Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,974 members, 7,817,868 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:42 PM

Dangote Refinery To Start Production In 2018 - Business (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Dangote Refinery To Start Production In 2018 (23571 Views)

Emefiele Predicts Economic Boom For Nigeria In 2018 / Dangote Refinery Will Fetch $6bn Forex Yearly - CBN / Fuel Importation Will End In 2018 – Aganga (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Dangote Refinery To Start Production In 2018 by Ikwerreboy(m): 8:55am On Nov 18, 2014
nandyz:
when good things comes ur way,,,,,, appreciate God for he will do more... for d inspiration of building refinery by dangote group of company,,,,,,, may almighty God bless him d more.... I use this opportunity to summit mine CV ...... Nwaokoro Andrew Nduka ...... Elect n Elect (power n machine)...(HND).... ability to work n improvement of d industries... contact at mine Google mail nandyandrew34@gmail.com

When u go get sense?
Re: Dangote Refinery To Start Production In 2018 by Williamso(m): 8:57am On Nov 18, 2014
a9nyc2020:
yeah...u might not see it now...I tell u after it's (refinery) completion, u will eventually si it...9ja's economy is very dependent on dis man about (35%) of revenue comes 4rm him...so y u do u tink its gonna be a diff story dis time...?

Yeah I do not see it now because right now, there is no monopoly.

Monopoly is not just about dominating the market, but dominating the market through unfair practices. Right now, and for the immediate forseeable future, he will be the only owner of a private refinery. There's no competitor to bully (like he did in the cement industry), thus, no monopoly.
Re: Dangote Refinery To Start Production In 2018 by izikjon(m): 9:07am On Nov 18, 2014
Welcomed development #Dangote
Re: Dangote Refinery To Start Production In 2018 by Nobody: 9:11am On Nov 18, 2014
Qoigord:

Can you please keep tribalism out of this thread?
What is tribalistic about the truth?
Re: Dangote Refinery To Start Production In 2018 by smallJagaban: 9:15am On Nov 18, 2014
Williamso:

Camela, Glassforce, IVM, nigergas, nigersteel, etc etc... Those are just the ones I could think of off my head...

ARE THESE WHAT YOU CALL MAJOR INVESTMENTS?

1 Like

Re: Dangote Refinery To Start Production In 2018 by Williamso(m): 9:22am On Nov 18, 2014
smallJagaban:

Please give me some examples so I can have a yardstick. Thanks.
Re: Dangote Refinery To Start Production In 2018 by Tokunbohkinibig: 9:24am On Nov 18, 2014
ceejay80s:
2018 ?
If naija never divide by then

Even at that, Dangote and Northerners are welcome in south west- Odua Nation anytime anyday. You know why? Northerners are very peaceful and respectful in any community they find themselves. If you doubt me, walk to any Sabo in South west, you ll see them doing their businesses without disrespecting their hosts.

Frankly speaking, the fear of where do i move my businesses to is left for d Ibos. I have advised their new generation on this platform and others as to where- East to build their businesses so as to avoid heavy tax as business immigrants or becoming illegal immigrants with all their businesses in Odua Nation. They need to have a well-calculated plan Like Dangote who avoids Eastern part of d country when it comes to his business empire expansion. Ve u ask yourself simple question, Why did he-Dangote builds his business empire around Odua Nation and middle belt-North/South Central-must it be North Central haba? Lets put South central joor. The answer to that question is not far fetched bro, d answer is just right there to smart dudes. If you ask me, well calculated moves towards eventuality of violent or peaceful separation.

