Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,726 members, 7,809,771 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:37 PM

Why Do People Like Apple Computers? - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Why Do People Like Apple Computers? (8988 Views)

Apple Computers. / Apple Vs Non-apple Computers / Microsoft And Apple Computers Which Is Better? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do People Like Apple Computers? by ladex142(m): 9:48am On Aug 06, 2006
I don't like apple computers/laptops because of the fact that one can only run limited amount of programs on it, softwares developers don't always port their software to the Apple machines and gaming on an apple computer is no good either. It's supprising for me to find out that some great amount of people love apple computers and i don't know why.

So I've decided to come here to seek answers to my question: Why Do People Like Apple Computers ?
Do we have any Nairaland user that uses a Mac computer? I need some answers.
Re: Why Do People Like Apple Computers? by dondele(m): 10:29pm On Aug 06, 2006
i dont know the version of MAC you have but the version my friend has and the one i ordered, runs both MAC OS and PC in it. meaning you can run both windows and MAC in the system. all the softwares he wants are available for him and even MS office are in it.
Re: Why Do People Like Apple Computers? by alexis(m): 2:12pm On Aug 07, 2006
ladex142,

Simply put - MAC is one of the best OS you will ever get. Before Windows 95 came out, MAC OS 8 was doing everything windows dreamt of.

MAC has a BSD-like kernel which makes it even more interesting, this means that you can run opensource softwares right off the back. The new intel based MACs allows you run windows and apple OS - http://www.apple.com/getamac/.

I can go on and on but I have nevered one day regretted why I got my iBook G4.
Re: Why Do People Like Apple Computers? by Seun(m): 1:37am On Aug 08, 2006
Last year, someone started the following thread:
- 'I Think Nigerians Need Macintosh Computers!'
Re: Why Do People Like Apple Computers? by Rams(m): 5:27am On Aug 08, 2006
People that like Apple computers are usually of a particlar niche. Usually graphic designers, video editors, professional web designers, etc. For those people, some of the best software they need do run on macs. Apple has developed a cult like following because their users think their products are far superior to PCs. Maybe they are, who knows?

dondele:

i don't know the version of MAC you have but the version my friend has and the one i ordered, runs both MAC OS and PC in it. meaning you can run both windows and MAC in the system. all the softwares he wants are available for him and even MS office are in it.

Those are the new intel based macs (I believe they are called MacBooks). Because of the new intel processors, the Macbooks now run Windows XP. All older macs were were PowerPC based. They used RISC processors.
Re: Why Do People Like Apple Computers? by xqsmemiss(m): 10:35am On Aug 08, 2006
alexis u talk well, apple is a very good OS. ts like opensource. people like em cos it is safe. dey dont make virus for them (macintosh included). if ur abt safety rather den lifestyle trend den u made a very good choice. if u have a business it is more practical 2 have 1.
Re: Why Do People Like Apple Computers? by Hunter(m): 12:23pm On Aug 08, 2006
I don't like apple computers because their hardware is overpriced, their support line is garbage and the security point is null in my oppinion because it would be a very foolish thing to assume that you can't have any virus's/spyware.

I also don't like apple's buisness practices, for instance the iTunes music store and compatability with other players.
Re: Why Do People Like Apple Computers? by gbadex1(m): 3:32pm On Aug 08, 2006
Hunter:
I don't like apple computers because their hardware is overpriced, their support line is garbage and the security point is null in my oppinion because it would be a very foolish thing to assume that you can't have any virus's/spyware.

I also don't like apple's buisness practices, for instance the iTunes music store and compatability with other players.

. . .in my opinion, you wrote that out of hatred and envy. what Media Player couldn't do, iTunes is doing with Apple reaping all the benefits, so don't give me talk about you not liking apple's bizness pratices, after all, they've been very succesful so far.

i got me a macmini, and their lastest version of Apple, macOSX 10.4. you need to operate this thingy before you judge. i've operated both the latest versions of OSes , both Microsoft and Apple i.e 10.4 and Vista, and i can tell you confidently, Microsoft's   been stealing Apple's ideas. the GUI of Vista is exactly the same as that on the mac series. not only has microsoft been stealing apple's ideas, they've been stealing their bizness pratices, so don't tell sh*t about the mac.

