Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,962 members, 7,817,825 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:32 PM

The Journey Of A Web Developer - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / The Journey Of A Web Developer (6645 Views)

How To Be A Successful Web-developer / What's Your Story Far In The Journey Of Web Development ? / Cost of Designing & Hosting a Web Portal (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Journey Of A Web Developer by romme2u: 2:09am On Nov 08, 2014
THE JOURNEY OF A WEB DEVELOPER

IN 2008 i learn web design hoping it was like graphics design where you've got tools like corel draw, Photoshop and illustrator to perform your magic. In a bid to understand and master these imaginary tools of mine, i got to discover that the web was different. From FrontPage, Dreamweaver, Fireworks and Swishmax in 2008; i progress through the ranks and find myself coding websites in 2012(something i hated from the very beginning). Not that i didn't know about coding but i thought i could find a way to be an average designer without coding. After groping through a lot of web technologies both backend and frontend, i came to love coding my sites(because of the level of control it gives) than using code generators n wysiwyg(what you see is what you get) editors. Coding sites is very tedious and a pain in the ass, not to mention the time spent on this strenous exercise(that is if you are working on a project and not learning/practising a language). With pressure from clients and bosses to deliver within a short period of time plus the low amount budgeted for web projects, coding became unsuitable(or you can say unbearable) and punishing for even the smallest of projects, and i turned to CMS and FRAMEWORKS. It was as if i just started to learn web development again and it is very frustrating, having to learn new tools, API's and new ways of doing things almost on each project(with low pay and short development time).

Not to mention the fact that 70% - 90% of website owners in naija dont know nor care about site operations, management and maintenance. All they do is setup the site, forget about it and after one year or the number of years hosting was paid for, .....and that is it. The worrisome part is that they dont know how to MONITIZE their site and more annoying, they dont want to learn with the smallest fee or even free of charge.

After six years of dirtying my hands in the web world(though it was actually an extra-curricular activity due to my full time university studies), i discover the power of the frontend tripatite, protocols/standards and the place of backend technologies in web(mobile web) app development. With knowledge of dreamweaver, fireworks, photoshop(little), illustrator(little), swishmax(ranaway from animation because of the complexity. Don't just add salt to injury, moreover javascript/css animation together with animated gif solve my simple animation problems), html, xml, css(can't stop loving to code/design with this though frameworks appeal, but i still love it raw), javascript/jquery(still hoping to mess with mooTools, YUI, Angularjs n Backbone.js), ajax and other web API's, http and ftp rules with codes, traffic generation and basic SEO, web services and rss feeds, basic server administration and configuration, few backend programming languages, few Database technologies and inching towards shell scripting, i am still marching on, not relenting until i become a true WEBMASTER.

As i am zooming to certification in web development with few websites under my portfolio including a custom mini-CMS, it seems as if i have just started and there are more things to learn than what i have already known. It is a never ending cycle as i prepare to present myself to the world and face great challenges ahead.

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Journey Of A Web Developer by Nobody: 5:49am On Nov 08, 2014
romme2u:

IN 2008 i learn web design hoping it was like graphics design where you've got tools like corel draw, Photoshop and illustrator to perform your magic. In a bid to understand and master these imaginary tools of mine, i got to discover that the web was different. From FrontPage, Dreamweaver, Fireworks and Swishmax in 2008; i progress through the ranks and find myself coding websites in 2012(something i hated from the very beginning). Not that i didn't know about coding but i thought i could find a way to be an average designer without coding. After groping through a lot of web technologies both backend and frontend, i came to love coding my sites(because of the level of control it gives) than using code generators n wysiwyg(what you see is what you get) editors. Coding sites is very tedious and a pain in the ass, not to mention the time spent on this strenous exercise(that is if you are working on a project and not learning/practising a language). With pressure from clients and bosses to deliver within a short period of time plus the low amount budgeted for web projects, coding became unsuitable(or you can say unbearable) and punishing for even the smallest of projects, and i turned to CMS and FRAMEWORKS. It was as if i just started to learn web development again and it is very frustrating, having to learn new tools, API's and new ways of doing things almost on each project(with low pay and short development time).

