Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,409 members, 7,819,465 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:49 PM

Wigs, Weaves And Perms Symbolize Self Hate - Fashion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / Wigs, Weaves And Perms Symbolize Self Hate (44628 Views)

Latest Weaves In The Market And Prices / Worm-infested Weaves Now In The Market / ~ How Long Do You Keep Your Weaves, Braids & Cornrows~ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Wigs, Weaves And Perms Symbolize Self Hate by osisi6(f): 6:03am On Nov 24, 2008
KarmaMod:

Rofl grin

Can you imagine how disgusting this dude smells? A chic with a weave must have turned him down during his stinky "toasting" hence the angry thread

Your duty isnt to harass woman for what they put on their heads, it's for you to take English classes and work on your grammar. Olodo elede.

I've seen plenty of them.
One I was acquainted with was even wearing cowrie shells as necklace and anklet all in a bid to africanize.
Her daughter, a little grade school girl walking around with dada because the mother wants to be natural.
Nothing wrong with that.
They can wear clothing made of fig leaves and look like John the Baptist, no problem.
Where I draw the line is talking down on people who prefer not to shop at the same stores they do.
Manipulation is equated with witchcraft,biblically speaking and that''s what these individuals do
Re: Wigs, Weaves And Perms Symbolize Self Hate by fayahsoul: 6:04am On Nov 24, 2008
KarmaMod:

Can you imagine how disgusting this dude smells? A chic with a weave must have turned him down during his stinky "toasting" hence the angry thread

Your duty isnt to harass woman for what they put on their heads, it's for you to take English classes and work on your grammar. Olodo elede.

Haha! you got jokes,
Re: Wigs, Weaves And Perms Symbolize Self Hate by Hauwa1: 6:04am On Nov 24, 2008
i need money to do my hair for christmas/salah. please auntys help me.
Re: Wigs, Weaves And Perms Symbolize Self Hate by fayahsoul: 6:30am On Nov 24, 2008
*osisi:

First off,I actually feel offended when you refer to me as Nubian.
I'm a black,Igbo Nigerian lady.I had never heard the word Nubian till I arrived the USA and always from these sort of people and there's nothing Nubian about me so please lose that description.
Call me African if you're short of a proper description and I'm sure I'm not alone in this.

If your black your a nubian whether you like it or not. Nubian is just another word for black.

[b]Secondly, who do you think you are to tell people (who have not complained to you) what they feel and also insist that you know the solution to their feelings.[/b]That s the beginning of madness if you don't know.
There's no concrete evidence anyway to show that applying a perm causes cancer as you've thrown around loosely with your half baked "african studies" mentality.If there is, kindly cite the study.

we are all black and we share the same collective struggle; one of which is the fight against colonial mentality. I know the psychological state of my weave wearing perm loving nubian sistas and what they really think deep down in their hearts about their nappy hair. I come from a black woman and i overstand their problems. I am not a stranger to this but i am analysing the situation objectively from without that particular thought system.

Thirdly ,you cannot impose your own feelings of insecurity on other people.If you felt insecure in your so called nubian-ness and then permed, jherri curled or added weave to your hair,that doesn't mean I have the same feelings about myself

I have no insecurities and as a matter of fact i am amongst a very few nubian men who has the confidence and balls to call you fake sistas to order.

That's why you're you and I'm me.
That we're of the same race,doesn't necessarily mean that I must feel the same exact way you feel about things.
So please speak for yourself.
Speak of your own experiences and leave it at that ,rather than try to shove your annoying gospel down our throats [b]and then throw a tantrum when people disagree with you.[/b]quote]

You will not believe how many brothas think the same way but are scared to voice it.
By the way, I never threw tantrums, what are you talking about? They may seem like tantrums to you because the turth hurts.
Re: Wigs, Weaves And Perms Symbolize Self Hate by Tatase(f): 7:24am On Nov 24, 2008
@ fayahsoul

Um excuse me, I don't know where you're getting your info but not all africans are Nubians. Nubians are the oldest recognized african civilization but we're not all Nubians. That's a specific ethnic group that actually still exists today. It's very African-American-ish to be saying something like that as though no real identity exists. I don't need to search for an identity, I know where I'm from and thank God I know where my ancestors are from. I don't know what your upbringing was or where it was to have resulted in such racial identity-consciousness. I grew up in Nigeria and none of the Nigerians I know feel the need to constantly reassure themselves about their race or to do things to make them black enough or whatever. I think more about my nationality and my ethnic groups than I do about my race because it's not really an issue for me.

