Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,276 members, 7,811,809 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 08:10 PM

How To Be A Successful Web-developer - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / How To Be A Successful Web-developer (18378 Views)

12 Tips For Becoming A Successful Web Designer - Kinginvahala / 10 Top Secrets To Become A Successful Blogger / Tips For Creating A Successful Blog/Site (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Be A Successful Web-developer by Nobody: 11:10am On Apr 02, 2015
Hello reader, am Apele, a civil engineer by profession and web-developer for extra charge.
Am not starting this thread to paste adds or show people that i am successful in web design. I am using it as a medium to reach struggling web-developers like me, so we can help ourselves.

LESSON ONE : HOW TO GET WEB DESIGN JOBS
Its good to post your contacts on nairaland for people to call you. But my guy you might be wasting your time. Based on my experience after pasting my adds on several threads and creating topics over and over again. The only people that call me are fellow web-designers, who just want to fool me and find the cms am using, children that just want to call to say hi, people that promise and promise and never get back to you.

Infact even threads that say "we need a web-designer" are fake. Someone is laughing at the other side watching us drop our contacts. Dont waste your time bros.

You cant find good jobs on the internet, you have to use the old school method. That one helps me better.

It starts with writing a web-proposal of not more than 6 pages.
It should contain
What website is
Importance and why a client should have it
About your company
Works you have done or demos if you are new.
Bill
And contact

If you cant write your proposal, then you not ready. Make the cover as attractive as possible and make several prints of it.

On the deal day, look good and confident, smell nices, etc.

Places to go to
Schools, churches, companies, hotels, etc.

Walk in and ask for their manager and drop your proposal with him.
Your bravery will pay.

Please if you find this thread useful, kindly comment to make me carry on. There are several things i want to show you.

27 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How To Be A Successful Web-developer by Nobody: 11:51pm On Apr 02, 2015
Am happy for this informative post. Thanks brother.
Am also a web designer in training. Please drop more tips brother.

1 Like

Re: How To Be A Successful Web-developer by romme2u: 12:37am On Apr 03, 2015
Be good at what u do and show off u little works AND you wont look for jobs. moreover take small jobs with tiny pay or no pay at all to improve ur skills and build urself a profile.

5 Likes

Re: How To Be A Successful Web-developer by Nobody: 11:18am On Apr 03, 2015
Thanks guys

LESSON TWO: FINDING THE RIGHT HOST
When it comes to small projects i use whogohost or syskay.com. Hostgator and Godaddy for big projects.

Its advisable to create a separate account for your clients. So if they wish to discontinue your services, you can hand over to them their login details to cpanel and others. If the webhost supports an affiliate program, use it on their account. And get discount for other jobs.

Whogohost and syskay.com are both nigeria webhost providers and are both good. But syskay now has a problem with sending mails.
All mails sent from the website you hosting with them goes to spam box. I dont know why?
This cost me my reputation at a time. An ecommerce site i created had all its payment, cart, check out messages going to the mail spam. This would ruin the reputation of your site. So lets put it aside for now. (Tested one 3 others websites same problem)

I havent had any problem with whogohost yet. And they have 24 hours customer care service, cheaper, good speed, affiliate program and help you with webpay integration.

IF YOU KNOW ANY OTHER GOOD NIGERIA WEB HOST BLA BLA LET US KNOW

If you doing a big project go for foreign hosts like hostgator or godaddy. They are more expensive (dollar ish u know) but reliable. They can handle websites with lost of traffic.

Now a lil secret, to get cheaper charge on hostgator use this coupon SOCIAL.

Next lesson FINDING THE RIGHT CMS
please comment to encourage more post.

3 Likes

Re: How To Be A Successful Web-developer by nnamdiosu(m): 1:27pm On Apr 03, 2015
oapeleo:
Thanks guys

When it comes to small projects i use whogohost or syskay.com. Hostgator and Godaddy for big projects.