However, i don't see well-cultured and respectful one among Igbos having issues in Odua Nation. How i wish they could be less arrogant like all these peaceful, respectful and quiet Hausas who r making their millions in all over the places(Sabo in different states within Odua nation).
Re: Dangote Refinery To Start Production In 2018 by malbro(m): 9:35am On Nov 18, 2014
Fact about Dangote.....Industries.....Do u knw dat 40% of Dangote workers re Indians. And of all Dis they re be paid as expertriates....Do u knw dat an Engineer in Dangote recieves a monthly salary of 130k in a month...ie level 8...while an indian in same level is paid 3 to 4 times higher.....Plz ppl verify we'll bf u comment...dis iss more 2 Dangote dan u hear

1 Like

Re: Dangote Refinery To Start Production In 2018 by lastpage: 9:36am On Nov 18, 2014
major466:

To cary out a thorough maintenance work on our existing refineries to make them operate at 100 percent capacity will not be cost effective. It will be a total waste of funds. This is because the four refineries are so old that components needed for their maintainance and upkeep are not in production worldwide.
This quack mire was brought about by economic centralization (a policy of excessive government monopoly) for many years since 1975 until about 2006 when the sector was opened up for private sector participation in petrochemicals development.
Unfortunately the private sector had not been able to make use of this opportunity because petroleum products prices are still being regulated. No investor especially foreign investors will invest in a regulated economy were prices are fixed. That's why no refineries were build even after seven or more licenses were approved to begin construction of refineries. It was as a result of this delima that the present government in January 2012 attempted to completely remove fuel subsidy and allow market forces to control prices to encourage private investors to build refineries but Nigerians kicked against the removal.
Dangote is building the refineries out of patriotism
because he's a Nigerian and a wealthy one at that. He can afford to build a refinery and still make a substantial profit even in the present condition of government intervention in prices.

Please STOP regurgitating this nonsense and failed argument!
First, a businessman (or the typical investor) is not a charity organisation and they have zero moral code, especially in a corrupt environment like Nigeria!. They are just after more and more money! It is NEVER enough.... even if you raise the price of Petrol to #2,000 per Litre!

Secondly, The private sector is NOT interested in building any refinery. All those "investors" are nothing but "Profit takers and Asset strippers"
Checkout what they did to our Steel Plants that was sold to them at knockdown prices/ They simply strip the assest like steel billets and sold it to recoup their investment, with profit and forgot about any plough-back into the business.

Again, look at the Power Sector, after all the incentive and tariff increases, how many power plants have been put on stream by private investors in the last Eight years (since under Obasanjo)? Has Power become stable? NO!

Again, let me remind you that Dangote is not building refineries or Cement plants because of PATRIOTISM! He is doing it because he has done his "calculations" and knows there is a lot of money to be made! He is a businessman, not some charity cheerleader!

Subsidy has been shown to be a SCAM as it does not translate to a cheaper product price nor does it increase availability.
You can claim to be subsidizing what you are already selling above cost price

To keep saying "INCREASE IN PRICE" is the only solution for "availability and stability", is mere foolishness!
It will never happen!

Its either Government puts in-place measures to "FORCE" anyone who buys into the Sector to invest a certain percentage of their income, into building the sector (for example, like every 35% of money made from tariffs by any DISCO must be invested (or pooled) towards building a new Power plant)......

........... Government does a "build and sell" of Power Plants and Refineries if it does not want to be involved in the management of these sort of assets.
Government build it and sells it to private investors who will recoup back their money from tariffs.

The fact that none of this TWO OPTIONS has happened means that the government is either clueless or is part of the corruption.
It does not surprise anyone if you look at the owners of the DISCOS, for example.

The Government in the U.K has just signed a private Contract to build another Nuclear Power plant but we all know that sales of power in the U.K is managed by private operators ..... in a "build and sell" business model.
Why are they not waiting for "private Investors" to build their refineries and power plants for them as is Nigeria's case ... or just continue to increase tariff until some investors come out and shout: Oga, this money is enough for us naah!, we will now build Power Plant for you? grin grin

Lastpage!

