Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,499 members, 7,819,815 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:26 AM

7 Internet Words You’ve Been Mispronouncing Like “GIF” - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 7 Internet Words You’ve Been Mispronouncing Like “GIF” (4604 Views)

18 Interesting Pictures From The Past You’ve Probably Not Seen Before / 18 Strangest Animals You’ve Probably Never Seen Before. Penis Snake? WTH! / What Is The Most Important Lesson You’ve Learned In Life? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

7 Internet Words You’ve Been Mispronouncing Like “GIF” by Nobody: 6:48am On Nov 03, 2014
Mind blowing, I know. It’s going to take some adjusting. You might even want to practice it in front of your mirror for a while. Now, I don’t want to overwhelm you, but we here at Slacktory have uncovered a few more words that we have all been
mispronouncing.
INTERNET: Did you know it is pronounced Eye-nternet, not Enter-net? This makes a lot of sense because the Internet is something you look at with your eyes, not enter with your
body.
Wi-Fi: While everyone thinks Wi-Fi is pronounced Why-Fy, it is actually pronounced wiffy. This is derived from the fact that most Wi-Fi hotspots are pretty iffy. Meme: Internet elitists will try to claim this word is pronounced meem, like the word gene. The truth is the word is pronounced Memmay, because it
sounds French and is just funnier.
URL: Most people will spell out this word saying U R L. Truth is it should be pronounced Earl, after the founder of Unified Resource Locations, Url Webbington III. VLOGGING: It is commonly believed that Vlogging is a variation of blogging, and is therefore pronounced the same way. But vlogging was originally used to describe the logging of many Vs, an abbreviation of videos. The correct pronunciation is Vee-Logging.
IP ADDRESS: It’s not eye pee address, as we all so vulgarly say. It’s pronounced Ip and was named after the famous martial artist Ip Man. Fun
fact: the very first IP address contains the birthdate, weight, and favorite numbers of Ip Man. LOL: Perhaps the most used and therefore the most mispronounced word in the eye-nternet vernacular.
LOL is not to be spelled out or
pronounced “lawl” or “lowell”. It is pronounced as “Unnnhhh-ninininini”
with the “Unnnhhh” real low and guttural and the “ninininini” like a high trill — as begrudgingly and maliciously ratified in a 1989 Usenet thread by users who had long since rejected spoken language.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 7 Internet Words You’ve Been Mispronouncing Like “GIF” by yuncka: 7:02am On Nov 03, 2014
Well noted.

But I go still
dey EnterNet,
dey meme,
dey wife Fy,
dey Lawl!

5 Likes

Re: 7 Internet Words You’ve Been Mispronouncing Like “GIF” by mundus(m): 7:08am On Nov 03, 2014
You are not serious. Na only you go dey pronounce all these

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 7 Internet Words You’ve Been Mispronouncing Like “GIF” by JayEye(m): 7:10am On Nov 03, 2014
I just don't get the Lol part...could you xplain better

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 7 Internet Words You’ve Been Mispronouncing Like “GIF” by politricks: 7:33am On Nov 03, 2014
If you pronounce these words like this in public, people will think you are nuts.

1 Like

Re: 7 Internet Words You’ve Been Mispronouncing Like “GIF” by beau49: 7:47am On Nov 03, 2014
If 'internet' is pronounced 'Enter-net' then how do you pronounce 'Ethernet'?

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 7 Internet Words You’ve Been Mispronouncing Like “GIF” by DeHero1: 7:50am On Nov 03, 2014
But I thought IP address means Internet Protocol Address

1 Like

Re: 7 Internet Words You’ve Been Mispronouncing Like “GIF” by Les: 8:05am On Nov 03, 2014
Joke secton, please

5 Likes

Re: 7 Internet Words You’ve Been Mispronouncing Like “GIF” by AbdH: 8:07am On Nov 03, 2014
JayEye:
I just don't get the Lol part...could you xplain better

Please, don't make him explain better. Enough of the confusion.

Unnnhhh nininini!

11 Likes

Re: 7 Internet Words You’ve Been Mispronouncing Like “GIF” by tempem: 8:19am On Nov 03, 2014
Eye ternet
I know of whyfy
The part of lol, is confusing.
I do care for an explanation.
Re: 7 Internet Words You’ve Been Mispronouncing Like “GIF” by herald9: 8:24am On Nov 03, 2014
Lol

OP are you for real? grin

Lemme grab my Oxford Concise Audio dictionary and test this words...if it doesn't rhyme...

