Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,527 members, 7,823,296 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 08:14 AM

Patronizing Children(young) Street Hawkers - Nairaland / General (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Patronizing Children(young) Street Hawkers (15876 Views)

Ritualists In Another Level! Sex Hawkers Be On Alert!!! / Two Dead In Lagos As Drunk Driver Over Runs Hawkers / The Indispensable Role Of Agege Bread Hawkers In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Patronizing Children(young) Street Hawkers by JustCurious: 1:46pm On Nov 16, 2014
Appliedmaths:
I'm currently working on my BSc project, and my topic is STREET TRADING AND INCOME GENERATION AMONG YOUTHS IN BENIN CITY. You would agree with me that street trading is the largest sector of the very large informal economy in most developing countries Nigeria included. The issue at hand goes beyond "right or wrong", "morally acceptable of not". Well I'm on the other side of the argument that sees street trading activity as a "life saver" in terms of generating income for families and also reducing social vices in its own quota. After interviewing these youths (aged 13-30 tops, for my research purpose) via questionnaire and one-on-one interaction, it may interest you to know that some of them are getting quality education at the moment and at the same time assisting their parents in generating income for living. On the other hand, some of the youth street traders don't even have formal education. So the argument goes on,I'm still on the process of empirically proving my stand that street trading activities among youths in benin city has done more good than harm to the lives of the families involved and the economy at large.

I stay in ekosodin, when the comrade governor in the person of his excellency adams oshiomole placed a ban on. bikes(okada) in ekosodin Beinn city just behind UNIBEN, for the 1st 3weeks to 1 and the half month bros we had sleepless night. The hostel robbery increased and the " street obtaining also increased." After the 1st 2month, keke-napep and taxis were "fully" introduced and the crime rate decreased to a minimal (mind you not totally).

So yet again, the arguments goes on. But in my point of view, leave the children/youths to engage in street trading activities. If we are ready to curb street trading activities among youths/children then I suggest that the Government at all tiers, relevant organizations and the community need to have a round table discussion. Until then, LET THE CHILDREN/YOUTH TRADE FREELY ON THE STREES if not for anything at least for the very fact that the positive side of the coin sustains families and reduces social vices to a minimum.

My work is still in progress...

It would have been okay to let the children trade freely on the streets IF there are no high risks involved, especially for those who run after moving vehicles on expressway. It's damn too risky. And, that was why I shared the link above..www.rsnnigeria..com/2014/11/boys-on-street_8.html?m=1

Do you know how many of them get knocked down on expressways on daily basis? Maybe you should do some research work on that, too.

It's quite okay if children trade on less busy road, and not expressways. This is a NO-NO for me. Kindly read up the short reflection on that link, pls. Thanks.
Re: Patronizing Children(young) Street Hawkers by Appliedmaths(m): 4:39pm On Nov 16, 2014
JustCurious:

It would have been okay to let the children trade freely on the streets IF there are no high risks involved, especially for those who run after moving vehicles on expressway. It's damn too risky. And, that was why I shared the link above..www.rsnnigeria..com/2014/11/boys-on-street_8.html?m=1

Do you know how many of them get knocked down on expressways on daily basis? Maybe you should do some research work on that, too.

It's quite okay if children trade on less busy road, and not expressways. This is a NO-NO for me. Kindly read up the short reflection on that link, pls. Thanks.

Again it boils down to a collective decision between the Government, relevant agencies and the community which would comprise of the parents. Believe me you can't tell a man who depends on his 2 children's income from street trading to take his children OFF THE STREET. I understand your point of view, but no manner of compulsory Govt. Strict law would take these kids off the street. They have tried to forcefully take them off the streets and they have successfully FAILED.

MY TAKE: provide a Market structure ( like a relief market ) to accommodate these kids, you can't just STOP their trade and expect them to go home empty handed. Ask yourself this question, "if not for the Informal sector what would have been the fate of most Nigerians?" As it stands today, the Informal sector is the largest employer about 55% of labor in Nigeria.

So still airing my views in favour of street trading, I believe in order to reduce its advantages certain step-by-step measures needs to be introduced and not just giving the go ahead to STOP street trading activities.

1 Like

Re: Patronizing Children(young) Street Hawkers by englishmart(m): 4:48pm On Nov 16, 2014
Neldrizzy:
Berger junction, Gwarinpa/dawaki junction, dutse 1st gate, down to maraba/Nyanya... Its pathetic hw these kids run after a moving car jus for 10N pure water sadsadsad
very pathetic indeed...
Re: Patronizing Children(young) Street Hawkers by SenatorJames(m): 10:03pm On Nov 16, 2014
Enosa1:
Nice contributions so far. But we seems to be leaving the parents out of it. In Edo state for example, the primary and secondary school education is free of charge but still,many of such "less privilege" parent won't encourage their ward to attend. BTW won't it be better as a father/mother to take up the responsibility-even if it means hawking-instead of passing it over to the innocent ward?

