Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,087 members, 7,811,049 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 09:39 PM

If God Is Only Good, How Can You Explain These Five Verses? - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / If God Is Only Good, How Can You Explain These Five Verses? (4598 Views)

Are You Married Or Preparing To? Biblical Verses That Will Strengthen You / Video : Black Magic Or Science ? Can You Explain This ? / Can Tithing Teachers Help Us Explain These Verses (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: If God Is Only Good, How Can You Explain These Five Verses? by MrPresident1: 5:03pm On Nov 10, 2014
xcapizt:
1. Isaiah 45:7 "I form the light, and create darkness: I make
peace and create evil, I the Lord do all these things."

2. Isaiah 54:16 "I have created the waster to destroy."

3. Prov 16:4 "The Lord has made all things for himself, yes even
the wicked for the day of evil."

4. Lamentations 3:38 "Out of the mouth of the most High
proceeds both evil and good."

5. Amos 3:6 "Shall there be evil in
a city, and the Lord hath not done it?"

You pick random verses without understanding context.
Do you have a complete picture of what Isaiah or Lamentations or Amos is all about? Do you understand the prophecies contained in those books? How often do you read the Bible?

Believe whatever you like, na U sabi wink
Re: If God Is Only Good, How Can You Explain These Five Verses? by Nobody: 5:18pm On Nov 10, 2014
MrPresident1:

You pick random verses without understanding context.
Am I quoting the Koran?

Do you have a complete picture of what Isaiah or Lamentations or Amos is all about? Do you understand the prophecies contained in those books?
Do you? Will you give us an exegesis?
How often do you read the Bible?
Probably more often than you do.

Believe whatever you like, na U sabi wink
You too wink grin
Re: If God Is Only Good, How Can You Explain These Five Verses? by frank317: 5:30pm On Nov 10, 2014
MizMyColi:

smiley cheesy

I have a soft spot for everyone and every experience that I've had to encounter to become the person I am today.

I post these things, not because, I'm an ardent bible reader, but because they make sense to me and somehow I believe that it'll inspire someone out there.

I have my convictions.

Yet, if I see an article that'll benefit a Christian, Atheist, Agnostic, Muslim or Budhist.......as long as it gives me a sense of peace....I'll share it.

The dismal part is that this isn't even about the defending the Christian God, because as is evidenced on this thread, the average/typical Christian doesn't believe what I first posted about their God.

They are strongly convinced that their God is Good and Evil at the same time. Because He is the almighty.

Well, what can I say.....if it give them a sense of peace and satisfaction to think that way, then by all means, let them keep on.

Thinking Out Loud Now
I made an interesting observation 2 days ago.

If you're earnestly looking to believe in a God, there is more than enough evidence to point in that direction.

If you're earnestly looking to disbelieve in a God, there's a million and one evidence to point in that direction.

I hate religious talks, I have been avoiding this section.
I hate the the toll it takes on me.
I hate the divide it causes.

It is evident that no matter what you say or do, Mr A would never subscribe to Mr B's beliefs......so why stress it, why mar the beauty of our unity, despite our diversities.

We take arguments too far in this section, too far.

I maintain that the answers we seek about God or Un-God lies within, not without (Bible Inclusive).

I have observed that in this section, there is so much divide and disdain.
Imagine a christian who is supposed to be in the image and likeness of Christ calling a fellow human a Satanist.

I am not saying that we shouldn't raise topics or ask questions......but then, I have observed, from all sections of the divide (mine inclusive), that what we do, or should I say our motive, is to show to others how our realities, our worldviews and our beliefs/unbeliefs certainly trumps theirs.

More oft than not, We make comments or post topics, not because we truly love people and have their best interests at heart or because we really, really want to learn. Instead we do so, with a deep underlying motive, which most times, is not so evident to us.........we want to be correct, we want to show them how high we've come, we want them to believe in what we believe - whether or not it gives them a sense of peace.

It makes us become the very thing we try to emancipate ourselves from, religious/unreligious bigots.....and it's attendant unpleasantness.

Awwww... So sweet and true but very impossible.
Early in the mornings, in the buses, TV and radio stations, even in the comfort of our homes, Christians are doing what they feel is their mission on earth. They preach!! They tell you you are wicked because you are a lady and u wear wig, earring or trouser. They tell u that u are condemned to hell because u are a Muslim. They tell u are sinful and dirty because you don't go to church or pay ur tithe. The Muslims are not left out. They call u infidels because you are not a Muslim. They wake you up by five thirty in the morning with meaningless noise. U must listen.