1 Like

Re: Dangote Refinery To Start Production In 2018 by lastmessenger: 9:59am On Nov 18, 2014
naijababe:

You know how Dangote made his money, if it was that easy why aren't you doing the same undecided undecided undecided

Many comments here reek of shameful and gross ignorance. Oil refining is one of the most difficult businesses in the world. Margins are often tight even in the most developed nations where most ends can sell for profit. What I'd like to know is what sort of pricing Dangote will be negotiating with the FG, will he buy at open market price or a competitive price where he will not only pocket all the savings and pass all the costs to us? It's early days to be rejoicing
We'll even if I have the chance I will not try to make money like dangote did. We know he has been exploiting Nigerians with his monopoly. If you think that I am not saying the truth google the average price of cement in the world and you will find out how one man has enslaved the whole nation and made it difficult for some of our young men to build house.
Let me ask you a simple question? Now that dangote has decided to reduce the price of cement to 1k, do you think he is going to loose money or not going to make profit? my bro open your eyes. There is no sentiment here. Dangote has always been aided by the government through their policies.i am not saying he is not hardworking am only against greed.
We'll you ask me why i am not taking the steps of dangote.my first answer is that none of my relations has connections to the military government nor the democratic government but even if I had such connections like he did, I will not be greedy like him.
Yes I still commend him for creation jobs for the youths
Re: Dangote Refinery To Start Production In 2018 by drnoel: 10:35am On Nov 18, 2014
kmariko:
Dangote’s Lagos refinery to start operations by mid-2018

AN oil refinery, being promoted by Dangote Group, is expected to come on-stream latest by the first half of 2018, in Lagos.

The plant will be able to process 500,000 barrels of crude a day, according to Dangote Industries’ operations director for petroleum refining, George Nicolaides, in an interview at the Platts African Refining Summit in Cape Town Monday.

“The site is being cleared, the plant is being designed,” Nicolaides said, adding that the organization is “close to the beginning of detailed engineering.”

In September last year, Dangote said it had agreed on a $3.3 billion loan with 12 Nigerian and foreign lenders to build the refinery as well as a petrochemical and fertilizer complex costing a total of $9 billion.

At that time, the facility in Africa’s biggest economy was expected to be completed in 2016 and the initial capacity of the refinery was put at 400,000 barrels a day.

“We have a very ambitious construction schedule,” Nicolaides said. “I’m not sure about the history of those dates.”

While Nigeria is Africa’s top producer of crude oil, it relies on fuel imports to meet more than 70 percent of its needs. Four state refineries with a combined capacity of 445,000 barrels a day are operating at a fraction of that because of poor maintenance and aging equipment.

Dangote selected Engineers India Ltd. to do most of the detailed engineering work for the new plant. Construction contractors were yet to be appointed.

“Supplying the local market is the primary objective,” Nicolaides said. “Naturally we can move product to the region. The government is being very supportive, very enthusiastic about this project. We are not looking for or wanting any particular subsidies.”

Guardian: Monday, 17 November 2014 19:45
Written by EDITOR
Category: Business News

SOURCE: www.ngrguardiannews.com/business/186952-dangote-s-lagos-refinery-to-start-operations-by-mid-2018

If oil prices are falling. Is this wise?
Re: Dangote Refinery To Start Production In 2018 by Nobody: 11:08am On Nov 18, 2014
Williamso:

I don't get. Please explain.

One of the major detriments to our economy is the fact that we keep importing refined petroleum products. Refining our own will cut this practice and possibly enable us export if we refine above our local consumption. Despite the fact that this refinery will create thousands of jobs during construction and operation stages.

So please, WHAT ARE YOU SAYING/TYPING??

The current refineries in this country aren't working up to full capacity. We're an oil producing country who imports oil and refined oil produce. There's little or no job opportunities available and the price of petroleum in an oil producing country is on the rise. Yes, the refinery will create job opportunities but how will this help boost exportation in the long run and reduce dependence on importation?
Many countries abroad have started diverting from oil and gas to bio fuel for generating power. With this new finding, can you please explain to me how this will help in our exportation of oil produce?
Re: Dangote Refinery To Start Production In 2018 by LajaLaba: 11:15am On Nov 18, 2014
Wittylens:
Why didn't he give the contract to Nigerian Engineers?

