Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,153 members, 7,953,581 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 07:45 PM

Why Do The Roman Catholic Add More Books To The Bible? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Do The Roman Catholic Add More Books To The Bible? (5587 Views)

A List Of False Teachings In The Roman Catholic Church / Islam Created By The Roman Catholic / Idol Worship In The Roman Catholic Church (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do The Roman Catholic Add More Books To The Bible? by Ukutsgp(m): 9:54am On Nov 07, 2014
Why is it that the roman catholic went and added more books to the inspired books in the bible?

Did they have the right to do so?

Are those additional book accepted by the early church?

Are they inspired of God?

Are the teachings contained in those books in line with what is found in the 66 books of the bible?

Those are some questions that are begging for answers.

What do you have to say about this?
Re: Why Do The Roman Catholic Add More Books To The Bible? by Raiders: 10:37am On Nov 07, 2014
Ukutsgp:
Why is it that the roman catholic went and added more books to the inspired books in the bible?

Did they have the right to do so?

Are those additional book accepted by the early church?

Are they inspired of God?

Are the teachings contained in those books in line with what is found in the 66 books of the bible?

Those are some questions that are begging for answers.

What do you have to say about this?
you need to read about the history of the bible. The bible is more than 66 books. It was a pope ( cant remember his name) who reduced the number of books in the bible to 66 books to form what we call the bible.
Re: Why Do The Roman Catholic Add More Books To The Bible? by AnodaIT(m): 10:56am On Nov 07, 2014
Catholic added more books? That is laughable

Do your research more, the Roman Catholic actually reduced the numbers of books used for teachings and compiled the ones they could verify and gave Christendom the Bible. They just decided to keep the other books separate cos there was no convincing verification at that time though it was still edifying.

Roman Catholic Church gave us the Bible in this form.

1 Like

Re: Why Do The Roman Catholic Add More Books To The Bible? by Ukutsgp(m): 11:09am On Nov 07, 2014
AnodaIT:
Catholic added more books? That is laughable

Do your research more, the Roman Catholic actually reduced the numbers of books used for teachings and compiled the ones they could verify and gave Christendom the Bible. They just decided to keep the other books separate cos there was no convincing verification at that time though it was still edifying.

Roman Catholic Church gave us the Bible in this form.
they did nt reduce, they added to the 66 books. Their own contains about 73 instead of 66. The catholic did nt give us the bible but God.
Re: Why Do The Roman Catholic Add More Books To The Bible? by AnodaIT(m): 11:27am On Nov 07, 2014
Ukutsgp:
they did nt reduce, they added to the 66 books. Their own contains about 73 instead of 66. The catholic did nt give us the bible but God.
The books of the bible, the individual scriptures were given by God and written by men inspired by God. And there were many of these books, some questionable. Who took all these inspired scriptures and compiled them into one book and declared it to be used by the church? Roman Catholic.

Go and read about the Council of Hippo, Trent, Nicene etc when the Church decided to create a unified system of Worship because of the clashes that occurred when some people preferred to follow Peter's teaching or Paul's teaching. This gave birth to the Universal Catholic Church and the Bible

1 Like

Re: Why Do The Roman Catholic Add More Books To The Bible? by Ukutsgp(m): 12:25pm On Nov 07, 2014
AnodaIT:

The books of the bible, the individual scriptures were given by God and written by men inspired by God. And there were many of these books, [color=000099]some questionable[/color]. Who took all these inspired scriptures and compiled them into one book and declared it to be used by the church? Roman Catholic.

Go and read about the Council of Hippo, Trent, Nicene etc when the Church decided to create a unified system of Worship because of the clashes that occurred when some people preferred to follow Peter's teaching or Paul's teaching. This gave birth to the Universal Catholic Church and the Bible
so they compiled some 66 and some 73? And which are the questionable ones they added?