Not to mention the fact that 70% - 90% of website owners in naija dont know nor care about site operations, management and maintenance. All they do is setup the site, forget about it and after one year or the number of years hosting was paid for, .....and that is it. The worrisome part is that they dont know how to MONITIZE their site and more annoying, they dont want to learn with the smallest fee or even free of charge.

After six years of dirtying my hands in the web world(though it was actually an extra-curricular activity due to my full time university studies), i discover the power of the frontend tripatite, protocols/standards and the place of backend technologies in web(mobile web) app development. With knowledge of dreamweaver, fireworks, photoshop(little), illustrator(little), swishmax(ranaway from animation because of the complexity. Don't just add salt to injury, moreover javascript/css animation together with animated gif solve my simple animation problems), html, xml, css(can't stop loving to code/design with this though frameworks appeal, but i still love it raw), javascript/jquery(still hoping to mess with mooTools, YUI, Angularjs n Backbone.js), ajax and other web API's, http and ftp rules with codes, traffic generation and basic SEO, web services and rss feeds, basic server administration and configuration, few backend programming languages, few Database technologies and inching towards shell scripting, i am still marching on, not relenting until i become a true WEBMASTER.

As i am zooming to certification in web development with few websites under my portfolio including a custom mini-CMS, it seems as if i have just started and there are more things to learn than what i have already known. It is a never ending cycle as i prepare to present myself to the world and face great challenges ahead.
nice write up
Re: The Journey Of A Web Developer by Moderrator: 8:25am On Nov 08, 2014
Your story is similar to many other stories I know .
Happy coding.
The irony is that Bloggers are making it after every 4 years smiley
Re: The Journey Of A Web Developer by romme2u: 11:34am On Nov 08, 2014
@moderator embarassed undecided
Like i said it was part time effort during my university days which lasted like six years plus all the strikes and riots. moreover i decided not to be a blogger but a developer which means i spent sometime learning programming and development tools like cms and framework coding. i was not just out to make money, but to be a top developer and also make web design my hobby.

i know that anybody who dedicates two years to learn full time, with good guidance will reach where i am. so it depends on ur vision, strategies and resources available to you.

1 Like

Re: The Journey Of A Web Developer by menesheh(m): 9:19am On Jul 04, 2015
Awesome
Re: The Journey Of A Web Developer by abumeinben(m): 9:20am On Jul 04, 2015
$_hate = {"I hate coding"};

echo "$_hate"

[size=50pt]I HATE CODING[/size]

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Journey Of A Web Developer by kriztovar(m): 9:20am On Jul 04, 2015
Thumbs
Re: The Journey Of A Web Developer by Seunvense(m): 9:21am On Jul 04, 2015
What is the different between web designing and web developing?
Re: The Journey Of A Web Developer by nollyway(m): 9:24am On Jul 04, 2015
embarassed embarassed
Re: The Journey Of A Web Developer by Cyriloha(m): 9:26am On Jul 04, 2015
romme2u:

please friends I'm really in need of domain hosting that supports PHP HERE IN NIGERIA A RELIABLE ONE PLEASE. .... 09099575158
Re: The Journey Of A Web Developer by samintegrity(m): 9:26am On Jul 04, 2015
Welcome to web developers realities in Nigeria!!

1 Like

Re: The Journey Of A Web Developer by Bugatie(m): 9:26am On Jul 04, 2015
Wowww welldone!

Lemme pretend I understand all the Op is saying.
Re: The Journey Of A Web Developer by Cyriloha(m): 9:28am On Jul 04, 2015
bluetooth902:

SEND UNLIMITED EMAIL DAILY WITH XM SOFTWARE ..

BUY FRESH EMAIL LEADS

BUY GUARANTEED INBOX SMTP

GET AN AFFORDABLE DATABASE DRIVEN WEBSITE

CONTACT JOHNSON ON 08146604624 ...

Bro please I'm really in need of domain that supports PHP here in Nigeria I want to host mine please can you help me
Re: The Journey Of A Web Developer by Aleeyouchalawa(m): 9:29am On Jul 04, 2015
Hoping to be/web master, software engineer 1day grin
Re: The Journey Of A Web Developer by Edwardhead(m): 9:29am On Jul 04, 2015
Come teach me
Re: The Journey Of A Web Developer by lekinz(m): 9:30am On Jul 04, 2015
shocked shocked .. So one needs going through all this in becoming a guru

Buh what if one uses Wordpress in designing a website, it saves time and efforts.

