Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,853 members, 7,810,281 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:11 AM

Patronizing Children(young) Street Hawkers - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Patronizing Children(young) Street Hawkers (15850 Views)

Ritualists In Another Level! Sex Hawkers Be On Alert!!! / Two Dead In Lagos As Drunk Driver Over Runs Hawkers / The Indispensable Role Of Agege Bread Hawkers In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Patronizing Children(young) Street Hawkers by Enosa1(m): 6:35am On Nov 08, 2014
Walking through the streets of Benin,many streets in Nigeria-infact many parts of the world-its not uncommon to see little children ranging from 5-13yrs hawking goods like purewater,groundnut. Some are also bus conductors.

Whenever I see such,two thoughts flash through my mind.
One is: Patronize this little child so he/she get home on time.
The other:don't patronize the little child,in that way, you discourage such practice.

So nairalanders, what do you do in such cases?

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Patronizing Children(young) Street Hawkers by DesChyko: 6:59am On Nov 08, 2014
I will patronize them and go home early myself.
One can't criticize them because we don't know where they are coming from.
If they had a proper life, they would be in the proper place at the proper time.

50 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Patronizing Children(young) Street Hawkers by eleojo23: 7:17am On Nov 08, 2014
Most of these kids are from less privileged homes. It pains my heart to see kids who should be in school, hawking under the hot sun and gettin drenched in the rain sometimes. Whenever I see them, I wish I have enough money to give them so that they would not have to hawk ever again. Not patronizing them on my part may not really be a good option unless everyone thinks that way. I say this because, if I refuse to patronize them, someone else will and so it continues. The solution is to find a way to help struggling families so that kids are not sent out as breadwinners. Also a very decisive step has to be taken by the government to stop parents from using kids that way.

30 Likes

Re: Patronizing Children(young) Street Hawkers by Nobody: 7:23am On Nov 08, 2014
The funniest part is, if they are not able to sell at least half of the goods, their mothers will beat the hell out of them.

Its not about buying or not buying from them, the federal government should just ban it. I'm sure we have children welfare groups in this country and they are not doing anything about it

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Patronizing Children(young) Street Hawkers by anonimi: 8:11am On Nov 08, 2014
eleojo23:
Most of these kids are from less privileged homes. It pains my heart to see kids who should be in school, hawking under the hot sun and gettin drenched in the rain sometimes. Whenever I see them, I wish I have enough money to give them so that they would not have to hawk ever again. Not patronizing them on my part may not really be a good option unless everyone thinks that way. I say this because, if I refuse to patronize them, someone else will and so it continues. The solution is to find a way to help struggling families so that kids are not sent out as breadwinners. Also a very decisive step has to be taken by the government to stop parents from using kids that way.

The solution is to focus on our state gorvernors and LGA chairmen's performance on such BASIC things like ensuring ALL our children receive PROPER education from PROFESSIONAL qualified teachers.
Focusing SOLELY on the federal government's performance while these two tiers are stealing recklessly from us is a recipe for continuing disaster.

32 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Patronizing Children(young) Street Hawkers by eleojo23: 9:26am On Nov 08, 2014
anonimi:

The solution is to focus on our state gorvernors and LGA chairmen's performance on such BASIC things like ensuring ALL our children receive PROPER education from PROFESSIONAL qualified teachers.
Focusing SOLELY on the federal government's performance while these two tiers are stealing recklessly from us is a recipe for continuing disaster.
I like how you put the emphasis on the state and local governments. People often forget that they exist, that's why they always focus on the federal government. The state and local governments are closer to the people and should be able to effectively manage things like this. Over the years, the state and local governments have done little to help the populace and that's why we are where we are today. And the sad part is people don't know who to hold responsible for certain things in this country. For instance, when someone's tap water is not running or the road leading to his house is bad, what does he do? He rains curses on the federal government (and whoever is the president) for it.

17 Likes

Re: Patronizing Children(young) Street Hawkers by Enosa1(m): 11:43am On Nov 08, 2014
anonimi:

Nice contributions so far. But we seems to be leaving the parents out of it. In Edo state for example, the primary and secondary school education is free of charge but still,many of such "less privilege" parent won't encourage their ward to attend. BTW won't it be better as a father/mother to take up the responsibility-even if it means hawking-instead of passing it over to the innocent ward?

This is my major reason of considering the thought of ignoring them(i.e,discouraging their guidance from such act)

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Patronizing Children(young) Street Hawkers by iceberylin(m): 6:41pm On Nov 15, 2014
Even when am filled i usually buy pure water from them....

embarassed

6 Likes

Re: Patronizing Children(young) Street Hawkers by EbuGeneral(m): 6:41pm On Nov 15, 2014
Sometimes these children elect to hustle for themselves. Though some parents are to blame. For me, patronize them and go my way.