Nairaland religious section is one place I talk about this arrogance being shoved into our mouths. U see people u are morally better than condemn u for not believing what they do and you wouldn't want to ask them bothering questions when you get the chance? You will not ridicle them when u gt the chance?

This war will continue till eternity.
Re: If God Is Only Good, How Can You Explain These Five Verses? by MrPresident1: 5:37pm On Nov 10, 2014
xcapizt:
Am I quoting the Koran? Do you? Will you give us an exegesis? Probably more often than you do.

You too wink grin

I will not give you an exegesis because it is of no use.
Humble yourself before God.
Re: If God Is Only Good, How Can You Explain These Five Verses? by Misogynist2014(m): 6:14pm On Nov 10, 2014
frank317:

Awwww... So sweet and true but very impossible.
Early in the mornings, in the buses, TV and radio stations, even in the comfort of our homes, Christians are doing what they feel is their mission on earth. They preach!! They tell you you are wicked because you are a lady and u wear wig, earring or trouser. They tell u that u are condemned to hell because u are a Muslim. They tell u are sinful and dirty because you don't go to church or pay ur tithe. The Muslims are not left out. They call u infidels because you are not a Muslim. They wake you up by five thirty in the morning with meaningless noise. U must listen.

Nairaland religious section is one place I talk about this arrogance being shoved into our mouths. U see people u are morally better than condemn u for not believing what they do and you wouldn't want to ask them bothering questions when you get the chance? You will not ridicle them when u gt the chance?

This war will continue till eternity.
If God doesn't exist, it is necessary to invent him.
Re: If God Is Only Good, How Can You Explain These Five Verses? by Misogynist2014(m): 6:19pm On Nov 10, 2014
MizMyColi:

smiley cheesy

I have a soft spot for everyone and every experience that I've had to encounter to become the person I am today.

I post these things, not because, I'm an ardent bible reader, but because they make sense to me and somehow I believe that it'll inspire someone out there.

I have my convictions.

Yet, if I see an article that'll benefit a Christian, Atheist, Agnostic, Muslim or Budhist.......as long as it gives me a sense of peace....I'll share it.

The dismal part is that this isn't even about the defending the Christian God, because as is evidenced on this thread, the average/typical Christian doesn't believe what I first posted about their God.

They are strongly convinced that their God is Good and Evil at the same time. Because He is the almighty.

Well, what can I say.....if it give them a sense of peace and satisfaction to think that way, then by all means, let them keep on.

Thinking Out Loud Now
I made an interesting observation 2 days ago.

If you're earnestly looking to believe in a God, there is more than enough evidence to point in that direction.

If you're earnestly looking to disbelieve in a God, there's a million and one evidence to point in that direction.

I hate religious talks, I have been avoiding this section.
I hate the the toll it takes on me.
I hate the divide it causes.

It is evident that no matter what you say or do, Mr A would never subscribe to Mr B's beliefs......so why stress it, why mar the beauty of our unity, despite our diversities.

We take arguments too far in this section, too far.

I maintain that the answers we seek about God or Un-God lies within, not without (Bible Inclusive).

I have observed that in this section, there is so much divide and disdain.
Imagine a christian who is supposed to be in the image and likeness of Christ calling a fellow human a Satanist.

I am not saying that we shouldn't raise topics or ask questions......but then, I have observed, from all sections of the divide (mine inclusive), that what we do, or should I say our motive, is to show to others how our realities, our worldviews and our beliefs/unbeliefs certainly trumps theirs.

More oft than not, We make comments or post topics, not because we truly love people and have their best interests at heart or because we really, really want to learn. Instead we do so, with a deep underlying motive, which most times, is not so evident to us.........we want to be correct, we want to show them how high we've come, we want them to believe in what we believe - whether or not it gives them a sense of peace.

It makes us become the very thing we try to emancipate ourselves from, religious/unreligious bigots.....and it's attendant unpleasantness.

Arguments are not meant to be conclusive, it is just an expression of divergent views. sad
Re: If God Is Only Good, How Can You Explain These Five Verses? by Nobody: 6:26pm On Nov 10, 2014
MrPresident1:

I will not give you an exegesis because it is of no use.
Humble yourself before God.
You think my problem is pride, right? I don't think so, but just in case you're right, how do I do this humbling before God thing?
Re: If God Is Only Good, How Can You Explain These Five Verses? by Misogynist2014(m): 6:27pm On Nov 10, 2014
xcapizt:
1. Isaiah 45:7 "I form the light, and create darkness: I make
peace and create evil, I the Lord do all these things."