What do you know about KJV bible?
Re: Why Do The Roman Catholic Add More Books To The Bible? by AgreatMan: 1:16pm On Nov 07, 2014
wrong topic, it should be: 'why did the catholics reduced the books of the bible to just 66?

d op is an ignorant man, which is not an issue. The issue is he is either too lazy to make his research or simply wants to criticize at all course or mayb he's looking 4 attention so as 2 mk fp.

wonder what y sm people hv ish with one denomination, my church is where Jesus is, join me or ur soul will burn in Hell. What happened to d greatest commandment, LOVE?
Re: Why Do The Roman Catholic Add More Books To The Bible? by italo: 1:45pm On Nov 07, 2014
Raiders:
you need to read about the history of the bible. The bible is more than 66 books. It was a pope ( cant remember his name) who reduced the number of books in the bible to 66 books to form what we call the bible.

No Pope reduced the books to 66.

The books of the Bible have been 73 right from the inception of the Bible in the 4th century.

It was Martin Luther who removed books that didn't fit his heresy.

He also attempted to remove the book of James. He called it "Epistle of straws."
Re: Why Do The Roman Catholic Add More Books To The Bible? by Ukutsgp(m): 2:45pm On Nov 07, 2014
AgreatMan:
wrong topic, it should be: 'why did the catholics reduced the books of the bible to just 66?

d op is an ignorant man, which is not an issue. The issue is he is either too lazy to make his research or simply wants to criticize at all course or mayb he's looking 4 attention so as 2 mk fp.

wonder what y sm people hv ish with one denomination, my church is where Jesus is, join me or ur soul will burn in Hell. What happened to d greatest commandment, LOVE?
u are the most ignorant of all. Do u think i'm looking for fame on a faceless forum like this? Monkey like u.

U need to update your knowledge. I dnt even know why i'm replying ur silly post.
Re: Why Do The Roman Catholic Add More Books To The Bible? by Ukutsgp(m): 2:59pm On Nov 07, 2014
italo:

No Pope reduced the books to 66.

The books of the Bible have been 73 right from the inception of the Bible in the 4th century.

It was Martin Luther who removed books that didn't fit his heresy.

He also attempted to remove the book of James. He called it "Epistle of straws."
the books in the bible has been 66. it was the roman catholic church that added the spurious uninspired apocryphal books to it to support their ungodly traditions and dogma.
Re: Why Do The Roman Catholic Add More Books To The Bible? by italo: 3:20pm On Nov 07, 2014
Who made it 66, and when?

When did the Catholic Church add books?

3 Likes

Re: Why Do The Roman Catholic Add More Books To The Bible? by AgreatMan: 3:45pm On Nov 07, 2014
Ukutsgp:
u are the most ignorant of all. Do u think i'm looking for fame on a faceless forum like this? Monkey like u.

U need to update your knowledge. I dnt even know why i'm replying ur silly post.

There is no point starting a rather pointless argument with u n for dat, dis monkey will shut-tup n eat his babana.
Re: Why Do The Roman Catholic Add More Books To The Bible? by Ukutsgp(m): 3:49pm On Nov 07, 2014
AgreatMan:

There is no point starting a rather pointless argument with u n for dat, dis monkey will shut-tup n eat his babana.
u should have allowed people that have brains to comment before u insult people.
Re: Why Do The Roman Catholic Add More Books To The Bible? by Ukutsgp(m): 3:52pm On Nov 07, 2014
italo:

it was 66 books that were canonised. the other books added were not accepted as inspired.
Re: Why Do The Roman Catholic Add More Books To The Bible? by italo: 5:23pm On Nov 07, 2014
Who canonised the 66, and when?
Ukutsgp:
it was 66 books that were canonised. the other books added were not accepted as inspired.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do The Roman Catholic Add More Books To The Bible? by AgreatMan: 8:04pm On Nov 07, 2014
Ukutsgp:
u should have allowed people that have brains to comment before u insult people.

I could have lectured u on d topic but d way u presentated it clearly shows u r an attention seeker, hoping d topic will generate enough arguments n counter arguments. Of course, u know what traffic does to a thread. A topic like this is to enlighten folks n not to create religious division n I will not aid d course of a bigot.