You're entitled to your opinion about my subconscious but since it is MY subconscious, and since I know best about who I am and what I feel, I think I'll take your opinion with a pinch of salt. Maybe for you, permed hair or whatever affects your sense of self, but for me it doesn't. For me it's easy and my hair grows and is quite thick and healthy and so I'm happy.

I think your concern for your "sisters" is good and very honourable, however, I think you're a little too liberal in your generalizations. I could judge you for not using deodorant or for your other personal habits, but that's your choice, and it's not my place to make a generalized judgement call about you, I don't know you.

I think my definition of being African (a term I can agree with) is different from yours. I'm African because I am and because that's where my soul feels at home. I don't think being African is about having to look a certain way or be a certain way or do certain things or like certain foods or anything. It's not anyone's place to define for another something that is so personal. It's not at all like gay marriage like you said. Gay marriage is something you can see, what my sentiments and my ideas and my view myself are, these things are not something that it is your place to try to define because you don't know me and it's a personal thing.

You don't know enough about each individual person to just judge them by their hair. It's like judging someone by their skin or nationality. Are all black people the same? Are all Nigerians the same? Even if you get to my ethnic group, are we all the same? Do we all like the same things? Have the same thoughts and ideas? Are your feelings the exact same as that of even your siblings? There may be those who feel the things that you have described, but it's certainly not everyone. Next thing you'll say Africans should only wear African fabric, that Western clothes are a sign of oppression of our colonial masters or something, and that our traditional fabrics should only be sewn in traditional styles none of this new-fangled ankara outfits. I mean, y'know? It's a bit much. shocked wink
Re: Wigs, Weaves And Perms Symbolize Self Hate by Tatase(f): 7:36am On Nov 24, 2008
@ fayahsoul
I just looked at all your past NL posts o. You are a very scary person. I'm quite scared of you militant types. Like so much anger and hate and condescension to people who are not like you and who don't think exactly you. At least that's how it comes across. It's not something I can identify with because in general I love people and try not to judge based on the outside. I see now that we probably won't ever agree on this issue or probably on any others having to do with African identity. Ok I get it now. <moment of clarity> Alright. I'll beg to differ on this subject and I'll wish you a pleasant week.
Re: Wigs, Weaves And Perms Symbolize Self Hate by KarmaMod(f): 4:20pm On Nov 24, 2008
Tatase:

@ fayahsoul
I just looked at all your past NL posts o. You are a very scary person. I'm quite scared of you militant types. Like so much anger and hate and condescension to people who are not like you and who don't think exactly you.

Once he started his "nubian" rants, I knew he was one of those psychos.
Re: Wigs, Weaves And Perms Symbolize Self Hate by sweeriie(f): 5:16pm On Nov 24, 2008
well. . .
i think we are justified for wanting to wear our hair the way we do. u're male, so there's no way u'd understand. . . all u have 2 do is go 2 the barber's probably once a week n u're good to go.
i have a braid on right now. this is the 2nd time in my entire life that i'm braidin my hair. when i take this out, i plan to do another one tho (i didnt kno wat i was missin! lol)
its a whole lot less stress than havin ur hair just like that. every mornin, all i have 2 do is oil my scalp (n that's just cuz of this crazy weather)
on the other hand, when i had my hair just the way it was, i found it really stressful combin it every few minutes just to be neat. in fact, on days when i had nowhere to go n i knew i'd be indoors, i didnt bother combin at all.
i do not hate myself. infact, its cuz i love myself n i dont want unnecessary stress every mornin that i'm goin to start braidin on the regular.
i'm not trying to be someone i'm not either. trying to be white is obviously an unattainable goal, so y bother? i love myself as i am. . . with my braids on.

