Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,563 members, 7,820,034 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:46 AM

20 Things You Dont Know About Kumuyi - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / 20 Things You Dont Know About Kumuyi (5694 Views)

Pastor Kumuyi: Election Will Be Free, Fair And Widely Accepted / 20 Things About Kumuyi / 2014 Prophecy By W.f. Kumuyi Of Deeper Life (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

20 Things You Dont Know About Kumuyi by Vikkie14: 3:25am On Nov 12, 2014
Here are some things we dont know about this Man-of-God. He is really an outstanding preacher in all sense.
1. He was born on June 6, 1941 in Erin-Ijesha, Osun state.

2. He graduated with First-class degree in Mathematics from the University of Ibadan in 1967.

3. In April 2013, Kumuyi was named as one of the "500 most powerful people on the planet".

4. He draws/receives no salary from the work he does, instead the church sees to his upkeeps. The house he lived-in and the SUV he droves-in is owned by the church. He has NOTHING he can call his.

5. His church holds the position as the "single largest congregational church" in Africa and the 3rd largest in the world since the 80s.

6. Currently, his church is named as "world largest megachurch" according to www.foreignpolicy.com

7. He is an extremely humble man, his understanding of the Bible is quite enviable and astonishing. He has an excellent command of alliteration. If he were to speak on TEAM, you would heard him saying: Together Everybody Accomplishes More(TEAM).His collosal grasp of the scripture has made the submission that " he teaches the bible as if he was there when it was written".

8. He doesnt own a private jet.

9. He sold his car to support the gospel work in Ghana back in the 80s or late 70s.

10. His church offers the first "free food, free accommodation, free transportation" for participants in Nigeria Christendom.

11. The church he reluctantly started with 15 members in 1973 as Bible Study class has grown to over 1million membership in Nigeria alone with millions others in the rest of the world.

12. He has featured in a christian movie titled "The Snare" which will be released on screen this December. The film has been in the making since 2010 and it features local and international renowned artistes.

13. He is an Holiness preacher, an Author and a Televangelist.

14. His church has its own private high school dubbed "Deeper Life High School" (an highly advanced secondary school) in almost every states in Nigeria.

15. His church also has its own University called "Anchor University" in Abuja and Lagos (as proposed).

16. His Ultra modern Headquarters church in Lagos cost over N4billions. The edifice is a masterpiece with underground car park and 2 lift elevators inside the church. All the windows in the church are remotedly or electronically opened and closed. Even the roofing sheet they used is the first of such in Africa(according to the architect in-charge).

17. His church blue and white coloured, long buses procured by the church are all customised, including all the satellite dishes the church branches used for transmission.

18. He once tendered his letter of resignation as the G.S of the church during the controversy that trails his son's wedding despite the fact that he is the founder of the ministry. (i salute his leadership style on this).

19. He was once a lecturer at the University of Lagos. His studies at University of Ibadan was sponsored by the renowned Atheist, Tai Solarin.

20. He got born-again on April 4, 1964.

Follow this link to read Stephen Gyasi Jnr opinion : http://m.modernghana.com/mobile/447680/1/the-kumuyi-i-know.html

4 Likes

Re: 20 Things You Dont Know About Kumuyi by GboyegaD(m): 3:36am On Nov 12, 2014
I like his person and I pray God continue to uphold him till the end of his sojourn here on earth.

3 Likes

Re: 20 Things You Dont Know About Kumuyi by Omexonomy: 4:12am On Nov 12, 2014
I strongly disagree with 4 5 and 6
Re: 20 Things You Dont Know About Kumuyi by Vikkie14: 4:49am On Nov 12, 2014
Omexonomy:
I strongly disagree with 4 5 and 6
This is a free world, you can do the research on your own or better still, you may ask any of the member or perhap Leaders in the church about this especially number 4. The link is there for you to prove the authencity of it. Dont just make comment without evidence to buttress your point(s). #peace.
Re: 20 Things You Dont Know About Kumuyi by Dreyl(m): 5:39am On Nov 12, 2014
Ok
Re: 20 Things You Dont Know About Kumuyi by Elcemento(m): 5:40am On Nov 12, 2014
Baba niyen. smiley smiley

CHECK OUT MY SIGNATURE!!

Re: 20 Things You Dont Know About Kumuyi by Project400: 6:08am On Nov 12, 2014
What a manner of man...

1 Like

Re: 20 Things You Dont Know About Kumuyi by stinggy(m): 6:20am On Nov 12, 2014
Really?
He was sponsored through uni by an atheist.
Christians won't do that these days.

4. He draws/receives no salary from the work he does, instead the church sees to his upkeeps. The house he lived-in and the SUV he droves-in is owned by the church. He has NOTHING he can call his.

