Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,478 members, 7,826,804 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 08:40 PM

Right To Live /right To Die....why Is Suicide Wrong? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Right To Live /right To Die....why Is Suicide Wrong? (933 Views)

British Mum Leaves Baby To Die During Sex Romp With A Nigerian(PIC) / Pls Discuss. Does Beating A Child Make Them Live Right? / We Hope To Die Same Day — 81-year-old Twins (photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Right To Live /right To Die....why Is Suicide Wrong? by tobechi74: 9:36pm On Nov 11, 2014
Just as it would be wrong to force people to die, so is it wrong to force people to endure conditions that they find to be unbearable.

The decision about whether to continue living in such conditions is among the most important that can be made. Just as people value having control over where to live, which occupation to pursue, whom to marry, and whether to have children, so people value having control over whether to continue living when quality of life deteriorates. That is why the right to life and the right to die are not two rights, but two aspects or descriptions of the same right. The right to life is the right to decide whether one willor will notcontinue living. The right to die is the right to decide whether one will die (when one could continue living). If the right to life were only a right to decide to continue living and did not also include a right to decide not to continue living, then it would be adutyto live rather than arightto life. The idea that there is a duty to continue living, regardless of how bad life has become, is an implausible one indeed.
Re: Right To Live /right To Die....why Is Suicide Wrong? by Kanwulia: 9:41pm On Nov 11, 2014
Not an ethical matter!
A matter of CHOICE!
Free world! kiss
Re: Right To Live /right To Die....why Is Suicide Wrong? by Nobody: 9:48pm On Nov 11, 2014
You assume that all people who want to die have a low quality life and go through difficult circumstances. This is not the case. Some people are mentally ill. Whatever the case is, difficult life circumstances or a mental illness, these people should be helped and not invited to end their lives.

I am a supporter of assisted dying if a person has an incurable illness from which she or he suffers so much that life is not worth living anymore; cancer for example that will sooner or later lead to death.
Re: Right To Live /right To Die....why Is Suicide Wrong? by adeyiga3(m): 9:55pm On Nov 11, 2014
What is the use of tryn to kill urself wen u will still end up dying. U commitn sucide is just like telln God u are done and that's why dere is this sayn dat ''When dere is LIFE there is HOPE''
Re: Right To Live /right To Die....why Is Suicide Wrong? by Mrval20(m): 10:16pm On Nov 11, 2014
I've always been of the opinion that people should be allowed to legally take their own lives. Some health conditions are just not worth struggling with, especially the non curable ones like brain cancer. Who even knows what happens after death? It might simply be a transition from one realm of existence to another, and who knows? This might give these people a chance to live a much better and fulfilled life.
I don't support committing suicide because life ain't fair to you though; that's plain stu.pidity.
Re: Right To Live /right To Die....why Is Suicide Wrong? by Nobody: 3:03am On Nov 12, 2014
You didn't beget yourself thus you have no right to terminate yourself but you have right to live your life !!!
Re: Right To Live /right To Die....why Is Suicide Wrong? by Mystiqme: 3:49am On Nov 12, 2014
donroxy:
You didn't beget yourself thus you have no right to terminate yourself but you have right to live your life !!!
Ok, let me play the devil's advocate.
I didn't beget myself, but I didn't ask to be begotten, so why can I not take my life? If someone gives you something you do not want, you reject it, don't you? In the same vein, life was given to me without my consultation, and after experiencing it for a while, I decide I am no longer interested, why can I not take my life?
Re: Right To Live /right To Die....why Is Suicide Wrong? by Nobody: 4:08am On Nov 12, 2014
Mystiqme:

Ok, let me play the devil's advocate.
I didn't beget myself, but I didn't ask to be begotten, so why can I not take my life?

If someone gives you something you do not want, you reject it, don't you? In the same vein, life was given to me without my consultation, and after experiencing it for a while, I decide I am no longer interested, why can I not take my life?

let me play along your devil's mentality ...

You asked to be begotten even you competed for it among millions of spermatozoa released by your dad only part of your substance fertilized your mother's egg to become whole you .... You shouldn't have speed so fast then and no need for you to be begotten grin grin

No, you were consulted , your father's pen:is became turgid and your mother released an egg and both of them were kolobying while you and million of others like you started convulsing your dad and forcefully releasing yourself from his sack with a jet speed while you are the most speedy among the millions ....