p.s: my hair is not falling out,  in fact, its actually growing (yes, at the temple and at the nape! lol)
Re: Wigs, Weaves And Perms Symbolize Self Hate by sweeriie(f): 5:22pm On Nov 24, 2008
Tatase:

@ fayahsoul

Um excuse me, I don't know where you're getting your info but not all africans are Nubians. Nubians are the oldest recognized african civilization but we're not all Nubians. That's a specific ethnic group that actually still exists today. It's very African-American-ish to be saying something like that as though no real identity exists. I don't need to search for an identity, I know where I'm from and thank God I know where my ancestors are from. I don't know what your upbringing was or where it was to have resulted in such racial identity-consciousness. I grew up in Nigeria and none of the Nigerians I know feel the need to constantly reassure themselves about their race or to do things to make them black enough or whatever. I think more about my nationality and my ethnic groups than I do about my race because it's not really an issue for me. 

You're entitled to your opinion about my subconscious but since it is MY subconscious, and since I know best about who I am and what I feel, I think I'll take your opinion with a pinch of salt. Maybe for you, permed hair or whatever affects your sense of self, but for me it doesn't. For me it's easy and my hair grows and is quite thick and healthy and so I'm happy.

I think your concern for your "sisters" is good and very honourable, however, I think you're a little too liberal in your generalizations. I could judge you for not using deodorant or for your other personal habits, but that's your choice, and it's not my place to make a generalized judgement call about you, I don't know you.

I think my definition of being African (a term I can agree with) is different from yours. I'm African because I am and because that's where my soul feels at home. I don't think being African is about having to look a certain way or be a certain way or do certain things or like certain foods or anything. It's not anyone's place to define for another something that is so personal. It's not at all like gay marriage like you said. Gay marriage is something you can see, what my sentiments and my ideas and my view myself are, these things are not something that it is your place to try to define because you don't know me and it's a personal thing.

You don't know enough about each individual person to just judge them by their hair. It's like judging someone by their skin or nationality. Are all black people the same? Are all Nigerians the same? Even if you get to my ethnic group, are we all the same? Do we all like the same things? Have the same thoughts and ideas? Are your feelings the exact same as that of even your siblings? There may be those who feel the things that you have described, but it's certainly not everyone. Next thing you'll say Africans should only wear African fabric, that Western clothes are a sign of oppression of our colonial masters or something, and that our traditional fabrics should only be sewn in traditional styles none of this new-fangled ankara outfits. I mean, y'know? It's a bit much.  shocked wink

yeah,  preach it sis! i feel u mehnn. . .  smiley
Re: Wigs, Weaves And Perms Symbolize Self Hate by Nobody: 5:38pm On Nov 24, 2008
fayahsoul:

In nubia(and world wide), the representation of God as white is widely accepted and as a result nubian females attempt to emulate this eurocentric image of God. And in the west they also wear weaves and perms for job security. all these are further compounded by global western media outlets and dominant ideologies (which are replete with embedded images) that protay the white female as a universal standard of beauty. Note that this is a psychological warfare that takes place in the subconscious and subsequently manifests as self-hating practices.

Gosh what a racially oppressed dude!!! Take your campaign, or preferably feed this garbage to those totally disconnected and searching for an identity.
Re: Wigs, Weaves And Perms Symbolize Self Hate by DavidDylan(m): 5:42pm On Nov 24, 2008
fayahsoul, is your "wife" white? grin

dont worry, you're no longer in the minority so pls leave our sisters and their hair alone.
Re: Wigs, Weaves And Perms Symbolize Self Hate by osisi6(f): 6:06pm On Nov 24, 2008
DavidDylan:

fayahsoul, is your "wife" white? grin

don't worry, you're no longer in the minority so please leave our sisters and their hair alone.

Now that's a confident Nigerian man talking
Re: Wigs, Weaves And Perms Symbolize Self Hate by osisi6(f): 6:09pm On Nov 24, 2008
this nonsensical thread is now frontpage news
Seun don't make me pull out somebody's weave grin
Re: Wigs, Weaves And Perms Symbolize Self Hate by Comfort86(f): 6:12pm On Nov 24, 2008
Hee hee  grin  Funny stuff.
Re: Wigs, Weaves And Perms Symbolize Self Hate by Lady2(f): 6:27pm On Nov 24, 2008
I love my weaves, got one on right now. The only thing I agree with is the perming of the hair. I don't like the use of chemicals on my hair, but that's just for me.