Good news 4 u tho, the other people who have brains will explain it to u.

1 Like

Re: Why Do The Roman Catholic Add More Books To The Bible? by AgreatMan: 8:04pm On Nov 07, 2014
Ukutsgp:
Re: Why Do The Roman Catholic Add More Books To The Bible? by vest(m): 8:05pm On Nov 07, 2014
italo:

italo:
hmm!when i c debate like dis i alway rememba a niaralander with username start with E and ends with a.
Re: Why Do The Roman Catholic Add More Books To The Bible? by Ukutsgp(m): 8:18pm On Nov 07, 2014
AgreatMan:

I could have lectured u on d topic but d way u presentated it clearly shows u r an attention seeker, hoping d topic will generate enough arguments n counter arguments. Of course, u know what traffic does to a thread. A topic like this is to enlighten folks n not to create religious division n I will not aid d course of a bigot.

Good news 4 u tho, the other people who have brains will explain it to u.
i dnt know why u are so pained like this? u came and start insulting people without contributing any meaniful thing and yet u keep on ranting that i'm looking for fame. ok lecture me Mr lecturer. how do u know i want to create religious division by asking simple question? u dnt even know anything about this and u keep bragging. pls just go and take ur drug cos it seems u are nt well at all.

1 Like

Re: Why Do The Roman Catholic Add More Books To The Bible? by Ukutsgp(m): 8:21pm On Nov 07, 2014
italo:
have u even address my questions in the first post?
Re: Why Do The Roman Catholic Add More Books To The Bible? by Ukutsgp(m): 8:22pm On Nov 07, 2014
vest:
hmm!when i c debate like dis i alway rememba a niaralander with username start with E and ends with a.
that was enigma
Re: Why Do The Roman Catholic Add More Books To The Bible? by Ukutsgp(m): 9:02pm On Nov 07, 2014
@italo

How do we know that the 66 books in
our Bible are the only inspired books?
Who decided which books were truly
inspired by God? The Roman Catholic
Bible includes books that are not found
in other Bibles (called the Apocrypha).
How do we know that we as christians
have the right books? These questions
are addressed by a study of canonicity.

“Canon” is a word that comes from
Greek and Hebrew words that literally
means a measuring rod. So canonicity
describes the standard that books had to
meet to be recognized as scripture.
On the one hand, deciding which books
were inspired seems like a human
process. Christians gathered together at
church councils in the first several
centuries A.D. for the purpose of
officially recognizing which books are
inspired. But it’s important to
remember that these councils did not
determine which books were inspired.
They simply recognized what God had
already determined.

it is important to point out the tests of
canonicity that were used, the history of
canonization and a brief explanation of
why certain disputed books are not
scripture.

II. Summary: The collection of
66 books were properly
recognized by the early
church as the complete
authoritative scriptures not
to be added to or subtracted
from.

III. Tests of Canonicity
The early church councils applied
several basic standards in recognizing
whether a book was inspired.

A. Is it authoritative (“Thus saith the
Lord”)?

B. Is it prophetic (“a man of God”
2 Peter 1:20 )?
- A book in the Bible must have the
authority of a spiritual leader of Israel
(O.T. – prophet, king, judge, scribe) or
and apostle of the church (N.T. – It must
be based on the testimony of an original
apostle.).

C. Is it authentic (consistent with other
revelation of truth)?

D. Is it dynamic – demonstrating God’s
life-changing power (Hebrew 4:12)?

E. Is it received (accepted and used by
believers – 1 Thessalonians 2:13 )?
(Norman L. Geisler & William Nix, A
General Introduction To The Bible. pp.
137-144).

