Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,426 members, 7,812,257 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 10:49 AM

OPPRESSION & EXTORTION by Edo State Traffic Management Agency(EDSTMA) - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / OPPRESSION & EXTORTION by Edo State Traffic Management Agency(EDSTMA) (746 Views)

Lady Poses For Picture In Deep Flood (Edo State) / Extortion By A Policeman Caught On Camera. / Sony Global Asset Management Agency Info ( Is It Real) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

OPPRESSION & EXTORTION by Edo State Traffic Management Agency(EDSTMA) by Nobody: 7:19am On Nov 03, 2014
last week I parked my vehicle in a place that had no "no parking" sign & There was another vehicle parked in my front with a police license plate

I barely spent 20mins in the office I went to, when I came out my vehicle had been towed.

Luckily for me their office was not so far off, got there and explained to the man who seem to be incharge, he claimed that, that was a no parking zone, I asked him how he expected me to know without the no parking sign, his response was "everyone knows"

he directed me to another woman to attend to me, she charged me N25,000, stating that 20,000 was for my offense & 5,000 was for the tow truck.

Long story short ended up paying N10,000. When I asked for receipt they handed the money back to me & asked that I go pay the 25,000, then I'll have a receipt. I paid the N10,000 & drove off

Points to note

1. Selective justice:why didn't they tow the vehicle in my front(note it wasn't a utility van or a patrol van)

2. They deflated my tires despite the fact they had a well fortified gate(the Vulcanizer initially charged me N400 for 2tires, ended up paying N200) why should I pay for this?

3.Everyone knows what the official fines are for FRSC but EDSTMA does not show you any official list of fines to be paid( so how do I know I'm not being ripped off)

There were so many cars there with lots of shouting, threats & pleas majority of the offenders there were wrong parking & violation of traffic light, none paid less than N5000

I read in a vanguard article where the Governor said that violators of tragic light should be detained for at least 2hrs, I don't know if there are any fines attached to it but when you get to their office, you must pay

If truly the pen is mightier than the sword, I hereby plead with all to help me pass the message to the appropriate authorities that:

1. The public should be informed on the extent of the powers of EDSTMA(I have tried searching the bill enabling them, I haven't found any)

2. The public should be informed of the official fines to be paid so that when arrested, you will not be ripped off

3.A platform should be created for the public to report erring officials of EDSTMA

Thanks

2 Likes

Re: OPPRESSION & EXTORTION by Edo State Traffic Management Agency(EDSTMA) by Nobody: 7:24am On Nov 03, 2014

He said: “You must not extort, you must not criminalise innocent people, you must not let offenders go after extortion. If anybody beats the red
light, you must arrest the person, no matter his status. If it’s the governor or deputy governor, you must arrest and interrogate him. The only person exempted from the red light rule is the President or Vice President, when they visit, in which case the
road will be blocked for their easy passage.

So, if you can stop and interrogate the governor for beating the red light rule, no other person is bigger in the state whom you can’t stop. Anybody that contravenes the red light rule, stop him and detain him for at least two hours Many innocent people have been crushed because someone wanted to contravene the red light rule. This must stop.

www.vanguardngr.com/2014/03/oshiomhole-edo-traffic-mgt-agency-arrest/

The governor didn't talk about fines, maybe there are fines

but the question is what is the official amount?

Why should I pay for the towing van?

Why should I pay to inflate my tires?

For 2 days I wasn't myself, felt so bad & angry. I'm immensely concerned because the Yuletide seasons are here & these corrupt official are going to increase their extortion.

If you are from Benin you will know the influx of cars in Benin around the Yuletide season. if this is not checked, then it will be a field day for EDSTMA
Re: OPPRESSION & EXTORTION by Edo State Traffic Management Agency(EDSTMA) by orobs93(m): 7:32am On Nov 03, 2014
Hahahahaha...oshoimole police you mean?
Funny people...and funny Nigerians.
Re: OPPRESSION & EXTORTION by Edo State Traffic Management Agency(EDSTMA) by Nobody: 9:34am On Nov 03, 2014
orobs93:
Hahahahaha...oshoimole police you mean?
Funny people...and funny Nigerians.

Yea that's what they are locally known as
Re: OPPRESSION & EXTORTION by Edo State Traffic Management Agency(EDSTMA) by Nobody: 12:35pm On Nov 05, 2014
Wow the sword is indeed mightier than the pen

If I had fought them off or did something violent, I'm sure there would have been torrents of post by now

(1) (Reply)

Football VS Fashion - [debate] / Y Would Seun Ban Me Till 2024?? / When Was The Last Time U Fought And How Did It Went ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.