Its advisable to create a separate account for your clients. So if they wish to discontinue your services, you can hand over to them their login details to cpanel and others. If the webhost supports an affiliate program, use it on their account. And get discount for other jobs.

Whogohost and syskay.com are both nigeria webhost providers and are both good. But syskay now has a problem with sending mails.
All mails sent from the website you hosting with them goes to spam box. I dont know why?
This cost me my reputation at a time. An ecommerce site i created had all its payment, cart, check out messages going to the mail spam. This would ruin the reputation of your site. So lets put it aside for now. (Tested one 3 others websites same problem)

I havent had any problem with whogohost yet. And they have 24 hours customer care service, cheaper, good speed, affiliate program and help you with webpay integration.

If you doing a big project go for foreign hosts like hostgator or godaddy. They are more expensive (dollar ish u know) but reliable. They can handle websites with lost of traffic.

thanks bro. we following loud and clear. Dont stop
Re: How To Be A Successful Web-developer by Vicben(m): 1:37pm On Apr 03, 2015
Awesome and inspiring lessons in this class. Pen in my right hand, paper on the table and a cup of coffee in my left hand. Let the lessons continue

1 Like

Re: How To Be A Successful Web-developer by kennysympathy(m): 3:21pm On Apr 03, 2015
Nice tread, pls am a beginner in web development. I would like to know the essential facts a web designer should look out for? Thank you.
Re: How To Be A Successful Web-developer by Nobody: 5:36pm On Apr 03, 2015
Thanks guys

LESSON THREE: FINDING THE RIGHT CMS
Most web-developers claim to do their website the hardcore way. Lie. We all use cms and you know it.
content management system (CMS) is a computer application that allows publishing, editing and modifying content, organizing, deleting as well as maintenance from a central interface.
E.g, wordpress, drupal, joomla,SilverStripe,Cushy,frog, modx,etc etc.
Anybody can be a web-developer over night.

There are lots of cms out there, you will get confused for sure if u search.
You must have an idea of what you want to create before you choose.

For me wordpress can create anything at all as far as web is concerned.
Has millions of themes, plugins, etc. Easy to understand. Fast and you can do many wesites following thesame partner at the same time.

But easily hacked and isnt recommended for ecommerce websites or sites that involve payment.
I recommened opencart and others.

For social communities, use elgg, etc.
For forums, use phpbb

I know lots of cms out there for different purposes. Wont bore you with the full list. You can whatsapp me for one on one 08153973028 , or call 08068280130

Please dont start googling to find them. You can get any cms, themes in the world from www.nulledphp.com (your friends wont even tell you this). And when you contact me, i will just give you link to the exact one to download from there. Infact all other sites that sell or share them, get it from here. They update every day. Yeah!

To get the exact theme you want just search
E.g. business theme and the endless list shows.

USE WISELY.

Next lesson, how to use wordpress professionally, safe and nobody will know.

9 Likes

Re: How To Be A Successful Web-developer by Nobody: 5:41pm On Apr 03, 2015
Additionally, if you opening nulledphp with a phone. Select system view. Nothing make sense on mobile view. Please nu b me get the site, not advertising for them, just recommending.

2 Likes

Re: How To Be A Successful Web-developer by Vicben(m): 12:18am On Apr 04, 2015
We are here
Re: How To Be A Successful Web-developer by romme2u: 12:56am On Apr 04, 2015
oapeleo:
Thanks guys

There is no right host or cms wink. choosing a WEB HOST and CMS depends entirely on the job at hand. so jobs may be complex that u need to use language frameworks to deliver it. proper planning, research, features specification and information/system architecture will guide u in choosing ur implementation TOOLS and production environment undecided.