IV. The History of
Canonization

A. Old Testament Canon – Recognizing
the correct Old Testament book

1. Christ refers to Old Testament
books as “scripture” (Matthew 21:42 ,
etc.).

2. The Council of Jamnia (A.D. 90)
officially recognized our 39 Old
Testament books.

3. Josephus, the Jewish historian
(A.D. 95), indicated that the 39 books
were recognized as authoritative.

B. New Testament Canon –
Recognizing the correct New
Testament books

1. The apostles claimed authority for
their writings (Colossians 3:16 ;
1 Thessalonians 5:27 ;
2 Thessalonians 3:14 ).

2. The apostle’s writings were
equated with Old Testament
scriptures (2 Peter 3:1, 2, 15, 16 ).

3. The Council of Athenasius (A.D.
367) and the Council of Carthage
(A.D. 397) recognized the 27 books in
our New Testament today as
inspired.

V. The Disputed but non-canonical
books

A. The Apocrypha is not scripture.

The Apocryphal books are 15 books
written in the 400 years between
Malachi and Matthew. They record
some of the history of that time period
and various other religious stories and
teaching. The Catholic Bible (Douay
Version) regards these books as
scripture. The Apocrypha includes some
specific Catholic doctrines, such as
purgatory and prayer for the dead (2
Maccabees 12:39-46), and salvation by
works (almsgiving – Tobit 12:9).

Interestingly, the Catholic Church
officially recognized these books as
scripture in A.D. 1546, only 29 years
after Martin Luther criticized these
doctrines as unbiblical.

Below are listed several additional
reasons for rejecting the Apocrypha as
inspired:

1. The Jews never accepted the
Apocrypha as scripture.

2. The Apocrypha never claims to be
inspired (“Thus saith the Lord” etc.) –
In fact, 1 Maccabees 9:27 denies it.

3. The Apocrypha is never quoted as
authoritative in scriptures. (Although
Hebrews 11:35-38 alludes to
historical events recorded in 2
Maccabees 6:18-7:42).

4. Matthew 23:35 – Jesus implied that
the close of Old Testament historical
scripture was the death of Zechariah
(400 B.C.). This excludes any books
written after Malachi and before the
New Testament.

1 Like

Re: Why Do The Roman Catholic Add More Books To The Bible? by Ukutsgp(m): 9:09pm On Nov 07, 2014
the question is, is the additional books added by the Roman catholic accepted as scriptures? are they inspired by God? that is the question here?
Re: Why Do The Roman Catholic Add More Books To The Bible? by twosquare(m): 10:13pm On Nov 07, 2014
Ukutsgp:
the question is, is the additional books added by the Roman catholic accepted as scriptures? are they inspired by God? that is the question here?
read it first, if you have the Spirit of Christ in you, you will know whether it is or not.
Re: Why Do The Roman Catholic Add More Books To The Bible? by Ukutsgp(m): 10:21pm On Nov 07, 2014
twosquare:
read it first, if you have the Spirit of Christ in you, you will know whether it is or not.
i read few of the books and it does nt sound inspired. many errors and false teachings were contained in it. they were not of God.
Re: Why Do The Roman Catholic Add More Books To The Bible? by twosquare(m): 10:25pm On Nov 07, 2014
Ukutsgp:
i read few of the books and it does nt sound inspired. many errors and false teachings were contained in it. they were not of God.
mention the few and let me see what u're saying
Re: Why Do The Roman Catholic Add More Books To The Bible? by Nobody: 11:41pm On Nov 07, 2014
All the books you made mention of are found in the old testament. The hebrew literature or old testament have been in existence even before the time of jesus and there existed two types; one written in hebrew and the one written in greek for the jews in diaspora who spoke greek.
The extra books you made mention of were originally found written in greek and were first rejected by the jews as not inspired major reason been greek was considered a pagan foreign language and also when luther broke away, he adopted the old testament approved by the jews.
The catholics church believe that those extra books are also inspired word of God major reason being that Jesus christ himself made some quotations from that literature and also some quotations made by st paul also suggest that he may have drawn them from that same literature.
Re: Why Do The Roman Catholic Add More Books To The Bible? by Kay17: 12:22am On Nov 08, 2014
Ukutsgp:
@italo

How do we know that the 66 books in
our Bible are the only inspired books?
Who decided which books were truly
inspired by God? The Roman Catholic
Bible includes books that are not found
in other Bibles (called the Apocrypha).
How do we know that we as christians
have the right books? These questions
are addressed by a study of canonicity.