Seun:
Last year, someone started the following thread:
 - 'I Think Nigerians Need Macintosh Computers!'

. . .i'm that person.
Re: Why Do People Like Apple Computers? by Hunter(m): 5:42am On Aug 09, 2006
Uh gbade, I've use an iBook all the time (i've got one on my lap at the momment in fact)

If you think apple is original I think you should have a look at the "new" features coming in os x 10.5 Leopard, then come and tell me how there original again.

Obviously the mac has advantages over windows as does windows over mac, blind devotion to one system is just plain ridiculous.
Re: Why Do People Like Apple Computers? by ladex142(m): 5:50am On Aug 09, 2006
Ok guys, i now see reasons why some people prefer apple computers and I'll still have to say that the Mac do not seems to draw my attention but somehow i want to see reasons why an average guy would want to buy a Mac, might even consider getting one myself. If i happen to get one, I'll still have to run Windows on the other side anyways so can you guys give me reasons why the need to go through that extra road. Am saying all this because i do not know what benefit an average guy like me would enjoy/get from an apple computer that a windows already haven't done.
Rams:

People that like Apple computers are usually of a particular niche. Usually graphic designers, video editors, professional web designers, etc. For those people, some of the best software they need do run on macs. Apple has developed a cult like following because their users think their products are far superior to PCs. Maybe they are, who knows?

Those are the new Intel based macs (I believe they are called MacBooks). Because of the new Intel processors, the Macbooks now run Windows XP. All older macs were were PowerPC based. They used RISC processors.

What does a Mac OS has that a Windows OS do not have, what do people like in MacOS. Am curious because i would like to find reasons to own an apple computer.
Re: Why Do People Like Apple Computers? by gbadex1(m): 6:04pm On Aug 09, 2006
more virus protection. you don't have to worry some stupid sh*tty virus is going to mess up your hard drive, whereas Windows is like a f*cking LovePeddler
Re: Why Do People Like Apple Computers? by segedoo(m): 10:04pm On Aug 10, 2006
apart from all the tech stuffs, imacs and ibooks are lovely art pieces man and besides apple has finally agreed to run windows anyway. if Bill with all his business acumen was in charge of apple and not MS, one can only imagine how well the company would have done cos they've got stuffs to offer but don't really do business well. steve jobs is more of an inventor.
Re: Why Do People Like Apple Computers? by diddy4(m): 4:43am On Aug 11, 2006
cant wait to get my mac with the intel chip.
Re: Why Do People Like Apple Computers? by ladex142(m): 11:00pm On Aug 11, 2006
diddy4:

can't wait to get my mac with the intel chip.

Why are you so excited ?

Re: Why Do People Like Apple Computers? by alexis(m): 1:35pm On Aug 12, 2006
Most people think apple users are a cult and follow apple blindly, that is a narrow view of looking at the situation. I made alot of contribution to the thread gbade.x opened the last time.

We should all look at the advantages and disadvantages of the OSs we use and see how they can streamline our business processes and make life easier for all of us.

Do you know why most people use Windows? because they can get it free unlicensed versions of the OS and packages that run on windows illegally - do you think every Nigerian that is using windows bought it legally? no they didn't, they can go to computer village, pay someone =N=500 and buy a windows OS. If everyone was buying windows legally, I bet you only a handful of nigerians we be using windows products.

If you could get a MAC illegally, you will propably be happy with MAC as well but the good news is that you can't, even if you get the OS, where would you run it? So, the boys at apple have done their work and we should give then 2 thumbs up for that.

I hear people say that MACs are expensive - on the contrary, they are cheaper compared to their PC rivals, how? very simple. Apple encourages people to buy MACs on an installment basis, I got my ibook G4 for $999 and because my friend had good credit - he paid $30 every month until I finished paying for it.