So what? Who owns the church?
Re: 20 Things You Dont Know About Kumuyi by vooks: 6:58am On Nov 12, 2014
Does he receive private gifts from church members?
I have seen many evangelicals claiming to have forfeited their monthly stipend/salary but they receive 'prophet's seed' and such (tips so to speak) that run into several times their forfeited salary.

The forfeiture is presented as a shining example of sacrifice and members are supposed to emulate but the average member can't match these unofficial income streams of the pastor.

Now, that's dishonest

stinggy:
Really?
He was sponsored through uni by an atheist.
Christians won't do that these days.

So what? Who owns the church?
Re: 20 Things You Dont Know About Kumuyi by stinggy(m): 7:52am On Nov 12, 2014
vooks:
Does he receive private gifts from church members?
I have seen many evangelicals claiming to have forfeited their monthly stipend/salary but they receive 'prophet's seed' and such (tips so to speak) that run into several times their forfeited salary.

The forfeiture is presented as a shining example of sacrifice and members are supposed to emulate but the average member can't match these unofficial income streams of the pastor.

Now, that's dishonest

What even strike is that the guy owns the church, so he has the right to spend whatever fraction of the church's money he wants. Why will I draw a salary scale for myself when I have the total fund at my disposal?
Re: 20 Things You Dont Know About Kumuyi by vooks: 8:01am On Nov 12, 2014
There is a strong positive correlation between control over church funds and the minister's fortunes

stinggy:

What even strike is that the guy owns the church, so he has the right to spend whatever fraction of the church's money he wants. Why will I draw a salary scale for myself when I have the total fund at my disposal?
Re: 20 Things You Dont Know About Kumuyi by stinggy(m): 8:15am On Nov 12, 2014
vooks:
There is a strong positive correlation between control over church funds and the minister's fortunes

Of course, that's how pentecostals are run.
Re: 20 Things You Dont Know About Kumuyi by vooks: 8:30am On Nov 12, 2014
And precisely for the same reason do you find that ONLY the ministers prosper with the probability of one out of one. The rest have a less than one probability of prospering.

Ministers will ALWAYS prosper but you (congregant/tither) may/may not prosper. This makes them bad examples of the efficacy of the prosperity gospel since with them there is no downside risk unlike you. cheesy
stinggy:

Of course, that's how pentecostals are run.

1 Like

Re: 20 Things You Dont Know About Kumuyi by Nobody: 9:13am On Nov 12, 2014
Who stopped him from buying a private jet ? The high school you are talking about is very expensive and most of his members can't afford the fees.
Re: 20 Things You Dont Know About Kumuyi by Vikkie14: 11:18am On Nov 12, 2014
vooks:

I get your point but the man we are talking about here doesnt do that. He doesn't preach about prosperity because according to him, he believe that there is a thin line between prosperity and covetousness. You will not agree with me on this that he doesn't receives salary or grants until you have an encounter with him or his church administration. #peace
Re: 20 Things You Dont Know About Kumuyi by Vikkie14: 11:23am On Nov 12, 2014
brito:
*Who stopped him from buying a private jet ?* The high school you are talking about is very expensive and most of his members can't afford the fees.

Only the spiritual could understand the things of the spirit. On the issue of the school, you could direct that to the School Administrative board or better still check the school website here www.dlhschools.com for more. #Peace
Re: 20 Things You Dont Know About Kumuyi by vooks: 11:31am On Nov 12, 2014
I don't know anything about the man and am not judging him in any way, just stating obvious facts.

There is a tendency to magnify your strengths against another's weaknesses making you appear like a demigod.

He may be prudent on money, a virtue in a shark infested evangelical community but dwelling on it reeks of self-righteousness. Recall the Pharisee who gloated to God over his squeaky clean tithing record?
Vikkie14:

I get your point but the man we are talking about here doesnt do that. He doesn't preach about prosperity because according to him, he believe that there is a thin line between prosperity and covetousness. You will not agree with me on this that he doesn't receives salary or grants until you have an encounter with him or his church administration. #peace
Re: 20 Things You Dont Know About Kumuyi by Vikkie14: 11:48am On Nov 12, 2014
vooks:
I don't know anything about the man and am not judging him in any way, just stating obvious facts.

There is a tendency to magnify your strengths against another's weaknesses making you appear like a demigod.

He may be prudent on money, a virtue in a shark infested evangelical community but dwelling on it reeks of self-righteousness. Recall the Pharisee who gloated to God over his squeaky clean tithing record?