“Canon” is a word that comes from
Greek and Hebrew words that literally
means a measuring rod. So canonicity
describes the standard that books had to
meet to be recognized as scripture.
On the one hand, deciding which books
were inspired seems like a human
process. Christians gathered together at
church councils in the first several
centuries A.D. for the purpose of
officially recognizing which books are
inspired. But it’s important to
remember that these councils did not
determine which books were inspired.
They simply recognized what God had
already determined.

it is important to point out the tests of
canonicity that were used, the history of
canonization and a brief explanation of
why certain disputed books are not
scripture.

II. Summary: The collection of
66 books were properly
recognized by the early
church as the complete
authoritative scriptures not
to be added to or subtracted
from.

III. Tests of Canonicity
The early church councils applied
several basic standards in recognizing
whether a book was inspired.

A. Is it authoritative (“Thus saith the
Lord”)?

B. Is it prophetic (“a man of God”
2 Peter 1:20 )?
- A book in the Bible must have the
authority of a spiritual leader of Israel
(O.T. – prophet, king, judge, scribe) or
and apostle of the church (N.T. – It must
be based on the testimony of an original
apostle.).

C. Is it authentic (consistent with other
revelation of truth)?

D. Is it dynamic – demonstrating God’s
life-changing power (Hebrew 4:12)?

E. Is it received (accepted and used by
believers – 1 Thessalonians 2:13 )?
(Norman L. Geisler & William Nix, A
General Introduction To The Bible. pp.
137-144).

IV. The History of
Canonization

A. Old Testament Canon – Recognizing
the correct Old Testament book

1. Christ refers to Old Testament
books as “scripture” (Matthew 21:42 ,
etc.).

2. The Council of Jamnia (A.D. 90)
officially recognized our 39 Old
Testament books.

3. Josephus, the Jewish historian
(A.D. 95), indicated that the 39 books
were recognized as authoritative.

B. New Testament Canon –
Recognizing the correct New
Testament books

1. The apostles claimed authority for
their writings (Colossians 3:16 ;
1 Thessalonians 5:27 ;
2 Thessalonians 3:14 ).

2. The apostle’s writings were
equated with Old Testament
scriptures (2 Peter 3:1, 2, 15, 16 ).

3. The Council of Athenasius (A.D.
367) and the Council of Carthage
(A.D. 397) recognized the 27 books in
our New Testament today as
inspired.

V. The Disputed but non-canonical
books

A. The Apocrypha is not scripture.

The Apocryphal books are 15 books
written in the 400 years between
Malachi and Matthew. They record
some of the history of that time period
and various other religious stories and
teaching. The Catholic Bible (Douay
Version) regards these books as
scripture. The Apocrypha includes some
specific Catholic doctrines, such as
purgatory and prayer for the dead (2
Maccabees 12:39-46), and salvation by
works (almsgiving – Tobit 12:9).

Interestingly, the Catholic Church
officially recognized these books as
scripture in A.D. 1546, only 29 years
after Martin Luther criticized these
doctrines as unbiblical.

Below are listed several additional
reasons for rejecting the Apocrypha as
inspired:

1. The Jews never accepted the
Apocrypha as scripture.

2. The Apocrypha never claims to be
inspired (“Thus saith the Lord” etc.) –
In fact, 1 Maccabees 9:27 denies it.

3. The Apocrypha is never quoted as
authoritative in scriptures. (Although
Hebrews 11:35-38 alludes to
historical events recorded in 2
Maccabees 6:18-7:42).

4. Matthew 23:35 – Jesus implied that
the close of Old Testament historical
scripture was the death of Zechariah
(400 B.C.). This excludes any books
written after Malachi and before the
New Testament.

Uhmmmm

The early Church was responsible for creating the test of authenticity and inspiration for the Bible which ought to predate them.

Beautiful!