But seriously poster, this ridiculous, there are other important things to talk about that.
Re: Wigs, Weaves And Perms Symbolize Self Hate by vislabraye(m): 6:34pm On Nov 24, 2008
cheesy cheesy, What a cocept. Poor women. Women are usually criticised about their looks/appearance by social, religious or cultural groups. But what this dude is saying sounds hilarious,
What he should criticize the most is, the use of cosmetic surgery for aesthetic purpose. I like weavon on ladies, i like ladies who look smart. But when it comes to bleaching ( or toning a euphemism commonly used), then its normal to criticize.
@ Poster
I think u should know the right thing to criticize and rant about. Agreed there are alot of fake women, but there should be a well defined line,
Re: Wigs, Weaves And Perms Symbolize Self Hate by ayobase(m): 6:38pm On Nov 24, 2008
this thread,
we need to be very
careful about it,

we all have our reasons
of doing some things.

we should always visit the
origin to know what catalysed
whatever!!!
Re: Wigs, Weaves And Perms Symbolize Self Hate by Nobody: 6:42pm On Nov 24, 2008
I think everyone is entitled to their own opinions and to freedom of choice. If someone likes to put attachments well good for them. If someone likes
colored lenses, well good for them also. Being african is a thing of the soul, its who I am, I do not have to prove anything to anyone or dress in a particular
way. Next thing we will have a post saying if we wear suits/ties we are being white or something.
I ve seen some AA's trying to be african, with their kwanzaa and a whole lot, making their hair looking weird and that, and while I might feel they look weird, I don't judge them, I just let them be.
When I see an african chic with nice attachments, I look at her beauty and admire the style, I don't look at self hate.
And cmon, about interacial marriages, look God created us all, live and let live. Please girls, if u like colored contacts or weave ons, carry go. You are the ones who know whats in your hearts, and no one has any right to judge anyone.
Re: Wigs, Weaves And Perms Symbolize Self Hate by UNLEASHED(m): 7:14pm On Nov 24, 2008
@Gamine
This ain't about going around in your birthday suit, it's about imitating, making use of artificials to look hmmm undecided
Re: Wigs, Weaves And Perms Symbolize Self Hate by shetan: 7:20pm On Nov 24, 2008
I think we should leave ladies( men are also into this) to do whatever they like with their hair. In any case, will they ever listen? You dont tell a child to stay away from fire. When the fire burns his hands, he will stay away.
Re: Wigs, Weaves And Perms Symbolize Self Hate by shetan: 7:24pm On Nov 24, 2008
I think we should leave ladies( men are also into this) to do whatever they like with their hair. In any case, will they ever listen? You dont tell a child to stay away from fire. When the fire burns his hands, he will stay away.
Re: Wigs, Weaves And Perms Symbolize Self Hate by tope2000(f): 7:26pm On Nov 24, 2008
Rubbish thread
It ought to be locked angry angry
Re: Wigs, Weaves And Perms Symbolize Self Hate by osisi6(f): 7:33pm On Nov 24, 2008
UNLEASHED:

@Gamine
This ain't about going around in your birthday suit, it's about imitating, making use of artificials to look hmmm undecided

Imitating what ?
why is it that it's always you men telling us women what's good for us
You'll tell women to wear hijabs compulsorily or get arrested,don't wear trousers,don't perm our hair,don't straddle an okada, don't wear make up,don't wear weaves and,wear a burqua.
What is about u that makes you folks so concerned about our appearance?
we don't care if you grow your bia bia to 1 foot,we don't care if you grow out your sideburns like a castrated chia pet.We don't even care whether you have a pot belly,or receeding hair line, we just won't date you grin
Please be so kind to do same to us.
Keep away from girls whose hairstyles are not to your taste but don't tell us what or what not to wear on our hair and everywhere else.
Re: Wigs, Weaves And Perms Symbolize Self Hate by osisi6(f): 7:36pm On Nov 24, 2008
tope2000:

