Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,763 members, 7,824,189 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:58 AM

NCAA Rules Made Me Reject $7000bonus - Courtney Dike - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / NCAA Rules Made Me Reject $7000bonus - Courtney Dike (1540 Views)

Courtney Dike Rejects U-20 Allowance! / Courtney Dike Celebrates Second Place U-20 Finish With Brother / Is Courtney Dike The Finest And The Sexiest Female Footballer Ever? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

NCAA Rules Made Me Reject $7000bonus - Courtney Dike by busky101(m): 4:13am On Nov 12, 2014
The Falconets’ forward has cleared the
air on why she did not take the $7000
she was given by the Nigerian
government for her part at the U20
Women World CUp
Nigeria U20 Women forward, Courtney Dike, has
finally declared the reason for her refusal to
accept the $7000 bonus given her by the
government, stating that it was due to rules
governing her status as a student athlete under
the National Collegiate Athletics Association
(NCAA).
The NCAA is the governing body of all college
sports in the United States of America.
The 19-year-old’s statement confirmed Goal’s
exclusive in which we explained the restrictions
on collegiate athletes from accepting payment fo
participating in sport as the NCAA considers all
student athletes as amateurs who should not
earn money apart from camp dues while doing
sport.
An acceptance of the bonus would have meant
losing her almost $35,000 annual football
scholarship at the Oklahoma State University
under NCAA rules.
Dike, a business accounting major, released her
statement via the office of the media officer of th
Nigeria Football Federation on Tuesday.
“I would like to respond to what I have been
reading on the internet about rejecting bonuses,
said Dike.
“I am delighted to play for Nigeria whenever
called upon. I knew before leaving for the U-20
World Cup that I would not accept any bonuses.
“Acceptance of prize money is against NCAA
regulations (the division 1 collegiate governing
body) here in the US, so that is the main reason
for rejecting it.
“Knowing this beforehand, I still chose to
represent the country because I believed the
experience would be more valuable than the
money, and I was right,” she said.
Dike scored two goals, including the
tournament’s fastest ever goal, as the Falconets
reached the final where they lost 1-0 to
Germany.
Link below
www.goal.com/en-ng/news/4093/nigeria/2014/11/11/6057731/ncaa-rules-made-me-reject-7000-bonus-courtney-dike?ICID=HP_HN_1

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: NCAA Rules Made Me Reject $7000bonus - Courtney Dike by bigtt76(f): 4:35am On Nov 12, 2014
I for wonder weda she nor get true Naira blood tongue
Re: NCAA Rules Made Me Reject $7000bonus - Courtney Dike by Raiders: 4:47am On Nov 12, 2014
Corrupt NCAA making billion of dollars off students but don't pay them or allow them to get paid

1 Like

Re: NCAA Rules Made Me Reject $7000bonus - Courtney Dike by Dreyl(m): 5:07am On Nov 12, 2014
NCAA is trash,so that's the reason why she didn't accept the bonus.atleast accepting and giving out to the needy is commendable she will have more blessing,i wish her goodluck tho.
Re: NCAA Rules Made Me Reject $7000bonus - Courtney Dike by DesChyko: 5:40am On Nov 12, 2014
NCAA tried with that rule.
With this move, they're instilling patriotism and love for sport in the students, not to forget the discipline as well.
Knowing they're in it for nothing, they still give their best (as in Dike's case).
In my opinion, Nigeria should take one step further and liase with them.
All Nigerians, especially the young ones, should attend courses in an NCAA-esque institution where they can be given lessons on patriotism.
This 'wanting-gain-all-the-time' mentality is the reason greed is driving our country to the pits of hell in all quarters.