1 Like

Re: Patronizing Children(young) Street Hawkers by blemon44(m): 6:41pm On Nov 15, 2014
help them cos they are in need thats why they are in that condition

1 Like

Re: Patronizing Children(young) Street Hawkers by danaiks(m): 6:41pm On Nov 15, 2014
Na condition make crayfish bend oo
If u don't patronise them someone else will
So wetin we go do nww

2 Likes

Re: Patronizing Children(young) Street Hawkers by eleko1: 6:41pm On Nov 15, 2014
Re: Patronizing Children(young) Street Hawkers by Nobody: 6:41pm On Nov 15, 2014
Oregonal:
Hawkers u say.
EbuGeneral:
blemon44:
ok
danaiks:
tongue
eleko1:
tongue

Your oustanding dues are going riot and walking naked.

Pay your dues!

Pay your dues!!

Nairaland aint a charity organisation grin

5 Likes

Re: Patronizing Children(young) Street Hawkers by eleko1: 6:42pm On Nov 15, 2014
wink
Re: Patronizing Children(young) Street Hawkers by Babyboy1986(m): 6:42pm On Nov 15, 2014
Ok
Re: Patronizing Children(young) Street Hawkers by englishmart(m): 6:42pm On Nov 15, 2014
I do patronise them like maaaadd!
What do you expect of Children from poor families, who don't don't have what it takes to rent shops for trading or whatever?

I see them every time. Especially at wuse and life-camp...

They bring their products and services to your car windows...
You don't have to park then alight to buy gala, lacasera or a sachet of water....

Honestly I feel very sorry for those children....
Most times I let them have my balance...

If they don't hawk, ends won't meet...

3 Likes

Re: Patronizing Children(young) Street Hawkers by 573V31D(m): 6:42pm On Nov 15, 2014
I buy from them not out of pity or abasement, provided the utility from their goods is worth it.

1 Like

Re: Patronizing Children(young) Street Hawkers by eleko1: 6:42pm On Nov 15, 2014
cool
Re: Patronizing Children(young) Street Hawkers by Feranmicharles(m): 6:42pm On Nov 15, 2014
C'mon partronise 'em so that he could go home early,we all know the situation of our country right now... [color=#990000]One must hustle[\color].
Re: Patronizing Children(young) Street Hawkers by poundlander: 6:42pm On Nov 15, 2014
ghh
Re: Patronizing Children(young) Street Hawkers by abila122: 6:43pm On Nov 15, 2014
I would patronize them so as to help them finish their sales and go home early

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Patronizing Children(young) Street Hawkers by plumule(m): 6:43pm On Nov 15, 2014
if u patronize dem u are at gian becos u will no longer go extra mile for the commodity (time saved).
If u dont just knw dat any cry u hear at twilight is as a result of bad market.
Re: Patronizing Children(young) Street Hawkers by coolvitus(m): 6:44pm On Nov 15, 2014
Bros na condition oh
Re: Patronizing Children(young) Street Hawkers by Afrocatalyst: 6:45pm On Nov 15, 2014
Hmm.. That's deep.
Something brought them there. If I need their services/goods I buy them .

1 Like

Re: Patronizing Children(young) Street Hawkers by wedemboiz(m): 6:46pm On Nov 15, 2014
kk
Re: Patronizing Children(young) Street Hawkers by TDonald: 6:46pm On Nov 15, 2014
I am against child abuse, but street hawking is no
necessarily a manifestation of child abuse. Please allow the
poor children to enjoy some dignity of labor. At least they are
working instead of stealing......I do patronise them...

2 Likes

Re: Patronizing Children(young) Street Hawkers by instinctg(m): 6:46pm On Nov 15, 2014
its quite a tough one but what other choices do these kids have? the irresponsible govt or poor parents?
Re: Patronizing Children(young) Street Hawkers by Bleshh: 6:46pm On Nov 15, 2014
Enosa1:
Walking through the streets of Benin,many streets in Nigeria-infact many parts of the world-its not uncommon to see little children ranging from 5-13yrs hawking goods like purewater,groundnut. Some are also bus conductors.

Whenever I see such,two thoughts flash through my mind.
One is: Patronize this little child so he/she get home on time.
The other:don't patronize the little child,in that way, you discourage such practice.

So nairalanders, what do you do in such cases?
Re: Patronizing Children(young) Street Hawkers by kendrick93(m): 6:46pm On Nov 15, 2014
i always patronize them.. because dats d only means of survival they have

1 Like

Re: Patronizing Children(young) Street Hawkers by Rapsainot(m): 6:47pm On Nov 15, 2014
everyone have his /her own story to tell... I was once in this category... grin.

4 Likes

Re: Patronizing Children(young) Street Hawkers by Nairabeezie(m): 6:47pm On Nov 15, 2014
x

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

The Osu Caste System In Igboland Discrimination Based On Descent / Lagos Cancels Tomorrow’s (nov 29) Sanitation / How To Spot A Nigerian Girl Abroad

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.