This is my major reason of considering the thought of ignoring them(i.e,discouraging their guidance from such act)
Ignoring them is good, but its just a temporary solution. Our Government should enforce policy on child welfare, With that things may improve. If you refuse to buy from them, many others will buy and the business continues.
Re: Patronizing Children(young) Street Hawkers by Enosa1(m): 10:21pm On Nov 16, 2014
SenatorJames:
Ignoring them is good, but its just a temporary solution. Our Government should enforce policy on child welfare, With that things may improve. If you refuse to buy from them, many others will buy and the business continues.
Since you are a senator,I believe you are in a better position to bring the matter before relevant authority undecided
Re: Patronizing Children(young) Street Hawkers by chiibekee(f): 6:27am On Nov 17, 2014
eleojo23:
Most of these kids are from less privileged homes. It pains my heart to see kids who should be in school, hawking under the hot sun and gettin drenched in the rain sometimes. Whenever I see them, I wish I have enough money to give them so that they would not have to hawk ever again. Not patronizing them on my part may not really be a good option unless everyone thinks that way. I say this because, if I refuse to patronize them, someone else will and so it continues. The solution is to find a way to help struggling families so that kids are not sent out as breadwinners. Also a very decisive step has to be taken by the government to stop parents from using kids that way.
what baffles me most is that people use it as a way of making money. They will gather those children to be selling and accounting daily for them. They will keep threatening those kids that if they don't play along with them, they will be killed. Sometimes I don't feel guilty not giving them money cos they are working for one man. I think the best thing is for the government to make provisions and stop street hawking. Thank u.

1 Like

Re: Patronizing Children(young) Street Hawkers by veritas312(m): 12:12pm On Nov 21, 2014
Appliedmaths:

Again it boils down to a collective decision between the Government, relevant agencies and the community which would comprise of the parents. Believe me you can't tell a man who depends on his 2 children's income from street trading to take his children OFF THE STREET. I understand your point of view, but no manner of compulsory Govt. Strict law would take these kids off the street. They have tried to forcefully take them off the streets and they have successfully FAILED.

MY TAKE: provide a Market structure ( like a relief market ) to accommodate these kids, you can't just STOP their trade and expect them to go home empty handed. Ask yourself this question, "if not for the Informal sector what would have been the fate of most Nigerians?" As it stands today, the Informal sector is the largest employer about 55% of labor in Nigeria.

So still airing my views in favour of street trading, I believe in order to reduce its advantages certain step-by-step measures needs to be introduced and not just giving the go ahead to STOP street trading activities.
I like the way you articulated your points...but I beg to disagree with a premise you used...the example of a man depending on the income generated by his kids. That sounds appalling, it is the duty of the parent to provide for the kids and not the other way around. Why must the innocent kids be made to pay for their parent's wrong choices? Why have children when you can't even take care of your own self?
Re: Patronizing Children(young) Street Hawkers by veritas312(m): 12:18pm On Nov 21, 2014
chiibekee:
what baffles me most is that people use it as a way of making money. They will gather those children to be selling and accounting daily for them. They will keep threatening those kids that if they don't play along with them, they will be killed. Sometimes I don't feel guilty not giving them money cos they are working for one man. I think the best thing is for the government to make provisions and stop street hawking. Thank u.
My sister, it is a criminal offence under the child Rights law here in Nigeria. The sad news is that no state govt aside from Lagos has domesticated that particular law....and that includes the FTC. Even the Lagos that have domesticated the law is still lagging behind when it comes to implementation. In that case what do we now do. My humble submission is that, this is only a symptom of a sick socioeconomic system...and we can only correct it if we treat the whole system with the right amount of political will. Until then, the vicious cycle will continue.
Re: Patronizing Children(young) Street Hawkers by Appliedmaths(m): 12:57pm On Nov 21, 2014
veritas312:
I like the way you articulated your points...but I beg to disagree with a premise you used...the example of a man depending on the income generated by his kids. That sounds appalling, it is the duty of the parent to provide for the kids and not the other way around. Why must the innocent kids be made to pay for their parent's wrong choices? Why have children when you can't even take care of your own self?

As appalling as it may sound, these are real life issues. This is what is on ground, where an okada man would give birth to five children and still depend on one okada to cater for the family. So what do you expect? I have taken a survey, and truth is some situations are really porous, others are fair while only a few are good.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

How To Spot A Nigerian Girl Abroad / Pictures Of Bush Rat(okete) Killed Today / Street-Kid Turned Vulcanizer Makes N5,000 Daily

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.