Stats: 3,151,321 members, 7,811,951 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 01:14 AM

What's Your Story Far In The Journey Of Web Development ? - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / What's Your Story Far In The Journey Of Web Development ? (1219 Views)

The Journey Of A Web Developer / The Monthly Income Of Web Designers / Developers In Nigeria / Proposal Letter Of Web Design Fo A Company (2) (3) (4)

What's Your Story Far In The Journey Of Web Development ? by tundewoods(m): 4:59am On Sep 01, 2007
I sometimes go down memory lane and look back at my journey so far in web design/ development and can't help but smile that i'm actually living my dreams.May sound funny but here's a brief summary of journey so far.

When growing up i had this strong feeling i'd end up in the creative world,doing my own thing and not be a 9 to 5 person with a rigid boring in some company.

I finished from High school with the intention of studying architecture but ended up in Quantity survey,by my year 2 i was not feeling my course so decided to pitch a tent into IT.By 1999 when the internet was still fresh in Nigeria,i got really curious about the internet.

By 2000 i was already into web design,but very fresh and still much of a novice,Microsoft frontpage was the in thing then,I later discovered Macromedia dreamweaver later that same year but couldn't get a full version.later on in 2001 i got more and more materials off the net and had my first full version of dreamweaver.I graduated from school as a Quantity Surveryor but God knows i never planned to thing with that course. grin

I got my first  job from a client to design a website in late 2001 and that spilled over to early 2002 when i doing my NYSC.That job infact was my motivating factor that gave me the guts to run my own web firm.

From 2002 till this point,i must confess had been quite interesting.I've been involved in quite  a number of web projects,so many sweet & nasty experiences, enough proposal writing and met the Good, the Bad & the Ugly when it comes to Clients.

If there is one thing i know, It is that i'm certainly not into web development by accident or by chance.Like Globacom slagan says "I'm here to rule my world"

So far so good,no major regrets,

I'm curious to hear some of you web developers own stories and personal experiences.

Re: What's Your Story Far In The Journey Of Web Development ? by smartsoft(m): 7:40pm On Sep 02, 2007
very good story, will paste mine soon !
Re: What's Your Story Far In The Journey Of Web Development ? by smartsoft(m): 8:19pm On Sep 02, 2007
well well well,  when i was little small i was kind of into drawings and i could remember when i close from my school then (primary school) i will run to dad's office, so one faithfull day i just look at dad when he sits and work with his old manual typewriter, taken close look at him i never knew when i drew my dad on a piece of paper,  so i showed him and he was like hummm this boy,  you know go kill me oo with this drawings. when i got home dad showed mum and mum said oh uche you drew your father huh ? well the drawing was so nice because it was just like my dad. so mum stoped me of drawing because all my books that was meant to be for my school,i finished it with drawings. she never wanted me to go into drawing, she always wanted me to work in an office like bank or any company you know,  why dad wants me to go into Nigerian Customs.

So it happend that my church then i do play keyboard for them you know one of this redeemed churches so as i play my eyes as always been at the secretary office after closing from church, i will always play around with the computer and all that. though at my house there is a near by computer school, where i will just stand outside and puck-noise to what the lecturer was teaching the student,  on Mircrosoft Frontpage not asif he was teaching them how to design a website but just a Compute Appreciation. everytime i come to the internet i just find some cool website and wonder how it was really done. so to my suprise the lecturer was teaching then, when i came back from my school days, i will always wait for the time for the lecture just 2 puck noise again and listen to the lecturer, since i don't have money to go for computer school,  so the lecturer made mention that MS Frontpage is very good for designing web pages, and i said humm wow. that is what i'm looking for, so the next sunday after the church, i just told my pastor that i will like to use the computer for just about 30mins and he allowed me. with my little book and some little write-up i gathered from the lecturer, i put them into pratice. since then i started using MS-Frontpage for designing,  so i left everything to go to school graduated with Accounting,  i never worked with it though, so when i finished i just heard about Dreamweaver and stuff like that after using MS-Frontpage for some weeks or thereabout, left it and jump to MAcromedia Studio Package. since then men it has been so good so far,  what i know today about computers  today comes from God,to an extent i even teached at a computer school, also teach a 400L student Computer engineering,  without even go to a computer school. All i did was just to download tutorials on net and put them to practice,  my engineering tutorial website then was http://www.duxcw.com and my tutorial on learning HTML then was http://www.davesite.com the lecturer mentioned it den, that HTML is the basic though. from Designing to Engineering, later went for oracle stuff,   i just thank God anyways. Now Mum and Dad said this guy as been in Creativity world when he was kind of small. i finally joined the Web Debvelopment 2004/2005 Design close to 80 difft website pages so far. have managed close to 100
Domains and Database Management not left out.

So you developers please  you guys should come-up with yours and lets fill up our eyes,  please when putting yours here just make sure you tell us how many website you've design uptill date,  how many intotal.

tundewoods how many website have you design so far ?

How like it to be in this form.

Full name
: Uchechukwu Ugo.
Domains managed : 100 Domains
Total Website Designed : 80 Sites
Company : (Smartsoft Media Technologies)----> Also an Assitant Web Developer for Syscomptech Comm. Limited.(Presently)
Marital Status : Single

Please no fake ooo at least this will let us know our people realy good
Re: What's Your Story Far In The Journey Of Web Development ? by teee: 11:00pm On Sep 03, 2007
Its been quite a long journey for me myself, very funny.