Or are our engineers not good enough?
Bla bla bla
Re: Dangote Refinery To Start Production In 2018 by LajaLaba: 11:20am On Nov 18, 2014
smallJagaban:

U don't have a point Oga
Re: Dangote Refinery To Start Production In 2018 by Williamso(m): 11:32am On Nov 18, 2014
Qoigord:
The current refineries in this country aren't working up to full capacity. We're an oil producing country who imports oil and refined oil produce.
We do not import oil.

There's little or no job opportunities available and the price of petroleum in an oil producing country is on the rise.
While there are no job opportunities, I still cannot understand how building and operating a refinery will create less jobs than importing already refined oil and storing in tank farms. How many people do you need to run a tank farm? Contrast that with a refinery.

Yes, the refinery will create job opportunities but how will this help boost exportation in the long run and reduce dependence on importation?[/b]
As for boosting exportation, when we produce more than we need, where will the excess go? Besides, it's a private sector investment, with competent professionals who will 'source' for the market. I believe we both know private sector businesses function a lot better than public sector so this should not be disputed. As for reducing dependence on importation, when we produce what we need, to the capacity we need, why should we import? If you have a water purification and bagging (pure water) plant, will you be buying sachet water outside??

Many countries abroad have started diverting from oil and gas to bio fuel for generating power. With this new finding, can you please explain to me how this will help in our exportation of oil produce?
While countries have started diverting to bio-fuel, I dare say it's only a handful of countries, and not many like you believe. Even the ones that have moved to bio-fuel are still (heavily) dependent on fossil fuel. There are about 192 countries registered under UN, plus a few others; I challenge you to mention 30 making major breakthroughs in bio-fuel technology.

Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Dangote Refinery To Start Production In 2018 by Austin234(m): 12:21pm On Nov 18, 2014
Dats a giant stride from Dangote Group. May God help him to actualise dis dream. Amen
Re: Dangote Refinery To Start Production In 2018 by mikolo80: 1:07pm On Nov 18, 2014
nvnnyz:
Y did he not build it in kano or in the NE states

***edited***
Please is there any cheat I can use to move a thread to front page sad
wetin you take ur school fees do. jewo
go and research criteria for siting an industry
Re: Dangote Refinery To Start Production In 2018 by edogho(m): 1:14pm On Nov 18, 2014
fine words lastpage, i see sense in your quoting me. i'm just trying to be wary of d fact that no one knows his take on the situations in d country. i mean if he's a sharia lover or not or d type of muslim d bh boys are or not. if he's in dis two categories and he's ursurping all the important needs, mi bro, i just pray i run leave nigeria before d wahala start buh i pray its for d greater good for i believe i'm d realistic kind. i just want to be careful so we'll not make mistake simple....
Re: Dangote Refinery To Start Production In 2018 by prudentcy(m): 1:29pm On Nov 18, 2014
F117AA:
Yes it may seem that way first, but it won't remain that way for long if the business is successful.
Nigerians(igbos) are always there to dilute any potential monopoly.
[size=8pt]
grin
Re: Dangote Refinery To Start Production In 2018 by anochuko01(m): 1:50pm On Nov 18, 2014
i'm working towards getting a big oil job by 2018...
Re: Dangote Refinery To Start Production In 2018 by Nokia3330: 2:05pm On Nov 18, 2014
lastpage:

Please STOP regurgitating this nonsense and failed argument!
First, a businessman (or the typical investor) is not a charity organisation and they have zero moral code, especially in a corrupt environment like Nigeria!. They are just after more and more money! It is NEVER enough.... even if you raise the price of Petrol to #2,000 per Litre!

Secondly, The private sector is NOT interested in building any refinery. All those "investors" are nothing but "Profit takers and Asset strippers"
Checkout what they did to our Steel Plants that was sold to them at knockdown prices/ They simply strip the assest like steel billets and sold it to recoup their investment, with profit and forgot about any plough-back into the business.

Again, look at the Power Sector, after all the incentive and tariff increases, how many power plants have been put on stream by private investors in the last Eight years (since under Obasanjo)? Has Power become stable? NO!