Bro, i agree with you but the difference is that the pharisee publicly declare his own. This information is from an inside source and from the admin. not from the man. You can get the book written by Alan Isaacson called "Deeper Life" to get an indepth opinion of him.
Re: 20 Things You Dont Know About Kumuyi by Nobody: 12:28pm On Nov 12, 2014
Vikkie14:

Only the spiritual could understand the things of the spirit. On the issue of the school, you could direct that to the School Administrative board or better still check the school website here www.dlhschools.com for more. #Peace

I don't think you are spiritual, I respect this pastor too, if it's another church you'll agree that its too expensive
Re: 20 Things You Dont Know About Kumuyi by vooks: 12:35pm On Nov 12, 2014
No, the Pharisee prayed to God demonstrating his piety through tithing.

This is somewhat an apology, a defence for the man not sure from what
Vikkie14:

Bro, i agree with you but the difference is that the pharisee publicly declare his own. This information is from an inside source and from the admin. not from the man. You can get the book written by Alan Isaacson called "Deeper Life" to get an indepth opinion of him.
Re: 20 Things You Dont Know About Kumuyi by Vikkie14: 1:48pm On Nov 12, 2014
brito:

I don't think you are spiritual, I respect this pastor too, if it's another church you'll agree that its too expensive

No offence ma, am just trying to point out that am not that conversant with the school and that was why i have to post their site. I dont know how much they charged for each term, so my humble reservation. And on the issue of Jet, i humbly submit that only the spiritual could understand the things of the spirit. I dont think owning a jet is the problem, i think they are looking at the cost of service and maintainance. They must have seen the spiritual effect(murmuring and controversy) of that on their congregation hence the church decision. U misinterprete me. #peace.
Re: 20 Things You Dont Know About Kumuyi by paulGrundy(m): 3:09pm On Nov 12, 2014
vooks:

Even at that Kumuyi does not live an extravagant and materialistic lifestyle like most of our modern day pastors.
Re: 20 Things You Dont Know About Kumuyi by vooks: 3:50pm On Nov 12, 2014
I always wonder why the Pharisee felt need to remind God of his perfect tithing streak. Must be because few accomplished that feat. Made him special.

If this man has escaped the love of money which pierces many with sorrows, praise be to God, but materialism is not the only thing that ails the Body of Christ. He may excel there and flop elsewhere. Pastor Jon Coulson once said that whenever men compare their strengths with others' weaknesses, they seem like angels and others like demons.
paulGrundy:

Even at that Kumuyi does not live an extravagant and materialistic lifestyle like most of our modern day pastors.
Re: 20 Things You Dont Know About Kumuyi by paulGrundy(m): 3:54pm On Nov 12, 2014
vooks:
I always wonder why the Pharisee felt need to remind God of his perfect tithing streak. Must be because few accomplished that feat. Made him special.

If this man has escaped the love of money which pierces many with sorrows, praise be to God, but materialism is not the only thing that ails the Body of Christ. He may excel there and flop elsewhere. Pastor Jon Coulson once said that whenever men compare their strengths with others' weaknesses, they seem like angels and others like demons.

True. One thing is certain, no human is perfect, everyone has their weaknesses.
Re: 20 Things You Dont Know About Kumuyi by Image123(m): 8:50pm On Nov 12, 2014
The praise of men. You guys don't need to do that to pastor Kumuyi.
Re: 20 Things You Dont Know About Kumuyi by An2elect2(f): 8:55pm On Nov 12, 2014
vooks:

Vooks you are sooooo on point.

Let me tell you something about Kumuyi. He is a perfect example of a modern day pharisee. He preaches a kind of holiness that is not rooted in Christ but in self. Self righteousness aka i better pass you is what drives him and his members.

Are you familiar with a "doing"gospel? That gospel that says do this and do that and you will make heaven? That's deeper life for you!

They never emphasis Christ! He is seen most of the time as an example that others should follow. Even though they sing all the ancient hymns that talk about the amazing,perfect and completed work of Christ, as shocking as it may seem to you, they don't believe it!

They abhor the true gospel cos it doesn't give them room to boast.

I have been there not as an observer but as a full member.

God through Christ Jesus opened my eyes to this truth!
Re: 20 Things You Dont Know About Kumuyi by Vikkie14: 9:56pm On Nov 12, 2014
An2elect2:

Let me tell you something about Kumuyi. He is a perfect example of a modern day pharisee. He preaches a kind of holiness that is not rooted in Christ but in self. Self righteousness aka i better pass you is what drives him and his members.

Are you familiar with a "doing"gospel? That gospel that says do this and do that and you will make heaven? That's deeper life for you!