I had been on the pc since I was 7 or 8, all I remember was that my dad brought this pc from the office someday, he had also hired a computer teacher to teach us how to use it, we would sit down every day in the computer room adoring these little god sitting there, in the computer displaying bunch of stuffs to us, it was so boring I never knew I'll end up with one sleeping by my side every night. Then one day, the computer man walked in holding a disk he claimed had hundreds of games in it, he installed it and every weekend we would sit around my dad taking turns to play games, and so it came that on this faithful I decided to put into practice, all I have been taught, so I sneaked up to the pc, booted it up, bingo! I was in exploring everything in it carefully, practicing the right click, left click e.t.c at the next lecture I was the bomb, the teacher was so impressed, he got me a permission to access the pc at will, I really enjoyed it, it marked the beginning of my I.T career.
MS-DOS, is a very interesting tool on windows, very strict a tool, it cares not about a boy who had mistakenly deleted all the games on the pc , I regretted ever paying attention during MS-DOS lectures, it dint even listen to my "Please bring back all the games and files on the computer"," Please Pleas my dad will kill me" commands just kept on repeating the same word all over again, I think it was "Invalid command or file Name". My dad was mad the teacher was disappointed, to make things worst, he treated my action as though I had caused an irrevocable damage to the pc, he sat down fumbled with the pc and got back all I had deleted. From that day I was determined to know how he got it back, this really led me to lots of new discoveries like the recycle bin even further.

So i got into high school as these nerdy boy, I hooked up with the biggest guys in school the big time young hustlers, just to shake off my nerdy me. The first website I ever built was a website for someguy, who was releasing his album back then, he was paying good cash ("for an high school boy"wink, I collected his money spent it, then came back with cock and bull stories but this guy wouldn't believe me no matter how real i wanted the story to become, when he began threatening me I had to learn how to design a website within a very short time frame (free hosting of course). I was in real good business, I started making website for guys at school telling them they'll make a lot of money from it, if the school authority hadn't stepped in onetime, I'd be very rich by now. An uncle of mine, who is an I.T icon in GA, got impressed got me my first laptop ("Compaq armada m300"wink and some books on Java and CORBA for client server application development, his wife had her own IT consultancy firm, and we have been working together since then. That was how it began, now I am a core web developer/client server programmer. so i dedicate this brief article to the following people

first on the list: My dad >>> for buying the pc and getting the computer teacher.
The computer teacher for teaching how to use a mouse
The mean guy that nearly killed me "ontop how much self?"
My Uncle he helped me develop my programming skills
My Aunt thanks for the opportunities she gave me the international reoute.

I think I need to be on Oprah,  its been a long journey

Re: What's Your Story Far In The Journey Of Web Development ? by niceuzor: 2:29am On Sep 04, 2007
smartsoft - i'm touched by ur story cry Almost the same Story!!!

Don't worry Nicez is coming up with his Own Story!!! undecided
Re: What's Your Story Far In The Journey Of Web Development ? by niceuzor: 3:54am On Sep 04, 2007
My story about web-design all start from when I was in Secondary School way back in Nigeria, I attend Western Boy High School in Benin City, in my school then we don’t study computer as a subject. We only study the basic subject like Physic, Chemistry & so on then I was like how will I learn this computer with easy!!! My elder brother came down from Liberia as at 2005.he told me that I need to learn this computer because people are making good money out of it over there in Liberia!!! So I try my possible best to learn it
Then my parent doesn’t even have the money to send me to computer school but by the grace of God an internet café was close to our house. when ever I come back from school I spend the like 4 – 5 hrs learning how to use the computer and same time browsing, then I started picking up little by little.

In 2006 I started working in the same café I use to learn In fact i was so famous in the cyber cafe because I don’t miss that place even a day, & I assist customer’s a lot so some Customer's go as far start giving me name like Café BOY and to many I can’t remember, so the owner of the Cyber cafe called me one and ask me if I’m capable of working in his cyber cafe I said yes but I told him that I will think about it men the café was so big with close to 100 computers and a standby leister Generator I was like God where will I start from so I put it into prayer’s, after some days pass the men called me to start work immediately, so I started working with about 6 month or So.

Then I came across One of his Old work name Victor I call him Vicky Brown, So we sat down and start discussing, suddenly he open a website with his picture in it then I ask him how did you build the site, he said its start his tutorial class from www.goodieshtml.com then he start teaching Micro-font page & how to build easy website on www.freeservers.com I started from a free host well to short long story short?

Later move on to different web-host like www.freewebs.com and it has help me a lot not recently there the site start messing up then I move on to www.50webs.com of which I’m still using presently, now Vicky abandon web-design because I much more better than him, too bad

Introduction:
You can call me Nice_uZor or NiceZ for short I customize this name myself Uzor is my name from a Royal family in Imo state a Liberian by nationality & Naija to the fullest!!

Well if u wants to see my work then Click on the Links Below!!

I don’t have much to say because it a long story & I guess you enjoy every bit of this story?

Much love @ www.loveupdate.tk!!!

How Do Nigerians Pay For Products Online? / Web Designer/ Graphics Designer / Lean The Secret Of Generating Your Us Visa Card In 10 Minutes Using Your Country