Again, let me remind you that Dangote is not building refineries or Cement plants because of PATRIOTISM! He is doing it because he has done his "calculations" and knows there is a lot of money to be made! He is a businessman, not some charity cheerleader!

Subsidy has been shown to be a SCAM as it does not translate to a cheaper product price nor does it increase availability.
You can claim to be subsidizing what you are already selling above cost price

To keep saying "INCREASE IN PRICE" is the only solution for "availability and stability", is mere foolishness!
It will never happen!

Its either Government puts in-place measures to "FORCE" anyone who buys into the Sector to invest a certain percentage of their income, into building the sector (for example, like every 35% of money made from tariffs by any DISCO must be invested (or pooled) towards building a new Power plant)......

........... Government does a "build and sell" of Power Plants and Refineries if it does not want to be involved in the management of these sort of assets.
Government build it and sells it to private investors who will recoup back their money from tariffs.

The fact that none of this TWO OPTIONS has happened means that the government is either clueless or is part of the corruption.
It does not surprise anyone if you look at the owners of the DISCOS, for example.

The Government in the U.K has just signed a private Contract to build another Nuclear Power plant but we all know that sales of power in the U.K is managed by private operators ..... in a "build and sell" business model.
Why are they not waiting for "private Investors" to build their refineries and power plants for them as is Nigeria's case ... or just continue to increase tariff until some investors come out and shout: Oga, this money is enough for us naah!, we will now build Power Plant for you? grin grin

Lastpage!

I just liked your post above... I concur with all you have said on this thread.
Re: Dangote Refinery To Start Production In 2018 by malbro(m): 5:54pm On Nov 18, 2014
shocked
Re: Dangote Refinery To Start Production In 2018 by Footsoldier(m): 6:25pm On Nov 18, 2014
Fresh air. What happened to PIB?
Re: Dangote Refinery To Start Production In 2018 by raymondinc(m): 8:13pm On Nov 18, 2014
Oh may the good lord bless Dangote! This man is trying to liberate Nigeria from falling prey to other countries even if his gotta motive of doing this. He is already a rich man whom in his next generation can never be poor again. I can't really estimate correctly how many jobs opportunities he has created in addition to more vacancy this development is going to pave way for.
How many of our past leaders would want to help build this nation with the sole aim of putting food on poor and jobless people's table?
What did Obasanjo do for this nation? He approved cell phones into this country with the interest that he's got percentage from both its Network and phones. A man who never had anything, but today he own one part of Ogun state, hectares of land where he named Atta farm. Knowing what he has done, he went ahead setting up a commission (EFCC) that can never probe him since he stands to be their founder. What really has he contributed to this nation? And yet we stand and criticize a man whose from his struggles and effort had chosen to uplift this country if we all stand up to support him. Dangote, may God bless you.
Re: Dangote Refinery To Start Production In 2018 by gnykelly(m): 9:56pm On Nov 18, 2014
May almighty Allah bless this man. more investment. more job..
Re: Dangote Refinery To Start Production In 2018 by Nobody: 11:42pm On Nov 18, 2014
lastmessenger:

We'll even if I have the chance I will not try to make money like dangote did. We know he has been exploiting Nigerians with his monopoly. If you think that I am not saying the truth google the average price of cement in the world and you will find out how one man has enslaved the whole nation and made it difficult for some of our young men to build house.
Let me ask you a simple question? Now that dangote has decided to reduce the price of cement to 1k, do you think he is going to loose money or not going to make profit? my bro open your eyes. There is no sentiment here. Dangote has always been aided by the government through their policies.i am not saying he is not hardworking am only against greed.
We'll you ask me why i am not taking the steps of dangote.my first answer is that none of my relations has connections to the military government nor the democratic government but even if I had such connections like he did, I will not be greedy like him.
Yes I still commend him for creation jobs for the youths

@ the bolded:

Is Dangote the only cement manufacturer in Nigeria?

Ibeto cement, Sokoto cement, BUA cement, UNICEM, Larfage, etc. Weren't all this cement importers/manufacturers selling at averagely same price with Dangote, whereas the cost of producing/importing cement is less than N600 ?