2 Likes

Re: How To Be A Successful Web-developer by Nobody: 10:30am On Apr 04, 2015
LESSON FOUR (A): HOW TO USE WORDPRESS PROFESSIONALLY

I will start with a business website
Things you need to know
Wordpress installation and use
Your client does not know what he wants
Your client doesnt trust you can do what he thinks you think he wants
Clients that pay less disturb more

Requirements
A good theme with a responsive slider
A photo editing software
A good company logo
Lots of high res images
Enough information about the company and contacts

Plugins you need
Site under construction
Wordpress seo my yoast
Custom login
Hide my wp
Subscribe2
Facebook comment
Facebook auto-poster
Hit counter
Team slider
Logo slider
Easy Facebook page widget
Twitter pOST widget
Gravity form

Start with activating your theme. Then install site under construction plugin. So your clients wont be able to spy the work and instruct you to make irrelevant changes. This is so frustrating.
Hit him with surprise when you done.

Study your theme. View reviews about it on youtube or the owners blog. Be sure it has what you want before you continue. Then upload the demo content. This will help guide you.

Change your permalinks and start building

LOGO
After going through some websites here, i discovered the problem they have in common is logo. Even after building a good logo, they dont know how to place them

All logos must be in png and have transparent background
They should be as simple as possible. It mustnt have students if its a school site, it mustnt have pot if its for a restaurant, it mustnt have this or that. It should be more of text. Take a look at facebook, google and others.
The logo colours should be the site colours. Open some websites, its like the logo and website are seperate, they dont match.
To solve this problem use a png format, right colours and most importantly reduce the opacity of the logo to about 80% so it merges with the site background.

SLIDER IMAGES
Rectangular sliders are cool
Compress your images to less than 300kb, so it doesnt affect the loading time.
Make sure your sliders carry text
It should be animated, different effects

PAGES
make important pages based on company's information
Create menu that leads to them

ÇOMPANY BLOG
Set a page to display the company's updates
And display some on home page.

Continues shortly

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Be A Successful Web-developer by PROFLOVY(m): 2:14pm On Apr 04, 2015
Following keenly.
Thanks Op.

1 Like

Re: How To Be A Successful Web-developer by Nobody: 5:43pm On Apr 04, 2015
LESSON FOUR (B): UNDERSTANDING THE PLUGINS

Wordpress seo my yoast
ONE Problem with wordpress. when you share a page to facebook, it picks the wrong image as thumbnail and wrong text. With this plugin you can determine what to display when shared.
It incorporates everything from a snippet preview and page analysis functionality that helps you optimize your pages content, images titles, meta descriptions and more to XML sitemaps, and loads of optimization options in between.
DOWNLOAD: https://downloads.wordpress.org/plugin/wordpress-seo.2.0.1.zip

Custom login
Admin Custom Login plugin allows you to change your unlimited custom logo, Background Sideshow, Social Link Connectivity etc. with its lots of feature
DOWNLOAD: https://downloads.wordpress.org/plugin/admin-custom-login.1.0.zip

Subcribe2
Subscribe2 provides a comprehensive subscription management and email notification system for WordPress that sends email notifications to a list of subscribers when you publish new content to your blog. Email notifications can be sent on a per-post basis or periodically in a Digest email. Additionally, certain categories can be excluded from inclusion in the notification and posts can be excluded on an individual basis by setting a custom field.
DOWNLOAD: https://downloads.wordpress.org/plugin/subscribe2.10.18.5.zip

facebook comment
converts the post comments to facebook comment instead. This wil encourage comments to your post. people dont want to go through the stress of filling in lots of info before commenting. each comments shows on the person who is comment facebook wall. thats a weird way of inviting his friends to your site
DOWNLOAD: https://downloads.wordpress.org/plugin/facebook-comments-plugin.2.3.1.zip

Social Media Auto Publish
★ Publish message to Facebook with image
★ Attach post or share link to Facebook
★ Publish to Twitter with image
★ Publish to LinkedIn with image
★ Filter items to be published based on categories
★ Filter items to be published based on custom post types
★ Enable or disable wordpress page publishing
★ Customizable message formats for Twitter, LinkedIn and Facebook

DOWNLOAD: https://downloads.wordpress.org/plugin/social-media-auto-publish.1.4.zip
Re: How To Be A Successful Web-developer by danmention: 9:16pm On Apr 04, 2015
But has any of your website been hacked before. Cos using nulled theme ...makes your website. Open to hackers .. As some of the script has some hidden malicious codes ....what do u say about this ....thanks for posting. Nice write up anyways

1 Like

Re: How To Be A Successful Web-developer by kemiola89(f): 10:11pm On Apr 04, 2015
Those tips are really helpful, thanks for sharing.