3 Likes

Re: NCAA Rules Made Me Reject $7000bonus - Courtney Dike by StealthyMe(m): 6:19am On Nov 12, 2014
Yeah...why risk losing $35,000 for $7000
Eh eh.. i for fear grin

Shockwave91...this is her reason o

1 Like

Re: NCAA Rules Made Me Reject $7000bonus - Courtney Dike by busky101(m): 7:41am On Nov 12, 2014
Dreyl:
NCAA is trash,so that's the reason why she didn't accept the bonus.atleast accepting and giving out to the needy is commendable she will have more blessing,i wish her goodluck tho.
you didn't see where she stated that she would have lost an annual $35,000 annual football scholarship if she accepted the chicken change from NFF

1 Like

Re: NCAA Rules Made Me Reject $7000bonus - Courtney Dike by Dreyl(m): 8:53am On Nov 12, 2014
busky101:
you didn't see where she stated that she would have lost an annual $35,000 annual football scholarship if she accepted the chicken change from NFF
but why would they restrict her from collecting the money while they are also corrupt,what's actually wrong in taking bonus for the country you played for i don't really understand and besides the money you call chicken change is like billion of naira to some less privilege out there.
Re: NCAA Rules Made Me Reject $7000bonus - Courtney Dike by busky101(m): 10:57am On Nov 12, 2014
Dreyl:
but why would they restrict her from collecting the money while they are also corrupt,what's actually wrong in taking bonus for the country you played for i don't really understand and besides the money you call chicken change is like billion of naira to some less privilege out there.
can u lose an annual allowance of 35000 bucks just for a one time 7000 dollars u don't know when next you get such chance again...that's what I meant by chicken change bro
Re: NCAA Rules Made Me Reject $7000bonus - Courtney Dike by Dreyl(m): 1:26pm On Nov 12, 2014
busky101:
can u lose an annual allowance of 35000 bucks just for a one time 7000 dollars u don't know when next you get such chance again...that's what I meant by chicken change bro
ok
Re: NCAA Rules Made Me Reject $7000bonus - Courtney Dike by Nobody: 6:16pm On Nov 15, 2014
StealthyMe:
Yeah...why risk losing $35,000 for $7000
Eh eh.. i for fear grin

Shockwave91...this is her reason o
Boss i jst but d most idiyotic phone and i wan die 4 hia o. Sowi 4 d late reply. She don go find legit xcuse

1 Like

Re: NCAA Rules Made Me Reject $7000bonus - Courtney Dike by StealthyMe(m): 9:53pm On Nov 15, 2014
shockwave91:

Boss i jst but d most idiyotic phone and i wan die 4 hia o. Sowi 4 d late reply. She don go find legit xcuse

Sorry ehn...we still dey manage our 3310 hia sad

Abi nah...but e fit true ooo

The main thing wey we wan hear na wia the money go go...which dem neva ansa cheesy
Re: NCAA Rules Made Me Reject $7000bonus - Courtney Dike by Nobody: 10:41pm On Nov 15, 2014
StealthyMe:

Sorry ehn...we still dey manage our 3310 hia sad

Abi nah...but e fit true ooo

The main thing wey we wan hear na wia the money go go...which dem neva ansa cheesy
Jst open amaju shitnik pocket, i swear u go c am
Re: NCAA Rules Made Me Reject $7000bonus - Courtney Dike by StealthyMe(m): 10:57pm On Nov 15, 2014
shockwave91:

Jst open amaju shitnik pocket, i swear u go c am

Lol! cheesy
Mr.Amaju hehe grin
Re: NCAA Rules Made Me Reject $7000bonus - Courtney Dike by uzolexis(f): 12:19pm On Nov 24, 2014
fair enough,we still love you for making us proud.
Re: NCAA Rules Made Me Reject $7000bonus - Courtney Dike by busky101(m): 12:44pm On Nov 24, 2014
uzolexis:
fair enough,we still love you for making us proud.
when will u make us proud?

(1) (Reply)

Neymar Join Lionel Messi In Trolling Gerard Pique / Messi Knew Neymar Would Cause Problems In PSG – New Report Reveals / Jose Mourinho V Liverpool Over The Years

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.