I hear people say but we don't have that system in Nigeria, is Apple to blame for that. If a company starts selling MACs on an installment basis in Nigeria, I bet you alot of well meaning Nigerians we appreciate owning a MAC computer.

MACs are great product - from the mac-mini up to the G5 server and X serve machines - stable, rock solid and sweet. They have a devout following that will only increase as years pass, why? because they are better machines.

MACs compared to Windows - please view this link http://www.apple.com/getamac/
Re: Why Do People Like Apple Computers? by donmayor(m): 4:08pm On Aug 12, 2006
500naira for windows OS? They've been robbing you blind. I get it from Emeka at 150naira. Who cares about illegal software in Nigeria? Is it someone who used his savings to manage to buy a pentium 3 PC dat would go and buy genuine windows XP? Poverty and poverty thinking (both different things cos a rich man can have a poverty mentality), the main problem confronting Nigeria, is the cause of our dependence on substandard and pirated goods.
Re: Why Do People Like Apple Computers? by ladex142(m): 4:26pm On Aug 12, 2006
donmayor:

500naira for windows OS? They've been robbing you blind. I get it from Emeka at 150naira. Who cares about illegal software in Nigeria? Is it someone who used his savings to manage to buy a pentium 3 PC that would go and buy genuine windows XP? Poverty and poverty thinking (both different things because a rich man can have a poverty mentality), the main problem confronting Nigeria, is the cause of our dependence on substandard and pirated goods.

TRUE!

Re: Why Do People Like Apple Computers? by Hunter(m): 2:27am On Aug 13, 2006
While piracy maybe a reason why people in nigeria use it what about almost every single buisness in 1st world countries, I assure you that they do not pirate windows.
Re: Why Do People Like Apple Computers? by alexis(m): 2:55am On Aug 13, 2006
Ladex,

Right - and since Nigeria is not a perfect society, let us stand up and do the right thing. Getting a Windows OS illegally is wrong but because you get it for =N=150, it makes it the best OS to you. If apple was running on PC and you were getting it for =N=150 from Emeka, you sure wouldn't complain. So, illegally acquiring Windows OS is one of the reasons that makes it popular - do you agree?

Since we are not talking about how we acquire windows but how stable, secure and robust it is compared to a MAC, I will tell you this much. Windows is made for dumb people - by that, i don't mean the people using windows are stupid, just that they are lazy. I have used windows before but not on an administrative level. For the last 2 years, I have actively used MAC, Centos and OpenBSD in several environments and I will you that - I don't find it hard managing windows systems with the knowledge of unix I have but if the reverse was the case - you will have people banging their heads.
Re: Why Do People Like Apple Computers? by alexis(m): 3:01am On Aug 13, 2006
Secondly - not all 3rd world countries pirate Windows software. I work for a consult for a company here in Ghana that uses all MAC systems and two windows systems, one Windows 2000 for running our motorola canopy updater tool for our SMs and APs (I successfully ported it to MAC later since it was running on Java - took be about 1 week back and forth with motorola developers) and Windows 2003 to run microsoft money because of the 10 digits we have in Ghana because of the cedis, other accounting apps couldn't handle it well and also to monitor our IPPlanet clients because the E-services software runs on asp and you can check it using only explorer.

Aside these - we use MACs. The windows laptop has crashed a couple of times (the usual virus, spyware etc) but the MACs are still rocking.
Re: Why Do People Like Apple Computers? by sk8erboi(m): 12:49pm On Aug 16, 2006
most pple complain bout apple out of ignorance,but i tell u once u get up close wit it ull be hookd 4eva.its hardware sleek,software more advanced,infact sum of da features comin up on the new vista hav been on mac os 4 sumtym now.also it has da uniqueness of both da hardware and operatin sys. been designd by thesame company.
Re: Why Do People Like Apple Computers? by donmayor(m): 6:47pm On Aug 16, 2006
Why should I get a MAC if i can't get cracks for their programs, Ohh before I even think of getting cracks for their programs, where are the programs? MACs don't have a huge library of programs that windows has and people like me who love experimenting with new programs would get bored. Apple have great designs but I am sure that if the MAC has the same market share as windows, you would be getting viruses daily and Apple would be slow to respond like they did when they were complains of cracked ipod nano screens last year tongue
Re: Why Do People Like Apple Computers? by ladex142(m): 8:36pm On Aug 16, 2006
from donmavor
MACs don't have a huge library of programs that windows has and people like me who love experimenting with new programs would get bored.

