of the workplace at all. Some argue that this could be detrimental to the Master's degree studies since most of what will be taught is directly related to real experiences in the workplace

What do you think? Do you agree? Or are you of the opinion that once the fund is available for the Master's Degree, the young graduate should opt for it or rather go for a professional course in his/her field? Let's talk..

Professionalism is the best
Re: Between Master's Degree And Professional Course by Nobody: 2:06pm On Nov 07, 2014
In my humble opinion both are equally important. There is no one cap fits all on the one to take. Having bagged an M.Sc and an MBA from a top business school in the US and an ACIB on returning home to nigeria and stil unemployed for over 1year n 7months, to me i wud advise one to get a job after ur bachelors then go for whatever rock ur boat afterwards be it masters or professionals.

2 Likes

Re: Between Master's Degree And Professional Course by mindworx: 2:06pm On Nov 07, 2014
majekdom2:
since you dont like the company , I ll advice you go . opportunities abound for your profession abroad.

Thanks man
Re: Between Master's Degree And Professional Course by 735i(m): 2:07pm On Nov 07, 2014
majekdom2:
are you in this field of profession ... if NO , you are the one misleading and you should get your facts right before you allege false claims . for you to be chatered you have to practice with an auditing firm for a period of time ... thats work experience . it is a requirement , the audit firm has to be a registered member of ICAN also . there are professions that put less prioority on theortical knowledge but hands on exprience . the accounting profession is one of such.

I will not bother arguing with you… there's no point!
Re: Between Master's Degree And Professional Course by lovemaths(f): 2:08pm On Nov 07, 2014
jaybee3:

What do you plan to do with the degree?
What aspect of computer science tickles your fancy?
multimedia (graphics and animation). I'm planning on going for a professional course as soon as I get the cash.
Re: Between Master's Degree And Professional Course by GeneralShepherd(m): 2:12pm On Nov 07, 2014
Acegoals:

France? So how is the system there like? Do fresh graduates rush for Master's degree or simply go for a professional course?

I know the situations may differ as per economic terrain and unemployment level...

In France they have the double degree programme, you study for 3years go to another European country study for one year. And then get a BEng + Msc.
Re: Between Master's Degree And Professional Course by Nobody: 2:14pm On Nov 07, 2014
735i:

I will not bother arguing with you… there's no point!
your arguments have been baseless ... get your facts right before you dispute another man's claims . did you read other accounting professionals posts on this thread . go edit your earier post which disputes whats true.
Re: Between Master's Degree And Professional Course by heatmeup(f): 2:18pm On Nov 07, 2014
majekdom2:
hehehe , why didnt you go for engineering in the first instance . what field in engineering do you love . you can always break into the manufacturing/ exploration / service companies as an industrial engneer.
hmmmmmmm so can i go for masters in industrial engineering? and answer to the 1st question is [size=50pt]NIGERIAN FACTOR[/size]
Re: Between Master's Degree And Professional Course by peeparty(m): 2:19pm On Nov 07, 2014
Am really learning a lot wow,pls kip the comment coming,still confused abt waht master and mba is,I min waht the diff
Re: Between Master's Degree And Professional Course by Nobody: 2:21pm On Nov 07, 2014
parrot123:
Acegoals

Hello All,

Sometime last week I had an intelligent discussion with my colleagues about the above topic. Almost all vouched in favour of opting for a professional course as against a Master's degree or MBA which may likely come later.

Umpteen times fresh graduates rush towards gaining a Master's degree immediately they are out of school without having experience of the workplace at all. Some argue that this could be detrimental to the Master's degree studies since most of what will be taught is directly related to real experiences in the workplace

What do you think? Do you agree? Or are you of the opinion that once the fund is available for the Master's Degree, the young graduate should opt for it or rather go for a professional course in his/her field? Let's talk..

Professionalism is the best
if you have the funds and have no present job and you are very young say 21 22 please go for your masters degree . you can keep applying to job openings where ever you are. as a fresh graduate some companies may give you the opportunity to resume after your masters if you are the kind of candidate they need so badly.
Re: Between Master's Degree And Professional Course by SammyGreatone8: 2:21pm On Nov 07, 2014
Pls, fellow nairalanders I want to know what's preferable for a management graduate, either professional certificate or a masters degree.
Sincerely I have bagged a lot of professional certificate in various management sectors.
Pls I need your your unsetrimental advice
Re: Between Master's Degree And Professional Course by heatmeup(f): 2:22pm On Nov 07, 2014
Mixty:

That's too harsh, babe. I will refrain from throwing back tantrums.
MTCWEWWWW
Re: Between Master's Degree And Professional Course by superduperjay: 2:22pm On Nov 07, 2014
I have a Bsc in physiology, currently applying to study medicine(a professional course) as opposed to getting a masters degree, I didn't even think about it. It depends on u and what you want and the course you studied.