Let me add this>>> There are many other channels you could possibly use to market your skills without being taken for granted; of course it does involve money cheesy pay Facebook or Google for advert and see how things would turn around.

BTW, I'm just learning how to build a site using the Joomla tutorial for beginners!

4 Likes

Re: How To Be A Successful Web-developer by mubarak23: 9:08am On Apr 05, 2015
Top up bro, this is really helpful

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Be A Successful Web-developer by Nobody: 10:36am On Apr 06, 2015
While we wait for other lessons,

You can drop your website for review. I will tell you where you going wrong, suggest a better theme or plugin, etc.
Re: How To Be A Successful Web-developer by Nobody: 10:41am On Apr 06, 2015
danmention:
But has any of your website been hacked before. Cos using nulled theme ...makes your website. Open to hackers .. As some of the script has some hidden malicious codes ....what do u say about this ....thanks for posting. Nice write up anyways

business is all about taking risk
Re: How To Be A Successful Web-developer by Vicben(m): 12:00am On Apr 11, 2015
We are still waiting for more lessons
Re: How To Be A Successful Web-developer by femzysticks(m): 9:23pm On Apr 11, 2015
Triple likes for this thread

Now I have seen a man of like passion

Ride on boss

1 Like

Re: How To Be A Successful Web-developer by Alfred200825(m): 7:45am On Apr 14, 2015
Finally seen what have bin searching for. Kudos sir

1 Like

Re: How To Be A Successful Web-developer by Nobody: 6:14pm On Apr 14, 2015
Here are answers to some questions i got on whatsapp

Q: i just started, and is it possible for me to make a website with my phone
A: even if you have a very powerful phone, its still gonna be stressful for you. I advice you stick to www.wapka.mobi, with that you can make awesome wapsites. Or make a blog with .com or wordpress,com

Q: www.nulledphp.com reditects till u forget what you looking for
A: you can also try www.wpyak.com

Q: are nulled scripts safe
A: i cant say. But if you got it from a good source, it will be. Wpyak.com themes and all, havent had problems with them. You surely cant afford a premium theme or cms. If you need the work done, i advice you take the risk. Premium themes are far better and come with plugins at times.

Q: How much should i charge per website
It depends mostly on the client and how complex your work is. If you just starting, charge low. If you believe in ur portfolio, charge well. Sometimes telling your client a smaller amount, makes him doubt your job.

Q: am in sokoto, its hard to get jobs here
A: its hard everywhere. Try to find jobs online then. But make sure you have a good portfolio page on your website.

Q: i heard wordpress is easily hacked, how do i protect my site
A: find hide my wp plugin for wordpress. It does the magic.

Q: sir, i run a blog, it autopost my content on facebook but wrong images keep showing instead of the featured image
A : install seo for wordpress by yoast, check above

Q: how can i make my site a forum
A: install bbpress on wordpress

Q: i am planing to create an event site, please a the contact forms on wordpress that print, help me
A: ok, if you looking for a contact form that prints before sending. Showing information filled, check out fsc contact form plugin.

Q:syskay still has that mail problem what do i do?
A:I contacted them and they said its a problem with new domains and after sometime it will start working. Am still waiting

Q: how do i find the demo content that follows the theme
Extract the file.
Search with ".xml" on the search bar of d extracted file
On wordpress
Go to tools, import, install wordpress, search and upload the demo
Complete d process
Finish

Q: sir can you please send me credit
A: NO

Feel free to ask questions on whatsapp (08153973028)
Nobody seem to have asked me to review his site here.

Please tell me what you will like to work on next. We have completed the lesson on business website.
Waitng.........