Had other cement producers/importers decide to sell at a lesser price, won't people buy from them? Won't they have forced Dangote to also cut down his price?
Re: Dangote Refinery To Start Production In 2018 by puppy2k(m): 6:34am On Nov 19, 2014
But why site it in Lagos .is there no land in Kano..abi he dey fear BH ?

because I schooled in guinea
Re: Dangote Refinery To Start Production In 2018 by lastmessenger: 7:04am On Nov 19, 2014
TheLight001:

@ the bolded:

Is Dangote the only cement manufacturer in Nigeria?

Ibeto cement, Sokoto cement, BUA cement, UNICEM, Larfage, etc. Weren't all this cement importers/manufacturers selling at averagely same price with Dangote, whereas the cost of producing/importing cement is less than N600 ?

Had other cement producers/importers decide to sell at a lesser price, won't people buy from them? Won't they have forced Dangote to also cut down his price?
I am happy that you are now getting the picture. Thank God that you have now confirmed the price of importing cement to be about 600. Now my point is that dangote among all those companies that you mantioned are more like the biggest player in the sector and should be the guy to channel the price if really he has human sympathy.people like Ibeto are just bloody importer of cement who is all out to exploit our people. Now my argument is that dangote and the other people owns plants in Nigeria and enjoys government tax cuts, nearness to raw materials, cheap labour and all that yet these guys imporverish tha whole nation with by selling something that should have been sold less than 1k to Nigerians over 2k. I remember one time the federal government had to intervene.
So get my point dangote and his friends are greedy people who does not give thought about the welfare of ordinary Nigerians.
I thank God he is beginning to realise himself with his recent price slash in cement.
Re: Dangote Refinery To Start Production In 2018 by Nobody: 7:26am On Nov 19, 2014
lastmessenger:

I am happy that you are now getting the picture. Thank God that you have now confirmed the price of importing cement to be about 600. Now my point is that dangote among all those companies that you mantioned are more like the biggest player in the sector and should be the guy to channel the price if really he has human sympathy.people like Ibeto are just bloody importer of cement who is all out to exploit our people. Now my argument is that dangote and the other people owns plants in Nigeria and enjoys government tax cuts, nearness to raw materials, cheap labour and all that yet these guys imporverish tha whole nation with by selling something that should have been sold less than 1k to Nigerians over 2k. I remember one time the federal government had to intervene.
So get my point dangote and his friends are greedy people who does not give thought about the welfare of ordinary Nigerians.
I thank God he is beginning to realise himself with his recent price slash in cement.

I am not defending Dangote or any1. What I'm trying to point out is the fact that people do point accusing fingers on him alone, neglecting the other guys claiming he (Dangote) has monopoly in the industry.

Dangote has no monopoly, what he has is market dominance, and he has that because he invest in larger production capacities than his competitors, plus he also invest in larger distributing network.

People do claim that Dangote is trying to kill his competitors by slashing the price of his cement to N1,000. What I say is no cement producer/importer will die from selling cement @ N1,000, because they won't be selling at lost.
Re: Dangote Refinery To Start Production In 2018 by Scout60(m): 7:56am On Nov 19, 2014
AJINATU:
Let those who sell fake drugs and second hand clothes inside their 2x2 inches shop continue to deceive themsleves about how they control the economy of Lagos while real enterpreneurs put their money where their mouth is

Only dangote is a real man now... Ur fada, brodas are fake men
Re: Dangote Refinery To Start Production In 2018 by Tinyemeka(m): 9:02am On Nov 19, 2014
AJINATU:
Let those who sell fake drugs and second hand clothes inside their 2x2 inches shop continue to deceive themsleves about how they control the economy of Lagos while real enterpreneurs put their money where their mouth is
Which people are they?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

11 Ways To Make Money At NYSC Orientation Camp As A Coper Or Non-coper / My Experience With Facebook Fake Aliko Dangote -photos / Nigerian Currency Crisis Explained: What We Know And Don’t Know - Bloomberg

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 125
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.