1 Like

Re: Between Master's Degree And Professional Course by Feex: 2:22pm On Nov 07, 2014
heatmeup:
what if industrial chemistry and is interested in chemical engineer
With a BSc in industrial chemistry, you can definitely go for a postgraduate degree in chemical engineering. Many chemists follow that route.
Just make sure you graduate with good grades.
Re: Between Master's Degree And Professional Course by Mixty: 2:24pm On Nov 07, 2014
heatmeup:
MTCWEWWWW
You obviously lack it. I leave you in peace.
Re: Between Master's Degree And Professional Course by dustydee: 2:26pm On Nov 07, 2014
For Engineering courses, a masters degree is a plus. In the UK for example, most Oil and Gas Engineering companies prefer to employ masters' degree holders because they are likely to get their professional registration faster than BSc holders. Also most Engineering students here do their MEng direct before leaving school.
Also, masters' level think is different from BSc. I didn't realise this until I went for my masters'.
I have also seen job adverts in Nigeria for 2.1 BSc holders or 2.2+ a masters' degree.

My company values an MSc much more than any other professional qualification for Engineers (apart from C.Eng).
Re: Between Master's Degree And Professional Course by jaybee3(m): 2:26pm On Nov 07, 2014
SammyGreatone8:
Pls, fellow nairalanders I want to know what's preferable for a management graduate, either professional certificate or a masters degree.
Sincerely I have bagged a lot of professional certificate in various management sectors.
Pls I need your your unsetrimental advice
Experience

No amount of certification and/or degree will teach you the following:
Leadership skills
Effective communication
Negotiation skills
Managing difficult people
Delivering projects

Go for your MBA once you have valid/relevant experience

1 Like

Re: Between Master's Degree And Professional Course by Nobody: 2:28pm On Nov 07, 2014
GeneralShepherd:

In France they have the double degree programme, you study for 3years go to another European country study for one year. And then get a BEng + Msc.
hope you learning great over there ? am sure the qualty of learning aint no joke . all the best
Re: Between Master's Degree And Professional Course by heatmeup(f): 2:28pm On Nov 07, 2014
Feex:

With a BSc in industrial chemistry, you can definitely go for a postgraduate degree in chemical engineering. Many chemists follow that route.
Just make sure you graduate with good grades.
so after pgd?i can go for masters in chem eng or industrial eng as u said?
Re: Between Master's Degree And Professional Course by heatmeup(f): 2:36pm On Nov 07, 2014
dustydee:
For Engineering courses, a masters degree is a plus. In the UK for example, most Oil and Gas Engineering companies prefer to employ masters' degree holders because they are likely to get their professional registration faster than BSc holders. Also most Engineering students here do their MEng direct before leaving school.
Also, masters' level think is different from BSc. I didn't realise this until I went for my masters'.
I have also seen job adverts in Nigeria for 2.1 BSc holders or 2.2+ a masters' degree.

My company values an MSc much more than any other professional qualification for Engineers (apart from C.Eng).
c.eng as in?
Re: Between Master's Degree And Professional Course by Nobody: 2:38pm On Nov 07, 2014
dustydee:

in uk you can do your masters straight it takes about 5 years in all . in Nigeria you have to go for nysc before you can get a masters or comeback after masters for nysc. age is a factor to consider .not that masters level think is different , it is the "nigerian think " that is different. the nigerian graduates networking ,teamwork skills cannot be compared to the ones in UK. Thats what "quality means" . not all companies in the energy setors prefer masters here in Nigeria , if you say Uk fine ... thats beause a masters is easy to get just like the bsc no excess funds et all. out of alll my friends in the energy industry , only one has got a masters from aberdeen . halliburton for insatnce prefers an engineer in certification or with some months of experiene for the entry level position.
Re: Between Master's Degree And Professional Course by Nobody: 2:40pm On Nov 07, 2014
heatmeup:
c.eng as in?
chatered engineer

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Lady Who Just Got A Job Reveals What Happens To Her Each Time She Gets Home / Please Avoid This Thing If You Want To Succeed In Life / Top 10 Highest Paying Jobs In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.