You were even selfish about life , immediately few of your properties fertilised your mother's egg , it developed a kinda shield restricting other 'spermatozoas' to have any impact on the fertilised egg again .... Million died on the journey , some swim so slow but you were so fast and struck your head against the egg within miliseconds others were deprived !!

There are many stakes involve to cause you to earth , it is not just your decision to come to this life and it must never be just your decision to terminate your life ....
Re: Right To Live /right To Die....why Is Suicide Wrong? by Mystiqme: 5:26am On Nov 12, 2014
donroxy:
let me play along your devil's mentality ...

You asked to be begotten even you competed for it among millions of spermatozoa released by your dad only part of your substance fertilized your mother's egg to become whole you .... You shouldn't have speed so fast then and no need for you to be begotten grin grin

No, you were consulted , your father's pen:is became turgid and your mother released an egg and both of them were kolobying while you and million of others like you started convulsing your dad and forcefully releasing yourself from his sack with a jet speed while you are the most speedy among the millions ....

You were even selfish about life , immediately few of your properties fertilised your mother's egg , it developed a kinda shield restricting other 'spermatozoas' to have any impact on the fertilised egg again .... Million died on the journey , some swim so slow but you were so fast and struck your head against the egg within miliseconds others were deprived !!

There are many stakes involve to cause you to earth , it is not just your decision to come to this life and it must never be just your decision to terminate your life ....
This is where we disagree....using ME at that stage assumes I made a conscious effort to ensure I was born, when I wasn't even conscious. You say I was consulted, and I was selfish, but then you say it wasn't my decision. That's contradictory. And if you say it wasn't my decision, why then do I have to live with someone else's decision about my life? I'm sure as a man you do not live by other folks decision about job, marriage, etc, do you?
Re: Right To Live /right To Die....why Is Suicide Wrong? by Mystiqme: 5:34am On Nov 12, 2014
Btw, to anyone considering suicide, SEEK HELP. I'm not arguing for suicide. I'm just following the OP's train of thought here.
Re: Right To Live /right To Die....why Is Suicide Wrong? by Nobody: 5:40am On Nov 12, 2014
Mystiqme:

This is where we disagree....using ME at that stage assumes I made a conscious effort to ensure I was born.
it is just unfortunate you couldn't remember same way you remember nothing in the womb and while getting delivered until few years you started knowing about your existence .... I could only remember my 3yo till now ... What happened Between year 0-3 I never remember but I discovered I made some decisions then which impacted my life till date ... !!

Your life is a microcosm of your father, mother, you and your unborn children .... Now see how many life you are terminating in you ..... you have no right to suicide urself unless for humanity's sake
Re: Right To Live /right To Die....why Is Suicide Wrong? by Mystiqme: 5:45am On Nov 12, 2014
donroxy:
it is just unfortunate you couldn't remember same way [b]you remember nothing in the womb [/b]and while getting delivered until few years you started knowing about your existence .... I could only remember my 3yo till now ... What happened Between year 0-3 I never remember but I discovered I made some decisions then which impacted my life till date ... !!

Your life is a microcosm of your father, mother, you and your unborn children .... Now see how many life [b]you are terminating [/b]in you .....you have no right to suicide urself unless for humanity's sake

Hahaha. Whose life am I terminating? I'm only enjoying myself.
BTW, I'm not even talking as far as the embryonic period, I'm talking of pre-embryogenesis, when you say I made certain decisions as sperm.
Re: Right To Live /right To Die....why Is Suicide Wrong? by Nobody: 5:50am On Nov 12, 2014
Mystiqme:
when you say I made certain decisions as sperm. [/i]
I'm only enjoying myself too and yes , you made certain decisions as spermatozoa .... You swimmed so fast and outrunned the rest grin infact , I read just now on nairaland that your speed then was @ 31mph faster than that of jaguar and usain bolt tongue
Re: Right To Live /right To Die....why Is Suicide Wrong? by Nobody: 7:49am On Nov 12, 2014
Any one who commits suicide, no matter how righteous he is, will go straight to hell...for he has sinned against God, by taking away his own life..

(1) (Reply)

Individual Or Joint Account: Which One Is The Best For Couples? / Please Help Solve This Statistics Problem / Help! Husband Refused To Teach His Daughter His Language, He Prefers Chinese

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.