They never emphasis Christ! He is seen most of the time as an example that others should follow. Even though they sing all the ancient hymns that talk about the amazing,perfect and completed work of Christ, as shocking as it may seem to you, they don't believe it!

hmm... Son of man, calling a Man-of-God a 'modern day pharisee' is indirectly saying he is an 'hypocrite'. Let's remember we have to give honour unto whom honour is due so far he is termed "man of God, whether "God-called" or "belly-called". God is the judge of all. If you called him a pharisee, i wonder what you would call yourself-- a saint? Let's know that 'every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof, in the day of judgement' (Mat. 12:36). I dont think you are a member but JUST WANT TO DERAIL HIM AND APPEAR ONLINE AS A MEMBER to fulfill your agenda. I have gone there myself to do a COVERT investigations on their activities and this is my submission: all what you type about him and the church are FALSE. I dont rule out the fact that there's an holier-than-thou attitude but, what will you say if you were to encounter the PURITAN (people filled and saturated with the Holy Spirit in and out). They are still striving to be like the puritan. So bro, dont be a wolf in sheep clothing. Dont parade yourself as a member when you aint. #peace
Re: 20 Things You Dont Know About Kumuyi by Vikkie14: 10:19pm On Nov 12, 2014
Image123:
The praise of men. You guys don't need to do that to pastor Kumuyi.
No one is praising him. We are just showing the world his EXEMPLARY lifestyle in this corrupt and evil world. We know that there are some who has same quality lifestyle like him and even more than him but, they are rare. So, dont think we're praising him because that would mean WE HAVE TURN HIM TO GOD which in turn would make us hell fire worthy.
Re: 20 Things You Dont Know About Kumuyi by An2elect2(f): 10:28pm On Nov 12, 2014
Vikkie14:

hmm... Son of man, calling a Man-of-God a 'modern day pharisee' is indirectly saying he is an 'hypocrite'. Let's remember we have to give honour unto whom honour is due so fall he is termed "man of God, whether "God-called" or "belly-called". God is the judge of all. If you called him a pharisee, i wonder what you would call yourself-- a saint? Let's know that 'every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof, in the day of judgement' (Mat. 12:36)

Bla bla bla. Typical deeper life rant. Am i surprised? :'/

Pls Vikkie before you try preaching about judgement to me or anybody look at your deeper lifers who hold they key to judging and condemning people who do not appear like them. They are hypocrites who praise God with their lips only, trust in their works( which are dead works anyway),etc But i know you won't see these things cos you are part of them too.

Christians are free to judge(not condemn) rightly and not according to appearance John 7:24.

Am not claiming perfection. Nope. Someone is my perfection, my qualification and my righteousness. All these i possess through faith in Christ Jesus by His grace! Yep, free gift!
Re: 20 Things You Dont Know About Kumuyi by An2elect2(f): 10:38pm On Nov 12, 2014
[quote auI dont think you are a member but JUST WANT TO DERAIL HIM AND APPEAR ONLINE AS A MEMBER to fulfill your agenda. I have gone there myself to do a COVERT investigations on their activities and this is my submission: all what you type about him and the church are FALSE. I dont rule out the fact that there's an holier-than-thou attitude but, what will you say if you were to encounter the PURITAN (people filled and saturated with the Holy Spirit in and out). They are still striving to be like the puritan. So bro, dont be a wolf in sheep clothing. Dont parade yourself as a member when you aint. #peace[/quote]

I was a member.
Re: 20 Things You Dont Know About Kumuyi by Vikkie14: 1:46am On Nov 13, 2014
An2elect2:

Bla bla bla. Typical deeper life rant. Am i surprised? :'/

Pls Vikkie before you try preaching about judgement to me or anybody look at your deeper lifers who hold they key to judging and condemning people who do not appear like them. They are hypocrites who praise God with their lips only, trust in their works( which are dead works anyway),etc But i know you won't see these things cos you are part of them too.

Christians are free to judge(not condemn) rightly and not according to appearance John 7:24.

Am not claiming perfection. Nope. Someone is my perfection, my qualification and my righteousness. All these i possess through faith in Christ Jesus by His grace! Yep, free gift!

do i look like a Deeper Lifer to you? Pls, dnt quote me again pls
Re: 20 Things You Dont Know About Kumuyi by vooks: 4:21am On Nov 13, 2014
Wow!
May be that's why his members can't stop comparing him to the 'materialistic' 'jet flying' contemporaries.
And they are so easy at it.

Luke 11:10 (ESV)
Two men went up into the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. 11 The Pharisee, standing by himself, prayed thus: ‘God, I thank you that I am not like other men, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even like this tax collector. 12 I fast twice a week; I give tithes of all that I get.’

He is not like 'other men' wink
An2elect2:

(1) (2) (Reply)

Canaanland Ota Now Generates 15MW Of Electricity / Why I Am Catholic -former Pentecostal Pastor Relieves Experience / 7 Types Of Religions You Never Knew Existed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.