2. Isaiah 54:16 "I have created the waster to destroy."

3. Prov 16:4 "The Lord has made all things for himself, yes even
the wicked for the day of evil."

4. Lamentations 3:38 "Out of the mouth of the most High
proceeds both evil and good."

5. Amos 3:6 "Shall there be evil in
a city, and the Lord hath not done it?"
It is imposible to create good without evil. If you are an evil dooer, do you expect to be paid with good? A scientist who creates a base, automatically produces an acid, it is when the pH is lowered considerably, that is when an average man realises this. My proverb is meant for the wise. sad
Re: If God Is Only Good, How Can You Explain These Five Verses? by Nobody: 6:43pm On Nov 10, 2014
Misogynist2014:
It is imposible to create good without evil. If you are an evil dooer, do you expect to be paid with good? A scientist who creates a base, automatically produces an acid, it is when the pH is lowered considerably, that is when an average man realises this. My proverb is meant for the wise. sad
@emboldened is there anything that is impossible with God? Luke 1:37 "nothing is impossible with God." so don't insult him by limiting his ability.

Evil doesn't predate God, and it must have an origin, my simple question has been, where did it originally emanate from? Before anything got corrupted, everything was perfect, everything was under God's jurisdiction; even the so called Lucifer...what happened?
Re: If God Is Only Good, How Can You Explain These Five Verses? by Misogynist2014(m): 8:08pm On Nov 10, 2014
xcapizt:

@emboldened is there anything that is impossible with God? Luke 1:37 "nothing is impossible with God." so don't insult him by limiting his ability.

Evil doesn't predate God, and it must have an origin, my simple question has been, where did it originally emanate from? Before anything got corrupted, everything was perfect, everything was under God's jurisdiction; even the so called Lucifer...what happened?
There was no place in my entire post that said God didn't create evil, I only said evil is in good. As for where everything went wrong, all didn't go imperfect from God, it became imperfect from the misuse of 'free will.'
Re: If God Is Only Good, How Can You Explain These Five Verses? by MrPresident1: 9:52am On Nov 11, 2014
xcapizt:

You think my problem is pride, right? I don't think so, but just in case you're right, how do I do this humbling before God thing?

No I do not think your problem is pride. I initially thought you were out to make mockery of the Bible, but it appears your question is genuine afteral.

The merciful and gracious God is also the consuming fire.

BTW, do you believe in reincarnation?
Re: If God Is Only Good, How Can You Explain These Five Verses? by Nobody: 11:03am On Nov 11, 2014
MrPresident1:

No I do not think your problem is pride. I initially thought you were out to make mockery of the Bible, but it looks it appears your question is genuine afteral.

The merciful and gracious God is also the consuming fire.

BTW, do you believe in reincarnation?

Reincarnation as in?
Re: If God Is Only Good, How Can You Explain These Five Verses? by MrPresident1: 11:10am On Nov 11, 2014
xcapizt:

Reincarnation as in?
Reincarnation na, die, go, come back. You believe in it?
Re: If God Is Only Good, How Can You Explain These Five Verses? by Nobody: 11:33am On Nov 11, 2014
MrPresident1:

Reincarnation na, die, go, come back. You believe in it?
No. Why?
Re: If God Is Only Good, How Can You Explain These Five Verses? by MrPresident1: 11:41am On Nov 11, 2014
xcapizt:

No. Why?

God is just, and there is no shadow of iniquity with Him. I am sure you agree with this statement.

Does it stand to reason therefore that reincarnation may just be the explanation of evil?

Let us approach the Bible logically and scientifically.

1 Like

Re: If God Is Only Good, How Can You Explain These Five Verses? by Nobody: 12:41pm On Nov 11, 2014
MrPresident1:

God is just, and there is no shadow of iniquity with Him. I am sure you agree with this statement.

Does it stand to reason therefore that reincarnation may just be the explanation of evil?

Let us approach the Bible logically and scientifically.

Okay, I'm on board. Continue.
Re: If God Is Only Good, How Can You Explain These Five Verses? by MrPresident1: 1:20pm On Nov 11, 2014
xcapizt:

Okay, I'm on board. Continue.

See Bro, You have to have a total picture of the Bible to be able to understand things in perspective. The most difficult part of the job is the part that one has to do by oneself, you will have to READ the book, you will have to read it to understand, and then you will truly be free.

It is a daunting task, but lets start here;

Words in the Bible aren't exactly what they mean in everyday usage.

You can start from here;

http://www.revelation-today.com/A1Bible%20Symbols.htm#Eye
http://www.teachinghearts.org/dre00symbols.html

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

See What My Pastor Did That Made Me Quit My Church Today. / Pastor Chris Oyakhilome: He Loads Us With Benefits / Fellow Christians Please Help Me Out.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.