Rubbish thread
It ought to be locked angry angry

and the original poster with his smelly armpits arrested and jailed.
Re: Wigs, Weaves And Perms Symbolize Self Hate by Hauwa1: 7:42pm On Nov 24, 2008
you have to see ladies with unkept weaves. you will hate weaves. braid sef don chop their hair finish. . . i wonder what will happen in old age.
perm sef na money. . not even good in cold weather. just wrap your hair like erikah and life goes on.
Re: Wigs, Weaves And Perms Symbolize Self Hate by Gamine(f): 7:45pm On Nov 24, 2008
My self hatred must have gone through the roof!  cry

I wear wigs, weaves of all natural hair colors, from golden brown, to raven black

i wear contact lense of gray, blue, im gonna get green this week not fashion, corrective

i own only ONE native wear, the rest is well "white"

i use, deodorants, perfume, body lotion, sunscren made by "white" companies

i watch "white" tv shows and movies

i listen to "white" music

i play "white"  games

Gosh! and the list goes on,

Fayah soul, what can i do to amend my ways!! cry

Only thing I personally see as self hate is YES GAMINE, colored contacts. Also add blonde weaves on black women. Now that's someone with issues. Anything else, it's just women looking for ways to make their hair styles versatile.

You and Fayah Soul are on the same path

Gimme the justification for the "attachments" you put in your hair

Its just like two white racist people arguing,
One says; We must be racist to ALL non-whites
and the other says, No, we should be racist to only Black people.

@Unleashed,
Which artificials ?, to look like ?? undecided

@Wavemasta,
Correct guy!  grin
Re: Wigs, Weaves And Perms Symbolize Self Hate by milknhoney(f): 7:50pm On Nov 24, 2008
Seriously I'm starting to believe the Original Poster is a Born-Again African.
I mean who seriously preaches about {Nubian} this and {Nubian} that.
Who is this {Nubian} anyway??
He is obviously a proclaimed (westerner) trying to get in touch back with his {African} roots.
Nubian ko, [i](old)[/i]bian ni.
Re: Wigs, Weaves And Perms Symbolize Self Hate by KarmaMod(f): 7:52pm On Nov 24, 2008
Gamine, ma da mi lamu. Im not telling you to take yours out. If you like keep enjoying "omg your eyes are really green!" compliments. corrective ko. punishment ni. Na you, omo  wink

*osisi:

Keep away from girls whose hairstyles are not to your taste but don't tell us what or what not to wear on our hair and everywhere else.

It's as simple as that.  cool
Re: Wigs, Weaves And Perms Symbolize Self Hate by KarmaMod(f): 7:53pm On Nov 24, 2008
milknhoney:

Seriously I'm starting to believe the Original Poster is a Born-Again African.
I mean who seriously preaches about {Nubian} this and {Nubian} that.
Who is this {Nubian} anyway??
He is obviously a proclaimed (westerner) trying to get in touch back with his {African} roots.
Nubian ko, [i](old)[/i]bian ni.

all these losers that take like 1 or 2 African American studies classes then suddenly think they can yarn dust.
Re: Wigs, Weaves And Perms Symbolize Self Hate by DavidDylan(m): 7:55pm On Nov 24, 2008
Perms - ok
Wigs - Not ok
Weaves - Braids only.

David has spoken, let every man be silent.

1 Like

Re: Wigs, Weaves And Perms Symbolize Self Hate by KarmaMod(f): 7:56pm On Nov 24, 2008
according to Davi, cancer patients arent allowed to wear wigs cry
Re: Wigs, Weaves And Perms Symbolize Self Hate by ndgfx(m): 8:00pm On Nov 24, 2008
i thot guys would say a little 1 or 2 but since this is an all women thingy , i guess i'll just go mmm,

for the records, in my opinion, you going with nature, you rock baby!!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply)

Photos: Am The Most Handsome And Decent Nairalander, Your Take / Cute Ankara Style / What Is Wrong With This Photo(pineapple Head Edition)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.