That is probably my greatest problem with Mac. I personally believe that softwares is the soul of a computer. When a computer is denied (in one form or the other) the privilege of running diverse softwares from all categories known, then such computer is of little or no use to me.It's a big problem to me if i can't get vast availability of the very best and latest softwares or programs that is readily executable on my PC. That's probably one of the issue that led me into looking for reasons why some people prefer Macs to PCs.

I know that Mac are common with programmers and music producer but i still don't see a reason why majority of people that are not into software or music development and production would want to use a Mac (other than play DVDs,CDs,  browse the internet and manage the few softwares available for Mac grin).

Apple have great designs but I am sure that if the MAC has the same market share as windows, you would be getting viruses daily and Apple would be slow to respond like they did when they were complains of cracked ipod nano screens last year

That's a very good and excellent point  shocked cheesy , that is true !!!! ***clapping***
Re: Why Do People Like Apple Computers? by alexis(m): 9:30pm On Aug 16, 2006
MAC has tonnes of free softwares and cracks - just that you wouldn't know because you don't use a MAC. Check out SerialSeeker, its a software that contains all the cracks for most programs that run on a MAC.

I have a collection of over 7000 free softwares that run on a MAC, we have it on our file server in the office and I will love to share with other MAC users. I really can't see what software that can run on windows that doesn't have an equivalent on a MAC. You name it and I will tell you that MAC does it better and with style.

1. Programming - Java is already shipped with MAC, so is python, apache, mysql, openssl, gcc etc.
2. Office Suite - MS-Office runs on MAC, Open office runs on MAC, Apple works in also included
3. Web Development - php is installed off the back, WEBDAV is there, you can install perl, jsp, psp and other opensource cross platform technologies.
4. Web editing - Dreamweaver, Flash and the Macromedia suite runs on MAC
5. Video Editing - This is were a MAC simply beats windows hands down - final cut pro, iDVD, iMovie HD, etc.
6. IM - Yahoo messenger, msn messenger, trillian etc.

If you are talking about your traditional windows technologies and how lazy windows make you at development - well, I have good news for you; you can run windows and OS X on the new intel MAC systems.

What microsoft has done is that they have given developers a platform to write alot of apps which is a good thing but the drawback is that these apps only run on windows.

Did I mention you don't have virus problems like the way you do on windows - people tend to say that very soon viruses will be written for MACs. You see, every good programmer knows that when you design a software or an OS, you do it with security in mind. Let me give you a simple example - install a windows system and do all the updates and put it on the internet with a public IP, do the same for a MAC with the default configurations. A will confidently tell you that the Windows OS was hacked in no time.

So guys, wake up - a MAC is a unix box with a sweet interface that makes your life easier
Re: Why Do People Like Apple Computers? by sk8erboi(m): 12:13pm On Aug 17, 2006
dat was cool alexis,lookin 4wrd to sharing some of ur programs
Re: Why Do People Like Apple Computers? by alexis(m): 10:07am On Aug 19, 2006
sk8erboi

If you use a MAC, just let me know the kind of software you need. If you write apps - I will advise you to visit http://develop.apple.com
Re: Why Do People Like Apple Computers? by ladex142(m): 4:42pm On Aug 19, 2006
All you apple lovers, what do you have to say to gamers who loves PC gaming. Apple struggles or should i say the Mac is left behind when it come to gaming, i mean which game developer would want to loose money by porting their game for the Mac  grin. Yes i know you can now run windows on a Mac, can the mac really do without windows  grin (i know what your answer would be, am just joking), besides you can't run windows and mac at the same time, one as to be shut down for the other.