3 Likes

Re: How To Be A Successful Web-developer by Alfred200825(m): 6:29pm On Apr 14, 2015
Sir am a blogger and i run my blog on blogger, currently and thinking of hosting my offical site for web development. Please review my blog for me www.allspired..com thanks in advance

1 Like

Re: How To Be A Successful Web-developer by Vicben(m): 9:21pm On Apr 14, 2015
Alfred200825:
Sir am a blogger and i run my blog on wordpress, currently and thinking of hosting my offical site for web development. Please review my blog for me www.allspired.com thanks in advance
You have a nice blog but your logo is occupying too much space at the top. you can make your logo smaller and or put it on the same line with your menus. that is my thought.

1 Like

Re: How To Be A Successful Web-developer by Nobody: 9:24pm On Apr 14, 2015
Alfred200825:
Sir am a blogger and i run my blog on wordpress, currently and thinking of hosting my offical site for web development. Please review my blog for me www.allspired.com thanks in advance

This a very neat work

Try changing your logo (thanks vicben)
to something "allspiredish". You could just leave the text or make a slim logo of transparent background.

Try to remove the footer infomation too
+
Copyright © 2015. ALLSPIRED - All Rights Reserved
Template Created by Creating Website Published by Mas Template

Proudly powered by Blogger (thought it was wordpress). But remove it though.

The side bar is perfect, love the effect.
Please for now remove the adds. Its kinda frustrates new readers sometimes.
If its a new blog get enough hits before you monetize.
Re: How To Be A Successful Web-developer by Vicben(m): 9:30pm On Apr 14, 2015
oapeleo:

Q: sir can you please send me credit
A: NO

Q: Sir, can you buy a domain for me?
A: YES

2 Likes

Re: How To Be A Successful Web-developer by uchdollar111: 10:38am On Apr 15, 2015
@OP U'r doing a really good job man, kudos!!!

1 Like

Re: How To Be A Successful Web-developer by Nobody: 8:51pm On Apr 18, 2015
more answers to questions

q: How do i create an email account like admin@website.com?
a: login to cpanel
under mail section, select mail accounts
fill in info and set Mailbox Quota to unlimited
click create account.

q: how do i login to my mail account?
a: www.yourwebsite.com/webmail
username and password thats all

added, you can also receive this message on your gmail, yahoo mail or others.
1. click on Email Account Forwarders
2. add your info, thats all
you will now recieve the messages there too.

q: Which ecommerce platform should i use
a: take a look at www.magento.com for now.

added, i am compiling a tutorial on how to build a shopping site. coming soon.

q: How do i remove the powered by wordpress on the footer
a: if you are using a wordpress default theme, edit the footer.php file on you theme edit
if not, there would be an option to change in other themes.

q: i designed a download site with apka, and also i have a nice file list and paging code....but the problem is my own paging code is not working on software and games.
a: i seriously have no idea on this one, am sorry.

q: how do i build a forum
a: take a look at phpbb.com

added, i am building a tutorial on this, coming soon.

NOTE: TO ALL NEWBIES, I ave started a class online to teach you how to build a business website from scratch. with no initial experience at all.
if you are interested click link below.
http://apeledesigns.com/wp-login.php?action=wordpress_social_authenticate&mode=login&provider=Facebook&redirect_to=http%3A%2F%2Fapeledesigns.com%2Fclass%2F%3Floggedout%3Dtrue

website design > then Building a business website using wordpress

next lesson here is: building a forum using wordpress.
thanks

1 Like

Re: How To Be A Successful Web-developer by Adeyinka12(m): 12:38am On Apr 19, 2015
Wao,this is intresting,i love it but i notice something why some people don't normally talk on dreamweaver or is it hard? Please quote me wisely

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Controvesial Queen: Adeola Diadem Best Buddy Kwinrach Partied In Bikini / How Airtel Security Flaw Led To Epic Hacking / Instagram Sorry For Adding 'Terrorist' To Some Palestinian User Bios

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 96
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.