You'll be up for eviction undecided
Re: 7 Internet Words You’ve Been Mispronouncing Like “GIF” by Adesam09(m): 8:26am On Nov 03, 2014
Are u sure?
Re: 7 Internet Words You’ve Been Mispronouncing Like “GIF” by herald9: 8:29am On Nov 03, 2014
Abajosax007:
LOL: Perhap
with the “Unnnhhh” real low and guttural and the “ninininini” like a high trill — as begrudgingly and maliciously ratified in a 1989 Usenet thread by users who had long since rejected spoken language.
?
Re: 7 Internet Words You’ve Been Mispronouncing Like “GIF” by AfricanApple(f): 8:30am On Nov 03, 2014
grin grin funny dude. lawl grin

Re: 7 Internet Words You’ve Been Mispronouncing Like “GIF” by Donkaz(m): 8:49am On Nov 03, 2014
Nice one Op

I will just put all those in my storage drive, but I will still be pronouncing what I know before now because na naija we dey

1 Like

Re: 7 Internet Words You’ve Been Mispronouncing Like “GIF” by alotofgrace(m): 8:55am On Nov 03, 2014
how do u pronounce browsing, chatting, lwkmd, and www?
Re: 7 Internet Words You’ve Been Mispronouncing Like “GIF” by greatex(m): 8:57am On Nov 03, 2014
What can I say

1 Like

Re: 7 Internet Words You’ve Been Mispronouncing Like “GIF” by priscaoge(f): 9:06am On Nov 03, 2014

Hehehehehe This is funny cheesy

1 Like

Re: 7 Internet Words You’ve Been Mispronouncing Like “GIF” by Thewhizzkid1(m): 9:08am On Nov 03, 2014
I don't agree with "internet" and "lol"
Re: 7 Internet Words You’ve Been Mispronouncing Like “GIF” by rutemi: 9:26am On Nov 03, 2014
Aiii
Re: 7 Internet Words You’ve Been Mispronouncing Like “GIF” by realugee: 9:27am On Nov 03, 2014
Hehe...
Re: 7 Internet Words You’ve Been Mispronouncing Like “GIF” by Nobody: 9:32am On Nov 03, 2014
wait o
The lol part is a joke right
Re: 7 Internet Words You’ve Been Mispronouncing Like “GIF” by uzolexis(f): 9:33am On Nov 03, 2014
Unnnhhh nininini grin

1 Like

Re: 7 Internet Words You’ve Been Mispronouncing Like “GIF” by Leitner: 9:45am On Nov 03, 2014
This thread is ____________.

Put in the new word for bullsh|t in that gap tongue .
Re: 7 Internet Words You’ve Been Mispronouncing Like “GIF” by Isiterere(m): 9:55am On Nov 03, 2014
I don't agree with any of this. It's total gibberish.

Check out all the pronunciation on google translator app and confirm.

ALL IZZ WELL
Re: 7 Internet Words You’ve Been Mispronouncing Like “GIF” by danthamccoy(m): 10:07am On Nov 03, 2014
Nonsense. Blatant lies.
Re: 7 Internet Words You’ve Been Mispronouncing Like “GIF” by Abbey2sam(m): 10:09am On Nov 03, 2014
Abajosax007:
Mind blowing, I know. It’s going to take some adjusting. You might even want to practice it in front of your mirror for a while. Now, I don’t want to overwhelm you, but we here at Slacktory have uncovered a few more words that we have all been
mispronouncing.
INTERNET: Did you know it is pronounced Eye-nternet, not Enter-net? This makes a lot of sense because the Internet is something you look at with your eyes, not enter with your
body.
Wi-Fi: While everyone thinks Wi-Fi is pronounced Why-Fy, it is actually pronounced wiffy. This is derived from the fact that most Wi-Fi hotspots are pretty iffy. Meme: Internet elitists will try to claim this word is pronounced meem, like the word gene. The truth is the word is pronounced Memmay, because it
URL: Most people will spell out this word saying U R L. Truth is it should be pronounced Earl, after the founder of Unified Resource Locations, Url Webbington III. VLOGGING: It is commonly believed that Vlogging is a variation of blogging, and is therefore pronounced the same way. But vlogging was originally used to describe the logging of many Vs, an abbreviation of videos. The correct pronunciation is Vee-Logging.
IP ADDRESS: It’s not eye pee address, as we all so vulgarly say. It’s pronounced Ip and was named after the famous martial artist Ip Man. Fun
fact: the very first IP address contains the birthdate, weight, and favorite numbers of Ip Man. LOL: Perhaps the most used and therefore the most mispronounced word in the eye-nternet vernacular.

who cares
Re: 7 Internet Words You’ve Been Mispronouncing Like “GIF” by wonlasewonimi: 11:06am On Nov 03, 2014
Olodo dey deceive teacher, Alaisan dey deceive Doctor...make you dey deceive NL people.

1 Like

Re: 7 Internet Words You’ve Been Mispronouncing Like “GIF” by Esdb(m): 11:58am On Nov 03, 2014
Abajosax007:
mispronouncing.
body.
ase oshi!!!
Re: 7 Internet Words You’ve Been Mispronouncing Like “GIF” by Nobody: 12:02pm On Nov 03, 2014
Esdb:
ase oshi!!!
ara re oya
Re: 7 Internet Words You’ve Been Mispronouncing Like “GIF” by Esdb(m): 12:08pm On Nov 03, 2014
Abajosax007:
ara re oya
ori n fo e
Re: 7 Internet Words You’ve Been Mispronouncing Like “GIF” by Mariecakes(f): 12:22pm On Nov 03, 2014
It is well..

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nigeria Army School Of Military, Application Form 2016/2017 Is On Sales. / Student Replies ASUU On What He Has Learnt During The Long Holiday / FRESH: Npower News 2020 – Latest Updates Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.