Re: Why Do People Like Apple Computers? by alexis(m): 1:46pm On Aug 20, 2006
ladex142,

Your last post confirmed you don't know much about MACs. Ask any MAC user and they will tell you that MAC games are far better than windows games. I play a few games on MAC i.e Civilaziation, Shreak, Halo, Command & Conquer etc.

Dude - come over to the better side man, microsh*t is going down and it's everywhere. As I am writing this thread, a client just brought his windows laptop complaining about spam and anti-virus. At least this is a sunday I will make some extra coins thanks to Microsh*t grin.

I advised the client to run suse and sleep well at night.
Re: Why Do People Like Apple Computers? by Hunter(m): 3:29pm On Aug 20, 2006
How is a game ported to macintosh better? I don't understand how something that comes out later and has less support in both mods and multiplayer is better than the windows version.

and if Microsoft is going down they seem to be posting rather large profit compared to the wonder child mac.
Re: Why Do People Like Apple Computers? by ladex142(m): 8:56pm On Aug 20, 2006
How is a game ported to macintosh better? I don't understand how something that comes out later and has less support in both mods and multiplayer is better than the windows version.

I wanted to ask the same question myself. Alexis, what's your system configuration/specification that made you said that gaming on a Mac is better than windows , apart from that, gaming experience on a Mac can never be better than windows. I tried out a Mac myself in school out of curiousity and i did not see anything special about the system, to tell you the truth, i find the interface of the Mac OS boring and dull, i don't know if it is because of the version of the OS i was using.

And you always talk about spam,spyware and the likes of them, well their are alot of anti-programs that takes care of that and it's fun to take charge and protection of your system. I do not get any problems of spyware, virus and what not, because am protected. Ranging from firewall, antivirus, antispyware, anonymous IP programs etc. It's the price you have to pay for enjoying a better experience of a resourceful OS and i don't think it's a huge price to pay, just set the programs and you're done. People who have problems with virus and spyware do so because of lack of proper preventive upkeeping knowledge. Am a big pcgame fan and it's good to know that i can get the latest and current games; not having to wait 2-3 years to get a Mac version and it's not even ganranteed or certain that all the game would be available as well. Why not be happy with windows and do all things through windows has strengthened me grin.

I think that the Mac does not surpass windows in any form it's just a peference of people to use a Mac. What makes a PC a good system and a good Mac is its component and specification, and also a good OS. Well, my choice is the windows OS and i think it's the best kiss

Re: Why Do People Like Apple Computers? by dakmanzero(m): 5:04pm On Aug 21, 2006
people like macs because

1) they are not gamers (Macs are absolute and total rubbish when it comes to games)
2) they are not power users (They prefer software that 'just works' and hate flexibility and configurability)
3) they hate computer hardware (They like the way apple hides the true nature of the machine behind a shiny, glossy exterior and tries to pretend that things like RAM and internal bus standards/driver revisions do not exist)
4) they don't care about sharing information (an open document standard is an oxymoron when 99.9999% of the people on the face of the earth have access to a different format)
5) they are GOOD PEOPLE who do not pirate software
6) they believe in security by obscurity (macs are only considered secure because they are not being targeted by hackers and virus writers. At defcon early this month hackers showed how to own a macbook via wireless via a driver bug! DRIVERS!!!!!!)
7) the most important one- THEY ARE RICH. yes, mac users are rich. you have to be rich to justify a 100% price increase for an inferior (performance-wise) product for the benefit of usability, which is a luxury.

Computers are complex, people. Learn how to use them. Install Linux and understand the machines you wish to use. Dont cover your eyes and pretend you are using a computer when fooling aroubnd on a mac!!!!
Re: Why Do People Like Apple Computers? by ladex142(m): 9:42pm On Aug 21, 2006
2) they are not power users (They prefer software that 'just works' and hate flexibility and configurability)
mind if i extend this cheesy
;and so apple users can be concluded to be lazy people tongue grin (just joking wink)

(1) (2) (Reply)

Direct USA Used Laptops / Help On How To Unlock ZTE MF667 Modem? / Computer Literacy and Uses of Computers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.