For a twist of irony, was it biblical for the early Church to compile the Bible? wink
Re: Why Do The Roman Catholic Add More Books To The Bible? by Ukutsgp(m): 11:08am On Nov 08, 2014
nigizjay:
All the books you made mention of are found in the old testament. The hebrew literature or old testament have been in existence even before the time of jesus and there existed two types; one written in hebrew and the one written in greek for the jews in diaspora who spoke greek.
The extra books you made mention of were originally found written in greek and were first rejected by the jews as not inspired major reason been greek was considered a pagan foreign language and also when luther broke away, he adopted the old testament approved by the jews.
The catholics church believe that those extra books are also inspired word of God major reason being that Jesus christ himself made some quotations from that literature and also some quotations made by st paul also suggest that he may have drawn them from that same literature.
is that the only reason the jews rejected those books?
Re: Why Do The Roman Catholic Add More Books To The Bible? by Ukutsgp(m): 11:29am On Nov 08, 2014
The Apocrypha is a collection
of uninspired, spurious books
written by various individuals.
The Catholic religion considers
these books as scripture just
like a Bible-believer believes
that the 66 books in the
Authorized Version of 1611 of
the Bible are the word of God,
i.e., Genesis to Revelation

At the Council of Trent (1546)
the Roman Catholic institution
pronounced the following
apocryphal books sacred. They
asserted that the apocryphal
books together with unwritten
tradition are of God and are to
be received and venerated as
the Word of God. So now you
have the Bible, the Apocrypha
and Catholic Tradition as co-
equal sources of truth for the
Catholic. In reality, it seems
obvious that the Bible is the
last source of truth for
Catholics. Roman Catholic
doctrine comes primarily from
tradition stuck together with a
few Bible names. In my
reading of Catholic materials, I
find notes like this: "You have
to keep the Bible in
perspective." Catholics have
been deceived into not
believing that the Bible is
God's complete revelation for
man [but they can come out of
these deceptions in an instant
if they will only believe the
Bible as it is written].

The Roman Catholic
Apocrypha

Tobit
Judith
Wisdom
Ecclesiasticus
Baruch
First and Second
Maccabees
Additions to Esther and
Daniel
Re: Why Do The Roman Catholic Add More Books To The Bible? by EvilBrain1(m): 12:14pm On Nov 08, 2014
@OP

First of all, get this idea of god giving us the bible out of your head. That's not what happened at all.

The old testament is a collection of traditional Hebrew writings. The version of the Hebrew "bible" used by most Jews is called the Masoretic text, and it doesn't contain the apocryphal books. However there are other versions of the Hebrew text which contain these books and for centuries, they were commonly read alongside the other old testament books by many Christians.

But during the protestant reformation, Martin Luther and others decided that these books were not on the same level as the rest of the OT and moved them to a separate section called the apocrypha. Later the Vatican responded at the Council of Trent by declaring them to the scriptural and formally giving them the same status as the other books.

The development of the new testament canon was even more complicated. The books included were chosen by priests during a series of meetings using very arbitrary standards. The books which aligned with what those men already believed were included, and those that didn't were either edited or discarded. Different groups of Christians had different collections of books they considered scriptural and there are dozens of gospels and epistles that have been excluded from the bible (and many confirmed forgeries that we now consider scripture). The reason we now have this particular canon and not another is because long ago, the Christians who used it managed to take over the government of Rome, declare it as the definitive canon; then exile, torture and kill those who disagreed with them.

1 Like

Re: Why Do The Roman Catholic Add More Books To The Bible? by Nobody: 12:21pm On Nov 08, 2014
So the Catholic church in 393ce removed books from the protestant canon that was formed in the 17th and 18th century?

Seriously dude are you for real? between the Catholic and the protestant bible which came first? and who should be accused of adding or removing books from the bible?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Debate Topics In A Christian Teenagers Gathering / Tonye-t, How Did Jesus Restore What Was Lost By Adam ? / Speaking In Tongue; A Great Lie By Olakunle Allison

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.