Buying of theme and editing lobatan ... Abi
Re: The Journey Of A Web Developer by lafex: 9:33am On Jul 04, 2015
J
Re: The Journey Of A Web Developer by Nobody: 9:34am On Jul 04, 2015
romme2u:

interesting.... In d area of monetization, nairaland was guilty
Re: The Journey Of A Web Developer by Nobody: 9:34am On Jul 04, 2015
I completely agree with what you said about maintenance. Even in software design, continuous maintenance and updating is one of the most important things.

For my last coursework project, I used java script event-handling and PHP headers to make it seem like the page was loaded automatically (for example, if the user clicked a button to remove something from their shopping cart, the page would quickly refresh to show the change) because I didn't know about Ajax at the time, but I've been reading about it and I can't wait to start using it! Thankfully, I can host my projects on my university server.

I can't help but admire your zeal to learn, especially since you mentioned it was just an extra-curricular thing.

1 Like

Re: The Journey Of A Web Developer by ipreach: 9:36am On Jul 04, 2015
thank you for sharing
Re: The Journey Of A Web Developer by Nobody: 9:37am On Jul 04, 2015
That's good. You have a lot of new techniques in hand.
Re: The Journey Of A Web Developer by moderatorr1: 9:41am On Jul 04, 2015
Funny life. Can't believe I said bloggers make it after ever 4 years . its now after every 2 years smiley
Learning new web technologies is a pain in the as5, the worst is that new ones are coming out each day in geometrical numbers. Nigerian clients can't pay you enough to validate the effort.
imaging someone paying you 100k for an app you will build for 2 months. That 100k is a one time payment ooo. Its not recurring, which means, your efforts on the app doesn't get to pay again later.
Every new website is a different one, requiring whole new efforts.
At a point we just decided to say Bleep it and build our own intuitive blogging platform for everyone who doesn't feel blogger and WordPress cleanly cut their needs [url]Braintem.org[/url]

1 Like

Re: The Journey Of A Web Developer by mcmbonu: 9:45am On Jul 04, 2015
Re: The Journey Of A Web Developer by LiveReporters: 10:02am On Jul 04, 2015
Now you can post News , share your post , post your rightup , chat online with friends On Our New Forum. just visit www.livereporters.net
Re: The Journey Of A Web Developer by centuryman(m): 10:22am On Jul 04, 2015
Pls OP, could I learn from you? Here's my whatsapp no: 08060021290... I'm ready to pay.
Re: The Journey Of A Web Developer by Drizzle007(m): 10:46am On Jul 04, 2015
I sincerely what a mentor in this... Just started learning Web design. Pls holla on whatsapp. 0807 643 5502
Re: The Journey Of A Web Developer by Luukasz(m): 10:58am On Jul 04, 2015
romme2u:

Re: The Journey Of A Web Developer by Luukasz(m): 11:00am On Jul 04, 2015
romme2u:

We are on the same team #AfricansMustDominateTheInternetWorld #IamTheNextBillGate/MarkZuckerberg
Re: The Journey Of A Web Developer by kelechiodo(m): 11:04am On Jul 04, 2015
Thanks op, your story is not much different from mine. I will share the journey one day
Re: The Journey Of A Web Developer by Luukasz(m): 11:05am On Jul 04, 2015
Moderrator:
Your story is similar to many other stories I know .
Happy coding.
The irony is that Bloggers are making it after every 4 years smiley
Bloggers are making it big only in Nigeria,which Blogger have you heard of that is as popular as Bill gate or Mark Zuckerberg or D two Goggle guys in America.
Bloggers are making it in Nigeria because Web designers in Nigeria lack Vision,Passion & Dey ar also not Determined 2 be Successful in it Unlike the Bloggers who av it all.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nairabet Launcheds New Responsive Platform Website: Review / LiveScores - Football Pools Results and Fixtures / Easy & Simple Steps To Monetize Your Blog And Make Money Guaranteed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 105
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.